PDA

View Full Version : Will Johny Football survive with the right coach and team?

Fabbs
11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Lots being said about whether Johny Football can survive the NFL where other non pocket QBs have not.
Of course defenders will be looking to knock him out.
Will he go the course of Vick, others and get injured early and often?

Or, with the correct coach and team can they develop an offense that will thrive and keep him healthy?
I believe both can be accomplished.

Vick, who btw has had a lot of NFL success in spite of no Super Bowl, brought a lot of his injuries on himself by failing to go down. Along with fail OLines like the Eagle line. Actually the Eagle front office, who spent a ton on free agent busts like ex Raider slacker db but failed to stack up the OLine.

But now lets look at some other scrambles who have had success.
Brees. Ok he is not a monkey baller but he is also of pretty slight stature compared to average NFL QB.
When coached by MartyBall, sure enough he got injured badly.
However, with the Aints he has always had dump off receivers available due to the playcalling.
Ditto with Giselle Brady, who while not a scrambler has always had good dump off plan Bs in the playcalling.

Kapernick has certainly had success altho he is quite a bit bigger then Johny.

Do you think Johny can thrive with the right team and playcalling?

DeadlyDynasty
11-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Simply put, he doesn't stand a chance.

The Gemini Method
11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Depends on the situation he is in--you made a valid comparison to Scarface and how he fared as a Charger vs. the Saints. More down options with Sproles and Thomas/Ingram while having a beast in Graham. I mean, his attitude will also pit him against success as he'll be a rookie in the league and if he can mature and get some sense of being a hard worker he can have a pretty good career.

JoeTait75
11-14-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't worry about Manziel's arm strength or his size. It's his personality and his decision-making, both on and off the field, that would concern me.

benefactor
11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Simply put, he doesn't stand a chance.

Holden_Caulfield
11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
he would succeed in green bay imo. i mean matty flynn did :lol

Lincoln
11-14-2013, 06:24 PM
He needs a spread option offense tbh, maybe a coach will schematically design a system for him like Kyle and shanny did with griffin

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2013, 06:39 PM
In today's NFL, QBs aren't judged by individual success, they are judged by wins, tbh, so any QB that has an elite defense and/or running game is glorified in today's league, regardless of their actual ability..

Hoops Czar
11-14-2013, 07:24 PM
In today's NFL, QBs aren't judged by individual success, they are judged by wins, tbh, so any QB that has an elite defense and/or running game is glorified in today's league, regardless of their actual ability..

So why doesn't this apply to Tony Romo?

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
So why doesn't this apply to Tony Romo?

Huh?..

The last time Romo was beloved was when the Cowboys made the playoffs, which was also the last time they had an elite defense IIRC, which proves my point..

Romo has been killed by the fans/media more than any QB the past few years, mostly due to the Cowboys lack of success as a team..Romo has to carry a larger load than most QBs in the league, tbh..

The media loves game managers, tbh..

spurraider21
11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Huh?..

The last time Romo was beloved was when the Cowboys made the playoffs, which was also the last time they had an elite defense IIRC, which proves my point..

Romo has been killed by the fans/media more than any QB the past few years, mostly due to the Cowboys lack of success as a team..Romo has to carry a larger load than most QBs in the league, tbh..

The media loves game managers, tbh..
The problem with romo is he has the same "ok it's the 4th quarter of a big game so I need to ice it with a pick" syndrome that we've seen in favre and Peyton manning except he's not as good as those guys overall

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
But that's why the system is so flawed when judging QBs, tbh..

Romo has the same responsibilities as the elite QBs, but he obviously isn't as good as those guys..players like Wilson, Newton, Dalton, etc have far less responsibilities, but they are judged a lot more favourably than Romo, everybody ignores the load, tbh..

