PDA

View Full Version : why are so many people still reluctant to seek mental health treatment?

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
i was talking to my neighbor last night and he was telling me he found out his son was a 'cutter' but he doesn't think its serious because other kids at school are doing it. so i ask him if he was going to get some counseling for his son to see if he's suffering from anxiety or deppression and he said nope. he's going to take sharp objects out of his room and keep an eye on him.http://i43.tinypic.com/25hn9c0.png

he's basically refusing to admit his son needs professional help and was shocked i even suggested it. he then went on about psychiatrists and counselors being scam artists and when he was a kid how there was no such thing as kids being depressed or having anxiety. i tried for over an hour to convince him there is nothing wrong with having a mental illness or at least getting an evaluation before i gave up.

i'm thinking about calling CPS on him for not getting some medical attention for his son. i'll give him another week and if i don't see any signs of improvement or if he doesn't tell me he made an appointment, i'm calling in a report.

DeadlyDynasty
11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
How old is the kid in this hypothetical?

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 11:49 AM
he's hypthetically 12

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Hypothetically, is this kid reaching out for help now?

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
hypothetically, i don't talk to any of the children or interact with them. the only time i hypothetically see the kid is in passing or if he's walking the dog. my neighbor is going through a nasty divorce and was granted temporary custody of his son till the next court hearing. so i'm assuming the divorce has something to do with his behavior.

DeadlyDynasty
11-14-2013, 11:57 AM
How well do you know this hypothetical neighbor? If he really didn't think it was a big deal then why did he feel the need to confide in you about it? What was his disposition when he broke news?

mrsmaalox
11-14-2013, 12:05 PM
It's a sad situation Trill. If you know the kid's name and where he goes to school, you could always call the school nurse----tell her about the conversation and what you know about the divorce and that dad thinks it's just what the kids at school are doing. At least that way you know someone else will eyeball the kid and if there is a problem, dad will hear about it from someone in a position of authority. Probably most folks would tell you to mind your own beeswax, but I'm like you and I think any kids' welfare IS my beeswax.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:06 PM
How well do you know this hypothetical neighbor? If he really didn't think it was a big deal then why did he feel the need to confide in you about it? What was his disposition when he broke news?

i been there hypothetically for a year and he's been there for almost 2, i think. i don't know why he decided to tell me about the boy's cutting. i suppose since he didn't think it was serious, he didn't expect me to suggest he go see a doctor. he was pretty straight forward and matter of fact when telling me.

i don't want to call CPS but maybe this will be the push he needs to have the boy checked out.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Hypothetically, would the 12 yr old kid like some links to places where he could get help? Are you... I mean is the 12yr old ready to get help?

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:12 PM
It's a sad situation Trill. If you know the kid's name and where he goes to school, you could always call the school nurse----tell her about the conversation and what you know about the divorce and that dad thinks it's just what the kids at school are doing. At least that way you know someone else will eyeball the kid and if there is a problem, dad will hear about it from someone in a position of authority. Probably most folks would tell you to mind your own beeswax, but I'm like you and I think any kids' welfare IS my beeswax.

i didn't even think about telling the nurse. maybe the teacher saw the marks on his arms and have already made a report? i usually mind my own business and i don't like being nosey, but when someobody tells me something like that, i don't want something bad to happen and i have to ask myself "what if"?

plus in live in san antonio and it seems like there is a CPS case on the news every day.

Are you fucking kidding me? Dude mind your own business! That's not your kid. Did you know you don't have to let CPS in your house? Make sure you tell them you played knock out first.

fool i haven't even called CPS yet calm down lol. i want to give it a little more time before i even make the report. but believe me, if he tells me his son is still cutting or if he brushes proffessional help off again, i'm making that call.

DeadlyDynasty
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
He's probably just confused…11-12 is a strange age. Your classmates start sprouting tits around that time so it's very exciting.

mrsmaalox
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
He's probably just confused…11-12 is a strange age. Your classmates start sprouting tits around that time so it's very exciting.

LOL imagine how confusing it is for the one sprouting the tits!

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

maybe. i just never heard of cutting before last night.

