PDA

View Full Version : Is pop 'hiding' our 3 point game?

testies
11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Spurs are on purpose not running a lot of 3 point plays for Green and Kawhi?

I think its part of a strategy to get into playoffs without Green and 3 points being our main weapon on opponent's heads to defend, and as soon as playoff comes, Green and Leonard will be getting a lot of wide open looks, but it might sound far-fetched.. what do you guys think?

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
The spacing for the starters just looks poor IMO..

Leonard is passing up 3s for off the dribble mid-range shots, Duncan is shooting a little outside of his range, Splitter looks lost and Parker hasn't been great(outside of the Lakers game)..

Spurs' starting unit needs to clean it up and find their chemistry, as it clearly affects their shooting, particularly Green, which is his strongest attribute..

Raven
11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
he's trying to see what he has in the new addictions tbh, once he understands they aren't worth jack shit, we'll go back to our winning method.

Libri
11-03-2013, 01:25 PM
He's also holding Bonner back and when the playoffs start, he'll release the Red Mamba. Teams will not know what hit them.

tmtcsc
11-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Excellent observation. By the looks of it, he's holding back our D too. Teams won't know what hit them in the playoffs.

PlayNando
11-03-2013, 02:40 PM
CIA Pop tbh.

wildchild
11-03-2013, 03:31 PM
You're right. Good job Pop hiding our 3 point game...

Enjoy the fruits of his hard work:

Vs Lakers
3 P Team 5-21 (23.8%)
Green 1-2
Leonard 0-4
Parker 0-1
Ginobili 3-7
Bonner 0-2

Vs Blazers
3P Team 6-12
Green 0-1
Leonard 0-0
Parker 0-1
Ginobili 1-4

Biernutz
11-03-2013, 03:47 PM
For this year we are shooting 3pt at 41%. We average 7 made per game, with 17 attempted.
It's only the 3rd game, match ups will give you a different game plan. With the Grizzlies game
we shot more from the outside because of their big's......

siraulo23
11-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Not sure if theyre trying to add wrinkles in their offense, but they def seem off their spots

cd021
11-04-2013, 12:01 AM
To be fair we struggled early last season. We were scoring at insane rates and leading the league in assists, but our turnovers were way up (nearly 2 a game more than the season before).

This year our 3pt shooting hasn't been as prolific. Spurs may be trying to become less reliant more hand-offs to Leonard etc. Since the 10-11 season, at some point we seem to hit a way when playing to much in the half court. Executing better in down tempo games without 3pt shooting or fast breaks.

scanry
11-04-2013, 12:28 AM
I think Pop is giving small ball another shot. Who can blame him when he has 80 odd games remaining and Splitter being the bum that he is.

I just pray to god that Splitter doesn't turn into another Rasho.

Sean Cagney
11-04-2013, 01:13 AM
He's also holding Bonner back and when the playoffs start, he'll release the Red Mamba. Teams will not know what hit them.

Certainly not his shots will hit them.... As we have seen alot before. :lol

playbonner15
11-04-2013, 07:23 AM

This.

Captivus
11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
The spacing for the starters just looks poor IMO..

Exactly!
Thats the key.
Without the 3 point shot the defenses are crowding (?) the paint. We need Green to start hiting 3s to open space.

Rogue
11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
in fact if I were a spurs fan I'd be very glad to see Splitter turning out to be another Rasho, decent role player providing solid defense and stable outputs of rebounds and blocks. Splitter is the better player offensively but I think at this point of time the 37yr old Duncan needs defensive help more than ever before, imho.

Seventyniner
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
For this year we are shooting 3pt at 41%. We average 7 made per game, with 17 attempted.
It's only the 3rd game, match ups will give you a different game plan. With the Grizzlies game
we shot more from the outside because of their big's......

That's all you need to know. 41% as a team is very good. I know the sample is small, but you definitely cannot say with any statistical significance that the Spurs are shooting threes poorly.

look_at_g_shred
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Sure.

r0drig0lac
11-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Excellent observation. By the looks of it, he's holding back our D too. Teams won't know what hit them in the playoffs.
lol, do not know how I missed that

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
The Spurs are hitting at a decent rate. Since a three pointer is not, in-and-of-itself, a high-percentage shot, you'd always rather work to get a layup. If Pop's offense isn't running plays to specifically create threes, that's outstanding news. The Spurs were not very good when they did that.

As for Kawhi, his jumper is not very good thus far, and the emphasis is clearly on getting him more touches and more shots toward the rim. Those two things are unrelated, but either one of them would be a good explanation why he's not getting dumped in the corner to this point.