PDA

View Full Version : NBA store

ShoogarBear
07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
So I'm in Noo Yawk for a conference, and seems the hotel where I'm staying is right around the corner from the NBA store. So naturally I have to go check it out.

Eh, it's aiight. In these days of Super Sporting Goods Stores in every mall, it doesn't really overwhelm.

The best part: the lifesized bobblehead dolls of Shaq and Yao. Although Shaq has never actually looked like this: he's the size he was with the Lakers, but cut like he was in Orlando. Good googamongas, those guys are huge. No way in hell I'd ever stand in to take a charge from Shaq.

They also had one of those Carny basket-shooting deals, where the hoop is about 3-4 inches smaller than regulation. This one Puerto Rican girl, couldn't have been more than 14, was OWNING it.

There was also this picture on the wall: Tim and KG running downcourt side-by-side (it was an All-Star game because both were in their road jerseys and you could see Allan Houston behind them in a home jersey). They were both laughing, and KG was reaching out and was palming Tim's head (sort of like what Tim always does to TP). It's a great photo, surprised I hadn't seen it anywhere before.

You would never know walking through the store that the Spurs had won the title. I don't think I saw any championship gear. The only current jerseys I saw were Manu and TP. Anyway, I bought an authentic Gervin road jersey (the one with "San Antonio" on the front).

timvp
07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
All-Star game because both were in their road jerseys and you could see Allan Houston

Must have been an old ass picture. :)

No Duncan jerseys?

BronxCowboy
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Nice synopsis. But next time leave the "Noo Yawk" thing alone. That's among the worst phonetic spellings of anything that I am familiar with. I don't understand why people use it in print (even New Yorkers). The only people who really make it sound like that particular spelling are Southerners "imitating" New Yorkers. But I digress.

ShoogarBear
07-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Must have been an old ass picture. :)

Yeah, I meant to look that up before I posted, because that would have narrowed down the game.

No Duncan jerseys?
I didn't do an exhaustive search, but didn't see any. Shocking, huh?

Mr. Body
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
I work around the corner from there (it's 53rd and 5th, I'm 51st and 6th), and it is, indeed, just alright. I was ticked they took down the Finals window display so soon after. You might have found Duncan 21 game jerseys downstairs. They have little locker-like cubbies for each team. A year ago you wouldn't have found the Parker, likely, and definitely not the Ginobili. My favorite area is the ABA section.

ShoogarBear
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Nice synopsis. But next time leave the "Noo Yawk" thing alone. That's among the worst phonetic spellings of anything that I am familiar with. I don't understand why people use it in print (even New Yorkers). The only people who really make it sound like that particular spelling are Southerners "imitating" New Yorkers. But I digress.
It sure sounds like Grandmaster Flash's pronunciation:

Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk big city of dreams . . .

BronxCowboy
07-26-2005, 08:28 PM
It sure sounds like Grandmaster Flash's pronunciation:

Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk big city of dreams . . .

ehh, maybe I'm just not pronouncing it right in my head.

Dre_7
07-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Speaking of the NBA Store, I went to the NBA Store online, and they dont sell Spurs Swingman Jerseys anymore. Whats the deal?? :wtf

I wanted to buy a Home Bowen Swingman Jersey, but was unable to. Grrr!

ShoogarBear
07-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I work around the corner from there (it's 53rd and 5th, I'm 51st and 6th), and it is, indeed, just alright. I was ticked they took down the Finals window display so soon after. You might have found Duncan 21 game jerseys downstairs. They have little locker-like cubbies for each team. A year ago you wouldn't have found the Parker, likely, and definitely not the Ginobili. My favorite area is the ABA section.
Yeah, I'm at the Sheraton Towers at 52nd and 7th (small-ass rooms, expensive as hell, but convenient location).

I did go downstairs and only saw the Manu and TP jerseys in the lockers, but I didn't go through every single one.

I forgot to add: there is, of course, a ton of Knicks stuff there, and a lot of Laker and even a fair amount of Celtics stuff. Just think what it would be like if the Knicks were any good.

Dex
07-26-2005, 08:55 PM
I wanna go ta Noo Yawk fo' a hawt dawg. :blah

Mr. Body
07-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I'm at the Sheraton Towers at 52nd and 7th (small-ass rooms, expensive as hell, but convenient location).

Always wondered what kind of celebrities stay in those hotels. Guess that answers my question. :lol