PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need to figure out a way to utilize Leonard..

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 10:07 PM
They need to get him closer to the basket, tbh..

Post plays, iso plays closer to the basket, cuts, etc..

Leonard shooting mid-range jump shots all game is inefficient and ineffective, and it's a waste of his talent, tbh..

Obviously part of the problem is Leonard himself, he needs to attack more, but it's evident the Spurs' spacing is terrible when Leonard has the ball, and the other players don't know how to react when he has the ball IMO..chemistry will help as the season progresses, but they need to be proactive..

Every time Leonard takes a dribble and shoots a mid-range jump shot, it's a win for the defense..

Darius McCrary
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Seriously he is taking way way way too many 1 dribble long mid ranges.

That's a low percentage shot

HI-FI
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
lol, didn't you write the same thread last year?

ElNono
11-05-2013, 10:10 PM
this is a game where posting isn't easy, because you know McGee is coming weakside to swat at anything...

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-05-2013, 10:10 PM
He passes up threes too.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
If he's only going to play hard when he gets a steal and a break to the basket then he's not going to do very well. He looks more like rookie year Kawhi than NBA Finals Kawhi so far.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 10:14 PM
this is a game where posting isn't easy, because you know McGee is coming weakside to swat at anything...

He wasn't on the floor for a large chunk of the half..

Duncan is just shooting jump shots anyways, and Bonner was on the floor..they had plenty of opportunities to run it to Leonard closer to the basket, tbh..

DesignatedT
11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Sure the coaching staff could do more but Leonard could still be showing/doing a lot more as is. He isn't playing very well.

PlayNando
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
at this point hes overrated tbh

hes a good player but no all star

the finals was an aberration tbh its unfair to expect finals kawhi from now on tbh

cd021
11-05-2013, 10:24 PM
They need to get him closer to the basket, tbh..

Post plays, iso plays closer to the basket, cuts, etc..

Leonard shooting mid-range jump shots all game is inefficient and ineffective, and it's a waste of his talent, tbh..

Obviously part of the problem is Leonard himself, he needs to attack more, but it's evident the Spurs' spacing is terrible when Leonard has the ball, and the other players don't know how to react when he has the ball IMO..chemistry will help as the season progresses, but they need to be proactive..

Every time Leonard takes a dribble and shoots a mid-range jump shot, it's a win for the defense..

I don't believe he is capable of consistently attacking the rim in the half court. He doesn't look comfortable dribbling in traffic either. He did shoot well above average from mid range last season.

Chinook
11-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I agree. Leonard needs to take advantage of his experience as a college big. He's not a guard. I don't think his role on the offense should prioritize him on the perimeter.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't believe he is capable of consistently attacking the rim in the half court. He doesn't look comfortable dribbling in traffic either. He did shoot well above average from mid range last season.

He's already shown he can post-up/attack the rim in short bursts and when he's given the ball closer to the basket..

He doesn't have the ball-handling and creativity to attack from the perimeter at this point, so it doesn't make sense that they're asking him to create from the perimeter, especially when Bonner or Diaw is on the floor..

Leonard isn't Manu or Parker, he's currently in the prime Luol Deng category, you can't just give him the ball on the perimeter and ask him to create from there, you have to put him in positions to succeed..

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I agree. Leonard needs to take advantage of his experience as a college big. He's not a guard. I don't think his role on the offense should prioritize him on the perimeter.

Exactly, which is why they should be implementing more mid-post range plays, rather than giving him the ball at the perimeter, where his ball-handling skills are mediocre..

If Pop doesn't utilize him more in different types of sets at some point, I'm going to start believing that Pop is unable to utilize a system that doesn't feature Duncan/Parker/Ginobili as the only creators..

exstatic
11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
There will be growing pains from his increased usage. He's a gym and film rat though, and will learn quickly when mistakes are pointed out. He's actually getting more vocal about post ups when they're trying to hide someone like Foye on him.

siraulo23
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Pop is unable to utilize a system that doesn't feature Duncan/Parker/Ginobili as the only creators..

