PDA

View Full Version : Manu is going to be on the cover of the new Spanish ESPN mag

TMTTRIO
07-26-2005, 12:35 AM
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressPoint/show.php?id=24067

July 25, 2005

ESPN Deportes La Revista
ESPN THE MAGAZINE LAUNCHES IN SPANISH “ESPN DEPORTES LA REVISTA” NAMES THE 101 MOST INFLUENTIAL LATINOS IN SPORTS

For Immediate Release

July 25, 2005

San Antonio Spurs Star Manu Ginobili Featured on Cover

ESPN Deportes La Revista, the Spanish-language edition of the award-winning ESPN The Magazine, will make its debut on newsstands this week with a cover story featuring “Latino Power: 101 Most Influential Latinos in Sports.” San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili, who tops the list of the most influential Latinos, graces the cover of ESPN Deportes La Revista. :elephant

ESPN Deportes La Revista will join the roster of ESPN Deportes-branded initiatives that also includes ESPN Deportes television, ESPN Deportes Radio, ESPN Deportes.com, and ESPN Deportes Wireless, with which ESPN serves the U.S. Hispanic sports fan. Considered to be the only general market Spanish-language sports publication in the U.S., ESPN Deportes La Revista will be distributed in the top U.S. Hispanic markets, including Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Additional markets include cities in Massachusetts, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Puerto Rico.

“We are very excited about the debut of this magazine,” said Lino Garcia, general manager of ESPN Deportes. “ESPN Deportes La Revista will be an integral element to the ESPN Deportes advertising platform that we offer to our clients.”

The premiere issue’s cover story, “Latino Power: 101 Most Influential Latinos in Sports,” will rank the top 101 Latino athletes, coaches, owners, and executives. The list was determined jointly by the editorial staffs of ESPN Deportes La Revista and ESPN Deportes.com, with emphasis on the candidate’s recent impact, influence, and achievements.

This past season, Ginobili led the San Antonio Spurs to their second NBA championship in three years. He also led the Argentine National Team to a gold medal in the 2004 summer Olympics, after defeating the heavily favored USA Dream Team in the semi-finals.

“Ginobili is widely regarded as a hero in his native Argentina, as well as throughout Latin America and to Latinos in the U.S.,” said Juan Antonio Sempere, editor, ESPN Deportes La Revista. “His performance in the playoffs this year was outstanding, and his impact on international basketball will be felt for years to come.”

TheTruth
07-26-2005, 12:47 AM
On the cover of the first issue ever? Most powerful Latino in sports? Very, Very cool.

Horry For 3!
07-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I just bought the Championship Edition SI & the one with Tim Duncan on it saying Dare We Say Dynasty? mazagines on Sunday since I was able to go to SA and they don't have any of that in this small town where I live. :(

WalterBenitez
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I will complain until Manu get his TIME's Cover :lmao

angel_luv
07-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Yea Gino! The ESPN execs obviouly knows what face will sell magaizines! = )

picnroll
07-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Another example of Manu's rising marketing power. Manu is going to parlay all this into some nice $. Some like tlong have argued Manu is underpaid. If he had gone to Denver, who then wouldn't have signed Martin, or Utah, teams that wanted him for possibly a larger contract would he have been in the fiinals, won a title, garnered as much endorsement money? If the Spurs had paid him more, strapping them for cash to resign Parker, add Barry, would he have had the opportunity to get the glory and endorsements? From a monetary standpoint Manu has put himself in the best position even though he's received a smaller contract than his play merits.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Another example of Manu's rising marketing power. Manu is going to parlay all this into some nice $. Some like tlong have argued Manu is underpaid. If he had gone to Denver, who then wouldn't have signed Martin, or Utah, teams that wanted him for possibly a larger contract would he have been in the fiinals, won a title, garnered as much endorsement money? If the Spurs had paid him more, strapping them for cash to resign Parker, add Barry, would he have had the opportunity to get the glory and endorsements? From a monetary standpoint Manu has put himself in the best position even though he's received a smaller contract than his play merits.
I think it is BECAUSE of the fact that he's taking a smaller contract than he deserves that he is getting so much exposure. I mean, there are a lot of other things, but mainly, you have a guy that isn't TOO worried about the all mighty dollar, and would rather play his heart out because of his love for the game. I know its somewhat romanticised but if you think about it, its not far from the truth. He is a bonified role model, kids want to be him, men want to know him, and women just plain want him (spurschick), it really can't get better than that!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_15.gif