PDA

View Full Version : RIP in Piece Blockbuster

Trainwreck2100
11-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Fought long and hard but is dead for good now. Last few stores will shutter in december
:(

Trainwreck2100
11-07-2013, 05:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

cantthinkofanything
11-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Painful to see. Have a BB just down the road and they give some great deals. I get that the model is failing but I like being able to walk the store and see all the movies in a few minutes. It's actually easier than the internets.

lebomb
11-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Yep, I miss the days of walking in to BB and reading the movie boxes. :depressed

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 09:13 AM
So how the hell do we rent movies now? What is it's replacement? The internet? What if you don't have the internet, or don't want to watch a movie on your small computer?

Spur-Addict
11-07-2013, 09:24 AM
:cry

I. Hustle
11-07-2013, 09:25 AM
BB can suck a cawk. Good riddance

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 09:38 AM
BB can suck a cawk. Good riddance

How do you rent movies?

Darth_Pelican
11-07-2013, 10:03 AM
How do you rent movies?

Redbox. They are located nearly everywhere and much cheaper than BB was.

Spur|n|Austin
11-07-2013, 10:22 AM
So how the hell do we rent movies now? What is it's replacement? The internet? What if you don't have the internet, or don't want to watch a movie on your small computer?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/jim-halpert-shock-reaction-listening.gif

IceColdBrewski
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM

You been living in a cave or something? How the f could you not know about redbox? What did you think those big red machines outside of just about every Valero in town were for?

You also do know that you can watch a movie on your tv through your computer with this little thing called an HDMI cable right?

Blake
11-07-2013, 10:45 AM
The internet? What if you don't have the internet

How are you posting here?

monosylab1k
11-07-2013, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JmZ9ADhYg

Blake
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
In some ways I'll miss them, but I still have a bad taste from the years of late fee gouging, so fuck them.

bigzak25
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I remember when they first released ET on video cassette. Everybody bought a copy at blockbuster!

resistanze
11-07-2013, 10:56 AM

:rollin

mrsmaalox
11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
It was nicer to get to take your time browsing the shelves at BB than to scroll thru the screens at Redbox with a line of impatient motherfuckers behind you sighing and tapping their feet.

cantthinkofanything
11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
In some ways I'll miss them, but I still have a bad taste from the years of late fee gouging, so fuck them.

Late fee "gouging"...you signed off on the policy but now you complain because you can't watch the movie in time because you're getting fucked in the ass by some blue-gummed queer.

Blake
11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
It was nicer to get to take your time browsing the shelves at BB than to scroll thru the screens at Redbox with a line of impatient motherfuckers behind you sighing and tapping their feet.

On top of that, the Redbox selections suck ass.

hehateme
11-07-2013, 11:05 AM
On top of that, the Redbox selections suck ass.

That's a good answer. I tried finding the original Carrie so my wife could watch it (as she's never seen the original) but it wasn't playing on TV during Halloween or at a Redbox during the same timeframe. Simple solution was to drive to BB and rent it which worked. I suppose for the older movies the store solution is and was the best but there probably isn't much demand for that.

Blake
11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Late fee "gouging"...you signed off on the policy but now you complain because you can't watch the movie in time because you're getting fucked in the ass by some blue-gummed queer.

Yes, I'm aware I signed off to let BB fuck me in the ass if I returned their movie late.

I think I might have preferred them to just break my leg.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2013, 11:10 AM
shuur down means u can find really good bargains for stock clearance...

bigzak25
11-07-2013, 11:10 AM
the only redbox complaint i have is that sometimes people are on their cellphone talking to someone telling them what movies are available. that's ridiculous.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
I've never used Redbox, tbh, I always see it, but never even thought of using it, is it worth it?..

Downloading/streaming a movie is just too convenient, tbh..

I miss the smell of Blockbuster, tbh, shit was nice:lol..I also miss the days of being a 12-year old scumbag and stealing BB cards to get free games, tbh:lmao..

Darth_Pelican
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
That's a good answer. I tried finding the original Carrie so my wife could watch it (as she's never seen the original) but it wasn't playing on TV during Halloween or at a Redbox during the same timeframe. Simple solution was to drive to BB and rent it which worked. I suppose for the older movies the store solution is and was the best but there probably isn't much demand for that.

