PDA

View Full Version : Stankovic Cup

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-26-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't know if you get this tournament in the U.S., probably not since it's an international competition involving:

- Argentina (Olympic Champion)
- Australia (Oceania Champion)
- Angola (African Champion)
- China (Asian Champion)
- Lithuania (European Champion)
- Puerto Rico (Amercas runner-up, it seems the U.S. declined the invitation).

Most of the teams are using this competition as a test bank, trying new players (only 2 in the Argentinian roster from the Olympics, the only NBA player is Yao Ming). For Argentina, it will represent the first tournament under the guidance of a new head coach, Sergio Hernandez, who replaced the sucessful Ruben Magnano. Since there will be so many young players involved, proably some NBA scouts will have an eye on this.

In the first game, Lithuania beat Puerto Rico, 82-73. The second game is in progress, Argentina 31-Australia 13.

http://bscup.sina.com.cn/en/

For anyone asking why it is named Boris Stankovic, well he was one of the people who promoted basketball worldwide in its early stages.

The event is named "Stankovic Continental Champions Cup" in honor of Mr. Borislav Stankovic for his lifetime pursuit of basketball. He has been FIBA Secretary General for over 26 years and in his term of office, the distinction between amateurs and professionals had been lifted allowing the world's best basketball players to participate in Olympic Games and FIBA World Championships.

"Basketball would not be what it is today without him", stated FIBA Secretary General Mr. Patrick Baumann. "The game now belongs to the top sports in the world, popular, spectacular and truly global. We look forward to the action, which will commence on July 25th in the Olympic city of 2008 – just one year ahead of the 2006 FIBA World Championship, which will be hosted in Japan."

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Oh, and sorry if this isn't very Spurs-related. But since there is no basketball to talk about other than summer league. And because there are so many young international prospects involved, it may be Spurs related in the future!

xcoriate
07-26-2005, 07:15 AM
well the aussie team overall is pretty uninspiring.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-26-2005, 07:17 AM
well the aussie team overall is pretty uninspiring.

Indeed. Score at Half time:

Argentina 46
Australia 18

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Final score:
Argentina 88
Australia 57

Next game:
China vs. Angola

danyel
07-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Final score Argentina 88 - Australia 57

smeagol
07-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Did the Aussies present their B Team?

danyel
07-26-2005, 08:30 AM

Yeah, but it looked more like a D Team

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
aussie abcdefg team...= fuckn shit team

WalterBenitez
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM

ARG used its B or C Team, Aussies used its "Z", my grandma jumps better than those boys in green.

waly.mg
07-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Argentina thrashed Australia by 31

Argentina's defense is aggressive

ĦĦĦĦIn the second game of the Stankovic Continental Champions Cup, Argentina established their early lead and never get caught. They finally won the game 88-57.

ĦĦĦĦAfter Argentina scored the first two points, Australia's break drew a foul and shoot all the free-throws. After that, Argentina showed everyone the strength of the world champion, one play in the paint and one steal gave them a 4 point lead.

ĦĦĦĦBoth team strengthen the defense, Australia's shot got blocked twice, it was very hard for both team to score. Argentina's high shooting percentage played an important role, they led by 8 when there was 4:02 left in the first quarter.

ĦĦĦĦAfter Australia called a time out, they scored 4 straight points to cut the deficit to 4, but Argentina had a 13-2 run to extend the lead to 15. Argentina led 24-9 in the first quarter.

ĦĦĦĦAfter the second quarter began, Argentina extended their lead advantage to 22. It was very hard for Australia to defend Argentina's offense, in the second quarter, Australia never got closer than 15 points. Kammerichs made a excellent one-handed driving slam dunk when 2:25 left in the second quarter, and Argentina led 46-18 at the end of the first half.

ĦĦĦĦIn the second half, Argentina had a 30 point lead when there was 7:03 left in the third quarter, then the gap extended to 33. After missed a 3-pointer, Australia could only reduce the gap to 30. Argentia hit two straight shots at the end of the third quarter and led 66-32.

ĦĦĦĦIn the fourth quarter, Argentina was not as aggressive as they did in the first three quarters but they still had a 6-2 run. Argentina led 75-36 when there was 6:09 left in the fourth quarter, Australia called a timeout.

