PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Announcers Most Non-Homer Bunch in the League

Skull-1
11-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Our guys give credit where due, and criticism when deserved. Tv and radio. Sean has good insight, thought he tries to cover for slackers on our side a wee bit too much. Good grade overall however.

Other teams.....not so much.

Darius Bieber
11-03-2013, 12:03 AM
To be fair, every local announcer gets paid by the organization. Would be pretty hard to find a Non-Homer Local Announcer. I think Bill & Sean are routing for their guys as much as any other announcer would be. Their broadcasts are way more entertaining though.

ElNono
11-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Based on feedback from other team's fans, they're homer as fuck.... which I'm ok with...

Libri
11-03-2013, 12:07 AM
I agree about Sean but some here argue that he's a blind homer.

SanDiegoSpursFan
11-03-2013, 12:09 AM
They're huge homers. They do compliment the other team, but they hype up everything the Spurs do a lot.

Libri
11-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't ask DeMarcus Cousins. :lol

siraulo23
11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
please spurs announcers up there as top 'homers' :lol

with that said, im glad league pass incorporated home/away calls option, thank god i didnt have to listen to blazers anouncers

AussieFanKurt
11-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Lakers announcers actually up there with the best. Ours are not

007nites
11-03-2013, 01:35 AM

This is true unfortunately. Raptor announcers are also very good.

timtonymanu
11-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Umm...Bill and Sean are homers. They aren't part of the worst but I can understand if opposing fans don't like them.

spurs10
11-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Sean and Bill are great. They do give credit where credit is do and vice versa. The commentary by Sean about DeCousins is classic stuff. How many teams have announcers whose name and number are hanging from the fucking rafters? 32....:lobt:

Monostradamus
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
This has to be a troll thread. Sean Elliott is universally reviled everywhere outside of SA as the worst blind homer in the NBA besides Tommy Heinsohn.

AussieFanKurt
11-03-2013, 01:47 AM
haha fuck I forgot about Heinsohn.. funniest lad ever

Monostradamus
11-03-2013, 01:47 AM
I mean in EVERY OTHER NBA CITY the worst blind homer ranking is:

1. Tommy Heinsohn
2. Sean Elliott

It's not any bias, it's just the truth. Spurs fans should love him because he does exactly what a home team broadcaster should do, but don't fucking lie to yourselves and say he isn't the absolute epitome of a blind homer broadcaster because literally EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET knows that he is.

Arc
11-03-2013, 01:53 AM
you people must have never watched away games on league pass before this year. bill and sean are no where near as bad as some of those homer fucks out there. they don't claim every foul is a bad call, and they give credit to the other team when they make nice plays. plus they're funny.

i'm sure a lot of you watch games on your TV instead of league pass, so you have no basis for comparison. but take it from someone who has heard every duo out there.. they're one of the best.

Monostradamus
11-03-2013, 02:01 AM
you people must have never watched away games on league pass before this year. bill and sean are no where near as bad as some of those homer fucks out there. they don't claim every foul is a bad call, and they give credit to the other team when they make nice plays. plus they're funny.

i'm sure a lot of you watch games on your TV instead of league pass, so you have no basis for comparison. but take it from someone who has heard every duo out there.. they're one of the best.

:lmao

again, it's not just mavs fans or rockets fans with this opinion. It's not just Lakers or Thunder or Grizzlies fans. It's fans of EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING LEAGUE who say SA's announcers are at or near the top of the list of the biggest homers of any team in the NBA.

Clipper Nation
11-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Bill and Sean are pretty bad, but nobody tops Tommy Heinsohn or Denver's whiny-ass announcers for pure, unadulterated homerism, tbh... Stacey King is a huge homer too, as is that douchebag Mike Smith....

The Heat and Nets have solid announcing teams, tbh....

texmich
11-03-2013, 02:23 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tim-Duncan-Bounces-Ball-Off-of-Shawn-Elliots-Head-During-Broadcast.gif

RD2191
11-03-2013, 02:32 AM

again, it's not just mavs fans or rockets fans with this opinion. It's not just Lakers or Thunder or Grizzlies fans. It's fans of EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING LEAGUE who say SA's announcers are at or near the top of the list of the biggest homers of any team in the NBA.
:td

ChumpDumper
11-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah, they're homers. Not the worst ever, but Sean lost his national gig because of it.

will_spurs
11-03-2013, 02:58 AM
I mean in EVERY OTHER NBA CITY the worst blind homer ranking is:

1. Tommy Heinsohn
2. Sean Elliott

It's not any bias, it's just the truth. Spurs fans should love him because he does exactly what a home team broadcaster should do, but don't fucking lie to yourselves and say he isn't the absolute epitome of a blind homer broadcaster because literally EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET knows that he is.

