PDA

View Full Version : ayers

palangi
11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
this guy has been rather disappointing. doesn't seem to have real basketball skill. So why not go younger and get a more skilled guy that still needs some work. Like a jeremy tyler? brings more size, length, and athleticism. is younger. and has good basketball skill. just hasn't been developed. we are looking for someone that only has to play 10-15 minutes and they can be split up between him and baynes. as they would be the 4th and 5th bigs. but atleast they are young and can be developed.

RD2191
11-08-2013, 12:58 PM
its 5 games into the season, remember how long it took splitter to find his niche?

palangi
11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
its 5 games into the season, remember how long it took splitter to find his niche?
I agree. but ayers has been brutal on offense. especially with his shot. splitter atleast showed some signs. ayers does however rotate well on defense. but I would still rather see a younger guy that can be developed come in and take these minutes.

bklynspursfan
11-08-2013, 01:21 PM
another ayres thread 5 games in... Give the guy some time.He's still learning the system, especially on offense. He does seem to hustle and run the court well, and he's capable of knocking down the mid range shot. He just doesn't have it going yet

hater
11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
just does not look NBA ready. Even Blair on his worse nights looked better

DesignatedT
11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Ayers can be useful. He's a "scrapper" and a "bruiser". He seems to be solid defensively and on the glass and hustles his ass off. There's always room for a guy like that on the roster. Not afraid to mix it up.

Sure Blair is more skilled but Blair is worried about his statline and offense. We don't need that.

Saying that, I'm not sure I would have dipped into the MLE to grab Ayers but I like having that type of player on the roster. He never needs to shoot another jumper all season though. Give it sometime and he could develop into a nice energy guy off the bench in spurts.

barakz21
11-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Ayers can be useful. He's a "scrapper" and a "bruiser". He seems to be solid defensively and on the glass and hustles his ass off. There's always room for a guy like that on the roster. Not afraid to mix it up.

Sure Blair is more skilled but Blair is worried about his statline and offense. We don't need that.

Saying that, I'm not sure I would have dipped into the MLE to grab Ayers but I like having that type of player on the roster. He never needs to shoot another jumper all season though. Give it sometime and he could develop into a nice energy guy off the bench in spurts.

Couldnt have said it any better tbh

Dex
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM

IIRC his jump shot looked pretty decent during the preseason. Then in his first regular season action, he badly missed 2-3 jumpers and it's been way off ever since.

boutons_deux
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
he's so uncoordinated he can't shoot FTs or jumpers. just another guy who's in bball because's he's tall, not good.

rjv
11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
he's so uncoordinated he can't shoot FTs or jumpers. just another guy who's in bball because's he's tall, not good. I don't see him as uncoordinated at all. nor do I think that is the reason his jump shot is below average.

Holden_Caulfield
11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
too many big men with no jumpshot, someone needs to supplant bonner asap, tbh

jestersmash
11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Jordan Hill is an "energy guy." Jeff Ayers has been absolutely horrendous. He hasn't shown anything. I don't don't think there's anything he does particularly well. He does plenty of things poorly, though.

jestersmash
11-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't see him as uncoordinated at all. nor do I think that is the reason his jump shot is below average.

He completely missed the rim two times (and counting) when he attempted a mid range corner jumpshot. It just hit the backboard and flew off to the side without even touching rim.

Dex
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM
He completely missed the rim two times (and counting) when he attempted a mid range corner jumpshot. It just hit the backboard and flew off to the side without even touching rim.

He overshot. Shit happens all the time, especially for guys who aren't pure shooters.

Even players with respected jump shots throw up the occasional air ball.

jestersmash
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM
By the way I know most people hate Hollinger and anything advanced stat related because there's always complaints about the models not being perfect (as though such a thing exists in this world)

But Jeff Ayres' PER is 1.9 for the 2013-2014 season so far :lol

jestersmash
11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
GRANTED he's only played a total of 41 minutes for the spurs through 5 games, but still.