Pop saying he's gonna call more plays for leonard = post him up regardless of who's defending him out of a timeout a couple of times a game

If Pop had lebron/durant playing with the tp/td/manu he wouldnt know how to use em

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 10:53 PM
They finally ran a post play for him..it rimmed out, but still, a good look..

They need more of those, play to his strengths, or this team is very ordinary on nights where Manu is struggling, tbh..

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Kawhi passed up a long jumper, was patient, found an opening in the defense and hit Diaw for a wide open jumper. There's almost always a better shot if you work for it.

exstatic
11-05-2013, 11:03 PM
They finally ran a post play for him..it rimmed out, but still, a good look..

They need more of those, play to his strengths, or this team is very ordinary on nights where Manu is struggling, tbh..

They've run like 3-4 since halftime.

DesignatedT
11-05-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't mind Kawhi coming off a screen to get him an open mid range look but I'm not a fan of it off the dribble.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 11:17 PM
They've run like 3-4 since halftime.

Yep, good adjustment from Pop..Spurs need a lot more of it, especially when Diaw is spacing the floor..

Obstructed_View
11-05-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't mind Kawhi coming off a screen to get him an open mid range look but I'm not a fan of it off the dribble.

It's like a punt. He doesn't want to shoot the three, and he doesn't want to keep the offense going. It's bad basketball. There's no way the coaching staff wants him taking those shots. There are only three guys on the roster you allow to call their own number like that: Parker, Manu and Mills. Maybe Marco, but definitely not Kawhi.

Mugen
11-05-2013, 11:27 PM
He should see more time on the court without the Big 3 or at least have the plays run through him if hes playing with the second unit. I'd like to see Pop adjust the rotation to get Kawhi in a lineup where he's the focal point of the O. His development as a reliable 2nd or 3rd option is the biggest key for the Spurs' championship chances this season tbh.

MI21
11-05-2013, 11:32 PM
He comes up with some awful looking post-ups at times but the majority of the time he gets a good look. I don't understand why they can't run that a few more times, particularly when is on the floor without 2 of Splitter/Tim/Ayres/Baynes.

They also need to get him on the move a little bit more so he can catch on the run where his length makes up for his lack of hops.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2013, 11:41 PM
The plays in the 2nd half were ideal, tbh..

They ran 4 post plays for him, including a stretch in the 4th where they kept looking for him down low against Hamilton..he also had a nice cut to the basket off a Duncan post..also had a curl for a mid-range jump shot at the FT line, rather than a mid-range off the dribble from the wing..

He was invisible in the 1st half, so nice to see adjustments from both Pop and Kawhi himself..

SpursRock20
11-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Leonard looked very promising out there tonight. Only thing that I'd like to see less of is the out-of-rhythm 20 foot pull-ups that he routinely takes. He needs to look to get a little closer and pull up from 15. Other than that, he looked solid. :toast

ElNono
11-05-2013, 11:44 PM
those post-ups still need a bit more work, tbh... but practice makes perfect

Brunodf
11-05-2013, 11:44 PM
For some reason Kawhi can't make 3s anymore...

freetiago
11-05-2013, 11:51 PM
his handles is making his offensive game horrible in all aspects
hes unable to beat guys off the dribble that he should easily be able to because of it
its why he keeps pulling up for 1 dribble mid range shots

cd021
11-05-2013, 11:59 PM
He's already shown he can post-up/attack the rim in short bursts and when he's given the ball closer to the basket..

He doesn't have the ball-handling and creativity to attack from the perimeter at this point, so it doesn't make sense that they're asking him to create from the perimeter, especially when Bonner or Diaw is on the floor..

Leonard isn't Manu or Parker, he's currently in the prime Luol Deng category, you can't just give him the ball on the perimeter and ask him to create from there, you have to put him in positions to succeed..

