Solid D
07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2117399

Updated: July 26, 2005, 10:27 PM ET
Brown's agent says offer made, contract not final
Associated Press
Related Video:
Brown talks with reporters about his future

NEW YORK -- Larry Brown has been offered a contract by the New York Knicks to become the franchise's 22nd head coach, his agent said Tuesday.

"An offer has been made, but that doesn't mean a contract has been completed. Nothing has been finalized," said Joe Glass, Brown's longtime agent.

No formal announcement of Brown's hiring was expected Wednesday, making Thursday the most likely day that Brown will sit at a podium alongside team president Isiah Thomas and owner James Dolan to make things absolutely, positively official.

That scenario, of course, can only happen if there are no snags.

And with the 64-year-old Brown, who has coached seven NBA teams and two college teams, the likelihood of a snag can never be underestimated.

"We're making progress, and we're continuing to talk at this point," Knicks spokesman Joe Favorito said Tuesday.

Glass was not sure when contract negotiations might wrap up.

"Too hard to say," said Glass, 80, whose son has been an agent for several NBA players. "There's no time factor as far as we're concerned. We'll get it done as soon as we get it done."

Brown had dinner Monday night with Thomas and interim coach Herb Williams, a meeting that Brown described as "positive." Brown had been uneasy about the prospect of displacing Williams as coach.

"That was a huge obstacle for me, not for him," Brown said. "It's not at all anymore."

Brown's wife, Shelly, had been concerned about her husband's health. Brown missed 17 games last season due to a hip replacement operation that led to a bladder problem, and Brown underwent his third surgery in nine months shortly after the Pistons lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs.

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic told Brown he needed rest, and he and his wife have decided he'll get enough of it during the next two months before training camp begins.

Brown's two young children also are enthused about the move to New York.

"No one wants this to drag on," Shelly Brown said. "I know everyone's on the same page."

The Knicks' hiring of Brown would come a little more than a week after he parted ways with the Detroit Pistons after two seasons -- both of which ended with trips to the NBA Finals.

Trying to turn the rebuilding Knicks into a winner would be the latest challenge for Brown in a nomadic NBA coaching career that has included stints with the Philadelphia 76ers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets. Brown also coached collegiately at Kansas and UCLA, and his first professional coaching job was with the Carolina Cougars of the ABA.

Brown was the coach of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team that finished a disappointing third. Part of that roster included Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, who would be reunited with Brown.

New York reportedly is willing to offer Brown a five-year contract worth between $50 million and $60 million.

Still unclear is what role Williams would have with the Knicks under Brown, and which of New York's current assistant coaches might remain with the club.

Williams' head coaching contract expires Sunday, but his assistant coaching contract has another year left. The Knicks finished 33-49 last season and missed the playoffs for the third time in four years.

Guru of Nothing
07-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Why was there no vBookie on this?

Dex
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Man, nobody saw this one coming. :blah

Hometown or not, Brown must be just as dumb as Isiah for going from the 2-time Finalists, once-Champion Pistons to the Why-The-Hell-Are-We-In-The-League-Anymore Knicks. What a knob.

danyel
07-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Isiah's best move ever?

ZStomp
07-26-2005, 11:45 PM

How can you have VBookie on something that is certain?

Seriously though, what is up with Brown?

shyne
07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
On espn news it just said they have agreed in principle on a deal

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 12:54 AM
we should have a Vbookie on who Larry will be coaching in 2007

xcoriate
07-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Its hard to respect him when he keeps doing this.

SenorSpur
07-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Funny how all of a sudden Brown's health isn't as much of an issue with the Knicks as it was while he was in Detroit. He and his agent were unable to give assurances to Pistons management that he'd be able to coach the entire season. All of a sudden, he and his wife make the claim that he needs only two months rest and doesn't expect his health to be an issue.

