PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to convince Finley to come here?

G-Nob
07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
I know he doesn't play defense. But with his length and jumping ability, I'm sure we could get him a little bit more active on defense. Of course the Mavs will release him, but will he be willing to take the minimum to play for the champs? For less minutes? I know he'll get competitive offers from Chicago, Phoenix and Denver. The spurs could use his shooting coming off the bench. I've always liked his competitiveness. My only question is, would the addition of Finley take away minutes from Oberto or Horry just in case we can't deal Rasho? I'll assume the starting center in Nazr or Oberto, Rob spotting Tim, Fin resting Bruce, the 12th man is Rasho. If we can't trade Rasho, that is 6.7 million sitting on the bench.

Wallace ²
07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Hopefully not, he really should become a Piston

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
If JJ goes to Atlanta I don't know think there's anything anyone could do to keep him out of Phoenix. They play his style, he'd get plenty of shots, and he's likes Steve Nash, doesn't he?

JUUOT
07-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Spurs and phoenix are the two that can really possibly land him. pros and cons

Phoenix:
+ they play hist type of game
+ he would join old friend nash
+ if they losse JJ they really need his help
- he never made it to the final with his type of game so he might want to try something else
- if they lose JJ they seem a less title ready team than spurs

SPURS
+ if he wants a title more than anything he is right here with SA
+ seeing the 0-defense game did not bring a final to dallas he should want to play for more balanced team
- He would be only third swing and would see limited minutes (20)

i think it is 50/50, it will be a hard batlle to get him. If he comes he could show the door out to barry...

batman2883
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
We could show him pictures of Eva Longoria with Tony Parker and say....."This too can be you"

DDS4
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Well if Big Dog can play here, almost anyone can if he has the right attitude.

JUUOT
07-26-2005, 10:34 AM
i must admit batman recruiting technic is really appealing

batman2883
07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
what can i say, i know it would definitly bring me here

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I've said it before in other treads, but I'll say it again - STAY AWAY FROM FINLEY. Yes, the guy doesn't play D, but the one asset you're looking at - his shooting ability - tends to leave him during the playoffs.

Here in Dallas, Finley has taken much public criticism for his annual "flame outs" during the NBA playoffs - dating back to his horrible performance during the 2003 WCF versus the Spurs.

As for his jumping ability, the guy hardly goes to the rack anymore because severe tendinitis in his knees and overall wear and tear on his body have resulted in a decline in his skills.

I used to be a Finley admirer too. However, what was once a multi-talented, tenacious and gifted player has eroded into basically an inconsistent, streaky and one-dimensioinal jump shooter. Haven't we seen enough of this already?

If it's instant offense we need off the bench - we're much better off resigning Big Dog.

pache100
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Anyway to convince Finley to come here?

I sure hope not. I like a lot of players in the NBA. Michael Finley is not one of them. He is not Spurs material.

I've said it before in other treads, but I'll say it again - STAY AWAY FROM FINLEY.
Yes, the guy doesn't play D, but the one asset you're looking at - his shooting ability - tends to leave him during the playoffs.

Here in Dallas, Finley has taken much public criticism for his annual "flame outs" during the NBA playoffs - dating back to his horrible performance during the 2003 WCF versus the Spurs.

As for his jumping ability, the guy hardly goes to the rack anymore because severe tendinitis in his knees and overall wear and tear on his body have resulted in a decline in his skills. Basically, this guy is an inconsistent, streaky jump shooter. Haven't we seen enough of this already?

THANK YOU! Well said!

If he comes he could show the door out to barry...

That must never be allowed to happen. I would not trade Barry for Finley in a million years.

boutons
07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
"to leave him during the playoffs."

in the last 3 DAL L's to PHX, his points disappeared:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/game_by_game_stats.html

I don't think he fits at all well as a benchwarmer, will get few minutes because he won't know the Spurs defense well enough even if he wants to play defense, and is too streaky to be "instant offense".

angel_luv
07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
What benefits do you find in giving up Brent Barry for Finley?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Buenos Hairys
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
HE NO FROM ARGENTINA HE SUCKS

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 11:10 AM
There are more than financial reasons for which the Mavs are releasing Finley. Trust me, if his skills warranted there's no way the Mavs would release him. The fact is that his skills have declined to a point which they are no longer commensurate with his contract.

As for any hopes of him developing into a better defender - FORGET IT. After 8-9 years in the league - you are what you are. This guy has never focused on the defensive side of the ball and never will - he simply takes open shots at will - a lot of them. That behavior was encouraged under the previous coaching regime, however there's a new sheriff in town.

