PDA

View Full Version : Best player today.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Okay, so I was having a disscusion with my friend about who was the best player in the NBA today. I happen to think it is TD. Now just listen for a minute before you all get on my back. Understand what I mean by "best player."

I am not talking about the most talented player, or the player with the most athletism or skill. I am talking about the best ALL AROUND player. The player with the best combination of offense, defense, passing ability, making teammates better, talent, skill, decision making, etc etc. Based on that, I stand by my belief that Tim Duncan is the best all around player in the NBA today. What do you think? Agree? Dissagree? Who do you think is the best all around player in the NBA today?

Guru of Nothing
07-26-2005, 01:09 PM
This guy is better:

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/story_image/week5_ditkacigar.jpg

tempest186
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
This guy is the best player I have ever seen.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/57/3a/390513-resized200.JPG

Guru of Nothing
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
fixed.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/57/3a/390513-resized200.JPG

tempest186
07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks

themvp
07-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Agree, Timmy is the best.

MajicMan
07-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Nash. What he lacks in defense he makes up for by making the players around him better.

batman2883
07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Tim Duncan

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Nash. What he lacks in defense he makes up for by making the players around him better.

Nash is the best player in the NBA today???????

Wow, share some of that weed!! :lol :smokin

Nah, JK. But, you really think Nash is the best player?? I highly doubt it!

FoxMulder
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
No doubt... Tim Duncan.

samikeyp
07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Duncan.

Horry For 3!
07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Overrall skills, i'd probably have to say Lebron James. But Overall skills with titles, Tim Duncan.

ambchang
07-26-2005, 02:53 PM
umm ... isn't asking this question no a Spurs board biased?
BTW, Duncan is the best, no question.

Spurologist
07-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Dre 7 is trying to get TD some love. Here's it is.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/duncan_parker_300.jpghttp://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spurslakersgame5/images/13.jpg

As far as ALL AROUND player TD is the obvious answer. I yhink Lebron will be in a couple of years.

2centsworth
07-26-2005, 02:55 PM
When all players are at their best, Timmy!

ALVAREZ6
07-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Lebron or Kobe, possibly T-Mac.

King
07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
When all players are at their best, Timmy!

When all the players are at their best, I'd say Grant Hill. Too bad that hasn't been for about six years.

drivanroca
07-26-2005, 06:41 PM
TD and MG

TheDude
07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
bron bitch.

Pistons < Spurs
07-26-2005, 07:00 PM
3 way tie:

LeBron,Kobe,Garnett

Chris
07-26-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd have to go with Ostertag

Sense
07-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Lebron or Kobe, possibly T-Mac.

:lol

Lebron,Kobe, and T-Mac are like the Michelle Wies of the NBA.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Kobe????

I said players that make their teammates better. Not players that run their teammates out of town. No doubt Kobe has all the talent, but he needs to be a better teammate, ala MJ. Thats why I wouldnt put Kobe up there.

ShoogarBear
07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
That's completely absurd, but it's still funny.

Dex
07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Lebron plays defense, but not well. If he can play both sides of the court and manage to win something doing it, then he'll have a good chance at it within a couple of years. Right now, flashy dunks and an arcing jumpshot don't make him an all-around player.

Kobe plays like he's stuck in a game of Ones, and T-Mac only plays well when he feels like it, so they put themselves out of the picture.

I'm going to stick with the general consensus of Tim Duncan. He is the most complete package the league has to offer in this day and age, and anybody who tries to argue that he doesn't at least deserve consideration is obviously a homer for some other team.

Oh, and those three titles and three Finals MVPs make a pretty damn good backup arguement, too.

Sense
07-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Kobe if not Duncan

Ok, it's official.. you don't know your basketball.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Thats laughable. His defense on Tony is one of the main reasons the Spurs dispatched them so easy.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Have you ever seen Kobe play Common? He is definately a top 3-5 player.

