PDA

View Full Version : Why does Jeff get more pt than Baynes

jermaine
11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Its clear that Baynes is the better all around player! He sure as hell not gonna miss 3 dunks. Baynes is better defensively. I just dont get Pop.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 07:28 PM
4 dunks.

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Last night there wasn't a big body to throw him against, I'm guessing you'll see more of him in this Wizards game

SupremeGuy
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
He's not allowing other teams to scout him.

/ciapop

jermaine
11-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Wth, Lol. Im hoping its so other teams can scout Ayers!

Hoops Czar
11-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Pop used to take players out of the game for dunking. I don't know how Ayres managed to last through 4 missed dunks.

11-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Pop used to take players out of the game for dunking. I don't know how Ayres managed to last through 4 missed dunks.

Stabula
11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I agree Baynes is the better all-around player and can even squeeze his way into a legitimate back up center role but for now Pop continues to play mad scientist with rotations.

jeebus
11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
He should get good mins against Gortat and Nene tomorrow, unless Useless comes back from his injury and takes all the big man bench minutes.

wildcardX
11-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I guess Ayres is used more for the smaller lineups, but I'm just guessing. I have not seen many games yet on TV. I do think Baynes needs more playing time to learn the NBA style and the Spurs system. Ayres has been in the NBA a few years already and has gotten his feet wet already, so I guess Pop trusts him more with the limited minutes.

Stabula
11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
He should get good mins against Gortat and Nene tomorrow, unless Useless comes back from his injury and takes all the big man bench minutes.

Bonner isn't that good but he really isn't as bad as people try to give him credit for.

Prime Time
11-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Baynes sucks. I have no idea why ST is so high on him, he has tiny hands and seems to always foul. Maybe the latter could be fixed with more playing time, but I fail to see the real advantage he has over Ayers other than his size. (But even then, Ayers is much quicker)

MaNu4Tres
11-12-2013, 10:01 PM
It's early, but so far the Ayres signing looks Jackie Butler-ish.

Granted he's in better shape and more ready than Butler was but after 8 games the guy just doesn't seem to have it. I understand it's a long season but so far he doesn't pass the eye test.

Seventyniner
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM

If Ayers had made one he would have been yanked.

exstatic
11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Its clear that Baynes is the better all around player! He sure as hell not gonna miss 3 dunks. Baynes is better defensively. I just dont get Pop.

Pop is personally trying to irritate you. He reads the forum and does the opposite of what you want.

ducks
11-12-2013, 10:41 PM
It's early, but so far the Ayres signing looks Jackie Butler-ish.

Granted he's in better shape and more ready than Butler was but after 8 games the guy just doesn't seem to have it. I understand it's a long season but so far he doesn't pass the eye test.

dude relaz spur players take one year to be a good player on the spur

ducks
11-12-2013, 10:42 PM
listening to mav homers though you would think blair was the second coming for the mavs

Johnny RIngo
11-12-2013, 10:59 PM
listening to mav homers though you would think blair was the second coming for the mavs

Compared to Ayres, Blair looks like an all-star. Not that I'd want Blair back on this team anyway. SA should have used their MLE money wisely instead of signing "project" players that aren't going to help in the short term.

Budkin
11-13-2013, 01:36 AM
There was a reason Ayres rode pine on the Pacers.

racm
11-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Baynes isn't much better and is a liability against teams without a legit big man or are more perimeter-oriented like Philly.

Sure, he can mess with an opposing big's head, but his P&R D is still iffy (though Ayres isn't much better).

Sean Cagney
11-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Baynes sucks. I have no idea why ST is so high on him, he has tiny hands and seems to always foul. Maybe the latter could be fixed with more playing time, but I fail to see the real advantage he has over Ayers other than his size. (But even then, Ayers is much quicker)

I agree he is very limited in his game IMO. He is a big body for some putbacks or can play some positional D because of that size, but other than that he is very limited in his game and I agree with you 100%.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-13-2013, 02:25 AM
:pop: "He plays good transition D and spreads the court with his 17ft jumper"

hooperflash
11-13-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm sure Jeff and Baynes get around the same amount of pootang, tbh.

http://i.imgflip.com/4i37o.gif

Ice009
11-13-2013, 03:13 AM
I'm not happy with Ayers at all. I am absolutely disgusted with his jumpshot and shooting form. I thought that this guy was supposed to be a decent mid-range shooter? Hopefully it's not nerves, because he shouldn't be pissing his pants out there at the start of the season. If he is, then I don't see him being helpful at all during the playoffs, in which case that brings me to - why the f%$% did the Spurs waste that much money on him?

