PDA

View Full Version : Diaw 2.0 vs Lee

Perry Mason
11-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Some time ago 85% or so of Spurstalk posters hated on the idea that someone might prefer Diaw to David Lee. A small minority (myself silently included) of posters preferred Diaw for his defense, and potential offense (and that the Spurs did not need Lee's firepower as much as defense).

So, with the advent of Diaw 2.0, would it be fair to say that the minority take has been vindicated, at least for the Spurs? I always felt the majority take was based more on stat-whoring and image rather than fundamentals and team fit.

apalisoc_9
11-10-2013, 09:20 PM
FkLA, did you have to make a new account just to make this thread?

ElNono
11-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I was going to give my dude FkLA his due on the NBA forum, tbh... although in all fairness, Lee was injured a lot last season, so I don't know what he looks like these days...

Juggity
11-10-2013, 09:52 PM
David Lee is one of the 10 worst defenders in the league. Even Richard Jefferson rode him like a donkey. He's a net negative on the court.

Diaw is proving more and more valuable over the last year or so. His defense on Lebron in the finals was impeccable, as was his offensive production. This season he seems like a new man.

Lee is obviously playing a larger role on GSW. But I don't necessarily think he's more valuable to his team than Diaw is the spurs right now.

exstatic
11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Boris Diaw is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, and on both sides of the ball. I don't even worry when he gets switched on P'n'R defense.

He's one of those nightmare players to defend. If you put a small on him, he'll back him down in the post. If you use a big, he puts the ball on the floor and puts up one of those nice, soft croissant reverse layups.

exstatic
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
David Lee is one of the 10 worst defenders in the league. Even Richard Jefferson rode him like a donkey. He's a net negative on the court.

Diaw is proving more and more valuable over the last year or so. His defense on Lebron in the finals was impeccable, as was his offensive production. This season he seems like a new man.

Lee is obviously playing a larger role on GSW. But I don't necessarily think he's more valuable to his team than Diaw is the spurs right now.

Lee not playing in the playoffs forced Mark Jackson to go very small. I'm not sure they give us as much trouble with a more regular lineup that includes him.

timtonymanu
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
I would have taken Lee over last year's Diaw and the 2012 Diaw. Passive Diaw was frustrating to watch at times. He really messed up the offense when he chose to defer.

The new Diaw certainly makes the comparison more debatable. I think I would take Diaw 2.0 over Lee. Like exstatic said, Diaw is a versatile player. Very valuable for a team contending for a title. Lee will be more recognized for the numbers he puts up, but if I'm going with impact, I would rather have Diaw.

Darkwaters
11-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Diaw was very passive tonight. Saw him pass up several wide open shots...in fact, he only made one attempt.

But all and all hes been great this season. Beyond great.

jestersmash
11-10-2013, 10:57 PM

:lmao

KL2
11-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Need to see if his production lasts, it's all mental for him, he's always been capable of this.

Ever since RJ was averaging like 18ppg the first 1-2 months of I think his 2nd season here? I've been wary of beginning of the season performances .

FkLA
11-11-2013, 02:30 AM

:lol That is not me, bro. Kori or timvp can verify or even ElNono since hes a mod.

But yeah, like always FkLA is right again. Nothing new tbh.

Raven
11-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Lee not playing in the playoffs forced Mark Jackson to go very small. I'm not sure they give us as much trouble with a more regular lineup that includes him.

i'm sure they don't.

james evans
11-11-2013, 08:38 AM

exactly. diaw is a good passer, can hit the open 3 consistently, as well as defend.

Rogue
11-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Plus Diaw can do a good job defending Lebron when things really matter. Lee has better talent but he's been underused on the Warriors team it seems to me, run-and-gun basketball ain't just the right style for him imho. If I were Pop I certainly choose Lee over Diaw any day, only if they could be had for the same price of course.

hyhy
11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
imagine Diaw putting in effort to buff up

look_at_g_shred
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Man is Diaw one of the most underrated pick ups for the Spurs.........Ever? I love this guy!!

hater
11-18-2013, 02:31 PM
this season besides being a better rebounder, I don't see how David Lee can be considered far superior IMO