Raven
11-08-2013, 02:25 PM
we should accept that the FO deserves an F- for the offseason moves and move on. Ayres has some upside, he has an nba body so we should develop him properly, not expecting much and letting him get comfortable. Belinelli though, has zero upside and is a cancer. We should put him completely out of the rotation.

PlayNando
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
He's the scrub we all knew he would be. Not much to say, tbh. Hell, he's gotten more playing time than I expected, tbh.

Darius McCrary
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Dude can rebound. He'll find a niche, just needs practice

Budkin
11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm reserving judgement until mid-season.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Still early, and the Spurs will be as good as any team in the West in the playoffs, but like I said during the off-season, a good Summer of moves with the available cap space would have put them a level above every other team in the West and probably the best team in the entire league IMO..

Splitter was an easy decision, tbh, but signing Ayers and Belinelli was disappointing..

Thankfully, Diaw looks great and Mills looks good, softens the blow, tbh..a rotation of TD/Tony/Manu/Kawhi/Green/Diaw/Splitter/Mills is still really good..

Mugen
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Still early, and the Spurs will be as good as any team in the West in the playoffs, but like I said during the off-season, a good Summer of moves with the available cap space would have put them a level above every other team in the West and probably the best team in the entire league IMO..

Splitter was an easy decision, tbh, but signing Ayers and Belinelli was disappointing..

Thankfully, Diaw looks great and Mills looks good, softens the blow, tbh..a rotation of TD/Tony/Manu/Kawhi/Green/Diaw/Splitter/Mills is still really good..

Serious question, as I wasn't too heavily invested in the offseason, but who was a realistic target besides Ayers and Beli that could have put the Spurs over the top? I don't count AK47 as realistic considering his under the table deal with the Nyets tbh.

I wasn't thrilled with the Ayers signing either but jury's still out. I know you're not high on Beli but I think he's a decent upgrade over Neal tbh.

Chinook
11-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I wonder if Chip has changed Ayers' shot. He looked on his way to becoming a stretch-four last season. Now he looks like this is his first season trying to shoot from midrange. He's not good enough to be out there over Baynes if he can't spread the floor.

That being said, he's a willing screener and rolls hard. He's mobile and athletic on defense. I think he'll be fine once he gets his shot back. He has the upside of a third big still.

Blue Duck
11-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I just think Baynes is the all around better big, and would love to see him jump ahead in the rotation. He has a skill set that the spurs have been lacking for years, he does not need p-n-r to get a shot up ( can post/ can shoot) and has an unbelievable NBA prototype big man body. Play the aussie!! Go spurs

letmk
11-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I feel Ayers is playing decent (up to his standard/expectation). If he becomes a solid blue-collar/hustle guy, like poor man's Evans, he would be useful to the team.

Hoops Czar
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Serious question, as I wasn't too heavily invested in the offseason, but who was a realistic target besides Ayers and Beli that could have put the Spurs over the top? I don't count AK47 as realistic considering his under the table deal with the Nyets tbh.

I wasn't thrilled with the Ayers signing either but jury's still out. I know you're not high on Beli but I think he's a decent upgrade over Neal tbh.

More serious question, how does Ayres and Beli put the Spurs over the top? And why was important for The Spurs GM to lose financial flexibility by signing Indiana's garbage time big and Beli to MLE money instead of just signing Neal and using the MLE money on a player like AK47 or Mo williams, for any other reason but to say, I'M CHEAP!!!! I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, so I'm not buying the under the table nonsense that so many here have bought into.

It's nice to know RC put so much time and effort into this off season to make the Spurs a more complete basketball team. Though it's only been 5 games, its not hard to see why Indiana wasn't willing to pay Ayres more than the league min or that the offensively challenged Bulls didn't even make Belinelli an offer even though, he was one of the few players they could have paid to bring back. It's even more reassuring that RC had no corporate knowledge of either of those two players and instead, settled on the advice of the two teams that didn't want the said player's back.