Won't do shit but fuck that family up more.

how would it fuck up the family? if the kid is deppressed or 'cutting' then wouldn't getting some help do the family some good?

benefactor
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
CPS barely helps out in real cases of neglect. If you call them and tell them your neighbors kid is a cutter and the parents aren't doing anything about it they will either tell you it's not enough to investigate or they will get the information from you and forget you called as soon as they hang up. That's the way it is with those guys.

As far as your question in the thread title, it would be easier for people to seek treatment if there were more awareness programs in the schools/communities and if treatment was actually easy to access. The key to those two becoming reality is the state has to start giving a fuck first. Texas has always been near the bottom in mental health funding(they were dead last from 2006-09) and the extra funding they passed over the summer in response to Sandy Hook is basically a "hey, look what we did" move. Honestly, I don't see any of it changing anytime soon.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:30 PM
CPS barely helps out in real cases of neglect. If you call them and tell them your neighbors kid is a cutter and the parents aren't doing anything about it they will either tell you it's not enough to investigate or they will get the information from you and forget you called as soon as they hang up. That's the way it is with those guys.

As far as your question in the thread title, it would be easier for people to seek treatment if there were more awareness programs in the schools/communities and if treatment was actually easy to access. The key to those two becoming reality is the state has to start giving a fuck first. Texas has always been near the bottom in mental health funding(they were dead last from 2006-09) and the extra funding they passed over the summer in response to Sandy Hook is basically a "hey, look what we did" move. Honestly, I don't see any of it changing anytime soon.

i didn't know CPS was so nonchalant about abuse or neglect reports. i just find it odd that people wont just go see a psychiatrist, counselor or some other professional and have them assess the problem. it might not be anything serious but at least you know for sure.

State help is a joke Trill. Now you've just documented with the state that this kid is cutting himself. For what ever reason stupid ass teenagers do this shit and grow out of it. As his father I'd whoop his ass. That's the problem with kids, not enough ass beatings.

yea cuz whooping his hass is going to work:rolleyes i grew up in a home where getting spanked was how we were disciplined and that shit is not an effective way to parent, word.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Maybe your Daddy didn't spank hard enough? Seems that way tbh.

bruh, you gotta chill.

benefactor
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
i didn't know CPS was so nonchalant about abuse or neglect reports. i just find it odd that people wont just go see a psychiatrist, counselor or some other professional and have them assess the problem. it might not be anything serious but at least you know for sure.
If it were that easy, more people would do it. If you don't have insurance you are basically fucked...and even if you have insurance the wait to get in to see a private psychiatrist is usually weeks to months.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:44 PM
some bullshit. it should be easy and widely available to get mental health treatment and it should be a focus amongst our leaders. i think a lot of people are walking around here with a variety of undiagnosed mental illnesses and they dont eem know it.

just like schools do hearing tests, eye exams and make sure children have their immunizations. they need to have a psychiatrist on site to do mental health checks, word. take it out of my taxes, i don't mind.

DeadlyDynasty
11-14-2013, 12:47 PM
This reeks of bad parenting, but we don't have the gift of context in this situation that Trill does, so hard to say for sure. Mass beatings isn't the way to go, but neither are chemicals at this stage. Just talk to/listen to your kid.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:49 PM
:lol alright. This shit hits home for me. I don't have time now but maybe I'll let you in when I do. Some people use these reports as intimidation to get what they want.

i don't doubt it. i can see the entire westside of SA making false reports because they don't like their boyfriend's baby mama. that's probably why CPS doesn't really take some of the reporst seriously.

thats unfortunate you have CPS history and shame on whoever made those reports against you. but i think i'm doing it from a sincere and genuince persepective.

Trill Clinton
11-14-2013, 12:53 PM
This reeks of bad parenting, but we don't have the gift of context in this situation that Trill does, so hard to say for sure. Mass beatings isn't the way to go, but neither are chemicals at this stage. Just talk to/listen to your kid.

i do think some medication is needed in extreme cases, but like you said, most of these kids need someone to talk to and a lot of parents lack those communication skills in cases like this. i don't see them being as patient as a professional.

