PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard to be announced as member of Nike Jordan Brand

bklynspursfan
11-02-2013, 04:10 PM

BillMc
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
"It must be the shoes!" :toast

hooperflash
11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
"It's gotta be the shoes!" :tu

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kPH0ZxIXBA8/S0Hy1EFkJJI/AAAAAAAAFjE/mZZii5dxFrM/s400/air-jordan-spizike-its-gotta-be-the-shoes-tshirt-5-615x647.jpg

dylankerouac
11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
"Look at those shoes!" :flag:

hooperflash
11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Congrats my dude, he's just living the dream! Jordan Approved!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1425687_737107992970770_475983782_n.jpg

loveforthegame
11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Sweet. Congrats Leonard. :tu

gambit1990
11-02-2013, 05:06 PM
well deserved :toast

have any other players been a part of the jordan brand while playing for the spurs? michael finley was a part of it if i'm not mistaken, but i'm not sure if he still was when he played for us.

heyheymymy
11-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Aw shit Nike buys teams championships to sell shoes so this is a great sign.

DJR210
11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
have any other players been a part of the jordan brand while playing for the spurs?

Derek Anderson

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Does this mean something beyond his bank account?

I guess I'll congratulate him on making more money...

Yay.

Now- does this win more games?

No?

Then I couldn't care less.

DJR210
11-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Yay.

No?

Then I couldn't care less. Good for you.

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Good for you.

Thank you. I knew you cared.

You're a good man, looking out for me as you do...

Still could care less about his bank account.

You keep posting though...

I'm sure it makes you feel... better or something.

HI-FI
11-02-2013, 08:15 PM

exactly.

Clipper Nation
11-02-2013, 08:17 PM
have any other players been a part of the jordan brand while playing for the spurs?
SJax?

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 08:17 PM

That would be pretty cool, if true.

Too bad he's not the only one under that brand's umbrella...

apalisoc_9
11-02-2013, 08:18 PM
SJax?

I think his contract ended after Charlotte.

BatManu20
11-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Sick! Well deserved.

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Yay.

No?

Then I couldn't care less.

Well some players do care about maximizing their earning potential (which is why you see players that want to go to LA, NY etc.). I don't think Kawhi is like that but it is good for the Spurs to have their players getting deals like these.

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Well some players do care about maximizing their earning potential (which is why you see players that want to go to LA, NY etc.). I don't think Kawhi is like that but it is good for the Spurs to have their players getting deals like these.

You're right. They do.

Good for him.

Yet- does this affect the Spurs, one way or another?

Hooray for his bank account. Now he makes even more money.

He's a 1 percenter. Congrats.

Cool?

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 08:46 PM
You're right. They do.

Good for him.

Yet- does this affect the Spurs, one way or another?

Hooray for his bank account. Now he makes even more money.

He's a 1 percenter. Congrats.

Cool?

I just explained how it can affect the Spurs.

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
The rich just get richer. SMH. It's ridiculous and outright immoral how much athletes make.

DapDaGenius
11-02-2013, 09:03 PM
So he is going to get a million shoes named after him? Swaggy.

Kool Bob Love
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I think his contract ended after Charlotte.

Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcPklolC00

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
The rich just get richer. SMH. It's ridiculous and outright immoral how much athletes make.

Would it be more moral for the CEO of Nike to keep the money or the owner of <insert any sports franchise> or whatever network the games are getting aired on?

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
I just explained how it can affect the Spurs.

You mean this quote from you?

"Well some players do care about maximizing their earning potential (which is why you see players that want to go to LA, NY etc.). I don't think Kawhi is like that but it is good for the Spurs to have their players getting deals like these."

OK- how does that affect the Spurs?

Not trying to be a dick here- but you made the statement and I don't see where you said where this affects the Spurs except you saying this is good for the Spurs.

How?

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Would it be more moral for the CEO of Nike to keep the money or the owner of <insert any sports franchise> or whatever network the games are getting aired on?
The people should have this money that the one-percenters have stolen from the workers' labour.

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Uh oh- did I start something with my 1 percenter comment?

Don't hate on Kawhi. He deserves every red cent he can get.

I can't hate on a man trying to make hay- I certainly do every damn day.

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
The people should have this money that the one-percenters have stolen from the workers' labour.

What money is being stolen from you? No one forces you to buy Nike shoes, no one forces you to buy NBA tickets, no one forces you to buy cable. You choose how to spend your money, they can't force you to spend it on their products.

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 09:33 PM
What money is being stolen from you? No one forces you to buy Nike shoes, no one forces you to buy NBA tickets, no one forces you to buy cable. You choose how to spend your money, they can't force you to spend it on their products.
:lol

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 09:37 PM
You mean this quote from you?

