PDA

View Full Version : Why do women suck at comedy?

Chief Brody
11-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Can somebody please explain this phenomenon? You'd be hard-pressed to count on one-hand the # of genuinely funny comediennes over the years. Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Whitney Cummings, etc etc. Just terrible and makes me nauseous whenever I see an ad or promo with them in it. To be fair those Will Ferrell Truck commercials are atrocious too, but he was at least pretty funny at one point in his life.

CubanSucks
11-04-2013, 01:42 AM
They just don't come off as sincere in their attempts imo. It just seems unnatural. Amy Schumer is the only female standup I've ever found funny tbh. The only female character in a sitcom I've genuinely enjoyed is Dee from Always Sunny.

Rogue
11-04-2013, 03:55 AM
sense of humor is contingent on great intelligence which no woman has (except one woman whose name is Scarlett Johansson though)

rascal
11-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Females in general are not funny, more serious in everything school, work etc. They seldom ever rock the boat and get out of line. Very few ever got into trouble in all the school years I had.

Rogue
11-04-2013, 09:04 AM
bitches are severely lacking in creativity that's all. They're more serious and more careful with school and work, yes, because they don't have much else to care about, or to be more accurate they don't have that much brain to think about anything beyond what they're asked to do, imho. My goddess is an exception though, as usual.

Two10Whitey
11-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I've heard that Margaret Cho is funny. I just haven't watched her standup myself.

Blake
11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Kathleen Madigan is pretty funny, imo

Rogue
11-04-2013, 10:07 AM
the fact is men don't need them bitches to be funny, instead we want them to be pretty and lovely, tbh

leemajors
11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't believe the ratio of funny to unfunny is very good comedy-wise in either gender, but the networks have been handing out too many development deals to women simply b/c they are women in the last 5 years or so.

mrsmaalox
11-04-2013, 10:47 AM
I think one of the main problems is the blurred line between actual comedians and comedic actors---they are 2 different things. Of the women listed on the OP, I've only ever known of Whitney Cummings to do a 100% straight standup routine (and it was a little funny); the other 3 are pretty talented comedy writers, but when they write something and then act it out, it gets lost in their interpretation by the character they are playing. The true standup comedy women like Kathy Griffin (don't flame me she was the only one I could think of) are really pretty funny, but when they try to play a funny role it's a hit or miss type thing because they aren't really actors. But it's the same with men.

DMC
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
For a man to find a woman funny, she has to say things he can relate to. In order to do that she has to step out of her world and pretend to know his, and that's probably not easy to do. Likewise though, lots of women don't find the Three Stooges funny.

I've seen funny females though. I just don't think women are as apt to stand around telling jokes to other women as men are to other men, since women in groups talk about other women or themselves. Guys tend to talk about events or things in general. That being the case, there's no real development area for them. I'm amazed any of them can swing it.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
schumer and silverman are funny

vy65
11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Kristan Schaal, and that's about it.

People love to jock Maria Bamford, but she's just not funny. All the rest mentioned are fucking atrocious.

xmas1997
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Carol Burnet was pretty damn funny.
So was Gilda Radner, Gracie Allen, and Lucille Ball to name a few.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
It's Louie CK alone at the top in the world of comedy. Everybody else is a very distant second.

Creepn
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Betty White still funny.

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

lol Truth.

jag
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
For a man to find a woman funny, she has to say things he can relate to. In order to do that she has to step out of her world and pretend to know his, and that's probably not easy to do. Likewise though, lots of women don't find the Three Stooges funny.

I've seen funny females though. I just don't think women are as apt to stand around telling jokes to other women as men are to other men, since women in groups talk about other women or themselves. Guys tend to talk about events or things in general. That being the case, there's no real development area for them. I'm amazed any of them can swing it.

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Can somebody please explain this phenomenon? You'd be hard-pressed to count on one-hand the # of genuinely funny comediennes over the years. Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Whitney Cummings, etc etc. Just terrible and makes me nauseous whenever I see an ad or promo with them in it. To be fair those Will Ferrell Truck commercials are atrocious too, but he was at least pretty funny at one point in his life.