I agree. But I add that most of his success in attacking the rim is off him attacking the rim off his defender scrambling to close-out. After watching the second half of the Denver game, he looks better particularly at attacking after accepting the screen.

I've been particularly interested in his 3pt shooting, since becoming more and more involved in our offense. Since March of last season (Parker got injured on the 1st of that month and Leonard saw a bigger role from that point on) through the post season and the first four games of this year he is
43-115 (37.3%) which is above average, that is important because he is moving away from the corner and shooting more in different areas behind the 3 point line.

TheyCallMePro
11-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I've always said that Leonard was too shy for his own good. Parker made it sound like Pop got on his case at halftime and I guess it worked because he played better in the second half. But still, does Leonard know that this is a contract year for him? If he's great this year, he's going to be given a monster extension in the summer. But he's playing passively and unsure of himself to this point.

I don't think Kawhi gets it. He doesn't have to defer to the Big 3 anymore. Pop wants him to be aggressive now. He doesn't care if Kawhi misses shots, he wants him to shoot. But he won't do it. So many times he has space to shoot and he doesn't. It's driving everyone on the team crazy. Parker talked post game and was like "Yeah...I don't know what's up with Kawhi....he wasn't being aggressive in the first half at all. But Pop got on him at halftime."

This is strike one for Kawhi. Let's hope he can turn things around. Because if he doesn't make the leap we all expected him to make this year then there's no hope of getting back to the Finals. Kawhi is the difference maker, but he won't make a difference if he's not more aggressive.

cd021
11-06-2013, 12:03 AM

2-10 to start the season.

I remembered after Parker got injured late last season, Leonard took on a bigger role while his 3pt shooting suffered.
but I actually looked at his splits and game log a few minutes ago....

from March of last season (playoffs include) through now (4 games in) he is shooting 37% 3pt (43-115)

exstatic
11-06-2013, 12:03 AM

Four games is a pretty small sample. He's never going to be Ray Allen, or even Danny Green. He needs to make just enough to make defenders honor it and close out so he can put the ball on the floor and make something good happen, somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-38%.

jestersmash
11-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Four games is a pretty small sample. He's never going to be Ray Allen, or even Danny Green. He needs to make just enough to make defenders honor it and close out so he can put the ball on the floor and make something good happen, somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-38%.

38% would be pretty elite, tbh. I'd be happy with anything around 30-34%

Chinook
11-06-2013, 12:19 AM
What also has been hurting him is Pop not playing small as much as he did last season. Kawhi has the perimeter skills to take a power-forward off the dribble while still being able to hang in the post. Leonard is made for small-ball.

DesignatedT
11-06-2013, 12:21 AM
I know his vision and passing ability are some of the "weaknesses" of his game right now but I would still like to see him get some more opportunities in the p&r. Especially when Tony-Manu-Marco are sitting on the bench.

apalisoc_9
11-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Judging from the second half of the game, Pop does know how to utilize leonard. Leonard needs to be more assertive..

He needs to Earn Tiago-Timmy and Parker's trust tbh..Speically the two bigs, if he wants any decent PnR plays..

pgardn
11-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Cutting to the basket.

He is much more comfortable without the ball not having to initiate penetration. Setting some screens for him off the ball really helps him to cut off of. Right now, this is the player we got. If confidence in his 3 returns, then more options are available. The man wants nothing to do with taking anyone off the dribble, even if it leads to openings for others. His first step is totally lacking any advantage.

Other than the above it's picking up junk off of others misses and running the floor without the ball.
The post up still looks stilted, the ability is there, but I sense no real rhythm yet.

This is was a game hard to look very good in. It's definitely early season.

tim_duncan_fan
11-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Kawhi looks hesitant, and worse, reluctant at times.

Dad handed him the keys to the Porsche and he's a little scared to drive. To be honest, it's a bit worrying. On the other hand, Tim is hesitant and reluctant with shots he makes every game sometimes, so it may not mean anything.