It's no secret to anyone, here among the D/FW faithful, that Avery is attempting to reshape the Mavs in the Spurs philosophy. Seeing how AJ is a Pop disciple, if Fin is not a match for the new "defense first" philosophy of the Mavs, why on earth would anyone feel as though he's a fit for the Spurs?

angel_luv
07-26-2005, 11:12 AM
An exellent point Senor!

Ballcox
07-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Phoenix can have him. I would love to watch Finley chucking up shot after missed shot in the playoffs as he completely sinks the Suns playoff hopes all by himself.

If we get rid of Barry to get Finley, someone in the Spurs front office needs to have their head examined.

JUUOT
becaus ehe could come for really cheap. finley as a maverick is really expensive but as a spur could cost lle... suddenly it sounds like a better deal.

i am not especially found of the guy but he seems to be in the deal for the last spot at the wing rotation between devin - evans - robinson

pache100
If we get rid of Barry to get Finley, someone in the Spurs front office needs to have their head examined.

I have a lot of respect for the Spurs FO...but I sure agree with that.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Good points Senor, but the Spurs would not be getting him to be a starter. He will be coming off the bench in SA. He may not be the same Finley as years past, but the Spurs dont need him to be that Finley. I think if they cant (or dont want to) resign the Big Dogg, that Finley will be an EXCELLENT backup for Bowen. Again, SA wouldnt need him to be their number 2 guy or anything. For the min. Finley would be a GREAT pickup!

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Who said they would have to get rid of Barry for him?

If Fin signs for the min, then they dont have to get rid of anyone.

pache100
07-26-2005, 12:10 PM
He may not be the same Finley as years past, but the Spurs dont need him to be that Finley.

Find out if they can do a personality transplant and get back with me. That's the only way I'd be interested.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Find out if they can do a personality transplant and get back with me. That's the only way I'd be interested.

Personility transplant?

It seemed to work okay with Big Dogg.

pache100
07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Personility transplant?

It seemed to work okay with Big Dogg.

Big Dog never struck me as eating nails and worms for breakfast. I always saw a nice guy under that rough exterior. I have never seen even a sliver of anything but nastiness in Finley. He's an asshole.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Big Dog never struck me as eating nails and worms for breakfast. I always saw a nice guy under that rough exterior. I have never seen even a sliver of anything but nastiness in Finley. He's an asshole.

How is he an asshole?

sickdsm
07-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Finley at this stage is sprewell at his stage but with his head on straighter.

Chicago will likely get him IMO for 2-3 mill/per.

Marcus Bryant
07-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, come on. He can't turn down the opportunity to play in Austin...

sickdsm
07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Sprewell probably wouldn't like playing for such a huge city at this point in his career either. Being he's from the small town of Milwaukee and all.

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Good points Senor, but the Spurs would not be getting him to be a starter. He will be coming off the bench in SA. He may not be the same Finley as years past, but the Spurs dont need him to be that Finley. I think if they cant (or dont want to) resign the Big Dogg, that Finley will be an EXCELLENT backup for Bowen. Again, SA wouldnt need him to be their number 2 guy or anything. For the min. Finley would be a GREAT pickup!

Dre,
I totally understand we're talking about Fin as a backup and I wrote my comments with that in mind. However, that doesn't change anything. Hell, he's unwilling to "come off the bench" for the Mavs. Besides all that, this guy simply is too streaky of a shooter for that role.

Hell, I'll take my chances with Devin (who can attack the rim, play defense and whose all-around game is SOOOOOO much better) or Big Dog.

As has been told to me by several Mavs fans, Finley likes to think of himself as a "clutch shooter" but he's not. I've seen enough of him over the years to concur.

pache100
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
How is he an asshole?

Everything about him screams asshole to me. It's my opinion of him. You may see him differently. But, that's my call. I'm sure there are people you don't like that I do. It's ok to disagree.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Dre,
I totally understand we're talking about Fin as a backup and I wrote my comments with that in mind. However, that doesn't change anything. Hell, he's unwilling to "come off the bench" for the Mavs. Besides all that, this guy simply is too streaky of a shooter for that role.

Right, I agree, he would have to be willing to come off the bench, like GRob did.

Hell, I'll take my chances with Devin (who can attack the rim, play defense and whose all-around game is SOOOOOO much better) or Big Dog.