Creepn
11-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Remember in HS when I spoke to this emo girl about it. I asked her, "Why do you do that?", she said, "Sometimes my mind feels like it's in a box so the only way I can get out of that box is by cutting myself.". I didn't really take stuff like that seriously at that age and just judge her as a weirdo and walked away.

Wonder if she grew out of that...

mrsmaalox
11-14-2013, 12:54 PM
some bullshit. it should be easy and widely available to get mental health treatment and it should be a focus amongst our leaders. i think a lot of people are walking around here with a variety of undiagnosed mental illnesses and they dont eem know it.

just like schools do hearing tests, eye exams and make sure children have their immunizations. they need to have a psychiatrist on site to do mental health checks, word. take it out of my taxes, i don't mind.

The school systems do have all those resources and are obligated to act once they are aware of a problem. That's why I say just drop it in their lap---if CPS needs to be contacted they will do it and with a little more clout than just "a concerned neighbor".

xmas1997
11-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Nope I had to fight it. Not on Record. When you're a GREAT father and someone reports that you're NOT drives a Daddy to fight until he wins or dies. Ok I'll tell you a little bit. My sister is a scamming biznatch and her husband. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing but they were after my Mom and Dads Life insurance policy. They stole over 120k from my Mom and Dad. My Mom and Dad are old and easily manipulated unfortunately. So they figured they would call CPS and let them know I smoke weed. Now they have something over me. Now they THOUGHT they could just scam my parents as much as they wanted. So I called ADP Adult Protective Services. < They are also a joke. But it did help as far as uncovering their scam. It's a big scam going on now because of the economy. Elderly Financial Abuse or Exploitation. It's been a long hard fight..

Good luck to you and yours.

The Gemini Method
11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I lost a good friend to depression and sometimes it is difficult for someone to realize they need help. I know she was one of them and even on the request of us for her to seek help she was too stubborn to admit that something was amiss and the struggle was real. I'm not sure why others do not seek the help that is out there. Maybe the situation seems beyond the scope of ever finding a better place and they take the most damaging route out of life's struggles.

xmas1997
11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks xmas. But good luck to them. I'm making a facebook page for them and letting the truth be known. Everytime I e-mail my sister about it I get veiled threats like "GOd Bless You and Your Family!!" "God Bless You!!" "Good Luck to You and Yours!!!" She will not comunicate by e-mail and just says my Mom and Dad are nuts.

Your only defense, and offense, is twofold - forgiveness.
And shower them with as much humor as you can.
Laughter is ........ well, you already know.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Remember in HS when I spoke to this emo girl about it. I asked her, "Why do you do that?", she said, "Sometimes my mind feels like it's in a box so the only way I can get out of that box is by cutting myself.". I didn't really take stuff like that seriously at that age and just judge her as a weirdo and walked away.

Wonder if she grew out of that...

She didn't.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/42289-25548.gif

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2013, 03:38 PM
some people don't know they need help

bigzak25
11-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Trill, do your duty and give that boy some weed, stat!

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I wish that were true but forgiveness puts my family in danger. My sisters husbands family is apart of this whole scam. I'm fighting about 15 purto ricans right now. I've never owned a gun before all this. I'm fucking stacked now.

Puerto Ricans? Those are the worst type of Mexicans.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Oh and you wonder why I hate Christians. All they talk about is God and Joel fucking holesteam.

So you lump them all together? Makes sense.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 03:45 PM
The worst type of Mexicans in order:

Puerto Ricans
Dominicans
Mexicans
El Salvadorians

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm not perfect. You're right. I shouldn't. Just hate Christians that use Christ to cover up their evil ways.

Now THAT makes sense.

LeBomb and I are going to fight behind the Lowes sometimes soon. You should meet up with us and take out some of your agreesion. You can fight the winner. First rule though... you don't talk about our little club that involves fighting. I'll think of a good name for it later

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that sounds fun tbh. Just no fucking cops man.

I used to fuck a cop. Well at the time she worked for Bexar County Sheriffs dept.. She is an Austin cop now.
I'm married now and the wifey isn't a cop so you don't have to worry about that from me.

