PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Who is currently the best big man in the league?

spurraider21
11-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, Joakim Noah, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Blake Griffin are the top candidates I can think of. Who you got and why?

this isn't a career projection or a "who would you build around for the future" question

Mugen
11-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Vucevic

Venti Quattro
11-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Right now? Love

CitizenDwayne
11-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Right now? Love

Agreed.

Though I expect that will change soon.

spurraider21
11-09-2013, 12:57 AM
I like Love, I just can't stand to call a guy that doesn't protect the rim the league's best big

Stabula
11-09-2013, 12:58 AM
D12

Xylus
11-09-2013, 12:58 AM
No love for Aldridge?

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2013, 12:59 AM
This is probably the shittiest crop of top-level bigs since 2008, tbh..

Duncan was the best last year, but he can't play heavy minutes and he can only dominate in limited stretches, so it's tough to say he's still the best, tbh..Nowitzki is the same, his minutes are going to be relatively limited at this point..

Marc Gasol is arguably the best 2-way player..great defender, very good post game, can make the jump shot, elite passing big, but he's not a high volume player, he doesn't have the mentality to dominate a game, so it's difficult calling him the best..

Hibbert's offense is limited and he can't play against double teams, because he's rarely accustomed to seeing them, tbh..

Aldridge is one of the softest players in the league, he doesn't have the mentality to be s dominant player, nothing special on D, and is progressively shooting more jump shots instead of being in the paint..

Griffin is Griffin, he doesn't look like he's made improvements..

Brook Lopez doesn't rebound and is an average defender..

Noah is a role player, tbh..

Z-Bo looks almost finished..

So you have Kevin Love and Howard left..Howard's flaws are discussed every day in every NBA outlet, and Kevin Love is a loser that doesn't play defense..shitty pickings, tbh..

Venti Quattro
11-09-2013, 01:00 AM
I like Love, I just can't stand to call a guy that doesn't protect the rim the league's best big

Most bigs are either slow, washed up or monkeys nowadays, so I'd give it to the guy who at least has the fundamentals and is versatile.

No love for Aldridge?

There's a reason why Aldridge is not even in consideration, tbh

Xylus
11-09-2013, 01:00 AM
tbh, this is a tough question and I don't know the answer. I'll say Miles Plumlee.

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Anthony Davis could be the best by the end of the year, but he has to prove that he can stay healthy and withstand the rigours of the paint with that skinny frame, tbh..

AchillesHeel
11-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Davis is probably the best overall big in the game, can play well on both ends, needs to score more efficiently, though.

Baam
11-09-2013, 03:37 AM

Duncan was the best last year, but he can't play heavy minutes and he can only dominate in limited stretches, so it's tough to say he's still the best, tbh..Nowitzki is the same, his minutes are going to be relatively limited at this point..

Marc Gasol is arguably the best 2-way player..great defender, very good post game, can make the jump shot, elite passing big, but he's not a high volume player, he doesn't have the mentality to dominate a game, so it's difficult calling him the best..

Hibbert's offense is limited and he can't play against double teams, because he's rarely accustomed to seeing them, tbh..

Aldridge is one of the softest players in the league, he doesn't have the mentality to be s dominant player, nothing special on D, and is progressively shooting more jump shots instead of being in the paint..

So you have Kevin Love and Howard left..Howard's flaws are discussed every day in every NBA outlet, and Kevin Love is a loser that doesn't play defense..shitty pickings, tbh..

Marc Gasol doesn't have a very good post game, it's serviceable at best, guy mostly shoot mid range jumpers...

ElNono
11-09-2013, 04:00 AM
baynes, imo (no-homer)

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Anthony Davis is the best all-around big. Kevin Love will score and rebound, but he isn't going to slow down any offenses any-time soon. Davis is a presence; when players drive in, they think of him.

KaiRMD1
11-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Kevin Love is still considered a big?

lefty
11-09-2013, 04:10 AM
If Pau didnt lose his penis after his breakup in 2011, he would be the best big right now

Dude is the most complete big

Arcadian
11-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Tim. Will retain that status until he retires most likely - partly because the competition is weak, partially because he's just that good.

FkLA
11-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Kevin Love is a bitch tbh. A rich man's David Lee. Some dumbass is going to throw max money at him though, unfortunately.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2013, 05:05 AM
baynes imo...protecting ur life instead of rim...lol built to play rugby

Robz4000
11-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Going with my heart and saying Baynes tbh.

AchillesHeel
11-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Tim. Will retain that status until he retires most likely - partly because the competition is weak, partially because he's just that good.

Duncan is the most skilled big man in the game.