Can you say snow job? I guess a 2-month stay at their Hamptons vacation home, along with a dip in the calming waters of the Atlantic, must have theraputic effects.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Funny how all of a sudden Brown's health isn't as much of an issue with the Knicks as it was while he was in Detroit. He and his agent were unable to give assurances to Pistons management that he'd be able to coach the entire season. All of a sudden, he and his wife make the claim that he needs only two months rest and doesn't expect his health to be an issue.

Can you say snow job? I guess a 2-month stay at their Hamptons vacation home, along with a dip in the calming waters of the Atlantic, must have theraputic effects.
He'll probably have to wear a diaper on the sidelines next season. :smokin

milkyway21
07-27-2005, 02:28 AM
actually, Foxsports reports BROWN ACCEPTED KNICKS JOB ALREADY

Reports: Brown accepts Knicks job
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Larry Brown has been offered a contract by the New York Knicks to become the franchise's 22nd head coach, his agent said Tuesday. And according to reports in the New York Times and Newday, the wandering coach will indeed make Madison Square Garden his new home.

"(He's) made his decision that he wants to coach the Knicks," Glass told the Times. "Now it's up to the Knicks and myself to come up with an arrangement that works for both parties."
According to both the Times and Newsday, that arrangement could be hammered out as early as Wednesday, with a formal announcement of the hire likely happening Thursday.

Also...

"There's some other things to hash out, but there's nothing definitive at this point," Glass said. "A lot of things can happen between the talk and the execution. I'm only secure when it's done."

That scenario, of course, can only happen if there are no snags.

And with the 64-year-old Brown, who has coached seven NBA teams and two college teams, the likelihood of a snag can never be underestimated.

"We're making progress, and we're continuing to talk at this point," Knicks spokesman Joe Favorito said to the Associated Press Tuesday.

Glass was not sure when contract negotiations might wrap up.

"Too hard to say," said Glass, 80, whose son has been an agent for several NBA players. "There's no time factor as far as we're concerned. We'll get it done as soon as we get it done."

Brown had dinner Monday night with Thomas and interim coach Herb Williams, a meeting that Brown described as "positive." Brown had been uneasy about the prospect of displacing Williams as coach.

"That was a huge obstacle for me, not for him," Brown said. "It's not at all anymore."

Brown's wife, Shelly, had been concerned about her husband's health. Brown missed 17 games last season due to a hip replacement operation that led to a bladder problem, and Brown underwent his third surgery in nine months shortly after the Pistons lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs.

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic told Brown he needed rest, and he and his wife have decided he'll get enough of it during the next two months before training camp begins.

Brown's two young children also are enthused about the move to New York.

"No one wants this to drag on," Shelly Brown said. "I know everyone's on the same page."

The Knicks' hiring of Brown would come a little more than a week after he parted ways with the Detroit Pistons after two seasons - both of which ended with trips to the NBA Finals.

Trying to turn the rebuilding Knicks into a winner would be the latest challenge for Brown in a nomadic NBA coaching career that has included stints with the Philadelphia 76ers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets. Brown also coached collegiately at Kansas and UCLA, and his first professional coaching job was with the Carolina Cougars of the ABA.

Brown was the coach of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team that finished a disappointing third. Part of that roster included Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, who would be reunited with Brown.

New York reportedly is willing to offer Brown a five-year contract worth between $50 million and $60 million.

Still unclear is what role Williams would have with the Knicks under Brown, and which of New York's current assistant coaches might remain with the club.

Williams' head coaching contract expires Sunday, but his assistant coaching contract has another year left. The Knicks finished 33-49 last season and missed the playoffs for the third time in four years.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3830358

ZStomp
07-27-2005, 05:19 AM

Yea.

What's his problem?

CubanMustGo
07-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Terminal wanderlust. He has a huge ego/self-respect issue. He constantly wants to have people saying what a great guy he is and what a great job he is doing. After he has heard it in one spot he gets insecure and thinks he's being BS'd, so he goes somewhere else where he can hear fresh praise about his mad coaching skills.

That's what is so unfortunate about LB. He IS one of the best basketball coaches you can find on the planet, but his inner demons won't let him stay in one place for long.