You're either (1) listening to the wrong comedians or (2) the more likely scenario upset because they tell small dick jokes :lmao

trsDd75Ti-E

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2013, 01:01 PM
l10Uc0mLqlQ

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I like her too: :lol

SsWrY77o77o

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2013, 01:07 PM
:lol @ the 2:45 min mark

VddEudMzNAg

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
It's Louie CK alone at the top in the world of comedy. Everybody else is a very distant second.

Hannibal and John Mulaney are nice, tbh..

Louis himself said that Hannibal is his favourite comedian ATM, tbh..

leemajors
11-04-2013, 01:33 PM

I liked Bill Burr's last special more than Louis CK's, but they were both great. Good time for stand up right now, the networks don't really have the power and comedians can self publish and build their audiences through podcasts and not have to cut their act for TV.

mrsmaalox
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Rosanne Barr is one of the funniest stand ups I've ever heard. But I never saw her tv series so I don't know if her humor transferred to the small screen; I suspect not, since her act was so raunchy.

vy65
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Patton Oswalt and David Cross, tbh.

Anthony Jesselnik's standup (not the show) is pretty fucking amazing too.

Spur|n|Austin
11-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I like her too: :lol

SsWrY77o77o

Is that the Taco Cabana girl??

Rogue
11-04-2013, 08:34 PM

That's why you're the Isaac Newton of Spurstalk bro (you're not a celibate though). you summed up my points in one post, elucidating exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't put in words clearly. A bitch's knowledge is limited just as the size of her head, so it's very hard for her to come up with anything funny. A good sense of humor always comes with smartness and creativity, things most bitches are severely lacking in.

Some bitches may perhaps make you laugh so you think they're funny, but you can never expect them to tell you an authentic joke that shows any sort of wisdom, that will make you laugh over and over again just by thinking of it.

chunticakes
11-05-2013, 12:55 AM

it is.

i'd bang the shit out of her and then make her fetch me real mexican food like taco tote, tbh.

xmas1997
11-05-2013, 01:29 AM
What about Carol Burnet? She was hilarious!

FkLA
11-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Anybody think Lisa Lampenelli is funny ?

JoeChalupa
11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Carol Burnet was pretty damn funny.
So was Gilda Radner, Gracie Allen, and Lucille Ball to name a few.
:tu
Classic comedy

JoeChalupa
11-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Rosanne Barr is one of the funniest stand ups I've ever heard. But I never saw her tv series so I don't know if her humor transferred to the small screen; I suspect not, since her act was so raunchy.

it was hilarious

DeadlyDynasty
11-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Patton Oswalt and David Cross, tbh.

Anthony Jesselnik's standup (not the show) is pretty fucking amazing too.
+1, although I haven't seen any of his routines in years.

Blake
11-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Her standup routine is horrible, imo

Blake
11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Anybody think Lisa Lampenelli is funny ?

i think her doing the roasts is better than her standup.

leemajors
11-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I didn't care for Jeselnik's last special, half his setups were talking about how offensive his next joke was going to be.

SpursRock20
11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
They just don't come off as sincere in their attempts imo. It just seems unnatural. Amy Schumer is the only female standup I've ever found funny tbh. The only female character in a sitcom I've genuinely enjoyed is Dee from Always Sunny.
:tu

SpursRock20
11-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Elaine was pretty hilarious, too.

leemajors
11-07-2013, 12:00 PM
she's not a comedian.

chunticakes
07-01-2014, 10:24 AM
i had this discussion with a woman the other day. what is it with that dyke ellen degeneres that people like so much?

Infinite_limit
07-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Even though she only does one liners, Joan Rivers is the funniest American comedian

xmas1997
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
They don't, there are not as many of them I suppose.
Gilda Radner
Lucille Ball
Gracie Allen
Carol Burnett
Melissa McCarthy

All very funny.