Most libraries have thousands of old movies that you can check out free of charge. You can give that a try.

CubanMustGo
11-07-2013, 12:17 PM
According to something posted elsewhere this AM, there are more Blockbusters today in San Antonio than in 40 states combined Yep, that SA is a tech-savvy town. :lol

See http://qz.com/144386/map-of-blockbuster-holdouts-reveals-one-city-with-more-stores-than-40-states-combined/

bigzak25
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Well i pass by the one on jacksonkeller and west avenue quite a bit. the sign says 99cents for 5 day rentals so that's not a bad deal. but i haven't been in there in years.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
the only redbox complaint i have is that sometimes people are on their cellphone talking to someone telling them what movies are available. that's ridiculous.

I've seen them at Valeros and CVS, but there is always long lines. If it's raining or cold, or extremely hot, it is an inconvenience. Or do you like sweating, freezing, and getting soaked while renting a movie? I don't.

Cool2LOVE
11-07-2013, 12:55 PM
are you in san antonio? the weather is badass right now...cool, clear, awesome.

Blake
11-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I've seen them at Valeros and CVS, but there is always long lines. If it's raining or cold, or extremely hot, it is an inconvenience. Or do you like sweating, freezing, and getting soaked while renting a movie? I don't.

:cry i can't rent a movie because i might get hot :cry

Blake
11-07-2013, 12:56 PM

:cry too sunny i might get a sunburn :cry

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah, love it.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
:cry too sunny i might get a sunburn :cry

So which Blake is this, #4 Blake, #2, or #3?
I like to know which you are when I converse with you.
Only Blake #1 is the cool intelligent Blake.

jag
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM

:lol 2008 called...

TV's can access the world wide interwebs now. Even if yours can't, just use your cable OnDemand. If you have an internet TV, just link it to a Netflix account, Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, etc... Samsung and Sony also have their own stores via their TV media interface. I sometimes rent my movies directly from Samsung. You can also link to Google Play. It kind of sucks if you have slow internet...but such is life.

I got lucky with our internet options where I live. In Chattanooga we have a company (EPB) that provides the fastest internet in the US. EPB Fiber Optic gigabit service (https://www.epb.net/news/news-archive/chattanooga-announces-only-1-gigabit-broadband-service-in-u-s-for-residential-and-business-customers/) is like $70/month. Streaming bluray with no buffering beats the hell out of Blockbuster.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 01:08 PM
:lol 2008 called...

TV's can access the world wide interwebs now. Even if yours can't, just use your cable OnDemand. If you have an internet TV, just link it to a Netflix account, Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, etc... Samsung and Sony also have their own stores via their TV media interface. I sometimes rent my movies directly from Samsung. You can also link to Google Play. It kind of sucks if you have slow internet...but such is life.

I got lucky with our internet options where I live. In Chattanooga we have a company (EPB) that provides the fastest internet in the US. EPB Fiber Optic gigabit service (https://www.epb.net/news/news-archive/chattanooga-announces-only-1-gigabit-broadband-service-in-u-s-for-residential-and-business-customers/) is like $70/month. Streaming bluray with no buffering beats the hell out of Blockbuster.

Thanks, I have Clear Wire Ethernet.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Rest in peace in piece?????

:lol just get the app. You can reserve it then get in line and be a tapping mofo

Blake
11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
So which Blake is this, #4 Blake, #2, or #3?
I like to know which you are when I converse with you.
Only Blake #1 is the cool intelligent Blake.

:cry it's raining Blakes :cry

JudynTX
11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Remember when you had to use a major credit card to open a membership? :lol And how many of you stole some movies from there? :lol

IceColdBrewski
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Know what you want beforehand dammit. Use either the website or the phone app and reserve that shit before you get there. Then all you have to do is step up and swipe your card, and our movies pop right out. If it's a spur of the moment type of thing, 5 minutes. 5 minutes is all you get to browse if someone is behind you. After that, they're legally authorized to kick you in the leg behind the knee.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Know what you want beforehand dammit. Use either the website or the phone app and reserve that shit before you get there. Then all you have to do is step up and swipe your card, and our movies pop right out. If it's a spur of the moment type of thing, 5 minutes. 5 minutes is all you get to browse if someone is behind you. After that, they're legally authorized to kick you in the leg behind the knee.