ĦĦĦĦAfter the timeout, Argentina used many bench players, they finally got a 31 point win.

ĦĦĦĦArgentina's Fernandez got a team-high 16 points; Australia's guard Bruton got a game high 21 points.

gus
07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Men those Aussies were awfulĦĦĦĦ.

I saw the match and they can't hit the ocean with a brick.

Gus.-

spurschick
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm totally jealous! I wish they would show these games here. You'd think that there would be some coverage considering all the euroleague players that are making the jump to the NBA these days.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-26-2005, 04:14 PM
China, without their superstar Yao "Frankestein" Ming (DNP Politbureau decission), beat Angola 62-61.

Some of the best players in the first day of competition:
Bobby Joe Hatton (G - Puerto Rico)
Rick Apodaca (G - Puerto Rico)
Manuel Narvaez (C - Puerto Rico)
Mindaugas Lukauskis (G - Lithuania)
Martynas Andriukaitis (F - Lithuania)
Povilas Cukinas (C - Lithuania)
Zhu Fangyu (F - China)
Yi Jianlian (watch this 18 years old Forward, some lottery team might draft him just to sell shirts in China :lol).
Olimpio Cipriano (F - Angola)

Argentina trashed Australia, one team had almost all their players playing well, while Australia only had two players who scored over ten points:
CJ-Bruton (G)
Mark Worthington (F)

waly.mg
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Argentina
83 - 64
Final score

Angola
27/07/2005 | 16:00 | Beijing

TEAM LEADERS
Jasen, Hernan Emilio (14) Points
Jasen, Hernan Emilio (6) Rebounds
Farabello, Daniel Edgardo (4) Assists

Hernan Jasen was a Manu´s teammate when both played in the Argetina´s league for Andino of La Rioja, both with 17-18 years, from Bahia Blanza too

Box Score (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/iframe_popup.asp?RoundID=4542&GroupName=A&GameName=4)

Argentina got their second straight wins

ĦĦĦĦArgentina dominate in the late of the third quarter and the early fourth quarter, this helped them to got the second straight wins in the Stankovic Continental Champions Cup, they beat Angola 83-64.

ĦĦĦĦAfter one night rest, Angola looked much aggressive than yesterday, they hit the first basket of the game. Angola soon took a 7-3 lead. Argentina soon found their rythm in offense, and took the lead. Argentina had a 11-1 run, they lead the game 14-8 when there was 5:33 left in the first quarter. When Argentina went up 19-10, Angola called the first timeout of the game.

ĦĦĦĦAfter the timeout, Angola hit a 3 pointer and reduce the deficit to 6. It seemed difficult for Angola, Argentina's high shooting percentage helped them to lead by 11. When there was 1:50 left in the first quarter, Angola's 3-pointer cut the deficit to 4. Argentina finally led 28-24 in the first quarter, Argentina's Quinteros got a game-high 7 points.

ĦĦĦĦAt the beginning of the second quarter, Argentina's 3-pointer played a decisive part, they extended their lead to 14. When there was 6:33 left in the first half, Angola called a timeout. After the timeout, Angola once cut the deficit to 7, but Argentina didn't give Angola any more chance, the gap between the two team became 11 when there was 2:34 left in the second quarter. When Angola again cut the deficit to 2 when there was 0:41 left in the second quarter, Argentina called a timeout. After the timeout, neither team scored and Argentina led the first half 44-42.

ĦĦĦĦAs the second half began, Angola soon tied the match. Argentina gradually took over the game and took the lead, when there was 4:27 left in the third quarter, Argentina led by 8 points. Whenever Angola wanted to caught up, Argentina use their solid defense and fast break to consolidate their lead. At the end of the third quarter, Angola's guard Lutonda played an key part in the team, his 3-points play made the deficit down within 10 point. But at the end of the third quarter, Argentina extended their lead to 15 and ended the quarter 68-53.

ĦĦĦĦIn the fourth quarter, Angola began to turn the ball over, Argentina took the chance and extended their lead to 25. Angola didn't score in the fourth quarter until there was only 4:05 left in the game. Argentina won the game 83-64, it was their second straight wins.

