PDA

View Full Version : General 2014 NBA Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bruno
11-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Spurs' 2014 draft picks :
Spurs First round pick
Spurs second round pick
Clippers second round pick (top 55 protected)

Players available for the 2014 draft :
International players born in 1992 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 93, 94 or 95 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 12 : Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.
April 15? : Early entry withdrawal deadline to keep NCAA eligibility.
April 16 - April 19 : Portsmouth invitational tournament.
April 28 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 20 : Draft Lottery.
June 4? - June 6? : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 7? - June 9? : Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 16 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 26 : NBA Draft in NY.

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)

ABC
11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
The "Future Draft Picks" link is dead. Here's a working one:

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed (http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed)

Thanks for doing this. Go Clippers!

mountainballer
11-15-2013, 06:20 PM
the Tuesday Chicago sessions officially opened the tanking season.
impressive shows by Wiggins, Parker and Randle.
little doubt, the 2014 will very likely offer 3 players who would either go #1 in most other years.
and Aaron Gordon already made some noise as well. might join this group soon.
usually tanking still only gives you a small chance for the big ticket. but if there are 3 or 4 waiting, chance is pretty nice to get one, if you finish bottom 4.

ABC
11-16-2013, 03:21 PM
In case anyone is curious, the Spurs got the potential second round pick by trading Curtis Jerrells to the Hornets in 2010. I'd forgotten.

Bruno
11-16-2013, 04:21 PM
BTW, if you still want a profile on a specific player, just let me know.

Brazil
11-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Bruno, any interesting French players in that draft ? Have been a while I didn't follow what's going on with our youngs.

Bruno
11-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Bruno, any interesting French players in that draft ? Have been a while I didn't follow what's going on with our youngs.

Westermann, Jaiteh and Inglis are likely the 3 most interesting french draft prospects.

Edit: Westermann just tore his ACL. :depressed

Brazil
11-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Westermann, Jaiteh and Inglis are likely the 3 most interesting french draft prospects.

Thanks Bruno, wow sucks for wsetermann

BackHome
11-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Well looking at first round probably go with SG or SF which I like .....
Rasheed Sulaimon - SG
Sam Dekker - SF
Alex Poythress - SF

Second round pick was watching some vids of Ilimane Diop seems to be interesting second round material.

DrunkTXLabrat
11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
i really like brandon dawson from Michigan state.

TrainOfThought5
11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Anyway we can find a hidden gem of a bigman?? We need Timmys replacement ASAP. Or at least someone who can play well Kawhi in 2 years or 3.

td4mvp2k
11-17-2013, 09:55 PM
i really like brandon dawson from Michigan state.dawson no but payne ya

DrunkTXLabrat
11-18-2013, 01:01 AM
i dunno man. i think payne has shaqtin the fool written all over him.

Chinook
11-20-2013, 03:57 AM
I think the Spurs need to draft a point-guard. Right now, they only have Cory signed for next year behind Parker. While signing one is certainly a possibility, it might make more sense to save cap space by locking in one for a few years cheaply. What do people think of Vasiljie Micic? He's slated as the 31st-overall prospect on nbadraft.net.

They may also go center to replace Baynes. I'd think small-forward would be least likely.

Baam
11-20-2013, 06:16 AM
I think the Spurs need to draft a point-guard. Right now, they only have Cory signed for next year behind Parker. While signing one is certainly a possibility, it might make more sense to save cap space by locking in one for a few years cheaply. What do people think of Vasiljie Micic? He's slated as the 31st-overall prospect on nbadraft.net.

They may also go center to replace Baynes. I'd think small-forward would be least likely.

Yeah small forward since extremely unlikely with Bertans and Livio about to make the jump in the next two years, especially Livio, drafting a SF in the first round two years in a row would seem weird...

About drafting a point guard, it doesn't seems like a bad idea, my first reaction was against it but it's true that the logjam is about to end... Why not.

I don't really like the value of that pick bar none, I'd trade it (to move up or in a deal for a player).

Baam
11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I think they could get a decent center. Jaiteh seems too raw, will probably reminds Pop too much of Mahimi...

Interesting guy : http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jusuf-Nurkic-7118/

The problem is that bigs can rise quickly like Steven Adams and last year they could have easily moved up to get Gobert and didn't so I don't really know what their strategy is...

BackHome
11-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Not a lot of bigs in this draft not like last year as far as Jaiteh he is a long term project at best. As far as PG CoJo has sucked so bad that he reminds me of his first year when he couldn't dribble the ball without looking like a hunchback from ND. Mills has stolen the second string position from the start of camp and would not mind having him back.

We have two Livio and Bertrans at SF/PF so probably the best fit and player would be a SG.a player who has Spurs written all over him is.Rasheed Sulaimon

Nice Find "Baam" I watched the vid and like this kid he is a combination of Splitter and Baynes in that he has that gay hook shot but he makes them and he looks like he likes to play physical like Baynes. I like the fact that he is a good rebounder and that he has quick feet things that will translate into a good NBA player.

mountainballer
11-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Spurs have needs at every position, in the near future (one or two years) and in the long run, so they can draft whatever position offers the most talent. (what they would have done anyway). so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a position that is already covered well, say SG. but if there is a player, who has Spurs material written all over hin, say for example Sulaimon or Dinwiddie (if they leave school in 2014, they might be in the Spurs drafting reach) I see the Spurs draft this guy.

mountainballer
11-22-2013, 06:49 AM
btw. what do you guys think about that San Antonio kid Jordan Clarkson?
quite promising start of the season for Missouri after he sat out the last season. with DeColo likely gone 2014, a player like him could take this spot and might provide what DeColo couldn't.

Captivus
11-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Maybe Im missing something, but assuming I dont.

Scenario 1:
Philadelphia goes to the POs. (Miami gets their 1st round pick)
New Orleans gets lucky with a Top 5 pick.
PHI has no picks in the 1st round.

Scenario 2:
Philadelphia doenst go the POs.
New Orleans doesnt get a top 5 pick.
PHI has 2 lottery picks.