LkrFan
11-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Duncan is the most skilled big man in the game.
13.8/6.:lol

Vash StampedE
11-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I was about to say Kevin Love then someone brought up Anthony Davis. Even though the former has been scoring and rebounding in high volumes for the games played so far, I have to go with the latter. Davis does extremely well at both ends of the floors: block shots, can shoot the ball and high motor. Not sure if he already has a reliable post-up game. But dude is the real deal. There's a reason why he was picked no. 1 overall in the past draft.

AchillesHeel
11-09-2013, 09:49 AM
13.8/6.:lol

How's Pau doing leading his team, tbh?

LkrFan
11-09-2013, 09:52 AM
How's Pau doing leading his team, tbh?
Caveman is outplaying him at a fraction of the cost. I hope Jim trade his expiring contract for a player like Aldridge.

Pau is donePERIOD.

AchillesHeel
11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Caveman is outplaying him at a fraction of the cost. I hope Jim trade his expiring contract for a player like Aldridge.

Pau is donePERIOD.

You're not getting anything of high value for this guy.

Lakerfan logic: "Player sucks ass, let's trade him for a younger all-star caliber player"

It doesn't work that way, maybe if you packaged your 2014 first pick and made it top 3 protected, but I don't think you can trade consecutive picks and you already traded 2013 and 2015, so you have to bank on getting a good pick aka tanking, but it seems like the players won't be doing that as they want to compete and get bigger contracts next season, and Kirby will chase his scoring title so you're shit out of luck right now.

LkrFan
11-09-2013, 10:02 AM
You're not getting anything of high value for this guy.

Lakerfan logic: "Player sucks ass, let's trade him for a younger all-star caliber player"

It doesn't work that way, maybe if you packaged your 2014 first pick and made it top 3 protected, but I don't think you can trade consecutive picks and you already traded 2013 and 2015, so you have to bank on getting a good pick aka tanking, but it seems like the players won't be doing that as they want to compete and get bigger contracts next season, and Kirby will chase his scoring title so you're shit out of luck right now.
Don't be foolish son. We turned a bonafide scrub (Kwame) into Pau which turned into 3 straight Finals and 2 rings. Now Pau is the expiring contract. If Mitch/Jim sees a player(s) they like before the trade deadline (when teams hold fire sales) they'll pull the trigger. It's the Lakers' MO.

Calispursfan11
11-09-2013, 10:03 AM
How can you guys overlook Spearchucker in the discussion of this subpar bigman list?

AchillesHeel
11-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Don't be foolish son. We turned a bonafide scrub (Kwame) into Pau which turned into 3 straight Finals and 2 rings. Now Pau is the expiring contract. If Mitch/Jim sees a player(s) they like before the trade deadline (when teams hold fire sales) they'll pull the trigger. It's the Lakers' MO.

You turned Kwame + Marc Gasol into Pau, and Memphis only did that trade because they blew it up and went into rebuilding mode with Rudy Gay. You have no prospects to give and unless Rondo wants out of Boston, I don't see how you can get any value for Pau.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I still think Duncan has the most tools and is the best big man still. I don't know why he settles for jumpers so much nowadays... wish he'd post up.

With that being said, I think D12 is still the best center. He is very limited, but his body frame alone lets him dominate.. kind of like LeBron lol. With Bynum regressing, at this point you can't really argue anyone else. Marc Gasol comes in close though. He is way more versatile. Hibbert also has potential.

As far as PF goes, Love is obviously there with Duncan. Aldridge's jumper is nice as hell, but I still think he needs to develop a post game to be up there.

Pelicans78
11-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Love and Davis have been the two best so far this season.

Baynes
11-09-2013, 11:09 AM
top tier:
Love
Timmy
Hibbert

next in line:
Davis
Gasol brothers
gay Howard

RsxPiimp
11-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Thank you!

I see a lot of people getting massive bonkerswith stat padding big men playing on shirty teams:lol

Duncan is still my pick, Anthony Davis is having big numbers and e appears to be the future but right now Duncan's value still tops most of these cats.

DMC
11-09-2013, 11:42 AM
It's not Kevin Love. I'd call Davis a better big than Love. Funny how people parrot "defense wins championships" but always fall back on offensive stats to rank players.

DMC
11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I still think Duncan has the most tools and is the best big man still. I don't know why he settles for jumpers so much nowadays... wish he'd post up.

With that being said, I think D12 is still the best center. He is very limited, but his body frame alone lets him dominate.. kind of like LeBron lol. With Bynum regressing, at this point you can't really argue anyone else. Marc Gasol comes in close though. He is way more versatile. Hibbert also has potential.