SenorSpur
07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Boy, don't we all sound like homers. While KG is right there too - at least statistically anyway - there's no arguing against Timmy D on this one. The hardware proves it.

saspursfan4life
07-27-2005, 02:50 AM
i'd have to say tim duncan as well

migs21
07-27-2005, 03:46 AM
TD is the best!!!

Sense
07-27-2005, 05:13 AM
Wtf are u talking about? I guarantee I know more than you do. Ive watched since I was eight years old. I think Duncan is the best in the game. Besides him, I would take Kobe. He is by far the most talented in the League. Last year was a fluke. However Duncan is still my guy and will be for another 5 years.

That's laughable.. :lol

Duncan21
07-27-2005, 05:54 AM
its gotta be duncan

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Have you ever seen Kobe play Common? He is definately a top 3-5 player.

If you take 50 attempts per game you always will look like a out-of-the-planet superstar... plus heīs still doesnīt won without Shaq...

Heīs got a lot of things to prove yet... including if he can carry a team the way Tim Duncan does... and earn some respect from and to your rivals and teammates...

Something similar happens with T-Mac and Lebron. They must win some rings and carry a team. They didnīt yet... Lebron seems to has a better future... but everything is still a maybe...

Forget about the MVP stuff, every year seems to be made for the media.

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 08:46 AM
If you take 50 attempts per game you always will look like a out-of-the-planet superstar... plus heīs still doesnīt won without Shaq...

Heīs got a lot of things to prove yet... including if he can carry a team the way Tim Duncan does... and earn some respect from and to your rivals and teammates...

Something similar happens with T-Mac and Lebron. They must win some rings and carry a team. They didnīt yet... Lebron seems to has a better future... but everything is still a maybe...

Forget about the MVP stuff, every year seems to be made for the media.

See? Arguments like this I don't get. Why do people insist that one player makes a team successful and not factor in the fact that a good team makes a good player great?

Although I agree that Tim Duncan is prolly the best player in the NBA right now, how can you so easily discount guys like KG, Kobe, etc? If you don't have great role players around you and great team-mates---unless your MJ, you're not going to win shit.

Look at Tim Duncan's major choke job in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. If Horry wasn't on the team, Duncan wouldn't have gotten that 3rd MVP probably.

Bottom line, while guys like Tim Duncan and Shaq and even Nash are great players, no way would they have won so many rings or MVP's if it weren't for the quality team-mates and great role players that surround them. Players like Kobe (well, last season at least), KG, and AI don't have that.

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
I agree with you with KG, Lebron and T-Mac (They never had a good team around) and AI (and donīt forget he almost alone carried his team to the Finals when they were defeated by the Lakers)

But what happened with Kobe in 2004? he was surrounded by...
Shaq
Malone
the Glove
Fisher
and even players like Jannero Pargo, Byron Russell and Devean George... (who made his part)

If this isnīt a good team
and coached by someone called Phil Jax...

Kobe was outscored by Tyshaun Prince... and never pass the ball to... nobody...

Ask Phil Jackson why they didnīt win that ring, and he willl give you just one reason... Kobe...

Maybe he became a lot humble this year... let us see...

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 09:05 AM
I agree with you with KG, Lebron and T-Mac (They never had a good team around) and and AI (and donīt forget he almost alone carry his team to the Finals when they were defeated by the Lakers)

But what happened with Kobe in 2004? he was surrounded by...
Shaq
Malone
the Glove
Fisher
and even players like Jannero Pargo, Byron Russell and Devean George...

If this isnīt a good team
and coached by someone called Phil Jax...

Ask Phil Jackson why they didnīt win that ring, and he willl give you just one reason... Kobe...

Maybe he became a lot humble this year... let us see...