Spurologist
07-27-2005, 08:52 AM

That's what he does. He is trying to play the right way.

Manu20
07-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Updated: July 27, 2005, 8:04 PM ET
Knicks will be Brown's eighth NBA coaching stop

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2118178

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks' deal with Larry Brown is done.

Brown's agent worked out the final details of contract language with team executives Wednesday, clearing the way for the Knicks to introduce Brown as the 22nd head coach in franchise history.

The team called a news conference for noon Thursday at Madison Square Garden, where the buzz could be coming back after nearly a half-decade of malaise.

Less than 10 days after his divorce from the Detroit Pistons was finalized, Brown moved onto a new job where he'll be trading down in talent but up in salary and sentiment.

The Knicks were Brown's favorite team when he was growing up in Brooklyn, and the eighth stop on his NBA coaching carousel will truly be a "dream job" -- just what Brown called it earlier this year.

He'll join a long list of distinguished coaches -- including Joe Lapchick, Red Holzman, Pat Riley and Lenny Wilkens -- who have guided one of the NBA's charter franchises.

samikeyp
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Officially the worst kept secret in sports. Should be fun his first game back in the Palace this year.

jochhejaam
07-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Larry's a great coach but I lost respect for him as a person. I sincerely hope his health issues are resolved but I hope the Knicks have another 30 win season.

Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points they almost always win.
Doug Collins

milkyway21
07-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Larry's a great coach but I lost respect for him as a person. I sincerely hope his health issues are resolved but I hope the Knicks have another 30 win season.any reason WHY some people lost respect on Larry Brown?

i asked because i also read comments from Detroit owner Davidson..

If he's indeed comfortable with his health, there's no better time than the present to stick it to Pistons owner Bill Davidson, who made the statement earlier this week that "whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give them (Detroit fans) somebody that's not a good person."
:rolleyes

With that comment still fresh, Brown can go build something substantial in the world's largest media market. He can cement his reputation in an atmosphere that's going to give him preferential treatment because of how candid and accessible he is with the media, and how understandably difficult the situation he inherits. He can safely play savior, as no one will be calling for his head.

what makes him NOT a good person?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
what makes him NOT a good person?

Probably the fact that he's as much of a glory hog/money whore as any of your favorite players to hate (Kobe, Ray, Vince, etc.).

The guy sells out more often than a hooker on dollar blow job night.

jochhejaam
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=milkyway21]any reason WHY some people lost respect on Larry Brown?

Flirting with other teams, Knicks and Cavs, while coaching the Pistons.

Someone equated his "New York would be my dream job" comments in the middle of the season to a man being married and naming someone who would be his "dream wife".

Courting the Cavs while coaching in the NBA finals.

Can you imagine Pops doing those things? I can't.

CaptainLate
07-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Terminal wanderlust. He has a huge ego/self-respect issue. He constantly wants to have people saying what a great guy he is and what a great job he is doing. After he has heard it in one spot he gets insecure and thinks he's being BS'd, so he goes somewhere else where he can hear fresh praise about his mad coaching skills.

I don't see what Pop sees in people like that. But they (Brown and Knicks) deserve each other. His "dream" job will turn into a nightmare with 2 losing seasons and the NY media relentlessly on Brown. He'll quit and "retire" for good.

milkyway21
07-28-2005, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE]

Flirting with other teams, Knicks and Cavs, while coaching the Pistons.

Someone equated his "New York would be my dream job" comments in the middle of the season to a man being married and naming someone who would be his "dream wife".

Courting the Cavs while coaching in the NBA finals.

Can you imagine Pops doing those things? I can't.okay, i understand :cry

it's so sad things like these happen to a good coach as Brown. you work hard to build a reputation for years then just by a click turn it into waste...losing some friends and some fans who at one time were cheering for you.

Horry For 3!
07-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Because it was too easy for me atleast. I already knew he was going to the Knicks for awhile now.