Seems to be the case among my friends who are fans of other teams. They never mention an announcer except Sean.

gee
11-03-2013, 04:15 AM
They are definitely homer, but it's a different brand of homer than the sort of homer that pisses me off.
It's completely non-malicious and more tongue in cheek and done in humour.

EG Spurs announcer homerism: I really hope Aldridge misses this shot, oh damn he made it, again, lolz he's killing us tonight we just can't stop him
EG Kings announcer homerism: Isiah Thomas is a better point guard than Tony Parker.

There's a massive difference - you can especially see it when talking about bad ref calls

EG of when the call goes against the team
Spurs: that's a bad call
Kings: that's a bad call

EG of when the bad call is in favour of the announcer's team
Spurs: 'Wow, we really caught a break there because I think Timmy fouled / Parker stepped out of bounds, but I'm not going to argue with it lolz GO SPURS'
Kings: that's good officiating. good call by the ref.

etc etc

gee
11-03-2013, 04:17 AM
they are at all times acknowledging that they love the spurs and want the spurs to win, but it's completely on an emotional or mental basis, the Spurs announcer very rarely ever let homerism creep into any factual assertions they make about what's happening in the game or in giving props to the other team for playing well

Russ
11-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Who are the Lakers announcers this week, anyway?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-03-2013, 11:17 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tim-Duncan-Bounces-Ball-Off-of-Shawn-Elliots-Head-During-Broadcast.gif

I miss Sean

TXstbobcat
11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Sean is more entertaining that most of the other guys I have had to listen to on league pass.

Biernutz
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I am glad that we have Spurs announcers who are for the Spurs. I never watch ESPN or TNT when I have a
choice of watching Sean and Bill. Homers, that's ok with me but Sean calls it as he see's it. If we suck
he won't sugar coat it. I have watched games for years on TV and the networks negative lean against the Spurs.
It's good to have someone to say positive calls on the Spurs.

buujness
11-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Bill and Sean are pretty damn homerific, but I do enjoy Sean's in-depth analysis of certain plays.

Neither can compete with the beast of commentary that Bill Schoening is though.

Splits
11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
99% of announcers are homers of course

Spurs, Lakers, OKC announcers are good. Memphis is arguably the worst

Clyde Drexler is the absolute worst announcer in the NBA. It isn't even close.

Sean is a homer, but like others said he calls it like it is and calls out bad plays by the Spurs and also self-corrects if he makes an initial comment that proves wrong on the replay. And it would be one thing if we were some team that hadn't proved anything, but for christ's sake we've dominated the league for the past 15 years, a little homerism is in order when you've got the best winning percentage in professional sports for over a decade.

tlongII
11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Elliott's the biggest homer in the league.

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
please spurs announcers up there as top 'homers' :lol

with that said, im glad league pass incorporated home/away calls option, thank god i didnt have to listen to blazers anouncers

They did? Awesome!

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Precisely... League pass last year was unbearable when I had to listen to opponent announcers.

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 01:55 PM
They are definitely homer, but it's a different brand of homer than the sort of homer that pisses me off.
It's completely non-malicious and more tongue in cheek and done in humour.

EG Spurs announcer homerism: I really hope Aldridge misses this shot, oh damn he made it, again, lolz he's killing us tonight we just can't stop him
EG Kings announcer homerism: Isiah Thomas is a better point guard than Tony Parker.

There's a massive difference - you can especially see it when talking about bad ref calls

EG of when the call goes against the team
Spurs: that's a bad call
Kings: that's a bad call

EG of when the bad call is in favour of the announcer's team
Spurs: 'Wow, we really caught a break there because I think Timmy fouled / Parker stepped out of bounds, but I'm not going to argue with it lolz GO SPURS'
Kings: that's good officiating. good call by the ref.

etc etc

Right on! This is exactly what I was talking about!

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Bill and Sean are pretty damn homerific, but I do enjoy Sean's in-depth analysis of certain plays.

Neither can compete with the beast of commentary that Bill Schoening is though.

The only announcer in sports that is better would be Brad Shamm of Cowboys Radio. He and Laufenberg are super. I mute the tv and listen on the radio to those guys.

Arcadian
11-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Why would you want commentators to be objective anyway? That would be boring as fuck. Part of what makes Sean funny and interesting is his loyalty to the team. Does anyone actually think that's a bad thing?

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Why would you want commentators to be objective anyway? That would be boring as fuck. Part of what makes Sean funny and interesting is his loyalty to the team. Does anyone actually think that's a bad thing?

Depends on the degree. Gee and Arc explained it quite well.