What was Shaq's excuse? He was getting OWNED by Ben Wallace out there. What was Peyton's excuse? Billups owned his ass! If it weren't for Kobe's miracle shot in Game 3 (?)........Lakers would have gotten swept! I just find it funny that a team that had 3 future HOF's and a HOF coach......you call out Kobe for them losing.

i KNOW Kobe's a jackass for what he did off the court with adultry and everything, BUT i think many people let that cloud their judgement of what he has done in the span of his career on the court. Last year was a fluke, he had no real team and was injured for 6 weeks, but still managed to put up Kobe like numbers....all I'm saying is reserve judgement till at least next season when he has a somewhat decent lineup around him and an actual coach again.

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 09:06 AM
See? Arguments like this I don't get. Why do people insist that one player makes a team successful and not factor in the fact that a good team makes a good player great?

Although I agree that Tim Duncan is prolly the best player in the NBA right now, how can you so easily discount guys like KG, Kobe, etc? If you don't have great role players around you and great team-mates---unless your MJ, you're not going to win shit.

Look at Tim Duncan's major choke job in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. If Horry wasn't on the team, Duncan wouldn't have gotten that 3rd MVP probably.

Bottom line, while guys like Tim Duncan and Shaq and even Nash are great players, no way would they have won so many rings or MVP's if it weren't for the quality team-mates and great role players that surround them. Players like Kobe (well, last season at least), KG, and AI don't have that.

Thank you, I was thinking that the whole time I was reading this forum. People talk down on KG for not getting his team to the playoffs. He finally had a team around him last year and made it to the WCF. This year Spreewell lost not one step but like 3 steps and was worried about feeding his kids. Sam Cassell, if not old and injured, was the Sam Cassell of old and playing for himself as a PG. The rest of the lineup was the oft-injured Wally and may I say Olowo-freaking-kandi. You stick him in on the Spurs roster for Duncan, and they still probably make it to the finals. I don't think they would still win, but to discount him is crazy. Another thing is that if Shaq and D-Wade don't get hurt, then they make it to the Finals and have a good shot at winning it, I think. Lets not forget that Shaq was second in the MVP voting and did turn Miami into a first or second round team to a Finals contender.

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 09:06 AM

Would that be the same Phil Jackson who writes a tell all book about the Lakers lockerroom drama and bitches about Kobe, then agrees to a million dollar deal to come back and coach that same "bitch"?

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 09:10 AM
What was Shaq's excuse? He was getting OWNED by Ben Wallace out there. What was Peyton's excuse? Billups owned his ass! If it weren't for Kobe's miracle shot in Game 3 (?)........Lakers would have gotten swept! I just find it funny that a team that had 3 future HOF's and a HOF coach......you call out Kobe for them losing.

i KNOW Kobe's a jackass for what he did off the court with adultry and everything, BUT i think many people let that cloud their judgement of what he has done in the span of his career on the court. Last year was a fluke, he had no real team and was injured for 6 weeks, but still managed to put up Kobe like numbers....all I'm saying is reserve judgement till at least next season when he has a somewhat decent lineup around him and an actual coach again.

Shaq excuse was "Iīve never got the ball in my hands" :)

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Shaq excuse was "Iīve never got the ball in my hands" :)

Well then he should try touching his crotch.....oh wait, never mind.

sorry, that was crude. Can you tell I'm not a Shaq fan? :lol

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Iīm not Kobe or Shaq fan... they are both too much cocky...
But both are great players...
... not the best... but superstars and great players...

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Well then he should try touching his crotch.....oh wait, never mind.

sorry, that was crude. Can you tell I'm not a Shaq fan? :lol

pache100
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

AMEN!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ambchang
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Are you kidding me? MJ didn't win anything before the emergence of Pippen and Horace Grant. Later on, he had Rodman instead of Grant. Also, Kerr, Cartright, Paxson were great roll players.
My point is, there really isn't any player who won the title all by himself. Hakeem in 94 was the closest, but he still had Horry, Thorpe, Smith and Maxwell. Not an all-star cast, but by far the weakest supporting cast in any NBA championship team.