Box Score (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/iframe_popup.asp?RoundID=4542&GroupName=A&GameName=4)

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 10:29 AM
ARG doesn't look as solid as in the previous game, but handle the game to an easy victory.

manubili
07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Is there a TV schedule? (for argentina) I wish I could watch the next games, against the big ones (Lituania, Puerto Rico, China...).
Thanx!

spurschick
07-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I think only ESPN Deportes is showing the games.

MI21
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Argentina's Fernandez got a team-high 16 points; Australia's guard Bruton got a game high 21 points.

I lost to his brother's team on Monday night :(

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Off topic question (sort of): When the US plays in the World Championship Qualifiers in the Dominic Republic this summer, since Argentina has already qualified, why are they playing in the same qualifying tourney?

spurschick
07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Off topic question (sort of): When the US plays in the World Championship Qualifiers in the Dominic Republic this summer, since Argentina has already qualified, why are they playing in the same qualifying tourney?

If I had to take a guess, I would say it might be to get some quality playing time for the team. They're playing right now with a bunch of different guys than were on the Olympic team. The qualifying tourney would give the new guys a chance to establish some chemistry.

gus
07-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Argentina is playing because is not only a qualifyer but also an official tournament called Torneo de las Americas ( Tournament of the Americas ) played biannually. Last champion was USA with Duncan and Argentina with Manu came 2nd. and this tournament was used to Olympic Qualifyer.

Gus

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Argentina is playing because is not only a qualifyer but also an official tournament called Torneo de las Americas ( Tournament of the Americas ) played biannually. Last champion was USA with Duncan and Argentina with Manu came 2nd. and this tournament was used to Olympic Qualifyer.

Gus

Thanks.

So does Argentina send their normal team? The US is sending all non-NBA players for this.

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Is there a TV schedule? (for argentina) I wish I could watch the next games, against the big ones (Lituania, Puerto Rico, China...).
Thanx!

I heard ...

Fri 05:30 AM (Buenos Aires' time) against Lituania
Sat 10:00 AM (idem) against China
Sund 04:00 AM (idem) against Puerto Rico

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I lost to his brother's team on Monday night :(

Where are you playing at??

kolko
07-27-2005, 11:50 AM
So does Argentina send their normal team? The US is sending all non-NBA players for this.

No, only one olympic champion will play (Leo Gutierrez)

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks.

ARG will send the same roster that is playing in China with only two changes (This roster will include only one Gold Medallist, 0 NBA).

USA!!?? No idea, looks like USA Basketball is working on it

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
USA!!?? No idea, looks like USA Basketball is working on it

USA has 15 non-NBA players trying out in Florida the first week in August to make the 12 man team. My friend, Noel Felix, was invited to try out.

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
My friend, Noel Felix, was invited to try out.

It'll be good to have an ambassador there, any inside info?? are these players from CBA? FIBA? NCAA?

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 12:01 PM
It'll be good to have an ambassador there, any inside info?? are these players from CBA? FIBA? NCAA?

The list of players trying out was released today. I don't know if Noel will make it -- it seems like it will be fun for him if he does.

Here's the players that will be trying out; they are mostly NBDL and CBA players.

http://usabasketball.com/men/2005/05_mtoa_roster.html

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
2005 USA Men's World Championship Qualifying Team Finalists Roster

9 FIBAs
Michael Batiste F 6-8 235 11/21/77 Panathinaikos (Greece) / Arizona State '99
Charlie Bell G 6-3 175 03/13/79 Leche Rio (Spain) / Michigan State '01
Tyus Edney G 5-10 160 02/14/73 Lottomatica Roma (Italy) / UCLA '95
Lynn Greer G 6-1 175 10/23/79 Dynamo Moscow (Russia) / Temple '02
Jimmie Hunter G 6-5 210 12/24/77 Sebastiani Rieti (Italy) / Life ‘00
Kris Lang C 6-11 247 12/12/79 Unicaja Malaga (Spain) / North Carolina '02
Aaron McGhee F 6-8 250 06/28/79 Pusan KTF (Korea) / Oklahoma '02
Marque Perry G 6-1 180 01/28/81 Olympiacos (Greece) / Saint Louis ‘03
Alex Scales G 6-4 07/03/78 Samsung (Korea) / Oregon '99