Baam
11-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Players that I like (and somewhat realistic targets) :

Around 15 - Saric (if they move up)
Bottom of the first round - Hairston/Nurkic
Early second round - Jaiteh
Bottom of the second - dont really care tbh even tho the Spurs could have two picks there

BackHome
11-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Well any player we pick will probably have to want to play in Europe as they won't be able to make the team right away. So looking at some centers that are probably OK not coming over right away would be.

Center:
Rasmus Larsen - 7'0 - 235pds "Could play PF with Splitter at Center - think of a taller more athletic Bonner.."
Jusuf nurkic - 6"11 - 280pds "Think of combination of Baynes and Splitter"

TheCerebral1
12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
The draft class has so many possibilities. It really could depend on who stays in school. Players that would normally go 10-15 could be available in the 20's. The athletism is off the charts this season. I really love the odds of at least adding a really nice complimentary piece.

AFBlue
12-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Spurs have needs at every position, in the near future (one or two years) and in the long run, so they can draft whatever position offers the most talent. (what they would have done anyway). so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a position that is already covered well, say SG. but if there is a player, who has Spurs material written all over hin, say for example Sulaimon or Dinwiddie (if they leave school in 2014, they might be in the Spurs drafting reach) I see the Spurs draft this guy.

I agree with this premise, but I think you can reach some conclusions on more likely targets based on their current roster and long-term needs.

First, and most obvious, is the fact that the Spurs can and should lock up Kawhi for the next half-dozen years. That would seem to preclude SF from the list of needs in the short and long term. Then you have Parker, which is a bit more tricky. I personally think he's going to get an extension before he ever hits free agency that gives him a couple more years beyond his current contract in a Spurs uni. That doesn't mean they'll shy away from taking a PG, but I just think it'll be a lesser need in the short and immediate term. Finally, there's Splitter. He's signed for three more years after this one and seems to have the "Center" position locked up in the short and immediate term. Whether the Spurs FO deems him worthy of that contract after Duncan and Ginobili retire remains to be seen. That doesn't preclude the Spurs from targeting a frontcourt player, but they might not duplicate the skillset Splitter brings.

So, with that I think you can surmise they'll go best player available with a lean to off-guard and stretch 4. At this point it's too early to say who fits that profile and ends up in the Spurs' likely draft range, but my guess is that's who they target. But who knows, I'm probably wrong.

mountainballer
12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
disagree. the point that the SF spot is covered still leaves a slot for the back up SF (and a point can be made that at #26-30 it's more likley to find a solid back up player than a starter). and the other point is: never ever draft position over talent. if the best talent left on the board fit a need: perfect. if not, you still take the talent. (or who you think offers more talent). I can remember discussions around the Pacers fans and commentators, when they picked Paul George in 2010, because he played the one position the Pacers thought is best covered for years to come with Danny Granger. (and the Pacers had needs at PG and for front court and the 2010 draft offered promising players for both departments). well, this pick might turn out as the best move in the Pacers history. talent over need. always. ever.

BackHome
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Picking at our position is has come down to that player willing to want to play in Europe. At our pick it is highly unlikely that your going to have a player that everyone is going to say "That's NBA starter material". Just guessing that the Spurs will sign Tony, Diaw, and Mills this summer so if that happens then you take the best SG/SF/PF/C.. As these draft will be replacing Manu, and Timmy, Bonner, Nando, CoJo, etc.

exstatic
12-13-2013, 07:40 AM
The draft class has so many possibilities. It really could depend on who stays in school. Players that would normally go 10-15 could be available in the 20's. The athletism is off the charts this season. I really love the odds of at least adding a really nice complimentary piece.

Or, they could pull out of the draft to try to go higher in 2015.

TheCerebral1
12-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Or, they could pull out of the draft to try to go higher in 2015.

Completely true.

exstatic
12-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Completely true.

I think anyone who pulled out this year, like Smart or Cauley is unlikely to do so again, but anyone who is a Freshman who's stock is dropping would be likely to kick the can down the road for a year.

ace3g
01-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Joining the bandwagon on the description (I saw on twitter) of Kyle Anderson out of UCLA being similar to Boris Diaw. Seems to have good passing/handles for his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoxHiXIqfQ

Chinook
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I was going to ask about him as well. Seems to great Diaw insurance. The team will have room for another big or two next year. The Spurs' pipeline ia full of combo-forwards, however. I would still prefer that the team draft a center or point guard.

ABC
01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
:tu I think draftexpress is crazy to have him at 55. I think he'll go well above that. He may not make it in the NBA, but his skills are well worth the gamble.

Baam
01-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Use the first on this kid if he's there tbh...

exstatic
01-10-2014, 05:18 PM
There are players who look really good when playing in their depth, like Nando, and likely this kid, but they are totally overwhelmed by the speed and power of the NBA. Unless he has some sort of break out, he likely IS a late second rounder.

Chinook
01-11-2014, 02:55 AM
There are players who look really good when playing in their depth, like Nando, and likely this kid, but they are totally overwhelmed by the speed and power of the NBA. Unless he has some sort of break out, he likely IS a late second rounder.

True. There's also a reason most point guards are short. The taller you are, the harder it is to handle the ball. This kid has good enough handles for college, but it's going to be harder in the pros. Also his gross lack of athleticism is worrisome. I think he'll be a mid-second-rounder.

Richie
01-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Does anyone wonder if Danny Green might be worth a mid 1st to somebody? His value is still high after his showing in the 2012 playoffs, not just his Finals shooting but his defence on Curry was excellent. The Spurs need to decide if they are going to pay him in 2015, if not it should be a case of sell high while we can.

The Bobcats for example are looking to build a defensive philosophy and could have 3 picks in the 2014 draft. If the Pistons pick they own is in the 16-20 range, might they be willing to trade? Danny Green for Detroits 1st? They have a lot of rookie contracts on their books already, a player with a good attitude and playoff experience might appeal to them.

Probably reaching a bit for a fairly limited player like Danny.

