PDA

View Full Version : Green benched 1 minute into game

NYspursFan
11-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Looks like Pop is starting to get fed up with his poor performances already into the season. Benching green one minute into the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Good move until Green wakes up. He's better suited as a bench player than starter.

ElNono
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
tank

TXstbobcat
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Green in pops doghouse

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Mills and Diaw and Beli are playing well. It's probably more a matter of rewarding guys who are playing better.

exstatic
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Looks like Pop is starting to get fed up with his poor performances already into the season. Benching green one minute into the game.

Yes, but he was NOT benched for missing shots. He was benched for not playing D. Pop basically said "If you're only going to play offense, I'm going with Beli because he's better than you in that phase of the game."

Baseline
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Good move until Green wakes up. He's better suited as a bench player than starter.
Exactly. A park bench in Moscow.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Yes, but he was NOT benched for missing shots. He was benched for not playing D. Pop basically said "If you're only going to play offense, I'm going with Beli because he's better than you in that phase of the game."

But then he puts Bonner in the game who gets torched for an entire quarter.

PlayNando
11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
He's a scrub.

Johnny RIngo
Manu/Belli are a combined 1-9 tonight. None of our shooting guards are really playing well

DesignatedT
Did you just start watching the Spurs and Pop?

Chinook
11-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe Green has attitude problems after his Finals run. Wouldn't shock me totally. Apparently his attitude is why the team cut him the first time. He's probably struggling to keep his head in the game. Hopefully if this is the case, he and Pop can figure this out. As with any of the top six players, not having Green firing on all cylinders torpedoes the team's championship hopes.

aal04
11-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Wasnt he partying with Miami after the finals last year?

exstatic
11-05-2013, 10:32 PM
But then he puts Bonner in the game who gets torched for an entire quarter.

The Spurs have roles. Danny's is to 3 and D, Bonner's is to shoot. He's not ever going to effectively check Manimal or McGee.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
The Spurs have roles. Danny's is to 3 and D, Bonner's is to shoot. He's not ever going to effectively check Manimal or McGee.

Not sure what your point is. He gets torched. He hits one three.

Mark in Austin
11-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Maybe Green has attitude problems after his Finals run.

The run of missed shots? He seems to be continuing it. I've never seen a player as hot as Green was for the first 5 games COMPLETELY shit the bed like he did in games 6 and 7. If he really thinks he accomplished anything in the finals he can go fuck himself. If he shoots anywhere near his averages in game 6 the Spurs have a ring right now.

ElNono
11-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Manu/Belli are a combined 1-9 tonight. None of our shooting guards are really playing well

Manu was shooting 51% and Belli 50% prior to this game... If that's not playing well...

Johnny RIngo
11-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Manu was shooting 51% and Belli 50% prior to this game... If that's not playing well...

I was talking about tonight's game when I made that statement

DMC
11-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Wasnt he partying with Miami after the finals last year?

Non issue. They play a sport for a living and make millions. They don't take it as seriously as some here do who make nothing from it.

DMC
11-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Danny isn't accustomed to the notoriety. Other teams know who he is now. He'll adjust. He didn't start out good and get shitty, he went the other way, so he knows how to make adjustments.

ElNono
11-06-2013, 12:51 AM
I was talking about tonight's game when I made that statement

Thanks for clarifying... BTW, Manu was 1-9 tonight... Manu/Belli combined were 3-14... Belli wasn't that bad, but Manu had a horrible shooting night.

Johnny RIngo
11-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks for clarifying... BTW, Manu was 1-9 tonight... Manu/Belli combined were 3-14... Belli wasn't that bad, but Manu had a horrible shooting night.

Manu didn't shoot well but he helped in other areas. Belli looks like another Neal. If he's not shooting well, he's not doing much of anything. And Belli's defense is awful. Hilarious that Spurstalk were treating this guy like '05 Manu after the Portland game.

DesignatedT
11-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Manu had a rough night shooting but I thought he played a good game. He was very active defensively all night and moved the ball around well. (4rebs 5asts 3stls)

Green woke up second half and played with a lot of energy. Obviously struggling with his shot but Pop just wants to see that energy he had in the second half at all times.