Yeah, me too. Thats why I would only want him if they couldnt resign Big Dogg. Personally, I really want the Big Dogg back!

G-Nob
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
the mavs will pay him 52 mill to leave. The spurs would only have to pay him a mil(should he decides he wants to win more) Sounds like a small sacrifice to see if it can work. Avery would keep him if it was up to him, but the mavs won't pay 100 mil for 15ppg. I know it would make Dallas so crazy if Fin came here and prospered.

ducks
07-26-2005, 12:59 PM
finely>>>>>>>>spree

boutons
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I hope Michael goes somewhere he can start.
He won't get much PT @Spurs, even if he wants to play defense, even if he can.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
If we're going to lose Devin Brown Finley might be worth asking about, even then I have my doubts about him working here.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Finley at this stage is sprewell at his stage but with his head on straighter.

Chicago will likely get him IMO for 2-3 mill/per.

His agent has already said that, though he might consider Chicago, he wants to win a title and will consider the front running teams first.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Everything about him screams asshole to me. It's my opinion of him. You may see him differently. But, that's my call. I'm sure there are people you don't like that I do. It's ok to disagree.

Okay, well you can have that oppinion. But that doesnt make him an asshole. If he wants to play in SA it can work. Just like it worked with the Dogg.

waly.mg
07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull26.html

Finley might be available

July 26, 2005

BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter Advertisement

Henry Thomas, the agent for Dallas Mavericks swingman Michael Finley, believes Bulls operations chief John Paxson will be among many NBA executives pursuing Finley if the Mavs -- as expected -- release Finley as part of the amnesty provision in the new collective bargaining agreement.

The provision benefits teams over the salary cap because they can release a player, pay his full contract and avoid the penalty of paying a dollar for every dollar they're over the cap. That means Dallas will pay Finley $51 million for the remaining three years of his contract.

The Bulls then would hope that since Finley will be getting paid by Dallas, the Melrose Park native and former Proviso East star would be eager to play for his hometown team for about $2 million. That figures to be what the Bulls will have remaining from their mid-level exception after signing Chris Duhon.

''Chicago certainly would be one of the teams he'd consider because it's his home,'' said Thomas, who in past years downplayed annual trade scenarios featuring Finley coming to the Bulls. ''As for him actually ending up playing for the Bulls, anything is possible.

''But his first desire would be to get with a team that would help him win a championship ring. He's never won one, never even played in the Finals. And everybody knows that he can help any team in this league. He's coming along real well in his rehab [after right ankle surgery]. So he hasn't even started thinking about where else he might play because he hasn't been released yet.''

As for the Bulls re-signing Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler, Philadelphia's fourth-year center Samuel Dalembert may have set the market by agreeing to a six-year deal with the 76ers reportedly worth at least $50 million.

Curry and Chandler are restricted free agents, which means the Bulls can match any offers they receive from other teams.

Curry and Chandler also can thank Dalembert for removing himself from competition with the Atlanta Hawks, whom he was scheduled to visit Monday before changing his mind and deciding to stay put. The Hawks had enough cap room to offer a five-year, $70 million deal and were said to be very interested in Dalembert.

Curry already has visited the Hawks.

From a numbers standpoint, Curry, 22, and Chandler, 22, are younger and have been more productive than Dalembert, 25. Dalembert averaged 8.2 points and 7.5 rebounds last season. He missed the entire 2002-03 season with injuries.

Curry averaged 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds last season before being sidelined March 30 for the rest of the season with an irregular heartbeat. Chandler averaged eight points and 9.7 rebounds.

''This certainly should give Curry and Chandler some leverage,'' one league source said. ''But market value is determined by more than just the numbers you put down one season. Especially if it's a contract year. A team takes into consideration a player's work habits, his professional attitude, health, his age, what he projects for the future and how he meets a particular need for them.

''There is no doubt that Curry's health issues will cost him millions of dollars, maybe even tens of millions because teams have to be sure that he can perform and won't have his career, not to mention his life, cut short by his heart problem being worse than what people think and getting even worse as he continues playing. It's very unfortunate. But that's the business side of the game. While Chandler is healthier, he needs to develop a shot and a post-up game. But Chandler's numbers still were better than Dalembert's.''

NOTE: The Bulls reportedly have expressed interest in Charlotte Bobcats restricted free agent Malik Allen. The 6-10 forward split his time between Miami and Charlotte last season and averaged 5.4 points and 2.8 rebounds.

Horry For 3!
07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Spurs won't get Finley.