:lmao

Going to be a lot of kicking going on.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-07-2013, 01:49 PM
The death of a titan, tbh. There's no replacing the comedic value of seeing the cassette cover of some softcore Skinemax feature with a name like Passion's Escape or some shit shelved next to Philadelphia because they are both "dramas".

NASpurs
11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I miss the smell of Blockbuster, tbh, shit was nice:lol

I thought I was weird for liking the smell of that place. Good to see I wasn't the only one. :lol

SpursWoman
11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I obviously did not read all of the replies before I posted ... so, there's that.

They have an app for your phone ... you can browse, reserve ... then have until like 9:00pm to go pick it up.

It helps if you're looking for a particular movie, too ... it will tell you which box has it and you can reserve it right away. :)

But I don't like watching movies on my computer ... I'd rather watch them on the couch with DH. :makeout

Robz4000
11-07-2013, 02:06 PM
RIP. Another part of my childhood killed by the internet.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I wish the internet would kill Reality TV.

RD2191
11-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Remember walking 4-5 blocks in the rain to rent Need for Speed Underground.:lol Would surf BB for hours talking shit and laughing and eating candy. :lol The good ol days.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Hell, I remember riding the bus downtown to the Texas theater on Houston St. to see A Hard Days Night. Soon theaters will be dinosaurs like drive-ins are now.

Blake
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Soon theaters will be dinosaurs like drive-ins are now.

They were saying that thirty years ago when VCRs came out.

symple19
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Lol watching on your computer. HDMI to the TV...

And I haven't seen a blockbuster since the last time I was in Bama 3 years ago :lol Did time just stop in SA or something?

When I lived in Lexington, there was an amazing local place where I could browse. They had an awesome selection of obscure and B movies, as well as helpful movie nerd employee types who knew everything about everything. There's usually at least one place like that in every sizable city I've lived in, tbh

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Blockbuster has it's competition here as well.

mrsmaalox
11-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Yea I've done the reserving online for Redbox, but a lot of times I've just passed by one and decided right then I am in the mood for a movie. Without a doubt I'll be browsing along when 10 others get the same the urge.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 04:25 PM
No doubt they will raise their prices without completion.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I've never used Redbox, tbh, I always see it, but never even thought of using it, is it worth it?..

Downloading/streaming a movie is just too convenient, tbh..

I miss the smell of Blockbuster, tbh, shit was nice:lol..I also miss the days of being a 12-year old scumbag and stealing BB cards to get free games, tbh:lmao..
word... it did have a nice smell.

Darius McCrary
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I will always miss doing that too.

Something about the experience that is already lost on younger generations

The episode of South Park where Stan's dad buys a BB is very fitting.

The Gemini Method
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I got a Redbox with a paper faux disc in it recently--though they gave me a handful of free rentals, I still had a defective disc on one of those free rentals--now I have like 5 free rentals but I never had as much problems with Hollywood and BB as I have had with Redbox. That's why I just do online!

cantthinkofanything
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Yea I've done the reserving online for Redbox, but a lot of times I've just passed by one and decided right then I am in the mood for a movie. Without a doubt I'll be browsing along when 10 others get the same the urge.

that's so hot

Creepn
11-07-2013, 05:19 PM

I'm one of those impatient muthas. I normally just say, "Hey, I just wanna turn this in if you don't mind?" Haven't been denied yet. Having a gun under your belt helps too.

DJR210
11-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Not entirely dead, Blockbuster will live on through it's online service under Dish Network's ownership. But yeah, RIP stores.

Many good memories of Blockbuster TBH. Always go on a Monday or Tuesday to get the best SNES games. If I was there and couldn't rent a game I saw at that time, I would take that shit to the opposite side of the store and hide it behind some old ass movie I knew nobody would be renting before my next visit to the store. I remember watching the worker open Street Fighter II Turbo and being the first one to rent it before he could he even take them to the shelf. I had that shit fine tuned to an art form.