I also thought that he was somewhat athletic, can jump and dunk, but from what I have seen so far it looks like he has very average hops. I mean, it looks like he can get up there and dunk quite easily, but he's just not a very explosive leaper, kinda like Splitter in a way, the problem there is, he's undersized, so he can't get away with it like Splitter. I also thought he would be a much better rebounder, so again, very disappointed in what I've seen from him so far. Defense, I won't get on him about that just yet, as he needs a lot more time out there to improve and learn the system, but all the other areas I thought that he would be good in, he just hasn't really shown much of anything, and you don't need to learn the system to show that you can rebound and shoot the ball.

chapnis
11-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Doesn't matter, they're both useless and won't see the floor come playoff time.

BillMc
11-13-2013, 04:10 AM
I have to say I'm disappointed in both of them.

racm
11-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I have to say I'm disappointed in both of them.

They won't make the rotation when it counts. Both of them are on the roster to eat up minutes to give Duncan a breather.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Baynes isn't much better and is a liability against teams without a legit big man or are more perimeter-oriented like Philly.

Sure, he can mess with an opposing big's head, but his P&R D is still iffy (though Ayres isn't much better).

I think he is just fine in zoning up behind the play action as the Spurs do. Chasing guys on the perimeter of course is an issue. I don't want him on Ryan Anderson for sure but you don't want Ayers out there either.

Ayers just doesn't protect the rim worth a damn.

spurspokesman
11-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Straight Bums

CaptainLate
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm not happy with Ayers at all. I am absolutely disgusted with his jumpshot and shooting form. I thought that this guy was supposed to be a decent mid-range shooter? Hopefully it's not nerves...why...did the Spurs waste that much money on him?
he ball.

Wasn't the Pacers asst coach who came over to the Spurs in the offseason the primary reason behind the signing?

Darius McCrary
11-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Jermaine, would you say Ayers is dumpsta juice status or should we give him more time?

Baam
11-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Because he will look dumb as hell if Ayres can't ever get it together after that off season... But I agree with you...

heyheymymy
11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
The rebounding from Jeff Ayres is what turned it around for us in the Denver game last week. We were dead in the water down about ten and Ayres hadn't played all game iirc, pop puts him in mid-3rd Q and he gets us a few rebs right off the bat and we started getting back in the game right then. I think he is just adjusting to the complex system, and he is getting used to the mins. I'm going to give him more than 8 games to figure it out. He is already setting nice screens, grabbing boards, and hustling up and down the court. He's just making noob mistakes right now, but once he knows where he is supposed to be, I think he will be a valuable asset.

ElNono
11-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I rather Ayers gets his burn now, and eventually loses his spot to Baynes later in the season...

TheGreatYacht
11-27-2013, 10:42 PM

freetiago
11-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Ayres is terrible
big weak link in the bench since hes a threat to do nothing
he plays center but Ginobili/Diaw are better rebounders then he is
imagine how good the bench would be with Splitter playing more with them then Ayres
with Diaw being aggressive the Manu/Splitter pick and roll with Diaw being freed up from help would be unstoppable

would rather have had Eric Dawson over Ayres tbh
he at least played hard and could actually hit the mid range shot

TheGoldStandard
11-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Indiana wanted no part of him, wasn't even in the equation and yet we run him out there with legit minutes..

TheGreatYacht
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Indiana wanted no part of him, wasn't even in the equation and yet we run him out there with legit minutes..

The "1st class" Front Office

Johnny RIngo
11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
My biggest issue with Ayres is why we're paying him 2 mil/year. He can't defend , can't rebound, turns the ball over a lot, and only plays well against crap teams during garbage time. He's another Matt Bonner but without the 3 point shooting. He's already 26 so it's not like there's a lot of room for improvement either.

TheGoldStandard
11-27-2013, 11:15 PM
My biggest issue with Ayres is why we're paying him 2 mil/year. He can't defend , can't rebound, turns the ball over a lot, and only plays well against crap teams during garbage time. He's another Matt Bonner but without the 3 point shooting. He's already 26 so it's not like there's a lot of room for improvement either.

He was making peanuts and was like the 4th big off Indiana's bench.. they wanted no part of him yet we took a vine on him for what? I don't see anything worth developing. He's constantly shuffling out of a play, doesn't protect the rim and can't score worth crap. Yet he's getting more minutes than Bonner or Baynes combined. Makes little sense.

Johnny RIngo
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
The "1st class" Front Office

SA"s front office is good but they do have their occasional hiccups...Jackie Butler, Beno, Nando, Jefferson, "the centerpiece"

Nobody's perfect. Makes the job even harder when you're trying to build your team around a sidekick-level player in Tony Parker.

DMC
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
These games are feeling out games. Pop is giving Jeff time to prove himself. He did it with Blair as well before he was benched in favor of McDyess.

TheGoldStandard
11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
These games are feeling out games. Pop is giving Jeff time to prove himself. He did it with Blair as well before he was benched in favor of McDyess.