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
His agent has already said that, though he might consider Chicago, he wants to win a title and will consider the front running teams first.

Let me take his ass to Phx. Nash has already stated that he'd welcome Fin to the team.

yavozerb
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Let me ask you people something?? If devin didnt play for the spurs and didnt grow up in SA would you want him?? I can already picture all the messages pertaining to his bad back and how much he contributed to the spurs championship, I think the answer would be HELL NO!! I like devin also but comparing him to Finley is just stupid, Finley is a very good NBA player (used to be all star) and Devin is simply a good guy who works hard like MALIK ROSE( remember how he turned out)

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Let me ask you people something?? If devin didnt play for the spurs and didnt grow up in SA would you want him?? I can already picture all the messages pertaining to his bad back and how much he contributed to the spurs championship, I think the answer would be HELL NO!! I like devin also but comparing him to Finley is just stupid, Finley is a very good NBA player (used to be all star) and Devin is simply a good guy who works hard like MALIK ROSE( remember how he turned out)

It's about CONTRIBUTION. I don't give a shit about Finley's resume. I've already stated the reasons for Finley's decline.

The fact is Devin is a better all-around player than Finley. At this point in both their careers, he's also a better shooter. Devin has been a scorer all his life that is blossoming into a bonafide NBA player - and is younger, stronger and quicker than Finley - no matter where he grew up.

yavozerb
07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
If it came down to one of these 2 players handling the ball or shooting the ball who would you rather have?? my money is on Finley cause he's done it before. There is no way devin is a better shooter than finley!!

TheTruth
07-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Sign D.Brown and the Dog before you even think about Finley's ass.

CaptainLate
07-26-2005, 06:13 PM
If he comes he could show the door out to barry...

Then forget him. Take this to the bank: "Bones" is going to be much more valuable to us in his 2nd year than Finley ever will be. I believe Barry's play in Game 7 showed me (and Pop) something that can be used in '05-06.

CaptainLate
07-26-2005, 06:16 PM
i am not especially found of (Finley) but he seems to be in the deal for the last spot at the wing rotation between devin - evans - robinson

Is Evans a lock? All I've heard is rumors we were interested.

yavozerb
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
If finley comes who do u think is going to running the point behind TP? I'll tell you who it will Barry who will back up TP and Beno will be the third PG..People you forget that Barry can play the 1 or 2 and Finley can play the 2 or 3. Yall have to let devin go like you did malik to keep contending with the best teams in the NBA..Finley would get about 20 minutes a game and guranteed 10-12 ppg...The guy is a solid athlete, better athlete than the big dog!!!

Duff McCartney
07-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Keep that trash head away from San Antonio. The guy is nothing..he doesn't even want to give up the leadership of the team to somebody who is twice as good as he is.

He's in denial about his declining talents. Plain and simple.

SenorSpur
07-26-2005, 10:03 PM
If finley comes who do u think is going to running the point behind TP? I'll tell you who it will Barry who will back up TP and Beno will be the third PG..People you forget that Barry can play the 1 or 2 and Finley can play the 2 or 3. Yall have to let devin go like you did malik to keep contending with the best teams in the NBA..Finley would get about 20 minutes a game and guranteed 10-12 ppg...The guy is a solid athlete, better athlete than the big dog!!!

You're obviously thinking about the Finley of several years ago. Like everyone else, I remember when he came into the league. The guy could jump out of the gym, had crazy athleticism,could rebound from the guard spot and could get to the rack and score at will. I'm afraid those days are long gone. While he continues taking volume shots, his declining skills have limited him to becoming a one-dimensional jump shooter.

I live in Dallas and watch my share of Mavs games. I'm telling you his knees are shot. He can't get to the rack, doesn't rebound, is unable to create his own shot and can't consistently hit his jumper. Besides that, he is both unwilling and unable to play defense.

If you don't believe me, take a look at his numbers over the past 3 seasons:

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
02-03 DAL 69 69 38.3 .425 .370 .861 1.6 4.3 5.8 3.0 1.10 .30 1.65 1.50 19.3
03-04 DAL 72 72 38.6 .443 .405 .850 1.1 3.4 4.5 2.9 1.17 .54 1.15 1.60 18.6
04-05 DAL 64 64 36.8 .427 .407 .831 .7 3.4 4.1 2.6 .75 .28 .94 1.90 15.7

This is from a starter who has averaged over 35 mins a game over that span and still considers himself a marquee player. I'm not trying to dog the guy out, but he's not a good fit for this team.