"Well some players do care about maximizing their earning potential (which is why you see players that want to go to LA, NY etc.). I don't think Kawhi is like that but it is good for the Spurs to have their players getting deals like these."

OK- how does that affect the Spurs?

Not trying to be a dick here- but you made the statement and I don't see where you said where this affects the Spurs except you saying this is good for the Spurs.

How?

You're not being a dick, I just didn't think I need to simplify/expand on what I said initially.

Kawhi getting an endorsement deal like this shows that there is earning potential outside of just a player's NBA salary in SA. The more endorsement deals a player can get while playing in SA the better because it displays to other potential players or current players that there's external earning potential.

That can play a factor for some players, so it does affect the Spurs in FA and whether certain players will want to stay in SA. I'm not saying it's a huge factor or even a deciding factor but it certainly doesn't hurt to have players getting these type of deals.

Hopefully that's more clear.

rasuo214
11-02-2013, 09:39 PM
:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE

Plum Island
11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
You're not being a dick, I just didn't think I need to simplify/expand on what I said initially.

Kawhi getting an endorsement deal like this shows that there is earning potential outside of just a player's NBA salary in SA. The more endorsement deals a player can get while playing in SA the better because it displays to other potential players or current players that there's external earning potential.

That can play a factor for some players, so it does affect the Spurs in FA and whether certain players will want to stay in SA. I'm not saying it's a huge factor or even a deciding factor but it certainly doesn't hurt to have players getting these type of deals.

Hopefully that's more clear.

It is. Thank you.

You don't think the Lakers can swoop in and laugh at his endorsements he has with San Antonio and offer much, much more?

No matter how simple it's laid out- I bet they can...

I honestly believe that this won't affect his being with the Spurs one way or another.

Thanks for expanding though. I thought that was what you were saying, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense when you put it into context with competing big markets.

Hey- maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before...

I'm not saying he's going to bolt in free-agency, I'm just saying this isn't going to be a reason for him to stay when the time comes.

JRHernandez88
11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
How much is he getting off the deal?

007nites
11-02-2013, 11:35 PM
How much is he getting off the deal?

Probably $500,000 to $1 mil a year I assume. I think Timmy still makes around $2mil-4mil from adidas. Nothing compared to someone like LeBron.

Nike
Coca Cola
Samsung
Beats By Dre
McDonalds
Dunkin Donuts
Local Miami Commercials

He probably makes at least $40-$50 Mil a year off sponsors.

JRHernandez88
11-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Probably $500,000 to $1 mil a year I assume. I think Timmy still makes around $2mil-4mil from adidas. Nothing compared to someone like LeBron.

Nike
Coca Cola
Samsung
Beats By Dre
McDonalds
Dunkin Donuts
Local Miami Commercials

He probably makes at least $40-$50 Mil a year off sponsors.
Ya I just got me some Commander TDs from academy for only like $50. They're nice as hell tho!

PlayNando
11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I guess since he got this deal he just decided to mail in the rest of the season starting last night tbh. :lol

wildchild
11-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but beyond the money, perhaps this contract has a special significance for Kawhi.

"When I lost my dad," Leonard said the other day, "it prepared me for anything I'd ever face the rest of my life." "What sticks with me most," said Leonard, "is my father always knew I'd be right where I am today. He knew I'd make it. He told me that whenever I got my sneaker contract, to save him a pair in his size. Which I thought was funny because we both wore the same size."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/63208638/

mike20spurs
11-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Plum Island - Who is this guy?

So what if the shoe contract doesn't affect the Spurs as a whole? It sure as hell affects Kawhi. Good for him to get a Nike Jordan deal! Good post too. This is definitely a Spurs-related post so I don't know why you're trying to pass it off as irrelevant. If you ask me you are just trying to be a dick.

And by the way, Nike does not purchase championships to sell shoes. As much as I hate to break it to you all, what happens on the court is determined by the players themselves. Sure you'll get the occasional questionable calls and the no calls on superstars like Lebron and Jordan but that's been happening since before the NBA was the brand that it is. It's just part of the game.

So... no, this does not mean a Spurs championship is imminent. Yes, it means Kawhi is being recognized as the real deal by many many people who know the game. This also highlights the bright future the Spurs have even with an aging core.

Russo21
11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
That's pretty sweet, Kawhi getting recognised by Brand Jordan. Mind you, I've only ever owned 2 pairs of Jordan's, Air Jordan Air Force 1 Fusions, not to bad, have worn better. Anyway, apart from $ what does this mean for Kawhi? He'll just be getting $ or will he have a shoe named after him or something? Air Leonard Fusions? :p: Whatever, go earn a spot in the all star team Kawhi and bring a championship home to SA

Phenomanul
11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
KAWHI LEONARD