PDA

View Full Version : Philippines Relief Effort

JamStone
11-13-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm Filipino, so obviously the devastation from the typhoon hits very close to home. My brother is just finishing up his service with the Navy and after he's done, he and his wife had planned a trip (many months ago) to visit the Philippines next month. It was supposed to be a short vacation before they transition from military life back to civilian life. But with everything that happened with the typhoon, they decided to devote their time and effort helping victims while they are there.

My sister-in-law set up the following page: https://sites.google.com/site/typhoonrelieffund/

It's nothing fancy. Just their story on how they plan to help and some pictures. In short, my sister-in-law has a cousin who is involved with the relief effort in Manila. And so any type of financial help is greatly appreciated. I pretty much don't ever donate to things like this, so I understand if you don't. But for perspective, 1 American dollar is the equivalent to about 43 Filipino pesos. That single dollar could help feed a person a meal in some areas. And right now, that certainly goes a long, long way. Part of the money raised is devoted to food and water, and some will help in rebuilding houses and such.

Check out the site. Read their short story. Some of you may have already donated to the Red Cross or other organizations to help. Thank you. Some of you just don't donate to things like this. I understand. But I figure even if I get only one person on here to donate $5, well that's 5 more dollars that will help some people who desperately need it out there. If you do nothing else but send your thoughts and prayers their way, it's appreciated. If you can do more, awesome.

DeadlyDynasty
11-13-2013, 10:05 AM
I'll be in a position to donate generously around Christmas time, and will do so. I joke about these disasters, but as long as it's not Haiti I'm down to help out.

Wild Cobra
11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Tell you what.

I'm don't give though personal web sites, but if you find a reputable national or international charity that has good ratings of getting the money to the cause, I'll donate a chunk of cash.

JamStone
11-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Tell you what.

I'm don't give though personal web sites, but if you find a reputable national or international charity that has good ratings of getting the money to the cause, I'll donate a chunk of cash.

Yeah, I understand. I've never donated through a website either. I think my sister-in-law just created the site last minute because she and my brother are leaving for the Philippines on December 2nd. So it's kind of a spur of the moment thing before they leave. If you can't or don't wish to donate through them, I completely understand. It's not like you know them like I know them. And there are already stories about looters in the Philippines. Just a sad situation all around.

But I appreciate your thoughts and prayers regardless.

JamStone
11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
I'll be in a position to donate generously around Christmas time, and will do so. I joke about these disasters, but as long as it's not Haiti I'm down to help out.

Awesome. By then, you can go through the Red Cross. My brother and sister-in-law leave for the Philippines on December 2nd, so they are taking donations until November 27th. But whenever and through whomever you can help, that's great.

hater
11-13-2013, 06:55 PM
yeah it sucks that when you donate, it's like russian roulette. Your money MIGHT end up being used to help ppl, or not.

when Haiti happened I used Doctor's without borders cause I heard they legit. I will probably do that again with this disaster :cry

Dirk Oneanddoneski
11-13-2013, 07:07 PM
How about we send some Fillybe@ners back from the USA to Fillybeanland where they belong? They can help out with the relief effort and stay!