PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts - Spurs @ 76ers

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 01:42 PM
After a classic "Burn-the-tape" victory over an over-matched Knicks squad, the Spurs traveled to Philadelphia to take on a scrappy 76ers unit and one of the leagues top offenses. The young 6ers team can already claim early season victories over both the Bulls and Heat, and most expected a closer contest last night. With the Spurs coming off a back-to-back, Duncan rested and watched the machine that is the Spurs system, run roughshod over a well-coached and athletic squad.
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/box2.jpg

Player & Coach Grades

---------------
Tony Parker
http://www.spurstalk.com/tp12.png
Tony came out of the gates looking to get the offense in gear, and once he sized up MCW, had no problem getting to the paint the rest of the night. On offense, his ability to probe the defense for an opening was on full display as he got to his hot zones on the court repeatedly and made the 76ers pay for giving him an inch of space on his jumpers. When he wasn't swishing his jumper, he was slicing his way to the bucket, and looking like the quickest player on the court. He topped off his scoring with several beautifully executed passes into the post and to shooters on the wings. His effort on defense is slowly ticking up and he was able to put together a solid night against a very good PG in MCW, contributing to a 2-11 night from the field.
Final Grade: A+

---------------
Manu Ginobili
http://www.spurstalk.com/mg12.png
After a streak that saw him shoot 3-23 from downtown (almost all wide open shots) over the last 5 games, Manu Ginobili was able to right the ship and sink both of his 3-Point shots. In limited action (13 minutes), Ginobili played the role of spot-up shooter and wasn't tasked with creating on the offensive end. He was passable on D, getting left behind a couple of times by quicker opponents, but was able to hold his own.
Final Grade: B+

---------------
Danny Green
http://www.spurstalk.com/dg12.png
Reminding all of us that it is unwise to question his game during one of his patented droughts, Danny Green added to his reputation as one of the leagues streakiest shooters. For the second straight game, the opposing team continued to leave him open and for the second straight game he made them pay for it. Starting 4-4 from long distance, and only missing a contested 30ft turnaround jumper at the buzzer to end the first half. The box score only credits him with 1 steal on the evening, but DG ended a number of 76ers possessions with deflected passes that turned into easy points on the other end of the floor. If the Spurs are getting back to The Finals, this is the player Danny Green will have to be.

---------------
Tiago Splitter
http://www.spurstalk.com/ts12.png
A glance at the box score would tell you this was a solid night for Tiago Splitter, but it was really much more. While it is now apparent that he will never be a particular strong finisher at the rim, Splitter was able to get his shots off and find the bottom of the net more often than not. His interior passing was as crisp as it has been during his best moments in the league, and on defense, he was a difference maker guarding the paint when the 76ers found their way to the bucket. While he did struggle adjusting to stepping out and defending Hawes at the 3 point line, the rest of his game was solid to say the least. Had a certain teammate not missed 4 dunks and a layup at the bucket, you would've been looking at a 11-6-5 night from the Brazilian.
Final Grade: A

---------------
Jeff Ayres
Tasked with being the first big off of the bench, Jeff Ayers played a magnificent game on the defensive side of the ball. I kept finding myself impressed with his ability to stay vertical and challenge shots in the paint, and also with his energy on the boards. On offense, things could not have started smoother. In the first half, Ayers was decisive every time he touched the ball and wasn't letting the ball stick in his hands any longer than it needed to and had some magnificent interior passes that paid off in easy buckets for Tiago. I couldn't have been more pleased with his aggressiveness on both sides of the ball...and that's when it happened. He went up strong to slam home a dunk and missed, then he went up strong to slam home a dunk and missed, then he went up strong to slam home a dunk and missed, then he went up strong to slam home a dunk and...are you seeing a pattern here? I'm almost positive the league has never seen someone blow 4 open dunks, and my bet is that you wont see it again. Had he just utilized what they call a "layup" Ayers would've finished with 14-6-2...but he didn't and instead finished with 6 points on 9 shots.
Final Grade: D+ for the dunks, B+ without the dunks.