Chinook
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Green will only be traded if the Duncan retires in the off-season or as part of a package for an upgrade (of which there aren't many out there). He's too important to the team to move for assets if they're still trying to compete. Also, it's not like he's in line for a max deal in 2015 or something like that. He's an MLE player if he returns to form.

Richie
01-26-2014, 03:09 AM
Green will only be traded if the Duncan retires in the off-season or as part of a package for an upgrade (of which there aren't many out there). He's too important to the team to move for assets if they're still trying to compete. Also, it's not like he's in line for a max deal in 2015 or something like that. He's an MLE player if he returns to form.

I agree he's too important to move just for a pick, I was thinking if the FO saw a Kawhi-for-Hill like deal on draft day I'm wondering if there are any teams who might be willing to give up a pick for him. I've heard a lot of people say there could be some good players taken in the mid-to-late 1st this year, a young team like the 'cats might want a proven quantity over yet another rookie.

Chinook
01-26-2014, 03:29 AM
I don't think it's analogous to the Hill situation. George ended up getting 10 times his old salary under his new contract. The Spurs weren't going anywhere near that money to keep him. Green may make a million more per year on his next deal. And that's only if he recovers his shot and has another good playoffs. The team will only lose him for nothing if they let him go. Also, Danny is a starter and projects to remain one for years while Hill was a backup who wanted starter's money. He looks like a great fit between Parker and Leonard, and I think the Spurs will want him to stay there in 2015, provided he's still playing well.

But it would take a really special player to increase the Spurs title chances as a rookie more than Green does. Even a star like Paul George wasn't as good as a rookie as Green is now. It was one thing for Kawhi to be an improvement over Hill. Starter at a weak position versus backup at a strong position. You're not going to find a prime Wilson Chandler or prime Aaron Afflalo in the middle of the first.

I see Beli as the only possible draft-day trade piece. Marco may well be able to garner a top-20 pick from the right team. Certain teams would probably give up a top-five pick for Leonard, but he's not on the block.

Baam
01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Skeptical that a one year rental of Beli would get us a top 20 pick...

On the other hand if they want to trade Splitter waiting may be advantageous thanks to the decreasing yearly salaries... Kinda like trading Asik and Lin became harder with the poison pills...

Everyone seems to forget about the Gortat rumors at the beginning of the season, imo Splitter better have the PO run of his life for him to still be on the team in september... And that if he makes it past the trade deadline...

Baam
01-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Btw Kyle Anderson is up to #35 on DX, by the time of the draft he might be out of reach... They have Zach LaVine at 29, where we pick, and I gotta say I like what I see, a high risk high reward SG for Ginob's last year would be nice...

I'd trade Splitter for whoever (maybe an expiring) + picks...

Draft Anderson and LaVine, sign Vesely.

TD Vesely
Diaw Livio
Kawhi Anderson
Green Ginob LaVine
TP LaVine Cojo

Perfect mix of defensive monkeyballing and offensive finesse. The post D would be quite bad at center but whatever...

Of course everyone who is any good is gonna rise and we'll be left with scrubs...

jesterbobman
02-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Does anyone have thoughts on Clint Capela?(Euro posters especially). Good defensive bigs are always valuable, and he apparently blew up with 21p, 9reb, 7as, 6blocks in a french league game recently.

(http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Clint-Capela-4385/)

While the french league isn't the best, that is a ridiculous line.

Also, agent is Bouna Ndiaye, who has had players linked to the Spurs in the past.

Chinook
02-02-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't think he should come out this season. Tons of talent, but so many question marks that it's really tough to.project his NBA production. He's too small to play the five, but he can't shoot and so he can't play the four. He has good mobility for defending the PnR. Which of those skills he can refine will determine which position he can play in the NBA. I guess not too different from LJC in that regard. Like LJC, he'd be an intriguing draft-and-stash if he stays in. Withdrawing is a risk if he gets a promise. He could rise significantly like Noguiera did, or he could fall like Jaiteh seems to be doing.

bluebellmaniac
02-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Some general thoughts as to our draft needs for next year (yeah, I know, there's time for this AFTER the playoffs... I'm just bored):

PG: Depends on what we do with Mills. If we re-sign him, we have Parker, Mills and CoJo - we are set. (And remember that Manu plays point too) If we do not re-sign Mills, we need to draft a PG. We need to let DeColo walk.

SG: Manu, Green and Beli. I expect Manu to be out for stretches with injuries, but that'll be patched by committee.

SF: Kawhi, Bertans and LJC. I think Bertans and LJC come over and suddenly we are set at SF.

PF/C: TD, Splitter, Baynes, Ayers (ugh), Diaw: We will be in big need of a stretch 4 to replace Bonner. You don't just draft one and play a stretch 4, they take time to develop. I see the team looking at a vet for that role. Expect limited playing time for TD, so stocking up on the best C would be a great idea. I expect a draft and stash on a C or possibly a PF.

So there we have it. I suspect our biggest needs are C / PF and a stretch 4. Stretch 4 being the biggest need. If we can't find a replacement Stretch 4, then say hello to another year of Bon-Bon.

Our projected Roster:
PG: Parker, Mills, Cojo
SG: Manu, Green, Beli
SF: Kawhi, Bertans, LJC
PF: Diaw, Ayers, Draft Pick or Vet for Stretch 4 (it would be nice if we could trade away Ayers, but that is a different conversation)
C: TD, Splitter, Draft Pick

The final run for the big 3...

ABC
02-08-2014, 11:04 AM
I was thinking the Spurs would play Jean-Charles at the 4. Either way, I agree with drafting a big making the most sense if they don't trade the pick. Never too early to speculate about the draft imo :)

Baam
02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Kyle Anderson now up to #28 on DX :lmao and that's with every one above him staying in the draft which won't happen... Was good to dream for a while...

bluebellmaniac
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
I was thinking the Spurs would play Jean-Charles at the 4. Either way, I agree with drafting a big making the most sense if they don't trade the pick. Never too early to speculate about the draft imo :)

I think he probably will play some 4 with the amount of small ball we do. It would just be nice to have a great array of bigs to play smash mouth ball, old school style.