Johnny RIngo
11-06-2013, 01:38 AM
What also has been hurting him is Pop not playing small as much as he did last season.

Which is a GOOD thing. Never been a fan of the smallball era of the Spurs.

Holden_Caulfield
11-06-2013, 01:49 AM
had high hopes for him like everyone did, drafted him in the 3rd round too :lol

Spur|n|Austin
11-06-2013, 02:33 AM
There were a couple flashes of post plays being run through him - ultimately this wasn't the matchup for that to succeed and this season's sample size is too small (which goes for all the other ridiculous gripes).

Ice009
11-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Kawhi needs to get himself going. It's simple, if you're a wing player and can't get to the rack, you can't be a superstar.

He needs to learn how to dribble in traffic and get to the rim. That's what separates him from someone like Paul George. George has a quick first step and can get to the rim. The threat of drawing fouls can add another dimension to his game.

DJR210
11-06-2013, 03:18 AM
inb4 teazee Leonard trade machine scenario tbqh

Chinook
11-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Which is a GOOD thing. Never been a fan of the smallball era of the Spurs.

The gran well need to go small against contenders. They have the second-best combo-forward in the league. This isn't the old Spurs. This team has the size, strength and mobility to run a flex rotation. They should take it to teams by putting Leonard in his natural position. That's one of the big reasons he took off in the playoffs.

KL2
11-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Kawhi needs to get himself going. It's simple, if you can't get to the rack, you can't be a superstar.

He needs to learn how to dribble in traffic and get to the rim. That's what separates him from someone like Paul George. George has a quick first step and can get to the rim. The threat of drawing fouls can add another dimension to his game.

Kawhi isn't George though, I think people should stop making that comparison, they are both built differently physically.

Just like his name, Kawhi is unique.

If you think about it there are only a handful of guys at the SF position in the nba that are 6'7 230 and built like Kawhi, the only guys that are bigger/stronger that I can think of is Artest & LBJ, and Artest is done. Kawhi is a long, big strong dude, that's why we've seen him able to hold his own against PF's like Griffin and Gasol to SF's like LBJ, and rebound with ease.

SA has to take advantage of his size and pure strength and length, run a bunch of post ups for him, get him the ball in the paint, 1 on 1 with his defender, treat him almost like a big man. Because of his large hands he always has complete control of the ball, his strength allows him to post and get in prime position, while his length makes his shot extremely hard to block, perfect combo.

He's too quick for a PF to guard, and generally too strong for SF's as I explained above. Perfect example would be his games against OKC and CHI last year, Ibaka tried and failed as did Durant and Sef. Meanwhile chi had Deng, Gibson, Butler etc. all failing.

Kawhi can be a GREAT player if used properly with his unique skill set, especially if he gets his outside game going which I think he can definitely do.

mookie2001
11-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Kawhi needs to get himself going. It's simple, if you're a wing player and can't get to the rack, you can't be a superstar.

So true so true

kawhi needs a baseline game. Kawhi needs to get to the freethrow line. Sadly It's his third season and he Jess Kent dew thengs like thet

exstatic
11-06-2013, 08:15 AM
38% would be pretty elite, tbh. I'd be happy with anything around 30-34%

??? The last two years, he's shot 37.6% and 37.4% from downtown. Not sure why you'd be happy with only 30-34% when he's shown MUCH better.

MarCowMar
11-06-2013, 09:19 AM
No, they need to continue to mis-utilize him so we can avoid having to max his contract.

Dex
11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Anyone who thinks that one-dribble pull-up is going to disappear from Kawhi's game is probably in for disappointment. That's a move that he has specifically added to his arsenal and is still working to hone. I can't tell you how many practice videos and shoot-a-rounds I've seen where Leonard is specifically working on that move.