---------------
Boris Diaw
http://www.spurstalk.com/bd12.png
Boris Diaw did a lot of Boris Diaw things last night. The great passing and shooting we've come to expect were on display, as well as some good work on the glass. On defense, he looked a step slow against Thad Young but was still able to compete and come in with a decent game. Five turnovers on the night put a damper on the performance, but outside of that it was a good night.
Final Grade: B-

---------------
Patrick Mills
http://www.spurstalk.com/pm12.png
Patty Mills continues to be a blur on the court. His energy level and effort on the defensive end forced the 76ers to speed up their offense to a pace they were uncomfortable playing at, and it resulted in multiple turnovers and fast break points during Mills' 20 minutes on the floor. On the other side of the ball, he's been a faster version of Gary Neal, only with the ability to pass and you know...play point guard. He's also got one of the quickest releases I've ever seen, so much so that Manu and Tony even had to look at each other and give a "not bad" face after a midrange jumper of Mills' splashed the net late in the game.

---------------
Kawhi Leonard
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/6450.png&w=350&h=254
Another night at the office for The Hand. His box scores are increasingly reminding me of AK47's early years in the league, and his knack for disrupting the passing lanes is unrivaled. Surprisingly, he struggled with Evan Turner and wasn't able to stop him getting to his spots on the court in the first half. Things ticked up in the 3rd quarter and Kawhi really locked in on both ends of the court, after a first half that saw several of his drives to the hoop end in clumsy fashion, KL found his groove and was able to finish at the hoop and also convert on a Bowen (corner 3).
Final Grade: A-

---------------
Marco Belinelli
From the way he played last night, I'm guessing he asked the 76ers if they "wanted something long and thick to eat. (https://twitter.com/g0ldbluntz/status/397219065581666304/photo/1)" and they must have replied with a resounding "Yes please!" The season was off to a somewhat rough start for our newest flashy Euro, unfamiliarity with the Spurs offense was leading to a lot of bad spacing and out-of-rhythm jumpshots but the Italian seems to be finding his niche in the system. He was able to knock down a couple of open 3s, and more impressively made some superb passes where he passed up good shots to get his teammates great ones, the Spurs System Mantra. He was solid on D, and was putting in work on the defensive glass. I counted at least 3 rebounds that should have been second-chance opportunities for the 76ers, but JellyBelly was there to bang with the big boys and snatch them away. It's hard to contain my excitement thinking of the lineups Pop will be able to throw at teams with Patty, Manu, and Marco all being able to create off of the bench, where last year we were really limited to Manu and Neal, and Neal was only getting himself shots for the most part.

---------------
The Garbage Time Team
With the game winding down, Cory Joseph, Nando De Colo, and Aron Baynes saw a few minutes. CoJo came in and handled the ball relatively well. On that point, does it look to anyone else like he worked on his handles over the summer? Last year his dribbling motion and movement with the ball was a little...jerky? Nando ran around a bit with TP so he could miss a couple of open 3s before knocking one down, and Baynes checked in to grab a couple of boards in 3 minutes. Of the three, only Baynes will see increased action in the near future, the 76ers are a much speedier team on the front line and there wasn't any real bangers to throw Baynes at last night.

---------------
Pop
http://www.spurstalk.com/gp12.png
I'm always happy when Pop sits one or all of the big 3 and the Spurs eek out a win, even happier when they blowout a decent team on the road. Pop knew coming in that the 76ers possessed great speed, and distributed his minutes to players that would best neutralize that advantage. Sitting Baynes was the right call, and giving Ayers big minutes was best course of action due to his quickness moving around the court. Not much of anything to even nitpick at.

---------------
Offense
Spurs basketball was on full display last night. The team started slowly out of the gates, but quickly doubled their point total in the closing 3 minutes of the first quarter when Marco and Patty checked in. Time after time, players made the unselfish pass and set up teammates for wide open looks on 3's (Marco, KL, Mills, and Green all hit open corner 3s), uncontested layups, and dunks. What a difference a few days makes, this doesn't resemble the same team that faced the Warriors on last Friday night. I'm also not sure if Ayers and Tiago have been attending the "Boris Diaw School of Passing In The Lane" but I don't recall witnessing a front line in the NBA move the ball quite this well since the Sacramento Kings were trotting out Divac and Webber.

---------------
Defense
Coming into the game, the 76ers boasted the leagues number #7 ranked offense and the Spurs put the clamps on them. While Evan Turner was able to have his way with Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard in regards to getting to the paint, the teams help defense was outstanding. Tiago Splitter and Jeff Ayers were magnificent staying vertical and challenging shots by Turner and MCW at the rim, and equally as impressive cleaning up the boards. On a night where the anchor of the teams defense was in street clothes, the Spurs were able to plug in pieces and not skip a beat.