Godbama
02-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Any thoughts on the Marcus Smart controversy? Shoving a fan and whatnot. He's been projected at various highs and lows, most thinking definitely top ten, but surely he's going to tumble some spots from this. Red flags can drop prospects all the time.

bluebellmaniac
02-10-2014, 05:05 AM
I don't think it affects his draft position at all. The fan was a jerk by the accounts that I have read, using racial slurs.

NBA fans would be escorted out of the building and their season passes cancelled if they tried that crap. Smart will be a top 6 pick in my opinion.

pad300
02-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Kyle Anderson now up to #28 on DX :lmao and that's with every one above him staying in the draft which won't happen... Was good to dream for a while...

Not sure how much he will rise in the end. I suspect he's not going to have awesome athletic testing results, and his skills aren't "flashy" in a one man workout. Invariably, some athletic wonder-kids will rise, and GMs will fall in love with them... If he doesn't have a strong combine, he will not rise very far in the end...

Baam
02-13-2014, 02:12 PM
^ I hope so, has steal of the draft written all over him.

On an unrelated note, what if Pop decided to end the Bonner era only to trade up for Bonner 3.0 aka McDermott? Seems like he's such a Pop-esque player that I can't rule it out somehow...

bluebellmaniac
02-22-2014, 12:20 AM
It sure would be nice if the Clippers were to move ahead of the Rockets for the 5th best record... I'd like for us to get their 2nd round pick...

Go Clippers Go!!!

benefactor
02-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Baam
02-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Well when it seems too good to be true it is... Nurkic and Kyle Anderson seem now out of reach...

That said we're so near the end of the Duncan era that we could see something happen during the draft... Especially if Tim retires and/or they get eliminated early... Could get crazy.

SpursSerb
02-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Does age make any influence on draft?

benefactor
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Does age make any influence on draft?
A player has to turn 19 during the calendar year of the draft.

SpursSerb
02-22-2014, 04:46 PM
A player has to turn 19 during the calendar year of the draft.

Yes i know that.I was thinking more does it somehow influence the position on draft?Like would it make any difference if Nurkic was 21 or 22 instead of 19?

jesterbobman
02-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Basic rule is that the younger a person is with given stats, the higher hey'll get drafted, as they have 1/2/3 years of development ahead of them compared to others, and probably a higher ceiling as a result. This is mostly factored into mock drafts now.

If Nurkic is going 25(?) now at 19, he'd probably go 40 or so as a 22 year old.

Look at where Shabazz Napier is projected at DX. 18p, 5.8boards, 5 assists, and 1.9 steals on decent %'s. Projected 57th as he'll be almost 23 when the draft happens.

bluebellmaniac
02-23-2014, 11:59 PM
The integrity of the game is at stake and the league should not turn a blind eye. We need the "draft wheel" to eliminate the blatant tanking that is happening.

The league would ban any player who purposely shaved points, but a FO that sits players who are healthy and does not try to compete gets no ramifications.

Which brings to mind our own fine of $250k when Pop rested our players so that we could be competitive over the season. Why not fine teams who are blatantly tanking, starting with the Fakers?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-27-2014, 03:40 PM
The integrity of the game is at stake and the league should not turn a blind eye. We need the "draft wheel" to eliminate the blatant tanking that is happening.

The league would ban any player who purposely shaved points, but a FO that sits players who are healthy and does not try to compete gets no ramifications.

Which brings to mind our own fine of $250k when Pop rested our players so that we could be competitive over the season. Why not fine teams who are blatantly tanking, starting with the Fakers?

brilliant. leave the draft alone. just add fines to the worst 3.

worst pays half the highest salary in the league (this year is kobes - about 15 mill fine)
second worst pays the maximum midlevel exception amount (about 5 mill)
worst pays minimum annual contract amount (about 500k)

add it to the luxury tax and spread it around. better yet, give it the the lakers (good incentive for teams to give such big contracts, and for stars to stick around to be eligible for such pay)

DrunkTXLabrat
02-27-2014, 03:52 PM
call it the "do right" fine. bad teams do right and play hard, while players do right and stay with their teams that do right and pay big.

Baam
03-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Looking at the team playing pretty well right now, the one area where it could get better is bench balance imo...

I think one of Mills/Beli has to go. With Beli being an easily movable asset I think it makes more sense to part with him... Something like Beli + our first for an early 20s pick so that we can get Anderson would be awesome...

TD Splitter
Diaw Anderson
Kawhi Anderson
Green Manu
TP Mills

Even better balance and higher ceiling...

yavozerb
03-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Looking at the team playing pretty well right now, the one area where it could get better is bench balance imo...

I think one of Mills/Beli has to go. With Beli being an easily movable asset I think it makes more sense to part with him... Something like Beli + our first for an early 20s pick so that we can get Anderson would be awesome...

TD Splitter
Diaw Anderson
Kawhi Anderson
Green Manu
TP Mills

Mills is under contract for this year only..is FA this summer.

Richie
03-07-2014, 11:02 PM

TD Splitter
Diaw Anderson
Kawhi Anderson
Green Manu
TP Mills

Disagree, Belinelli is a fantastic player for our system and on a very cheap contract.

Also we have to plan for Manus retirement. Belinelli and Mills will be leading the bench in a couple years.

AFBlue
03-15-2014, 12:34 PM
A guy that I'd like to see the Spurs target is Cory Jefferson, PF from Baylor. He's very athletic and has really improved his skill level over the past two years...range out to college 3pt line and finesse post moves. Yes he's 23 going on 24, but I really think he's a solid all-around player that can help the Spurs on both sides of the ball in the short and immediate term. I think if he were two or three years younger he'd be a lottery pick, but he should be available at the end of the first.

