PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Top 5 Defensive Teams

Xylus
11-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Let's take a look at which teams have the highest defensive efficiency 1/10 of the way through the season. Defensive efficiency is based on the amount of points a team allows per 100 possessions. So Chicago allows 94.6 points per 100 possessions, or 0.946 points per every possession.

Defensive Efficiency:

1. Indiana - 0.892 :wow :wow

2. San Antonio - 0.926 :wakeup :wakeup

3. Golden State - 0.940 :toast

4. Chicago - 0.946 :blah

5. Phoenix - 0.959 :lobt:

I just posted this thread because the Suns are finally playing defense. It's been awhile. I'm also surprised that Golden State is doing so well, and I'm also shocked that Indiana is that good on D. San Antonio and Chicago were completely expected, per the usual tbh.

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Indiana has arguably the best defensive big in the league, an elite perimeter defender, 2 other solid perimeter defenders and a great defensive coach, not sure why you're surprised, tbh..they seem to be playing harder than any other team, though, as Vogel has admitted they are gunning hard for the 1 seed..

Golden State's success is a little surprising, especially considering they have Curry and Lee in the starting lineup, but Bogut/Iguodala is an elite combination, and Thompson is a pretty good defender, too..I doubt they'll keep it up, though, IMO..

hater
11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Spurs have been playing a bunch of YMCA teams. means little imo

its really sad the state of the nba in terms of competitiveness

one of these top teams could easily win 67+ games this season

only noteworthy thing here is the West median competitiveness has gone up. it's wide open and it'll be a battle in the West

Xylus
11-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Indiana has arguably the best defensive big in the league, an elite perimeter defender, 2 other solid perimeter defenders and a great defensive coach, not sure why you're surprised, tbh..they seem to be playing harder than any other team, though, as Vogel has admitted they are gunning hard for the 1 seed..

I'm not surprised that they're the top defensive team in the league, I'm surprised by the number itself. Granted, it's early in the season, but holding an opponent to 89 points per 100 is incredible. For reference, Indiana was the top team last year as well, and they posted a .969 by season's end.

racm
11-14-2013, 07:48 PM
7'2" Roy Hibbert protecting the rim. George/Stephenson/Hill is a great trio of perimeter defenders. David West has grown leaps and bounds as a defender the past few years in Indiana.

The Spurs D has returned to elite level ever since Pop started playing Splitter alongside Duncan and Leonard got some PT... especially since the defensive liabilities like Blair, Jefferson, and Neal have all moved on.

Golden State is simply capitalizing on Thompson, Iguodala, and Bogut all being plus defenders. If Bogut goes down, though, they're screwed.

Bulls, no surprise... too bad their first option is Derrick R_se.

Suns have come a long way from Steve Nash being unable to hold anyone in check. Bledsoe is a defensive beast, and they sorely miss his defensive intensity in LA. Miles Plumlee seems to be a better rim protector than Gortat, too.

ElNono
11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Spurs have been playing a bunch of YMCA teams. means little imo

its really sad the state of the nba in terms of competitiveness

one of these top teams could easily win 67+ games this season

only noteworthy thing here is the West median competitiveness has gone up. it's wide open and it'll be a battle in the West

Who are the non-YMCA teams in your opinion, tbh? Heat, Indiana, Chicago and...?

Spurs SOS so far is at #11... Teams like Phoenix, Portland, Golden State, Philly are all playoff teams right now...

racm
11-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Spurs SOS so far is at #11... Teams like Phoenix, Portland, Golden State, Philly are all playoff teams right now...

tbf, GS is a top team in the West. Legit assuming health IMO, just like the Spurs.

Indiana's schedule has also been easy. Their opponents are a combined 24-40.

ElNono
11-14-2013, 07:56 PM
tbf, GS is a top team in the West. Legit assuming health IMO, just like the Spurs.

Indiana's schedule has also been easy. Their opponents are a combined 24-40.

Yeah, Indy's SOS is at #26...

racm
11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah, Indy's SOS is at #26...

George is balling tho. Wish we didn't trade him.

Xylus
11-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Where are you finding the SOS stat? I've looked at 4 different sites and they all have various definitions of the stat.

ElNono
11-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Where are you finding the SOS stat? I've looked at 4 different sites and they all have various definitions of the stat.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

click on the SOS column to sort by SOS

hater
11-14-2013, 07:59 PM

pretty much the entire East save Miami, Indiana and Bulls is YMCA (Brooklyn could eventually get better but not now)

as I said the West got better in the midrange (worse in the top range) but in our last 6 games the only decent team we faced is GS and wasn't Curry injured? so yeah, we've played mostly YMCA teams.

racm
11-14-2013, 08:02 PM
pretty much the entire East save Miami, Indiana and Bulls is YMCA (Brooklyn could eventually get better but not now)

as I said the West got better in the midrange (worse in the top range) but in our last 6 games the only decent team we faced is GS and wasn't Curry injured? so yeah, we've played mostly YMCA teams.

At least the Spurs have beat teams they're supposed to beat. Miami has lost to Philly, Brooklyn, and Boston :lol

ElNono
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM

So Heat, Indiana, Chicago and GS are the only non-YMCA teams?

How about Clippers, Thunder, Phoenix, Portland, Minnesota?

hater
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
At least the Spurs have beat teams they're supposed to beat. Miami has lost to Philly, Brooklyn, and Boston :lol

there's no doubt the Spurs have a chip on their shoulder and the addition of Mario has been a blessing.

but still, these inflated ratings right now are mainly due to the sad state of most of the NBA.

hater
11-14-2013, 08:07 PM
So Heat, Indiana, Chicago and GS are the only non-YMCA teams?

How about Clippers, Thunder, Phoenix, Portland, Minnesota?

that's what I meant the West has gotten better at the midrange and worse at the top range. that's why it is wide open :rolleyes

but so far we haven't played any of those teams at full strength (save maybe phoenix, but they are abit overrated, let's see how they develop) oh and we lost to Portland

Xylus
11-14-2013, 08:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

click on the SOS column to sort by SOS

Cool, thanks.

Suns are #4 in SOS, which surprised me. Thought we were lower. 6th overall in the Hollinger rankings.

racm
11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Cool, thanks.

Suns are #4 in SOS, which surprised me. Thought we were lower. 6th overall in the Hollinger rankings.

All of your losses have been close, and two have been against elite teams. Don't sweat it.

ElNono
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
that's what I meant the West has gotten better at the midrange and worse at the top range. that's why it is wide open :rolleyes

but so far we haven't played any of those teams at full strength (save maybe phoenix, but they are abit overrated, let's see how they develop) oh and we lost to Portland

Actually, Phoenix was missing Dragic. And yeah, we lost to Portland. It wasn't a knock on your comment. I was just wondering what you consider non-YMCA teams, because if some of those teams don't make it, then we're only talking 3-4 teams... either the Spurs are pretty good, or the rest of the league is pretty shitty, tbh...

Xylus
11-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Suns shut down Lillard and LMA for almost the entire game last night and they still beat us. They're a lot deeper than they were last year. Blazers aren't title contenders yet, but they're legit, imo.

hater
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Actually, Phoenix was missing Dragic. And yeah, we lost to Portland. It wasn't a knock on your comment. I was just wondering what you consider non-YMCA teams, because if some of those teams don't make it, then we're only talking 3-4 teams... either the Spurs are pretty good, or the rest of the league is pretty shitty, tbh...

no worries

like I said imo its more the.league sucking but they have been sucking for few years now. too early to tell about spurs. long season to go and even then