---------------
Game in a Nutshell
With 8 minutes left in the 3rd and the 76ers still competing, MCW blew by Tony Parker on the perimeter and went to slam home the Dunk of the Year on Jeff Ayers, but had MCW done his homework, he would have known that the Dunking Curse put on Ayers is contagious and that his attempt would also go caroming off of the rim. This promptly lead to a 10-2 run by Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard in which they both nailed open threes made possible by the penetration of Tony Parker and KL hit a beautiful midrange jumper that ushered in garbage time.

RD2191
11-12-2013, 01:44 PM
:wakeup

ElNono
11-12-2013, 01:45 PM
thanks

Darkwaters
11-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Why still doing the TacoCabanaFajitas thing?

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Why still doing the TacoCabanaFajitas thing?

the wut

Boomersgold
11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Much more detailed and interesting to read than timvp's game thoughts. Thanks for doing this, man.

will_spurs
Is there a video of the 4 missed dunks somewhere?

TacoCabanaFajitas
Much more detailed and interesting to read than timvp's game thoughts. Thanks for doing this, man.

How dare you.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Is there a video of the 4 missed dunks somewhere?

I'm sure there will be a gif sometime, after the 2nd one I was hoping he would miss one more just so I could see the bench reaction.

Spurs Brazil
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
:tu

Boomersgold
11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
How dare you.
The fact that there's someone out there who also provides us with decent game thoughts hould serve as motivation for timvp to come back, tbh.

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for posting these fajita.

Darkwaters
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Timvp is in a dark place. My guess is hes still stuck in the bad part of Miami...which is basically the whole city except South Beach.

Brazil
11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Taco picking up like the Spurs tbh

Manufan909
11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks, TCF!

elbamba
11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
A very good breakdown. It seems to me like the Spurs as a team are focused on rebounding better. The two who seemed the most improved are Splitter and Green. I hope this continues.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
The fact that there's someone out there who also provides us with decent game thoughts hould serve as motivation for timvp to come back, tbh.

tbh I never thought of it that way. It's actually a lot more enjoyable watching the game and taking notes with writing this stuff in mind. Normally I just yell at the TV and my wife about missed rotations and sloppy passing.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
For every time that I see Ayres actually try and stop penetration I see 4 times that he just watches the play go by. I saw him do the 'stay vertical' thing once. You could tell when Splitter came out in terms of the interior defense.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
For every time that I see Ayres actually try and stop penetration I see 4 times that he just watches the play go by. I saw him do the 'stay vertical' thing once. You could tell when Splitter came out in terms of the interior defense.

I didn't see too much of that last night, I'll have to keep an eye out next game. I tallied up 4-5 instances of him contesting shots and doing a great job of it without fouling

BillMc
11-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

spurraider21
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
why doesn't timvp just post on his main account, tbh?

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
why doesn't timvp just post on his main account, tbh?

Quite possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

FuzzyLumpkins
11-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I didn't see too much of that last night, I'll have to keep an eye out next game. I tallied up 4-5 instances of him contesting shots and doing a great job of it without fouling

While I don't tally the totals, I pay close attention to Ayers interior defense. It's not difficult when you just have to look under the rim. I do recall him challenging one shot like you said and I was stunned because it was the first time. Most times he isn't even in the play at all. Like I said he watches from outside the key. I have the game on DVR and will try and rewatch it. I may very well have just missed what you are talking about.

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2013, 03:06 PM
A very good breakdown. It seems to me like the Spurs as a team are focused on rebounding better. The two who seemed the most improved are Splitter and Green. I hope this continues.

And Patty?

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Patty's rebounding hasn't popped off the screen to me yet, not surprising if he does do well on the boards with the amount of hustle he plays with

Stabula
11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
A little generous in some of your grading in my opinion but that's arbitrary seeing as your takes were solid. Thanks.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 03:21 PM
A little generous in some of your grading in my opinion but that's arbitrary seeing as your takes were solid. Thanks.

Tony and Kawhi probably could have come down a bit, were you thinking of others?

Stabula
11-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Tony and Kawhi probably could have come down a bit, were you thinking of others?