Richie
03-16-2014, 10:00 PM
A guy that I'd like to see the Spurs target is Cory Jefferson, PF from Baylor. He's very athletic and has really improved his skill level over the past two years...range out to college 3pt line and finesse post moves. Yes he's 23 going on 24, but I really think he's a solid all-around player that can help the Spurs on both sides of the ball in the short and immediate term. I think if he were two or three years younger he'd be a lottery pick, but he should be available at the end of the first.

Not sure if his jumpshot is legit. He's 42% from the college 3 but its only on 33 attempts and he's only shooting 64% from the line.

Regardless, if the front office think he can defend the 4 at the NBA level he would be a good addition. His age means he will drop in the draft and he's projected as a late 2nd rounder as it is, might be an option in the 2nd round. Too many question marks to consider taking him with a first rounder, but maybe he blitzs his tryouts.

Richie
03-16-2014, 11:22 PM
I like Alec Brown for our late second rounder. 7'1, 7'0 wingspan and shooting 43% on 150+ 3PA in college the last 2 years. Not much risk at #60 for that combination of size, length and shooting.

His college stats are remarkably similar to Bonner. If he's really 235 (perhaps a bit generous) he'd only be 8lbs lighter than Bonner coming out of college. Shooting stats and rebounding broadly similar, but Brown is a significantly better shot blocker.

99 Problems
03-17-2014, 05:39 AM
When it comes to 7 footers anyone notice the big guy at UC Irvine. 7'6" shot blocker. UC have had a very fine season. Maybe a guy to keep an eye on the next couple of NCAA seasons.

Richie
03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
When it comes to 7 footers anyone notice the big guy at UC Irvine. 7'6" shot blocker. UC have had a very fine season. Maybe a guy to keep an eye on the next couple of NCAA seasons.

7'6" with an 8'1" wingspan and 290lbs? Crazy stats, but he's probably just a big body. If he has even an ounce of basketball ability he will be a lottery pick for sure.

Chinook
03-18-2014, 11:37 AM
DX hasn't acknowledged it, but if the season were to end today, the Spurs would have the Clippers' second-round pick. It's possible that 60 and 57 could be packaged to move up into the mid to late 40s or early 50s to target a plummeting player.

OR it's also possible that Philly trades up to 30 using two or more of their seconds. I can't see them using all of the picks they have over the next two drafts.

Baam
03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
DX hasn't acknowledged it, but if the season were to end today, the Spurs would have the Clippers' second-round pick. It's possible that 60 and 57 could be packaged to move up into the mid to late 40s or early 50s to target a plummeting player.

OR it's also possible that Philly trades up to 30 using two or more of their seconds. I can't see them using all of the picks they have over the next two drafts.

Who knows, only thing for sure if that they seem determined to tank another year or two...

And I'm not sure there's that many trades with such low picks... Whatever you package with these picks to move up is probably getting you the exact same thing without the picks...

Thanasis Antetokounmpo is projected as a late 2nd so he could be a good surprise, better defensive potential than both Bertans and Thomas, main question is if his shot can be fixed...

Still like Jaiteh given how low he has fallen now... 70% FT shooter, imo he has plenty of potential despite a disappointing season...

Our first doesn't really excite me right now with LaVine and especially Anderson moving up each time DX updates their mock... I would like to trade down with Philly for their 2 best second rounders for instance (2nd and 9th pick)... Pick a PG and a big... Maybe Micic and Jaiteh, wait 2015 to bring them over...

Jaiteh
Livio
Bertans
?
Micic

A whole 5 coming over at once...

Unrelated but I wonder if the Harrisson twins are gonna enter the draft, they have been playing better and at the same time don't seem thrilled to stay another year... Given that we're desperate for upside more than anything with the end of the Duncan era around the corner it could be good for us if they enter while their stock is low...

Richie
03-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Philly wouldn't trade up to 30. #32 is probably worth more than #30 because you aren't limited to the rookie scale. Compare Cory Joseph to Chandler Parsons, Joseph will get $1.7m more over his first 4 years than Parsons, most of which is in the 4th year.

AFBlue
03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Not sure if his jumpshot is legit. He's 42% from the college 3 but its only on 33 attempts and he's only shooting 64% from the line.

Regardless, if the front office think he can defend the 4 at the NBA level he would be a good addition. His age means he will drop in the draft and he's projected as a late 2nd rounder as it is, might be an option in the 2nd round. Too many question marks to consider taking him with a first rounder, but maybe he blitzs his tryouts.

Watching him, it's not an unnatural motion....seems fluid and repeatable. I would agree there's probably more value at that pick, but that's also tough to argue this far out. After all, we don't know who will enter the draft or how individuals will test out in the pre-draft camps.

I'm just saying I'd personally look at Jefferson over younger guys like Jaiteh or Austin who have theoretically more upside. Then again, I'm not a scout or talent evaluator.

Chinook
03-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Philly wouldn't trade up to 30. #32 is probably worth more than #30 because you aren't limited to the rookie scale. Compare Cory Joseph to Chandler Parsons, Joseph will get $1.7m more over his first 4 years than Parsons, most of which is in the 4th year.

First, they don't necessarily have to trade 32 for 30. Two mid-seconds may be enough. Also, this wouldn't be the first time a team with a super-early second traded up a couple of picks into the late first. Miami traded from 31 to 28 for Norris Cole in 2011. It's all about targeting a player.

Finally, late-firsts are more cost-effective than early seconds over the course of four years usually. Most second-rounders are unwilling to sign for four years. So most good ones end up making a lot more after their third, second or even first years than their top-30 counterparts. For every Blair or Parsons, there are more Jordans, Asiks and Matthews.

Richie
03-18-2014, 11:53 PM
First, they don't necessarily have to trade 32 for 30. Two mid-seconds may be enough. Also, this wouldn't be the first time a team with a super-early second traded up a couple of picks into the late first. Miami traded from 31 to 28 for Norris Cole in 2011. It's all about targeting a player.

Finally, late-firsts are more cost-effective than early seconds over the course of four years usually. Most second-rounders are unwilling to sign for four years. So most good ones end up making a lot more after their third, second or even first years than their top-30 counterparts. For every Blair or Parsons, there are more Jordans, Asiks and Matthews.