4 CBAs
Jerome Beasley F 6-10 224 05/17/81 Sioux Falls (CBA) / North Dakota '03
Corsley Edwards F 6-9 275 03/05/76 Sioux Falls (CBA) / Central Connecticut State'02
Noel Felix F 6-9 225 10/04/81 Yakima (CBA) / Fresno State ‘03
Melvin Sanders F 6-5 210 01/03/81 Dakota (CBA) / Oklahoma State '03

2 D-League
Ernest Brown C 7-0 255 05/17/79 Fayetteville (D-League) / Indian Hills C.C. "00
Ron Slay F 6-8 225 06/29/81 Asheville (D-League) / Tennessee '03

NZHayden
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
off topic again- the nz tall blacks were in an international tournament a couple of months ago involving china, lithuania and an invitational american team, they came out of that with a 3-3 win- loss record. pretty good considering sean marks and kirk penney werent there

xcoriate
07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Marks has retired from international now hasn't he.

snyderman
07-27-2005, 07:24 PM
what, marks won't be tearing it up for powerhouse new zealand anymore?

kolko
07-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Charlie Bell will sign with the Bucks.

NZHayden
07-29-2005, 07:50 AM
yeah he has retired from internationals

WalterBenitez
07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
LIT 83 ARG 77, my summary :depressed

LIT led the game by as far as 19 and finalized 24-10 in 1st quarter (ARG didn't exist and did many TO); later played great D in 2q (45-37) and 3q, even ARG led by 5 with 4 min to go in the 4q, ARG had many opportunities to close the game but shot after shot they failed and the worst part was from FT line (It was one of those days, you know :bang).

LIT's boys played good, they went 60% from 3 ( :flipoff ), good defense even playing with their Team "B".

Refs were horrible, some calls were in favor of ARG :blah some in favor of LIT :flipoff ; bottom line LIT played better and deserved to win.

CHI vs PUERTO RICO didn't finish because players started to fight ... remember DET-IND ... the same funny show :angel

spurschick
07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
LIT's boys played good, they went 60% from 3

That's just nuts! :wow

manubili
07-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I've seen the china-arg game.
ARG: 86 / CHI: 66.
Argentina outplayed China, and was really good in 3 throws, I don't know for sure, but i think nearly 60 - 70%.

Federico Kammerich has some highlight-reel moves that were awsome! If he always plays like that, he's another NBA argie in the future. Y aguante Ferro!

More data in:
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/30/um/m-1024029.htm

kolko
07-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Federico Kammerich has some highlight-reel moves that were awsome! If he always plays like that, he's another NBA argie in the future.

He was drafted by Portland.

spurschick
07-30-2005, 07:33 PM

:lol No wonder the Chinese were so pissed off.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Argentina outplayed China, and was really good in 3 throws, I don't know for sure, but i think nearly 60 - 70%.

Federico Kammerich has some highlight-reel moves that were awsome! If he always plays like that, he's another NBA argie in the future. Y aguante Ferro!

More data in:
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/30/um/m-1024029.htm

Kammerichs was drafted by Portland, but I don't know if he could have a career in the NBA. When he drives to the hoop he is an excellent player, but if the way to the rim is blocked and he is forced to shoot from distance he struggles a lot. He could be a good player for a team like Charlotte, New Orleans, Atlanta, Golden State, Toronto, etc.

TheWriter
07-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Is Robertas Javtokas playing?

manubili
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Kammerichs was drafted by Portland, but I don't know if he could have a career in the NBA. When he drives to the hoop he is an excellent player, but if the way to the rim is blocked and he is forced to shoot from distance he struggles a lot. He could be a good player for a team like Charlotte, New Orleans, Atlanta, Golden State, Toronto, etc.

Yeah, I know wath you mean. I hope he improves, couse i like his style.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Is Robertas Javtokas playing?

No, Lithuania (like Argentina, Puerto Rico and Australia) send a team composed of players without international experience, to give them experience in case they are needed in the future.