DJR210
11-14-2013, 04:12 PM
how would it fuck up the family? if the kid is deppressed or 'cutting' then wouldn't getting some help do the family some good?

CPS may end up taking the kid out of the home which would probably get them into a home with a more involved guardian, but if you were that kid would you want to removed from your home and placed somewhere else? Even if that meant being placed with a relative, if I was the kid I would want to be in my home with my parents unless they were severely abusing me.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
:lol Awesome. Being with what I'm dealing with it's in my best interest not to get in any trouble right now. Waiting to go to court for a restraining order. I don't need "fighting behind Lowes with I Hustle" on my record.

So you immediately recognize that I would whip LeBombs ass. Makes sense. You know I would.

The Gemini Method
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
The worst type of Mexicans in order:

Puerto Ricans
Dominicans
Mexicans
El Salvadorians Hustle...you got Salvatruchas too low on the Mexican lists...they're up there wit 'em Ricans.

DPG21920
11-14-2013, 05:10 PM
At least the boy has a father. That alone goes a long way to making it through tough times usually.

I. Hustle
11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Hustle...you got Salvatruchas too low on the Mexican lists...they're up there wit 'em Ricans.

You are right. I forgot about MS3 or MS13 or whatever the hell it is. All I know is it stands for Mexican Salvadorians, right?

The Gemini Method
11-14-2013, 05:17 PM
You are right. I forgot about MS3 or MS13 or whatever the hell it is. All I know is it stands for Mexican Salvadorians, right?
Yeah that's what it stands for but out here in L.A. they are way more stupid and obnoxious and their women are treacherous...more so than the traditional Messicans.

Frank Dux
11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I believe people don't seek mental health support for a few reasons:

1. Stigma
2. Cost barriers
3. Perceived cost barriers

The Gemini Method
11-14-2013, 05:45 PM
I believe people don't seek mental health support for a few reasons:

1. Stigma
2. Cost barriers
3. Perceived cost barriers
Stigma for sure...especially with the notion that the medications that most serious cases of depression are prescribed. That seems to bring down the most worrisome of fears and to feel that, "they change who you are..." is big enough to deter many.

HI-FI
11-14-2013, 05:46 PM
At least the boy has a father. That alone goes a long way to making it through tough times usually.
i hypothetically agree with this.

Koolaid_Man
11-14-2013, 05:54 PM
i was talking to my neighbor last night and he was telling me he found out his son was a 'cutter' but he doesn't think its serious because other kids at school are doing it. so i ask him if he was going to get some counseling for his son to see if he's suffering from anxiety or deppression and he said nope. he's going to take sharp objects out of his room and keep an eye on him.http://i43.tinypic.com/25hn9c0.png

he's basically refusing to admit his son needs professional help and was shocked i even suggested it. he then went on about psychiatrists and counselors being scam artists and when he was a kid how there was no such thing as kids being depressed or having anxiety. i tried for over an hour to convince him there is nothing wrong with having a mental illness or at least getting an evaluation before i gave up.

i'm thinking about calling CPS on him for not getting some medical attention for his son. i'll give him another week and if i don't see any signs of improvement or if he doesn't tell me he made an appointment, i'm calling in a report.

not trying to be insensitive here but tell him if he didn't know he can apply to the government for a crazy check for his son....many people do it :lol

Koolaid_Man
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM

sounds like you have regrets :lmao

silverblk mystix
11-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately, people don't really get help - because the counselors, doctors, therapists, etc...

Have other agendas - which is not to actually face the problem - but to get the person on dependent drugs instead to keep them in business.

This kid has a programming problem - not a sickness, weakness, ailment - but a programming problem. If your car is malfunctioning you go to a mechanic and get the issue fixed. If a human being has a problem with reality - you re-program his thinking - get under the hood and work on his false programming,his false beliefs, his illusions.

Problems don't need to be fixed - they need to be understood.

If this kid understood what reality and life are - he would not have to hurt himself - he would not feel that self-mutilation is the way.

The only exception to this - is if the kid was diagnosed with an actual chemical imbalance - and then the only way for him to "function" was to re-adjust that imbalance. In that case - then yes- a medical professional could help.