2nd rounders have no bargaining power, if the team will only offer them 4 years then they will have to take it. For foreign players it is harder because I suspect they are more than willing to spend time in their home leagues, but most Americans would rather play in the NBA I imagine.

If you want to get someone to sign for 4 years you'll likely have to guarantee the first two which is what happened with Parsons, a risk a lot of teams probably don't want to take. However, a first rounder is guaranteed the first two years also so it's not a massive risk if you're trading down a couple spots in to the 2nd round.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trading #30 for #39 and #45.

Baam
03-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Another great reason to trade down with Philly : they could take back Ayres without blinking an eye... And if Duncan doesn't retire that be pretty awesome to get rid of that kind of dead weight going into the offseason...

Chinook
03-19-2014, 08:36 AM
2nd rounders have no bargaining power, if the team will only offer them 4 years then they will have to take it. For foreign players it is harder because I suspect they are more than willing to spend time in their home leagues, but most Americans would rather play in the NBA I imagine.

If you want to get someone to sign for 4 years you'll likely have to guarantee the first two which is what happened with Parsons, a risk a lot of teams probably don't want to take. However, a first rounder is guaranteed the first two years also so it's not a massive risk if you're trading down a couple spots in to the 2nd round.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trading #30 for #39 and #45.

Second-rounders have more bargaining power than first-rounders. They can just accept their one-year tender. And if a player is valuable enough that a team wants to lock him up for four years, that player has the leverage to not have to take just any contract. If Parsons and Blair demanded three years instead of four, they would have gotten it.

jesterbobman
03-22-2014, 01:00 AM
For people who actually watch, What does Jordan Adams play like?

He's currently projected around the end of the first/early second, but his stats profile is pretty great(He will be 19 at the time of the draft, stats indicate he uses athleticism well(5.4FTA:11.8FGA, 2.7steals in 30mpg) and Kevin Pelton just indicated he'd be in his top 5 stats prospects).

Given Nurkic, Capela and Anderson all appear to be gone, He's now target #4 to me. Centre/PF is the position of need for next year, but C crops seem limited, and the only PF fit is Payne, who will potentially be gone already(and is 23), and Livio/Davis seem to fit some of the forward need.

Baam
03-22-2014, 02:04 PM
^ as far as SGs in our range that's probably as good as it gets.

Gino-Step
03-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Nok Stauskas should be our 1st round pick. Manu replacement.

99 Problems
03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Stauskas is an outstanding prospect. Young, and improvement this season was impressive.

AFBlue
03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
It's still pretty early, but Stauskas is projected as a mid-first rounder by DX. So it's not likely he's still around when the Spurs pick.

Chinook
03-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Another DX mock, another oversight on the Clippers' second-rounder. It really gets my goat. The Spurs haven't gone into a draft with extra picks since 09.

Anyways, the mock has the Spurs picking Cleanthony (horrible name) Early at 30. Seems like a wasted pick (I know they aren't taking need into account), as he seems to be a bad mix of LJC and Thomas.

Micic is still my pick, and I'd love Jaiteh and Antetokounmpo in the second. However, Jaiteh should withdraw unless someone promises to give him guaranteed salary, and Antetokounmpo will likely rise to mid/early second as people withdraw. Would be a hell of a restocking of the overseas shelves, though.

BackHome
03-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Who knows how this draft will go players always rise and fall depending how they play in the final sixteen. I would love to get either Vasilje Micic PG: 6'5 or Elfrid Payton PG: 6'3 after that some how trade up in the second round to get Corry Jefferson or Jusuf nurkic..

jesterbobman
03-24-2014, 02:43 AM
I don't think there's a hope of Nurkic in the second. Up to 11 on DX, and while people in the lottery sometimes fall, there's usually only 1 and there is a severe lack of bigs in the draft. Only non tweener bigs in current DX after 13 are Montrezl Harrell(6'7" in shoes, though good defensively) and Adrien Payne(Who is a good fit, but is 23).

DX seems like they just haven't updated team records, as Clippers at 25 in first has the Rockets with a better record. Guessing Givony doesn't bother as records bounce around, though an auto update built in to the site would make it better.

Also agree that it makes sense that Jaiteh pulls out. I'd love him at 56 if he stays. Draft Euro X at 60, unless someone really good falls. I don't think we'll have much roster space if there is a MLE(?) + Livio(Probable) + Bertans(Prob another year) + 1st, Even if Bonner and Daye go.

nickdaquick
03-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Anyways, the mock has the Spurs picking Cleanthony (horrible name) Early at 30. Seems like a wasted pick (I know they aren't taking need into account), as he seems to be a bad mix of LJC and Thomas.

I actually like Early. He doesn't seem like mix of ljc and Thomas, not sure how see that. He's 6'8", good size and already has 3pt range. Not sure about his ball handling though. Seems like a good backup to kawhi which fills a need.

mountainballer
03-24-2014, 12:42 PM
didn't know much about Jarnell Stokes till this Weekend. kid is good. doesn't look undersized. younger than most Juniors. still only 20, so he is even younger than some sophs. his stock will rise quite a bit after what he showed in the tournament. should end up as a 1st round bubble. I would like him at 30.

Chinook
03-24-2014, 12:45 PM
I actually like Early. He doesn't seem like mix of ljc and Thomas, not sure how see that. He's 6'8", good size and already has 3pt range. Not sure about his ball handling though. Seems like a good backup to kawhi which fills a need.

He's a four. He doesn't have LJC's lateral quickness (pre-injury, at least) or solid base inside, or Thomas' ability to get his own shot from anywhere on the floor. He's essentially a stretch-four who can only guard other stretch-fours and maybe provide some weakside blocks. Not all that impressive, especially in light of the other players in the pipeline.

nickdaquick
03-24-2014, 01:22 PM
He's a four. He doesn't have LJC's lateral quickness (pre-injury, at least) or solid base inside, or Thomas' ability to get his own shot from anywhere on the floor. He's essentially a stretch-four who can only guard other stretch-fours and maybe provide some weakside blocks. Not all that impressive, especially in light of the other players in the pipeline.