As far as PF goes, Love is obviously there with Duncan. Aldridge's jumper is nice as hell, but I still think he needs to develop a post game to be up there.

With D12, attitude kills it. You cannot be the best just because your tool box has better tools. You have to be able and willing to use them. He's neither.

RsxPiimp
11-09-2013, 11:45 AM
If you want to win championship

Duncan
M gasol
Hibbert
Healthy chandler
Bynum if healthy
Dwight is he focuses on defense

If you want fantasy type of players and like highlights

A. Davis
K. Love
D. Cousins
B. Griffin

tlongII
11-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Hibbert is the best 5 and Aldridge is the best 4. It's not even debatable.

tlongII
11-09-2013, 11:52 AM
And lol at Duncan. He hasn't been in the discussion for at least 3 years.

-21-
11-09-2013, 11:59 AM
"The Best Big in the League" title changes every night tbh. There's no one that really stands out right now. It's a toss up between Hibbert, Love, Davis, Duncan, Howard, and Marc Gasol.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-09-2013, 12:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uCTXqNIxoU

Raven
11-09-2013, 12:19 PM

great takes.

spurraider21
11-09-2013, 12:34 PM
:lol people citing Anthony Davis' "efficiency issues"

he shot over 51% from the field last year, and boo-hoo his FG% was low 5 games into the season. crofl, after 1 big game yesterday he's up to 47% from the field. he'll end up around 50% and probably over 80% at the line. thats pretty efficient. he's also probably the best defensive big in the game right now.

that being said, do you guys think the Spurs title chances (for THIS season) would increase if they swapped out Duncan for Davis? How would the Pelicans playoff outlook change (again, just for THIS season) if they swapped out Davis for Duncan

Indazone
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm going to have to go with the Pacers big man. Hibbert. Least this dude can hit his free throws. :bang

spurraider21
11-09-2013, 12:40 PM
IMO if Davis can bulk up another 15-20 pounds and not lose his athletic superiority, he'd dominate. He can still get bullied in the lost post a little bit, but he's still incredible. I was watching yesterday's game and he was out of position and still managed to block Pau a couple of times

Vash StampedE
11-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Thank you!

I see a lot of people getting massive bonkerswith stat padding big men playing on shirty teams:lol

Duncan is still my pick, Anthony Davis is having big numbers and e appears to be the future but right now Duncan's value still tops most of these cats.
I see you guys are still on Duncan's dick:lol

Vash StampedE
11-09-2013, 01:12 PM
You haven't been watching NBA for 3 years

Stabula
11-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The fact that everyone names someone different proves there is no best big man in the league right now.

tlongII
11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
You haven't been watching NBA for 3 years

14 points and 6 rebounds per game. Wow.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Still shits on Aldridge period

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Plus that doesn't put into account the game against Memphis when he left after the first quarter scrub

SpurSwag
11-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Despite his stats right now, which obviously come from limited minutes/coasting, it's still Duncan. However, that says a lot more about the state of the league's bigs then anything. At this point, griffin and howard should be miles ahead of duncan in terms of production, but they just aren't (again, look past stats). Had ever player reached close to their potential, duncan would be about the 5th or 6th best big in the league right now. But the bigs have truly either become really soft or just straight up monkey ballers. The only big men that look like they've improved in the last couple of years are anthony davis, demarcus cousins (dude is lowkey beasting right now) and brook lopez, but lopez and cousins are pretty average defensively

spurraider21
11-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm going to prematurely ejaculate and go with Anthony Davis, but I think no big gives the Sours a better chance to win than Duncan

TDfan2007
11-09-2013, 06:53 PM
There is no clear best big in the league this year. I think that Timmy is going to regress a little, which will open it up for someone to take the crown from him. There are great bigs for certain purposes, just depends on what your team needs. Here are the best bigs (imo) grouped into different categories:

Pick and Roll/Pop Bigs:
Timmy
Marc Gasol
Anthony Davis
D12
Griffin
Aldridge
Love

Defensive Anchors:
Marc Gasol
Timmy
D12
Hibbert

Perimeter Bigs
Aldridge
Dirk
Love

Post up bigs:
Timmy
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol
Hibbert
Lopez

IMO there isn't a single complete big man in the game today. The closest is still Duncan. If he's healthy and in rhythm come playoff time, then there's no big who I'd rather have on my team. Everyone else has very glaring weaknesses that you can game plan against effectively come playoff time.

I will say though that Anthony Davis has all of the tools to be the best big in the league. He just needs to bulk up a bit and become more consistent offensively. I've given up hope on Griffin and Aldridge at this point...

Halberto
11-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Haven't seen Horford mentioned much. He isn't the best, but he is top 5