Trill Clinton
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
blockbuster was the shithttp://i41.tinypic.com/2hwhh6b.png

but its torrents or nothing nowadayshttp://i42.tinypic.com/307neyu.png

DJR210
11-07-2013, 05:49 PM
blockbuster was the shithttp://i41.tinypic.com/2hwhh6b.png

but its torrents or nothing nowadayshttp://i42.tinypic.com/307neyu.png

Downloading torrents "is a sign of brokeness", eh Trill?

Anyways, this. External HDD full of Blu-Ray quality movies, FTW.

Frank Dux
11-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I remember back in the day when there were two Blockbusters right across the street from each other on West Ave over by Churchill. We were living the high life back then.

#prayers4blockbuster

DJR210
11-07-2013, 05:58 PM
LMAO #prayersforblockbuster

FkLA
11-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I was a Hollywood Video guy growing up but same concept so RIP to BB. :cry

Trill Clinton
11-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Downloading torrents "is a sign of brokeness", eh Trill?

bruh, get over it. don't worry about how a person spends their money. simple as that.

DJR210
11-07-2013, 06:31 PM
bruh, get over it. don't worry about how a person spends their money. simple as that.

Don't worry about what a person worries about is more like it, bruh.

leemajors
11-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Hell, I remember riding the bus downtown to the Texas theater on Houston St. to see A Hard Days Night. Soon theaters will be dinosaurs like drive-ins are now.

Aww, they won't be able to markup popcorn and sodas 1000-3000% anymore :depressed

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Not entirely dead, Blockbuster will live on through it's online service under Dish Network's ownership. But yeah, RIP stores.

Many good memories of Blockbuster TBH. Always go on a Monday or Tuesday to get the best SNES games. If I was there and couldn't rent a game I saw at that time, I would take that shit to the opposite side of the store and hide it behind some old ass movie I knew nobody would be renting before my next visit to the store. I remember watching the worker open Street Fighter II Turbo and being the first one to rent it before he could he even take them to the shelf. I had that shit fine tuned to an art form.

:lmao, I forgot about this, tbh..

Used to do it all the time, but it was the shittiest feeling when it was done to you, tbh..asking the front desk if they have the game available and they confirm, then you had to look for it everywhere..

lefty
11-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Lol all the BB and other rental stores in my area closed like 2 years ago.

I missed out on clearance mega sales :cry

DJR210
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
:lmao, I forgot about this, tbh..

Used to do it all the time, but it was the shittiest feeling when it was done to you, tbh..asking the front desk if they have the game available and they confirm, then you had to look for it everywhere..

Yep, super fucking annoying. Don't forget the strategy of having the worker check the dropbox in the front to make sure there wasn't a copy of the game sitting there waiting to change renters hands.

DJR210
11-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Aww, they won't be able to markup popcorn and sodas 1000-3000% anymore :depressed

Best damn 8.00 bag of popcorn I ever had tbqh.

resistanze
11-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Lol all the BB and other rental stores in my area closed like 2 years ago.

I missed out on clearance mega sales :cry

lol I got 5 movies for like $20, and Killzone 3 for $20 (when it was new).

lefty
11-07-2013, 10:47 PM
lol I got 5 movies for like $20, and Killzone 3 for $20 (when it was new).
Well i did get a few movies, but missed out on games

crc21209
11-08-2013, 02:18 AM
My BB here in my town is having their liquidation sale start next Friday. Time to go see what kind of deals I can find. :tu

Jacob1983
11-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Time to get some cheap ass used DVDs and video games.

IronMexican
11-08-2013, 08:57 AM
I remember it was cool once you finally got to the register and they would always have some cool ass toys that you wanted your parents to get you. Sometimes Pokemon plush dolls or some DBZ stuff.

CubanMustGo
11-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I remember it was cool once you finally got to the register and they would always have some way overpriced cool ass toys that you wanted your parents to get you. Sometimes Pokemon plush dolls or some DBZ stuff.

fify

leemajors
11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
lol physical media