Well if you think he's a stretch 4 then don't draft him. I like him as a good prospect at the 3. He's got the size, the athleticism, and the shot to play the wing. Spurs just need to figure out if he's quick enough to defend the position. My early prediction is he is.

CGD
03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
I like Staukus and his improvement from last year has been nice. He has that clutch thing too. It's hard to tell where folks will fall after the first 10 this year. Im less concerned with the backup SF as I was last year with LJC, Bertans, and Daye as decent options. I'm interested to see if Mills takes money elsewhere this summer. That may inform whether the team seeks another pg/sg who can put up point in bunches. I'm also ready to move on from COJo.

pad300
03-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Nok Stauskas should be our 1st round pick. Manu replacement.

If your looking at a Manu replacement, with our pick, I'd take a long look at Bogdan Bogdanovic. He's gotten it done pretty well in Euroleague this year, especially for a 21 year old SG who's forced to basically be the PG (as their PG Leo Westermann is injured...) for Partizan.

Chinook
03-25-2014, 01:05 AM
If your looking at a Manu replacement, with our pick, I'd take a long look at Bogdan Bogdanovic. He's gotten it done pretty well in Euroleague this year, especially for a 21 year old SG who's forced to basically be the PG (as their PG Leo Westermann is injured...) for Partizan.

If the Spurs want to stash their pick for a year, he'd be a fine choice. Wouldn't want to draft a fourth SG, though.

Baam
03-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Embiid will finally enter the draft this year... Bet all the lottery teams were happy to hear that...

Who are the biggest names on the fence left now? Jabari, Saric and the Harrison twins...?

LaVine dropped back down all the way to our pick in DX latest mock, would be great...

Trade Beli and whoever so that we get both LaVine and Anderson, one can dream...

Baam
03-29-2014, 12:37 PM
About Saric declaring :

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/115425/dario-saric-declaring-for-the-nba-draft.html (http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/115425/dario-saric-declaring-for-the-nba-draft.html)

yavozerb
03-29-2014, 12:45 PM
About Saric declaring :

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/115425/dario-saric-declaring-for-the-nba-draft.html (http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/115425/dario-saric-declaring-for-the-nba-draft.html)

Good news for spurs..More quality international players entering this draft will simply make it deeper and better for the spurs at end of the 1st..

Chinook
03-30-2014, 01:27 PM
DX updated their mock on Friday including team records, yet they have the clips at 57 WITH their pick. Ugh. They also miss that Dallas being 21st woulf make their pick property of OKC, but right now the Mavs have the 14th pick, so the point is moot.

Baam already notes that Zach LaVine is the current player mocked at 30. With news that Saric and Embiid are not withdrawing, the top of the draft is looking pretty solid.

Mal
03-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I like this Early from Wichita and of course Bogdanovic is hell of a player. Probably both out of reach with 30th pick

eDizzle20
03-30-2014, 03:21 PM
I would like to see the Spurs get Elfrid Payton or Patric Young. Payton has great size for a point guard and is extremely quick and a great defender, but is a poor shooter. Young is a good PF that is a great defender especially in the pick n roll and also has a high basketball IQ, but his offense is limited.

exstatic
03-30-2014, 04:01 PM
DX updated their mock on Friday including team records, yet they have the clips at 57 WITH their pick. Ugh. They also miss that Dallas being 21st woulf make their pick property of OKC, but right now the Mavs have the 14th pick, so the point is moot.

Baam already notes that Zach LaVine is the current player mocked at 30. With news that Saric and Embiid are not withdrawing, the top of the draft is looking pretty solid.

Just like team needs, I don't believe he's showing non-confirmed draft pick conveyances yet. I think once the lottery goes down, and any coin flips for ties set the final draft order, he'll show the picks that convey.

Chinook
03-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Just like team needs, I don't believe he's showing non-confirmed draft pick conveyances yet. I think once the lottery goes down, and any coin flips for ties set the final draft order, he'll show the picks that convey.

Nah, it's easier to believe DX just hates Texas.

ABC
03-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Nah, it's easier to believe DX just hates Texas.

:lol

BackHome
03-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Just curious what are your thoughts on our team needs based on next years player contracts and previous foreign draft picks?

Probably this will be Bonner's last year which opens up a PF position and I don't know what we will do with Mill's who's contact is up?

AFBlue
03-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Just curious what are your thoughts on our team needs based on next years player contracts and previous foreign draft picks?

Probably this will be Bonner's last year which opens up a PF position and I don't know what we will do with Mill's who's contact is up?

Franchise big to replace Duncan tbqh. I was hopeful for Ayres, but it looks like he might not pan out.

jesterbobman
03-31-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm assuming Mills/Diaw come back at a total of $7-8m. Fits Diaws current contract(4) and 3/4m for Patty, which seems close to market value. Both are good/great deals at that money, but it's hard to see many others paying more. Diaw as he clearly mailed it in on a non playoff team, and Patty because no one has a great need for a starting PG. Jennings is terrible, but I can't see Dumars paying Mills, and most other teams have options.

Biggest need is a backup PF/C. Hard to fill that on a 1 year basis with a #30 pick. 4s/5s at around 30 on DX are Adrien Payne(24), Mitch McGary(33) AJ Hammons(36), Walter Tavares(39), Isaiah Austin(40), Patric Young(41). I doubt any on of those guys are an above average NBA player next year.(Maybe Payne, but he's 23, he should be ready). Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

It's realistically a FA target to try and get a tenth man. I don't think Pau is at all realistic with MLE, so I'd aim for Patrick Patterson(R)/Channing Frye/Jordan Hill/Ed Davis/Jeff Adrien. 1 of those would fill out a ten man rotation well.
Tiago/1 of above
TD/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
DG/Marco
TP/Mills

Means we're in a position of drafting best available to be a 12th man/be stashed, as it's hard to see the draft addressing immediate need.

bluebellmaniac
03-31-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm assuming Mills/Diaw come back at a total of $7-8m. Fits Diaws current contract(4) and 3/4m for Patty, which seems close to market value. Both are good/great deals at that money, but it's hard to see many others paying more. Diaw as he clearly mailed it in on a non playoff team, and Patty because no one has a great need for a starting PG. Jennings is terrible, but I can't see Dumars paying Mills, and most other teams have options.