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Are you kidding me? MJ didn't win anything before the emergence of Pippen and Horace Grant. Later on, he had Rodman instead of Grant. Also, Kerr, Cartright, Paxson were great roll players.
My point is, there really isn't any player who won the title all by himself. Hakeem in 94 was the closest, but he still had Horry, Thorpe, Smith and Maxwell. Not an all-star cast, but by far the weakest supporting cast in any NBA championship team.

:lol That was a miniscule part of my debate. All I meant was that probably the only great player who could have won on a team with or without good role players would probably be Jordan in his Prime.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 02:19 PM

BINGO!!!

He had all that talent around him and he didnt take advantage! MJ would have gotten his teammates involved. He did it so many times before. Ie. Paxson, Kerr. Kobe still doesnt make his teammates better! Once he does, then I will consider him, but not until then.

Pistonfan1
07-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Dont you dare defend KG. He had the team that made it to the WCF in 2004 back for 2005!!! Dont give me this crap about distractions either. A huge reason why the wolves missed the playoffs is due to Kg's leadership. Flip,Front Office and the players deserve the blame too but KG is their so called "leader".

Medvedenko
07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty partial towards KB8....however wasn't your saviour bitch slapped by Amare during the WCF. Yes I know you guys won...but we aren't taking about best team. Just curious....

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty partial towards KB8....however wasn't your saviour bitch slapped by Amare during the WCF. Yes I know you guys won...but we aren't taking about best team. Just curious....

Last I remember, Duncan scored at will on Amare (will except for the "greatest block of all time" in game 4 :lol).

Billy Cobham
07-27-2005, 06:19 PM
LeBron is without a doubt #1. Duncan is #2.

Sense
07-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Kobe cant pass really? How come he gets all those assists? You guys are fucking idiots (the ones who dont respect his game). Do you all NOT remember the playoff series against the Lakers all those years? Kobe was the one raping us down the stretch.

Fuck Kobe. He is a bitch. He cheats on his wife. Is an awful person. He is cocky. He has an ego. He wants to be number one. He wants everyone to think he is God. He is selfish. Despite all of this, Kobe is the most talented player in the game besides the big fundamental. Without a doubt.

Ballhog playing losers are not Good.

AI,Tmac, Vince Carter, Lebron James, and Kobe.

None of them have won alone.

Dre_7
07-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Kobe is the most talented player in the game besides the big fundamental. Without a doubt.

I would agree with you. Right now Kobe is the most talented player in the league. But thats not what I asked. Is he the best all around player (offense, defense, passing, making teammates better, character, etc, etc)?? I dont think so. And as far as talent goes. Lebron is right up there with Kobe.

TheTruth
07-28-2005, 05:22 AM
I say give Kobe one full, injury free year to prove he can make his team better. I have a feeling this time next year people are going to be singing a different tune about him. With Phil back I can see Kobe making a run for the M.V.P, and leading his team to the playoffs. (only to be destroyed by the Spurs in the 1-8 matchup)

FoxMulder
07-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Kobe cant pass really? How come he gets all those assists? You guys are fucking idiots (the ones who dont respect his game). Do you all NOT remember the playoff series against the Lakers all those years? Kobe was the one raping us down the stretch.

Fuck Kobe. He is a bitch. He cheats on his wife. Is an awful person. He is cocky. He has an ego. He wants to be number one. He wants everyone to think he is God. He is selfish. Despite all of this, Kobe is the most talented player in the game besides the big fundamental. Without a doubt.

Anybody who plays with Shaq will got a lot of assists even me...

FoxMulder
07-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Tim Duncan even when he struggles his FT and his mind sometimes.
By example, behaviour, talent and winnings. All the Spurs champion teams were made around him and always won. You can say he wasn't the difference maker. But he was killing softly the Pistons in the Finals

But Kobe can be in second place, yes he won some championships. But he got a real other SuperStar with him and was Shaq (Something Duncan hasnīt this year, some can argue that Manu or Horry was that second star). Heīs got the skills and is a flashy guy with a lot of highlights. But still must prove he can win without Shaq... thats the reason because most people put him with Lebron... or KG, or a lot of other players like

Allen Iverson
T-Mac
and so... and so...