We're on the same page except I think Ayers should get a borderline F for some outrageously amateur mistakes most notably the 4 missed dunks. Maybe I'm being overly harsh but it was hard to watch.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 03:27 PM
We're on the same page except I think Ayers should get a borderline F for some outrageously amateur mistakes most notably the 4 missed dunks. Maybe I'm being overly harsh but it was hard to watch.

The dunks were definitely hard to forgive him for, but the laughs provided made it easier.

apalisoc_9
11-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Playnando's grades > your game thoughts tbh.....

Kidding..Great job btw. Two grey named spurs fan stepping up as usual.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Playnando's grades > your game thoughts tbh.....
Kidding..Great job btw. Two grey named spurs fan stepping up as usual.

:lol You had me for a second. I've been here since 2003 and mostly just lurk. This is the first year I've had League Pass because I usually streamed the games and missed a good chunk, so I would come here to fill the holes with Timvp's Game Thoughts. I really looked forward to the day after a game and reading his stuff, since he stopped it seems like a lot of the quality here has tanked and the place feels like its dying...to me at least.

spurs10
11-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Very nice Mr. Fajita! Thank you. God I hope Ayers can find redemption! He needs to be sure not to force it or it will be more of the same!

Splits
11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks. If I could make a suggestion, a screenshot of the Spurs box score would be a nice addition.

Aus10
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks TacoCabanaFajitas:toast

will_spurs
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks. If I could make a suggestion, a screenshot of the Spurs box score would be a nice addition.

It's there... and was there before you mentioned it :spin

elbamba
11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
And Patty?

I meant rebounding. Patty's overall play, especially his defense has been a big surprise to me.

Spur|n|Austin
11-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I meant rebounding. Patty's overall play, especially his defense has been a big surprise to me.

Gotcha

romain.star
11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I will visit ST after the Wizzards game, expecting more of Fajitas Game Thoughts

Great job man

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I'll do my best to keep getting them posted, probably have a bit of a drought starting on the 21st-Thanksgiving as I have to head home to Kansas City since my Great-Grandpa picked the Holidays to start dying of lung cancer. Then I'm heading to Tucson for Thanksgiving and it will be a few days before I'm back home in San Diego.

Splits
11-12-2013, 05:40 PM
It's there... and was there before you mentioned it :spin

doh! Not sure how I didn't see it

HI-FI
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
:lol You had me for a second. I've been here since 2003 and mostly just lurk. This is the first year I've had League Pass because I usually streamed the games and missed a good chunk, so I would come here to fill the holes with Timvp's Game Thoughts. I really looked forward to the day after a game and reading his stuff, since he stopped it seems like a lot of the quality here has tanked and the place feels like its dying...to me at least.

nah, I've had those thoughts and so have others according to comments. The site seems like the owners still pay for electric bill but other than that, it's Lord of the Flies style management. I appreciate the grades, good stuff, if you've got the drive to do them then keep em up.

Em-City
11-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the grades!!!!

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/clap%20clap%20clap/grand/1c2e75fb.gif

Trill Clinton
11-12-2013, 10:27 PM
:toast and yea i would have gave ayers an F. i really do miss the red rocket out there.

DMC
11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but sinking 5 of 25 isn't "righting the ship". He'll have to do much better going forward to make that happen.

DMC
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Also, I want our bigs throwing it down, not laying it up. We bitched at Tiago for being passive around the rim. We want a guy like Jeff being aggressive. We'll live with the growing pains. Tiago busted his ass early on and missed a couple, not a big deal.

Interrohater
11-13-2013, 01:00 AM
That is absolutely the case. There are some weird-ass threads being created and a lot of the "elite" posters are just bickering with one another. I've been lurking here since 2007, posting rarely since 2008, and it's definitely not what it used to be. I used to check Spurstalk everyday, still do, and there was actual NEWS, or real takes, real discussion. It's really started to slide off though.

Anyway, thanks for the grades and Game Thoughts. Nice job :tu

Raven
11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
the takes are solid, but the grades are way too inflated.

silverblackfan
11-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the grades and the write ups. It always help to get some conversation and takes on the game, especially if you don't monitor the game thread. Since I DVR most games, the game grades is usually where I like to discuss the game.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-13-2013, 09:19 AM
the takes are solid, but the grades are way too inflated.

The only people I felt a little generous with were TP and Kawhi honestly. They could've both been B's, but any time the team blows out a decent opponent with a core member sitting, it's hard to nitpick too much