2 minutes into the game you can tell he's not worth a second look. Dude can't do anything out there against a competent big.

DMC
11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
2 minutes into the game you can tell he's not worth a second look. Dude can't do anything out there against a competent big.

But you're paying him and he's there regardless. You cannot find out anything about him if he's on the bench. If you've gauged Baynes already, you already know what you have. I'm not that impressed with Baynes. He's a big guy, sure, but I think Jeff is getting enough rope to hang himself.

$pursDynasty
11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Baynes is a matchup thing the only person he could guard on the thunder is Perkins and we were letting Timmy hide on Perk so he wouldn't have to cover Ibaka. Ayers is more athletic so he can cover the Thunders bigs better. Baynes is a banger but only works good against other bangers, will get destroyed by lean athletic bigs. I like Baynes but I think in Pop' eyes his advantages on the boards and on offense don't outweigh his disadvantages guarding the other teams bigs.

TheGoldStandard
11-27-2013, 11:21 PM
But you're paying him and he's there regardless. You cannot find out anything about him if he's on the bench. If you've gauged Baynes already, you already know what you have. I'm not that impressed with Baynes. He's a big guy, sure, but I think Jeff is getting enough rope to hang himself.

Yes, you are paying him but you're paying Baynes and he didn't get that kind of rope with 1st team players and 2nd team players like Ayers is. I'm not saying it's a good idea but heck Bonner could use some more minutes to drive up interest in his expiring contract at the end of the season. I mean anything makes more sense than running that dude out there, it's 4 on 5.

TheGoldStandard
11-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Baynes is a matchup thing the only person he could guard on the thunder is Perkins and we were letting Timmy hide on Perk so he wouldn't have to cover Ibaka. Ayers is more athletic so he can cover the Thunders bigs better. Baynes is a banger but only works good against other bangers, will get destroyed by lean athletic bigs. I like Baynes but I think in Pop' eyes his advantages on the boards and on offense don't outweigh his disadvantages guarding the other teams bigs.

Ayers is very limited though, didn't make a difference with Ibaka tonight.. Might as well try different rotations. Heck I think Diaw probably has the best chance in that matchup

$pursDynasty
11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Ayers is very limited though, didn't make a difference with Ibaka tonight.. Might as well try different rotations. Heck I think Diaw probably has the best chance in that matchup
That might be the answer I was astounded at how well Diaw defended Lebron in the finals. If he can check BronBron he can check anyone.

RD2191
11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
:pop:

DMC
11-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Yes, you are paying him but you're paying Baynes and he didn't get that kind of rope with 1st team players and 2nd team players like Ayers is. I'm not saying it's a good idea but heck Bonner could use some more minutes to drive up interest in his expiring contract at the end of the season. I mean anything makes more sense than running that dude out there, it's 4 on 5.
More playing time for Bonner would mean a lower trade value, plus the Spurs aren't trading him. He'll retire first, I think.

TheGoldStandard
11-28-2013, 12:25 AM
More playing time for Bonner would mean a lower trade value, plus the Spurs aren't trading him. He'll retire first, I think.

So I guess we're saving Bonner for the playoffs.

Budkin
11-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Because of Jim Boylen

TheGoldStandard
11-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Because of Jim Boylen

Can we trade him too.

DMC
11-28-2013, 12:37 AM
So I guess we're saving Bonner for the playoffs.

No. Bonner is useless against teams that can close out on the 3 and guard the paint. Bonner spreads the floor, that's it and that's all. No way he gets an open look like he has been getting, and we've seen that he only hits when we're up big or it doesn't matter. The best defense against Matt Bonner is situational pressure.

TheGoldStandard
11-28-2013, 12:39 AM
No. Bonner is useless against teams that can close out on the 3 and guard the paint. Bonner spreads the floor, that's it and that's all. No way he gets an open look like he has been getting, and we've seen that he only hits when we're up big or it doesn't matter. The best defense against Matt Bonner is situational pressure.

This is true but Bonner has been known to put it on the floor once in a blue moon, Ayers on the other hand kind of just stands there watching the game both offensively and defensively.

Hoops Czar
11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
RC went dumpster diving this off season and he found himself a rock in Ayres. It's just pointless in using a player that's so inept in all phases of the game. Pure trash!

jARS mEsH sEt
11-28-2013, 01:05 AM
They're both pretty bad, to be honest.

ElNono
11-28-2013, 02:42 AM
I was watching the game today, and I think I understand Pop's thought process about him. I think he views Ayres as a "tough" player. Not a afraid to bang/mix it up. Blue collar, kind of a Tiago-lite.

When we're playing soft front-courts, Bonner gets the minutes. When we play more rugged front courts, Ayers gets the nod.

I still think this is still an observation stage. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I don't think he would see the floor much at all unless there's foul trouble, etc.