Finally Tim Duncan is the Best for me
Shaq even old and not healthy is on the second place
third Kobe
fourth Lebron
fifth the Answer
sixth T-Mac or Ray Allen

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
07-28-2005, 08:05 AM
No one has stated the obvious reason Duncan is the best player today. NO EGO. Despite his ability and talent he lets his teammates shine and he simply plays the team game. He can score 13 points in a game and still be happy as long as his team gets the "W". He's not some stat-driven gloryhog that needs people to tell him he's great. He's a coach's dream, an ideal teammate, a true leader, and dominant....that should define the best player in the game.

FoxMulder
07-28-2005, 08:08 AM
No one has stated the obvious reason Duncan is the best player today. NO EGO. Despite his ability and talent he lets his teammates shine and he simply plays the team game. He can score 13 points in a game and still be happy as long as his team gets the "W". He's not some stat-driven gloryhog that needs people to tell him he's great. He's a coach's dream, an ideal teammate, a true leader, and dominant....that should define the best player in the game.

Youīve read my toughts man!

Joesteds
07-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I am just wondering waht the answer would be on a national forum. I think Duncan is definitely top-three player in the league and probably is the best, but there is a debate on here. Almost every post on here has had Duncan by far the best and then argue about who is next. I don't think I could put him up there without a doubt.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
07-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Thank you, I was thinking that the whole time I was reading this forum. People talk down on KG for not getting his team to the playoffs. He finally had a team around him last year and made it to the WCF. This year Spreewell lost not one step but like 3 steps and was worried about feeding his kids. Sam Cassell, if not old and injured, was the Sam Cassell of old and playing for himself as a PG. The rest of the lineup was the oft-injured Wally and may I say Olowo-freaking-kandi. You stick him in on the Spurs roster for Duncan, and they still probably make it to the finals. I don't think they would still win, but to discount him is crazy. Another thing is that if Shaq and D-Wade don't get hurt, then they make it to the Finals and have a good shot at winning it, I think. Lets not forget that Shaq was second in the MVP voting and did turn Miami into a first or second round team to a Finals contender.

You were going good until you got to the bold print. You don't just substitute one star player for another and say "that team probably still makes it to the Finals". What are you basing that on? Duncan and KG's games are night and day. Duncan plays like a true big man with an inside game while KG is too perimeter oriented and plays like a freakin 7 foot shooting guard. Duncan's dominant inside game wins titles and KG's perimeter fadeaway crap doesn't...that's the bottom line. Stick KG on the Spurs and your inside game is gone and suddenly you're a perimeter team like the Mavericks. Those kind of teams don't win titles unless they're lead by Michael Jordan...and even then a lot of Jordan's points came from his post game and he had a variety of moves on the block so while the Bulls were a perimeter team they still had an inside presence.

theMUHMEshow
07-28-2005, 09:27 AM
For my money I like AI. He HAS HAD issues in the past, however, now he has matured and look at what the guy has to play with? COME ON, KYLE KORVER? Igoudala is the only guy on that team worth a crap and they are in the playoffs every year. The guys has the "WILL TO WIN" that Jordan had, and that is something I haven't ever seen in any other player. Everyone wants to call him a ball hog and a shoot first player...someone please name the best player he has played with? Mutombo? and that was a Mutombo at the end of his career. KG has all the Talent in the world, However, in the playoffs, AI has proved he is harder to contend with. Duncan (personally) think is a joke. Ginoboli needed Duncan, but Manu carried that team this year when you guys needed him, he is AMAZING and seems to always be getting the short end of the stick nationally. My list best players comeing in to this year order:
AI
KG
DWade
Duncan
LeBron
JO
Kobe
Dirk
Kidd (if healthy)

Nash to Amare
07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
If Walker signs with Miami and has a big year next year. This will show how much better Shaq is to Kobe. Kobe benefited more than anyone from Shaq.