DesignatedT
11-06-2013, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't say Belinelli's defense is awful. He's not a very good 1 on 1 defender but he plays the passing lanes well and has active hands. You can tell hes physically limited when it comes to playing defense but it's not because hes making mental mistakes or his head isn't in the game (Neal). Belinelli understands the game and is a very smart player and that goes a long way.

ElNono
11-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Manu didn't shoot well but he helped in other areas. Belli looks like another Neal. If he's not shooting well, he's not doing much of anything. And Belli's defense is awful. Hilarious that Spurstalk were treating this guy like '05 Manu after the Portland game.

Belli is going to take a while to figure everything out with the system, teammates, etc. The fact that he's playing as good as Neal was in his 3rd year with the team looks promising. I though his defense has been adequate in general, although the entire team sometime go through spells of shitty defense.

silverblackfan
11-06-2013, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't say Belinelli's defense is awful. He's not a very good 1 on 1 defender but he plays the passing lanes well and has active hands. You can tell hes physically limited when it comes to playing defense but it's not because hes making mental mistakes or his head isn't in the game (Neal). Belinelli understands the game and is a very smart player and that goes a long way.

Spot on, in my opinion. Lots of good information from Belinelli's extra playing time with the starting unit. Danny did a good job getting back into the game in the second half. Win win. Pop now sees some options and the team managed to find 5 guys who could play a quarter and win tonight.

gee
11-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Green had a little temper tantrum and threw a towel afterwards lolz
He also got specifically benched I think near the start of the 3rd after throwing a shit pass that led to a Faried dunk.

NYspursFan
11-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Did you just start watching the Spurs and Pop? I've actually been a spurs fan since 1992 before having pop and dealing with three head coaches in that year. I don't understand your point in asking that irrelevant question. I've seen pop bench numerous players before he treated Blair this way the past couple of season. I just did not agree with benching Danny green that early on, at least give him an opportunity to learn from his mistake. Pull him to the sideline and let him know what he did. Manu made more crucial errors in a finals game and was never pulled out doing those crucial times.

Raven
11-06-2013, 06:13 AM

add a negation on every sentence that is not already, and i agree.

anakha
11-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Green, more than anyone in the starting 5, is dependent on a humming Spurs offense to get his shots.

From what I've seen so far, the team is still trying to settle down with some new tweaks to their offense. I suspect once they've gotten all the kinks out, he'll start getting more open looks.

Rogue
11-06-2013, 08:12 AM
dude's 3 and D were the elements that earned him a starting spot in the first place, but now neither seems to be left in him. Green is just a scrub, Miami exposed him in the finals and beat him back to the cruel reality. Dude just an upgraded Roger Mason imho

dg7md
11-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Should have traded him when his stock was super high. Dude has been figured out.

spurraider21
11-06-2013, 02:31 PM
dude's 3 and D were the elements that earned him a starting spot in the first place, but now neither seems to be left in him. Green is just a scrub, Miami exposed him in the finals and beat him back to the cruel reality. Dude just an upgraded Roger Mason imho
:lmao

spurraider21
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
people saying Green has been "figured out" is hysterical. for the past 2 years everybody knows he is a spot up shooter on offense. there isn't much to "figure out" for fucks sake. he's among the best spot up shooters in the league who can also bring really good defense. he's sort of like the average between Bowen and Korver. Not as good as Bowen on defense, but also not limited to just the corner 3 on offense, and not QUITE the shooter Korver is (Korver makes higher degree of difficulty shots) though unlike Korver, a Nash-like defender (gives effort, just doesn't have the ability), he is a very good defensive player.

i'm sure Korver's offensive game was "figured out" a LONG time ago, but he's still effective.