Part of it is playing for the Cowboys, but still, the system is very flawed in every sport, in regards to weighing responsibility on the field/court..

jimbo
11-14-2013, 09:24 PM
He's developing bad habits because of Mike Evans. Mechanically not too great. Gonna have games where he throws pick 6s like Geno Smith does

He already wears a TON of padding, most I've seen a QB wear and he's still getting beat up. JJ Watt is gonna eat this burrito nigga alive tbh

chunticakes
11-14-2013, 11:32 PM
he's a monkeyballer so no.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-14-2013, 11:34 PM
he's a monkeyballer so no.

Steve Young was a monkey baller

The Reckoning
11-15-2013, 04:07 AM
he'd work in philly but that's about it...

The Reckoning
11-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Steve Young was a monkey baller

you seen that dude's ears. he's pretty monkeyesque tbh

jag
11-15-2013, 07:22 AM
His stats from inside the pocket are pretty unreal. Statistically speaking, he's probably the best pocket passer in college football this year. He's incredibly accurate when he's not on the move. He also has a higher completion percentage than AJ McCaron, Jameis Winston, Mariota, Brice Petty, Taj Boyd and Braxton Miller.

His decision making right now is a result of him feeling he has to score on every drive because the A&M defense is an abomination. He has improved on every passing stat from last year except for interceptions. It's not because his decision making has become worse, it's because he's trying to force a TD every play in the redzone.

That being said, his success will largely depend on what team drafts him. But there is no doubt that right now he's better than some current NFL quarterbacks.

TrainOfThought5
11-15-2013, 08:11 PM
But that's why the system is so flawed when judging QBs, tbh..

Romo has the same responsibilities as the elite QBs, but he obviously isn't as good as those guys..players like Wilson, Newton, Dalton, etc have far less responsibilities, but they are judged a lot more favourably than Romo, everybody ignores the load, tbh..

Part of it is playing for the Cowboys, but still, the system is very flawed in every sport, in regards to weighing responsibility on the field/court..

Quality posts.

TrainOfThought5
11-15-2013, 08:13 PM
He's developing bad habits because of Mike Evans. Mechanically not too great. Gonna have games where he throws pick 6s like Geno Smith does

He already wears a TON of padding, most I've seen a QB wear and he's still getting beat up. JJ Watt is gonna eat this burrito nigga alive tbh

If he slides to the cowboys and sits behind Romo for 2 years and develop mentally and physically i think he could be successful with another OC and HC thats not Jason Garrett.

8FOR!3
11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
His stats from inside the pocket are pretty unreal. Statistically speaking, he's probably the best pocket passer in college football this year. He's incredibly accurate when he's not on the move. He also has a higher completion percentage than AJ McCaron, Jameis Winston, Mariota, Brice Petty, Taj Boyd and Braxton Miller.

His decision making right now is a result of him feeling he has to score on every drive because the A&M defense is an abomination. He has improved on every passing stat from last year except for interceptions. It's not because his decision making has become worse, it's because he's trying to force a TD every play in the redzone.

That being said, his success will largely depend on what team drafts him. But there is no doubt that right now he's better than some current NFL quarterbacks.

This seems like a fair assessment. Spot on. It'd be nice if him and Mike Evans or Ben Malena can wind up on the same team.

JohnnyMax
11-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Cam Newton was questioned in his rookie season before he put up those 400 yard games

leemajors
11-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Cam is 6'4" 245

spurraider21
11-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Cam Newton was questioned in his rookie season before he put up those 400 yard games
this. he was thought to be one of the most raw #1 overall picks in a while (i'm obviously excluding JaWalrus) and even struggled in camp and preseason with accuracy, missing darn near every throw. Just another example of why you can never be 100% sure on how players' games translate to the pro level. It's why teams still strike out with their QB selections.

Pelicans78
11-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Cam regressed as well during his rookie season into his second year. He lost his accuracy at times and would mentally check out of games. He's been better lately, but he struggled the first month of the season.

jimbo
11-19-2013, 04:29 PM

His first real game as a pro he put up 422 yards. He was questioned a ton during the preseason mostly about his intelligence tbh. A lot like the guys here. "all cam does is :monkey he can't even remember the playbook"

I don't even remember the preseason that year though if that's what you're talking about. I'd guess he was though.