Considering people are going to try to run him off the three-point line, it would be a very effective move for him to use. He still has a ways to go from perfecting it, though.

jestersmash
11-06-2013, 04:37 PM
??? The last two years, he's shot 37.6% and 37.4% from downtown. Not sure why you'd be happy with only 30-34% when he's shown MUCH better.

He shot 37% when opposing defenses weren't too focused on him. It's different when you're perceived as somewhat of an offensive threat.

Similarly, I can't see Danny Green replicating his Finals performance.

JR3
11-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I AGREE! he is on my fantasy team so it hurts that much more to see him under-utilized. I'm going to have to drop this fool if this continues.

Captivus
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I have a question:
What are Kiwis strengths?
If we now that, we can talk about how to put him in the position to use them.
So, what are they?

Obstructed_View
11-06-2013, 08:55 PM
His handles have improved to the point that nobody worries about him handling the ball in traffic anymore. I don't think I've ever seen anyone improve as much as he has in that area.

His biggest problem is that he is hesitating. That should fix itself as his confidence improves. How he fights his way through it will be interesting to watch.

He's not a good post player. He scored a few times on good defenders just because of his incredible length. His post moves look pre-planned, rather than taking what the defender gives. I fully expect that to improve as he goes. A kid that works on his game that hard being in the gym with one of the greatest post players will pick it up sooner than later.

wildchild
11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgyj-DcaycA&feature=youtu.be
If the guy could be more confident/consistent all game/ all the games. In a bad night a few of his plays were still awesome, steal on Morris and slam, between the legs crossover and assist to Splitter, fastbreak dunks.

He's not a good post player. He scored a few times on good defenders just because of his incredible length. His post moves look pre-planned, rather than taking what the defender gives. I fully expect that to improve as he goes. A kid that works on his game that hard being in the gym with one of the greatest post players will pick it up sooner than later.

I still think he have the ability to play with his back to the basket, maybe his turnaround jumper is being ineffective like his 3pt shooting but the talent/skills are there.
Just a bad season start and he has to deal with it. Nothing more than that.

Wildcat67
11-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I just want to remind everyone that Kawhi has never played well right off the bat of the season. His rookie year his first 15 games you would of sworn he would never become a solid scorer. His second year after a good playoff run, he looked really out of sorts the first 15 games, getting a lot of charges in fast breaks where he was great at that his rookie year.

But both years he got better and better as the year went on. It's like it takes him a bit to get into a rhythm on the season. That being said he is doing a good job in a lot of ways, and sometimes shots you know he normally makes aren't going in that will go in at some point.

exstatic
11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
He shot 37% when opposing defenses weren't too focused on him. It's different when you're perceived as somewhat of an offensive threat.

Similarly, I can't see Danny Green replicating his Finals performance.

That's the great thing about being a Spur. If they focus on you, someone else hurts them. Kawhi is only taking what they give him. It's not like he's shooting the 3 with a hand in his face. When they give him looks, I fully expect his percentage to be the same.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I've always said that Leonard was too shy for his own good. Parker made it sound like Pop got on his case at halftime and I guess it worked because he played better in the second half. But still, does Leonard know that this is a contract year for him? If he's great this year, he's going to be given a monster extension in the summer. But he's playing passively and unsure of himself to this point.

I don't think Kawhi gets it. He doesn't have to defer to the Big 3 anymore. Pop wants him to be aggressive now. He doesn't care if Kawhi misses shots, he wants him to shoot. But he won't do it. So many times he has space to shoot and he doesn't. It's driving everyone on the team crazy. Parker talked post game and was like "Yeah...I don't know what's up with Kawhi....he wasn't being aggressive in the first half at all. But Pop got on him at halftime."

This is strike one for Kawhi. Let's hope he can turn things around. Because if he doesn't make the leap we all expected him to make this year then there's no hope of getting back to the Finals. Kawhi is the difference maker, but he won't make a difference if he's not more aggressive.

You are saying an awful lot here/making assumptions. There really hasn't been much of an indication of what you are saying here. Stop embellishing.