I'm not even sure Ayres was a priority seeing as how Baynes was already on the roster. What's the point of signing a guy like Baynes if you aren't going to use him? Is Mills going to be able to sustain his early season success? Can you rely on him come playoff time? Where is the defense going to come from with a second unit consisting of Mills, Manu and Belinelli? Why was it necessary to waste a roster spot with De Colo? Why is Bonner still here? These are the pressing questions that you should be concerning yourself with.

boutons_deux
11-08-2013, 05:18 PM
"I wonder if Chip has changed Ayers' shot"

Please don't slander Chip

Chinook
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
"I wonder if Chip has changed Ayers' shot"mm

Please don't slander Chip

When you change a shot, it gets worse before it gets better. You must have forgotten Splitter's free-throw issues a couple of years ago.

Chinook
11-08-2013, 05:45 PM
More serious question, how does Ayres and Beli put the Spurs over the top? And why was important for The Spurs GM to lose financial flexibility by signing Indiana's garbage time big and Beli to MLE money instead of just signing Neal and using the MLE money on a player like AK47 or Mo williams, other than to say I'M CHEAP!!!! I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, so I'm not buying the under the table nonsense that so many here have bought into.

It's nice to know RC put so much time and effort into this off season to make the Spurs a more complete basketball team. Though it's only been 5 games, its not hard to see why Indiana wasn't willing to pay Ayres more than the league min or that the offensively challenged Bulls didn't even make Belinelli an offer even though, he was one of the few players they could have paid to bring back. It's even more reassuring that RC had no corporate knowledge of either of those two players and instead, settled on the advice of the two teams that didn't want the said player's back.

I'm not even sure Ayres was a priority seeing as how Baynes was already on the roster. What's the point of signing a guy like Baynes if you aren't going to use him? Is Mills going to be able to sustain his early season success? Can you rely on him come playoff time? Where is the defense going to come from with a second unit consisting of Mills, Manu and Belinelli? Why was it necessary to waste a roster spot with De Colo? Why is Bonner still here? These are the pressing questions that you should be concerning yourself with.

A lot of this is true. The team had a ton if financial flexibility but lost it as soon as they chose Belinelli over Neal and failed to trade Bonner during the draft. They could have ended up with much better players without losing anyone important. It was strange to see for sure, but the team made its choice. It's up to them to prove themselves correct.

Blue Duck
11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Excellent post above by Hoops Czar and one that likely echoes the frustrations many of us feel. I would love for the spurs to be able to field a group that relies much less on Tim and tony at this point. I know it's early, but still, lets face it, neither Decolo or Cojo seem to be working out. At some point, i would love to see our team make a more aggressive move. Go spurs

Chomag
11-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Still early but I think the spurs lackluster FO moves of playing it safe this offseason has made this team not as good as last years team. They had so much financial flexability this year but..yeah gotta retire Bonner's jersey here I guess.

Love what Manu has done but was way overpaid for as was Splitter, and what the hell was RC drinking giving MLE away for Indianans trash time player?

PingPong
11-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Who the heck is Ayers? This scrub isn't even listed in the spurs rooster.

quentin_compson
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Is the ubiquitous misspelling of Ayres' name a ST shtick I have failed to notice so far?

exstatic
11-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Ayers is the replacement for Blair. He'll only play limited minutes, and will take some time to acclimatize. Eventually, his jumper will straighten out. He's already a better defender than Blair.

jeebus
02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
some people brought the bads in this thread :lol

phxspurfan
02-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Current PER:

67 Jeff Ayres, SA 45 13.5 .568 20.9 18.9 11.7 9.9 20.8 15.6 10.05

Not terrible, as there is a whole page and a half of shittier players (including at least one Hall of Famer who is playing worse). And Bonner / Bain are in the 11's, so it's not like there are that much better options.