TheyCallMePro
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Make no mistake: Bill Land and Sean Eliott are THE BIGGEST local announcer homers in the League. Trust me, no other local announcer screams "OH MAMA!!!" when their team gets a break-away dunk. No other announcer's biased comments during the game enrage an opposing player so much that the opposing player seeks out the announcer post-game and gets into a heated verbal argument with him. Bill Land and Sean Eliott blatantly root for the Spurs during games and they make no attempt to be whatsoever to be subjective. Like most of you, I have absolutely ZERO issue with any of this, as I love Eliott and Land calling the games as they add significant entertainment value to the broadcasts. It's like having two die-hard Spurs fans on the call every night. It's great. More teams should do it this way. But they don't. Eliott and Land win the most-biased local announcers trophy by a mile. And it's not even CLOSE.

Brazil
11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Sean a non homer ? :lmao

Skull-1
11-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Make no mistake: Bill Land and Sean Eliott are THE BIGGEST local announcer homers in the League. Trust me, no other local announcer screams "OH MAMA!!!" when their team gets a break-away dunk. No other announcer's biased comments during the game enrage an opposing player so much that the opposing player seeks out the announcer post-game and gets into a heated verbal argument with him. Bill Land and Sean Eliott blatantly root for the Spurs during games and they make no attempt to be whatsoever to be subjective. Like most of you, I have absolutely ZERO issue with any of this, as I love Eliott and Land calling the games as they add significant entertainment value to the broadcasts. It's like having two die-hard Spurs fans on the call every night. It's great. More teams should do it this way. But they don't. Eliott and Land win the most-biased local announcers trophy by a mile. And it's not even CLOSE.

I disagree completely after suffering through League Pass last year. Our guys call it like it is When we screw up they call it. Wen we get a call we shouldn't have they say so. When a call is against us they don't knee jerk and say it was a bad call. The other teams have announcers with zero objectivity.

travis2
11-04-2013, 06:59 AM

I find this incredibly funny coming from a Mavericks fan. The Mavericks games I was forced to watch in the past had the most god-awful homer announcers around. And they weren't even *good* about it.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh, so a homer announcer is a guy who roots for the home team, gets excited when there's a big play and it doesn't have anything to do with whining about calls or not giving the other team their due. If that's the definition, then yes they are. As a color guy, Sean almost always is objective about the calls, and he's as tough on Spurs players as he is on opposing ones.

The fact that people put him in the same sentence with Heinsohn make it sound like they think he's biased to the point that he can't analyze the game properly, which is clearly not the case.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2013, 07:20 PM
I find this incredibly funny coming from a Mavericks fan. The Mavericks games I was forced to watch in the past had the most god-awful homer announcers around. And they weren't even *good* about it.

The only thing funnier is acting like Bill Land gets more excited about the Spurs than Mark Followill gets about the Mavs. Followill got the job because he lost his fucking mind every time someone hit a three.

Budkin
11-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Local area broadcasters should be homers tbh, but when you watch League Pass games you should get to listen to a neutral feed like NBA radio.

gee
11-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Not going to lie, pretty psyched that league pass is letting me listen to bill and sean for all 82 games this year

Clipper Nation
11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Trust me, no other local announcer screams "OH MAMA!!!" when their team gets a break-away dunk.
Ralph Lawler spends half the games screaming "SLAAAAAM DUNK," "THE LOB, THE JAM," or "BINGOOOOO" :lol

Eliott and Land win the most-biased local announcers trophy by a mile. And it's not even CLOSE.
You've clearly never watched a Celtics broadcast with Heinsohn.... when he's not completely zoned out because of his senility, he's the absolute worst when it comes to ranting about ref conspiracies, and he makes outrageous statements like "Greg Stiemsma is like a young Bill Russell" :lol

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the Spurs announcers aren't even the worst in Texas. Glide and Bullard are some of the worst judges of officiating this league has seen.

Splits
11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
There are homer announcers rooting for your team, and then there are blind partisans who question every single call against their team. If you're listening to the Denver announcers on LP tonight, you can see they obviously fall into the latter category. Bill and Sean don't do that, at least not to the extreme the Nugget lickers do it.

SpursRock20
11-05-2013, 11:33 PM
^very true. At one point Lawson got to the line for drawing a foul and rearing his head back. They immediately said that that shouldn't be in the game, but mentioned that Manu and the Spurs are the worst at it. Nevermind their own player shooting the free throws. Also, saying that Manu should get a flopping warning because he absorbed a blow while in mid-air was crazy stupid.

Another dumb thing that they said was that they just noticed that Duncan was wearing a brace and he looked hampered out there. Have they not played the Spurs in the last couple of years? Must be smoking some of the legal herb.

Splits
11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
They were also saying all 4th quarter that Duncan was done for the night only to be shocked SHOCKED to see him re-enter the game with 6 and change to play. Idiots.