Green's shot has been off during the first 4 games of the season (and notably, games 6 and 7 of the Finals). considering how deadly he has been the last 2 seasons, there is no reason to believe his shot won't bounce back.

james evans
11-06-2013, 04:37 PM
The run of missed shots? He seems to be continuing it. I've never seen a player as hot as Green was for the first 5 games COMPLETELY shit the bed like he did in games 6 and 7. If he really thinks he accomplished anything in the finals he can go fuck himself. If he shoots anywhere near his averages in game 6 the Spurs have a ring right now.
ray allen in the 2010 finals. first 2 games he was hot, the rest of the series he couldn't hit shit

Hoops Czar
11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
people saying Green has been "figured out" is hysterical. for the past 2 years everybody knows he is a spot up shooter on offense. there isn't much to "figure out" for fucks sake. he's among the best spot up shooters in the league who can also bring really good defense. he's sort of like the average between Bowen and Korver. Not as good as Bowen on defense, but also not limited to just the corner 3 on offense, and not QUITE the shooter Korver is (Korver makes higher degree of difficulty shots) though unlike Korver, a Nash-like defender (gives effort, just doesn't have the ability), he is a very good defensive player.

i'm sure Korver's offensive game was "figured out" a LONG time ago, but he's still effective.

Green's shot has been off during the first 4 games of the season (and notably, games 6 and 7 of the Finals). considering how deadly he has been the last 2 seasons, there is no reason to believe his shot won't bounce back.

Saying that Green's defense is the average between Bowen's and Korver's is like saying Green's defense is league average. Bowen and Korver are complete polar opposites on defense. As a matter of fact, Korver's defense is so bad, that it might pull Green's average slightly below the mean. Of course, I'd have to disagree.

As far as Green's offense, he isn't getting the wide open looks like he used to. Teams are putting a body on him and forcing other players to beat them. Green can't create his own shot and struggles mightily when he puts the ball on the floor. He's pretty much useless if he can't knock down three's. His defense isn't Bowen worthy where you can just forgo the ineptitude on one end of the court. He'll be used continuously even if he doesn't regain form on the offensive end because he's still somewhat useful on defense. But, I would expect his minutes to decline in the process to where he's only being used in defensive sequences.

spurraider21
11-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I never said his defense is the average between them. I just said it's somewhere in between. If they aren't leaving him open, that's just more space and less doubles for our stars to work with. The idea is if tony or Tim start to put up poins, they will be forced to double or sag off green. I trust his shot to turn around

Mark in Austin
11-06-2013, 05:41 PM
ray allen in the 2010 finals. first 2 games he was hot, the rest of the series he couldn't hit shit

Allen was 0-2 from 3 in game 1. Game 2 he was beyond hot - 8-11 from 3. The rest of the series he varied from absolute shit to below average. However, in game 6 Allen was 2-5 from 3 & 7-14 overall. Way better than Green's 1-5 from 3 & 1-7 overall. Allens game 7 was also better: 2-7 from 3 & 3-14 overall. Green was 1-6 from 3 & 1-12 overall in game 7.

Even if Green had scored at Allen's shitty 2010 NBA finals level the last 2 games, the Spurs would have a ring.

Hoops Czar
11-06-2013, 05:46 PM
I never said his defense is the average between them. I just said it's somewhere in between. If they aren't leaving him open, that's just more space and less doubles for our stars to work with. The idea is if tony or Tim start to put up poins, they will be forced to double or sag off green. I trust his shot to turn around

Outside of Tony, nobody demands a double team. And when he insists on shooting 15-footers and beyond, he doesn't demand one either. Oh, sometimes, Diaw and Splitter slip into the paint for a 2-footer but, this is predominently a jump shooting team and that usually plays right into the hands of the opponent. Nobody's jump shot is that devastating that defenders will have to sag off anyone. Maybe things will change, but early on, the Spurs have been plaqued by poor shot selection and ball movement.

The overall defense is going to take a hit with the second unit, so the overall offense is going to have to be a lot better going forward.

timtonymanu
11-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Danny Green will be fine. He'll go on a hot streak soon and everyone will forget

anakha
11-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Bump

tim_duncan_fan
11-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Bow to your Green god, punk-ass bitches.