PDA

View Full Version : Any news on a future Poppovich book?

jdiggy0424
11-11-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm in the process of reading Phil Jackson's new book 'Eleven Rings', and it came to my attention that most great coaches have some sort of bio written about them. I'm just curious as to why Coach Poppovich has never written anything about his time coaching this team, or rather why nobody has tried to write anything about him.

I personally think it would make for a hell of a read.

chapnis
11-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Because the story hasn't ended yet.

adonis827
11-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Is it because the spurs are boring / no drama? Or maybe because Popovich would not write much- much less share something in an interview?

But Pop can somehow tell us what really happened to
1. Tony Parker and Brent's wife if true
2. Jackson's departure
3. Duncan's real sexuality- if there is really anything to it

But those are all recent and other than that- the spurs are just too boring to win most games!

racm
11-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Pop writing a book would be just him flipping the bird to the reader.

Juggity
11-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Because the story hasn't ended yet.

This is it exactly.

When would Pop have time to write a book if he's still serving as head coach of the Spurs?

The regular season is six months of constant prep and adjustments, the playoffs are two months of intense, total immersion and prep, the offseason is really the only realistic time in which he could write a book — and that's only 4 months. And it's not like in the offseason, his obligations to the spurs stop. I'm sure he spends a massive amount of time consulting with RC about the draft, trying to target free agents, doing administrative and charity work.

When his career is over, Pop will write a book. If he doesn't want to do it himself, somebody will write the book for him.

Richie
11-11-2013, 01:56 AM
I can't imagine Popovich ever writing a book to talk about his time at the Spurs. Both he and the Spurs organisation are incredibly private about their affairs, I can't see him violating the players and organisations trust to make a quick buck.

Besides, when he retires from coaching he'll stay part of the front office with RC.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-11-2013, 05:51 AM
I can imagine it being written after it is all said and done. I get the importance of secrecy but after the fact I hope that he has a sense of how important his time has been to the sport and this city.

exstatic
11-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Phil is an attention whore. Pop is not.

Spur|n|Austin
11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Pop has publicly said "nobody wants to read what I have to say". I doubt he ever writes a book but I would 100% read it if he did. Maybe in his days of retirement he'll get bored and put something in publication, but I doubt it.

xmas1997
11-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Phil is an asswipe, Pop is not.

spurraider21
11-11-2013, 12:23 PM
i don't read many books for leisure. i would definitely pick up anything pop writes though

Spur|n|Austin
11-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Phil is an asswipe, Pop is not.

Yeah, only asswipes write books. Dafuq?

Brunodf
11-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Pop writing a book:rollin

:tu Good one

mouse
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Pop is to busy with his music career.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/bored/pop-hits.jpg

Man In Black
11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Pop's book is already written and it's being read on a basketball court and being spread by a bunch of mini-pops who now are in a front office or coaching. That's his legacy and he doesn't have to write a single page of text on a manuscript for it to get published/

Arcadian
11-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Can you imagine Gregg Popovich writing a book? :lmao I can't. I imagine he's a terrible writer. What the hell would he say?

"We played basketball, we won a lot, and we lost sometimes. Fuck you for buying this book."

Baseline
11-11-2013, 10:34 PM
What would the book be called? How about SCHMUCK. Why write a book about a guy who coaches a team out of a title when it's in his hand? A Hall of Fame player scores 25 points in the first half, and he yanks him when the game - and the title - is on the line. A book about Popovich? No thanks. A book about Tim Duncan? Sure, at whatever the price.

Libri
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
posthumous book

blkroadrunners
11-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Can you imagine Gregg Popovich writing a book? :lmao I can't. I imagine he's a terrible writer. What the hell would he say?

"We played basketball, we won a lot, and we lost sometimes. Fuck you for buying this book."
:lmao

gee
11-12-2013, 01:01 AM
It would be called "Gregg Popovich: Secret Confessions and Regrets" and it would be a big hardcover that you buy in plastic.
You take it home, take it out of the plastic, open it up and all the pages are blank.
Then your receipt disintegrates.

mouse
11-12-2013, 02:36 AM
If he did write a book it would only need one page that reads..........

count the rings and kiss my ass!

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2013, 09:19 AM

You imagine he'd be a terrible writer? I'd have to disagree with you on that considering his high IQ.

Arcadian
11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
You imagine he'd be a terrible writer? I'd have to disagree with you on that considering his high IQ.

Writing takes a lot more than high IQ. You have to actually enjoy using words to construct sentences in a thoughtful, artistic manner. Pop hates using words to create thoughts, and he hates sharing his thoughts with anyone. How is he going to write a whole book if he can hardly think of two sentences for an interview?

TampaDude
11-12-2013, 12:41 PM

:lmao Post of the week! :lmao

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Writing takes a lot more than high IQ. You have to actually enjoy using words to construct sentences in a thoughtful, artistic manner. Pop hates using words to create thoughts, and he hates sharing his thoughts with anyone. How is he going to write a whole book if he can hardly think of two sentences for an interview?

Right, I understand that; I also think that it's not that Pop "can hardly think of two sentences for an interview", I think it's that he hates the media and for their usually dumb questions. Pop reads a lot and I don't see it as far fetched that he wrote a book, but yeah I agree, it's not likely. People change a lot when they retire and get bored, never know..

exstatic
11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Right, I understand that; I also think that it's not that Pop "can hardly think of two sentences for an interview", I think it's that he hates the media and for their usually dumb questions. Pop reads a lot and I don't see it as far fetched that he wrote a book, but yeah I agree, it's not likely. People change a lot when they retire and get bored, never know..

This. The NBA forces coaches to do media time EVERY game, and god the questions are dumb almost every night.

Arcadian
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
This. The NBA forces coaches to do media time EVERY game, and god the questions are dumb almost every night.

Yeah, that's a good point... But still, Pop just doesn't seem like the kind of person who would enjoy writing a book. It's not that he isn't capable; he just wouldn't want to.

mouse
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM

hadn't seen this epic post when I made my last post good job! :tu

Didn't Pop already write the 10 commandments?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/bored/pop-mosses2.jpg

barakz21
11-12-2013, 08:35 PM
This is it exactly.

When would Pop have time to write a book if he's still serving as head coach of the Spurs?

The regular season is six months of constant prep and adjustments, the playoffs are two months of intense, total immersion and prep, the offseason is really the only realistic time in which he could write a book — and that's only 4 months. And it's not like in the offseason, his obligations to the spurs stop. I'm sure he spends a massive amount of time consulting with RC about the draft, trying to target free agents, doing administrative and charity work.

When his career is over, Pop will write a book. If he doesn't want to do it himself, somebody will write the book for him.

Damn, that TD and DRob pic is hilarious!

ElNono
11-12-2013, 10:11 PM

:rollin

DMC
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I asked Pop face to face once if he would ever write a book. He said no one would read past the 1st page.