PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: dejuan blair = defense

playblair
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM

blair haters stop spreading the myth blair = no defense .............................

Leetonidas
11-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Steals don't equal defense moron. Blair showed for years he is a shit defender with a poor attitude. Get off his dick tbh

:cry he's averaging a lot of steals less than 10 games into the season, what a defensive beast :cry

jeebus
11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
blair = cumdumpster slut

Hoops Czar
11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Steals don't equal defense? What are they, miscellaneous stats? I'll be sure to remember this when Belinelli gets a steal.

DMC
11-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Steals don't equal defense? What are they, miscellaneous stats? I'll be sure to remember this when Belinelli gets a steal.

Steals are steals just as defensive rebounds don't equal defense. When you force a turnover because the clock expires because the opponent cannot get up a shot, or they cannot inbound the ball because you're smothering them, or you deny them at the rim, that's defense. Showing hard on the pick and roll, forcing a 2nd or 3rd option pass, that's defense. Gambling in the lane or swatting the ball away from a dribbler, that's an offensive move to get the ball. Defense is defending the rim. Steals help build transition points and points off turnovers, but there are plenty instances where a team with poor defense has a lot of steals, depending on how the game is being played.

Rogue
11-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Steals are steals just as defensive rebounds don't equal defense. When you force a turnover because the clock expires because the opponent cannot get up a shot, or they cannot inbound the ball because you're smothering them, or you deny them at the rim, that's defense. Showing hard on the pick and roll, forcing a 2nd or 3rd option pass, that's defense. Gambling in the lane or swatting the ball away from a dribbler, that's an offensive move to get the ball. Defense is defending the rim. Steals help build transition points and points off turnovers, but there are plenty instances where a team with poor defense has a lot of steals, depending on how the game is being played.
The grape really tastes sore, doesn't it? If defensive rebounds and steals don't reflect a player's ability in defense then what else do you use to measure his ability in that regard? Sure my nigga blair ain't the best one-on-one defender out there, as he may lose his man in defense and he can barely block any shots due to his limited size, but you're obviously turning a blind eye to the glaring facts if you say our team ain't benefiting from this nigga. The prime Ron Artest also played defense in a similarly aggressive manner, pressuring the opponents all over the floor just like my nigga Blair currently does. Although Artest wasn't that good in team defense like Shane Battier or Bruce Bowen, you still can't say Ron was less a defender than anyone. Dude had his own way to make a significant impact on the game imho.

Phillip
11-13-2013, 07:43 PM
blair sucks

good offensive rebounder and gets junk points. not much else. his defense is atrocious.

Rogue
11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ears anyway. If he played hardcore D he would've easily earned 10+ millions a year. His defensive awareness might be "atrocious" but he's still probably the best backup for Dirk we've got in years tbh. Plus he gives you a presence in the paint, whose value you'll see when you confront the Lakers or other teams featuring softass bigs imho. Blair is slightly better than Glen Davis, at the very least.

DMC
11-13-2013, 08:16 PM
The grape really tastes sore, doesn't it? If defensive rebounds and steals don't reflect a player's ability in defense then what else do you use to measure his ability in that regard? Sure my nigga blair ain't the best one-on-one defender out there, as he may lose his man in defense and he can barely block any shots due to his limited size, but you're obviously turning a blind eye to the glaring facts if you say our team ain't benefiting from this nigga. The prime Ron Artest also played defense in a similarly aggressive manner, pressuring the opponents all over the floor just like my nigga Blair currently does. Although Artest wasn't that good in team defense like Shane Battier or Bruce Bowen, you still can't say Ron was less a defender than anyone. Dude had his own way to make a significant impact on the game imho.

Let's look at different players in terms of defensive acumen vs steals

Last year's All NBA 1st Team:

Lebron James
Serge Ibaka
Tony Allen
Chris Paul
Joakim Noah

Lebron averaged .6 steals per game last season
Serge averaged 0.0 steals per game
Tony Allen averaged 2.3 steals a game
Chris Paul averaged 2.4 steals a game
Noah averaged 1.7 steals a game

So by those numbers, Chris Paul is the best defender in the league and Serge is by far the worst, even worse than Danny Green who averaged .9 steals per game.

Why didn't Danny Green make the 1st team?

Easy... because defensive ability is the ability to defend against scoring. It's not based on the ability to steal the ball. The best defenders of all time weren't great at stealing the ball. Bruce Bowen was one of the best lock down defenders of our generation and he averaged only 1.2 steals a game.

So Danny Green is a better defender than Lebron James.

Your team would benefit from a guy who can play team defense as well as one on one. If he can play neither, what defense is he good at? He swats at the ball. If you factor in how many times he gives up the goal because of his steal attempts, you'd probably be in the negative on the +/-.

Blair got no minutes in a system that preaches defense and gives even the most unheard of player minutes if he can play even a lick of defense. Blair's inability to play defense isn't about his size. It's about his mentality. He doesn't know what's going on out there, and he's in a pickup game any time he steps on the floor. Loaded with potential, tons of freaky rebounding ability, but too stump stupid to make good use of it.

Trust me, I tried.

Kevin Love gets 30 rebounds a night. He can't defend for shit.

Rogue
11-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Marion is still our best defensive player all-roundly, and I believe my nigga Blair will learn from Marion's game and make improvements himself gradually. Even as the player (with "atrocious" defense) he currently is, he's still the 3rd or even arguably the 2nd best big in our rotation. And I like your comparison of him to Love, dude's a cheap man's black version of Kevin Love for us imho.

DMC
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
So basically Dejuan's lack of stops other than his few steals makes him a shitty defender. Sure, if he stole the ball on every possession, he's a beast on defense. I'm sure he'll have a decent showing here and there, but bump this when he's out there flinging the ball over the backboard behind his back instead of pulling down the rebound.

DMC
11-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Marion is still our best defensive player all-roundly, and I believe my nigga Blair will learn from Marion's game and make improvements himself gradually. Even as the player (with "atrocious" defense) he currently is, he's still the 3rd or even arguably the 2nd best big in our rotation. And I like your comparison of him to Love, dude's a cheap man's black version of Kevin Love for us imho.

Don't know, he started alongside one of the best defenders ever in Tim Duncan, but he didn't learn much.

monosylab1k
11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Reminds me of a young Charles Barkley tbh

Lincoln
11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Reminds me of a young Charles Barkley tbh

:lmao gnsf