SpursRock20
11-05-2013, 11:38 PM
They were also saying all 4th quarter that Duncan was done for the night only to be shocked SHOCKED to see him re-enter the game with 6 and change to play. Idiots.
Yeah, I didn't understand that at all. For a moment I thought he was injured, they made me panic for no damn reason.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-05-2013, 11:39 PM

LMAO this.

How about that block Green had on Lawson and they were so pissed it wasn't called a foul even tho Green didn't touch him at all?

SpursRock20
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
"Lawson was HAMMERED"..."WOW, WHERE IS THE FOUL CALL, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS"

Had me rolling :lol

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-05-2013, 11:42 PM
"Lawson was HAMMERED"..."WOW, WHERE IS THE FOUL CALL, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS"

Had me rolling :lol

Same lol.

Those refs were horrible. LOL @ Duncan getting a offensive foul for Lawson tripping over his feet.

TheyCallMePro
11-05-2013, 11:48 PM
You guys watched the game on league pass instead of local TV with Eliott and Land? I guess it's interesting to see it from a different perspective. League pass expires after tonight so you may as well use it. Btw...does anybody actually pay for league pass? I mean you can watch every spurs game for free and see more than enough games on NBA TV, ESPN, and TNT. Plus I couldn't find the league pass channels in HD anywhere, and hearing one side's announcers can get really annoying.

Skull-1
11-06-2013, 01:31 AM
You guys watched the game on league pass instead of local TV with Eliott and Land? I guess it's interesting to see it from a different perspective. League pass expires after tonight so you may as well use it. Btw...does anybody actually pay for league pass? I mean you can watch every spurs game for free and see more than enough games on NBA TV, ESPN, and TNT. Plus I couldn't find the league pass channels in HD anywhere, and hearing one side's announcers can get really annoying.

Free where?

In other team areas people have no choice....

ElNono
11-06-2013, 01:36 AM

I have all League Pass channels in HD here... Dish.

Skull-1
11-06-2013, 01:53 AM
I have all League Pass channels in HD here... Dish.

Directv with sports pack. Way cheaper than League Pass.

chapnis
11-06-2013, 02:57 AM
The Denver announcers have started to make me regret my decision to get regular instead of premium league pass.

Skull-1
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
The Denver announcers have started to make me regret my decision to get regular instead of premium league pass.
Trust me, it gets worse.

Fireball
11-06-2013, 09:46 AM
The "biased announcers" discussion can be endless IMO. All announcers have to be biased to a certain degree because they have to appeal to the audience which mainly watches because of the home team. Bill and Sean are homers, make no doubt about it. Bill has his trademark saying as do many others who are in the business long enough. "Oh mama" might sound weird, but there is no difference to "Puts it up ... puts it in" (from a certain ESPN/Knicks announcer I very much appreciate). To me, announcers of less successful teams (Clippers before Paul, Kings, etc.) seem less biased, but they do not have much reason to be excited about their team anyways. But apart from the "biased" discussion there has to be discussion about how good/bad the announcers are. I am not an expert of rules etc. but there are many announcers who have much less basketball intelligence than Bill and Sean. But beware - all this comes from a biased Spurs fan so of course I find Spurs announcers more insightful and less "homeristic" (if that exists) than others.

JR3
11-06-2013, 05:21 PM
was watching league pass yesterday and the houston announcers were in denial! They would show replays that were obviously against houston and they would deny it. I have never seen sean do that... there are times where is jokingly denies it but you can tell he is joking. Not Houston.

Kidd K
11-06-2013, 09:28 PM
They're still homers, but they speak the truth more often than not. Those that complain that an opposing teams' home announcers are "too homerish", need to stop and understand that WINNING TEAMS do good more often than not, so the announcers are going to be pointing out their positives more often. The opposite will be the case if your team playing them is bad. Clearly you're going to get lambasted. That should be what happens.

People get too spoiled by ESPN who is known to bash specific teams and blows specific other ones. Especially when it comes to flashy, athletic teams. They get blown on national tv all the time but local announcers aren't going to do the same if their team isn't also an athletic, high flying team.

chapnis
11-11-2013, 08:11 PM
These 76ers guys are nice to listen to. I guess the fact that one is a Spurs fan kinda helps that.

Spur|n|Austin
11-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Frankly, who gives a shit if team's announcers are homers or not? Spurs announcers are huge humors, along with every other team in the league's announcers.

Skull-1
11-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Frankly, who gives a shit if team's announcers are homers or not? Spurs announcers are huge humors, along with every other team in the league's announcers.

I do.

I want it called straight. If it is a good call then say so, even against us.

TampaDude
11-12-2013, 07:38 AM
haha fuck I forgot about Heinsohn.. funniest lad ever

Heh...yeah, he's the king of the homers by far.