Biggest need is a backup PF/C. Hard to fill that on a 1 year basis with a #30 pick. 4s/5s at around 30 on DX are Adrien Payne(24), Mitch McGary(33) AJ Hammons(36), Walter Tavares(39), Isaiah Austin(40), Patric Young(41). I doubt any on of those guys are an above average NBA player next year.(Maybe Payne, but he's 23, he should be ready). Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

It's realistically a FA target to try and get a tenth man. I don't think Pau is at all realistic with MLE, so I'd aim for Patrick Patterson(R)/Channing Frye/Jordan Hill/Ed Davis/Jeff Adrien. 1 of those would fill out a ten man rotation well.
Tiago/1 of above
TD/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
DG/Marco
TP/Mills

Means we're in a position of drafting best available to be a 12th man/be stashed, as it's hard to see the draft addressing immediate need.

Totally agree. We can go for the best player available and be happy with that (although we now seem to be deep on stashed 3s, we just need them to get healthy). We could really use a steal at Center... what corners of the Earth could they be scouting to come up with the next surprise pick...

ABC
03-31-2014, 07:23 AM

Tiago/1 of above
TD/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
DG/Marco
TP/Mills

Really nice post. Thanks. Right now I think they could resign Mills for a bit cheaper, maybe 3 years 7-8 million. I don't think other teams view him as an option to start, despite his improvement. Nate Robinson got 2 years, 4 million. Mills is a better team player, but they have some similar limitations. We'll see.

eDizzle20
03-31-2014, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=jesterbobman;7216959]Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

Kaminsky has been dominating other bigs in the tournament thus far. He has the most polished game of any big man in college basketball right now. I'm guessing he'll stay for his senior year, but he would definitely be a great pick up at 30. If he does enter the draft this year I doubt he lasts that long.

Richie
03-31-2014, 08:31 PM

Kaminsky would be silly not to come out this year IMO. His stock is sky high at the moment, could very we end up a lottery pick if a team real likes him. Feel like he'd be a steal at #30.

Also, I don't like any of those options for the MLE. It would tie up ~$5m of salary for the 2015 summer when we will have cap space. Maybe a premier free agent won't sign here, but Splitters contract was clearly structured with an eye on that summer so I doubt we commit to any more salary.

Even if the chance of landing a player like Marc Gasol is small, I'd rather try that than spend the MLE on Channing Frye or Jordan Hill.

BackHome
04-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Lets see best player will probably be a PG :

Deonte Burton 6'1 Nevada
Elfrid Payton 6'3 Louisiana
Andrew Harrison 6'5 Kentucky

Foreign Draft and Stash:

Vasilije Micic 6'4 Serbia PG
Borgan Bogdanovic 6'6 Serbia PG
Walter Tavares 7'2 - 265

jesterbobman
04-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Kaminsky would be silly not to come out this year IMO. His stock is sky high at the moment, could very we end up a lottery pick if a team real likes him. Feel like he'd be a steal at #30.

Also, I don't like any of those options for the MLE. It would tie up ~$5m of salary for the 2015 summer when we will have cap space. Maybe a premier free agent won't sign here, but Splitters contract was clearly structured with an eye on that summer so I doubt we commit to any more salary.

Even if the chance of landing a player like Marc Gasol is small, I'd rather try that than spend the MLE on Channing Frye or Jordan Hill.

I agree with you on long term strategy. I wasn't meaning a Jason Thompson MLE deal, but 5m then team option on the second year(or whatever is needed to make it essentially unguaranteed) would help the team next year, and keep the option open for the future.

Also agree on Kaminsky. I'd probably take him over McDermott, just not sure if he'll come out.

smaka
04-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Lets see best player will probably be a PG :

Deonte Burton 6'1 Nevada
Elfrid Payton 6'3 Louisiana
Andrew Harrison 6'5 Kentucky

Foreign Draft and Stash:

Vasilije Micic 6'4 Serbia PG
Borgan Bogdanovic 6'6 Serbia PG
Walter Tavares 7'2 - 265

It's Bogdan, not Borgan. And he is not a pure PG, more of a SG, but he plays many minutes at PG this year in Partizan because their playmakers got injured.

smaka
04-02-2014, 03:10 AM
BTW, what's your take on Shabazz Napier from UConn? He's hit some big shots this year, is a senior, PG... Thoughts?

bluebellmaniac
04-02-2014, 05:06 AM
I like Bogdan, he reminds me a lot of Manu...

SpursSerb
04-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Vasilije Micic will enter this years draft,his agent confirmed.

Chinook
04-05-2014, 12:56 AM
^ Nice. The more folks stay in the draft the better chance the Spurs can land a productive player.

Baam
04-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Feels like the Harisson twins are bound to declare now...

Baam
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
If they want a PG to replace Mills then Elfrid Payton is pretty intriguing... His defensive potential is really enticing... The Harrison twins could push him down to our pick too...

Post Duncan era could be a defensive minded team (like the Pacers) since there's just no (realistic) way to get an all time great big...

So Payton could be part of that next era... Joseph has shown himself to be too timid and limited at this point...

30th pick : Payton
57th pick : it's a bit of a stretch to hope Jaiteh falls that low but who knows
60th pick : Antetokounmpo

Baam
04-06-2014, 09:18 AM

BackHome
04-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Players always say that after a loss and then $$$ takes over and I would not be surprised if they change their mind.

This draft is looking to be one of the best draft as far as depth we have seen in the last ten years.

exstatic
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Feels like the Harisson twins are bound to declare now...

Teams that draft on March Madness performance are almost always disappointed. The Harrisons have sucked donkey dicks all year long. DX had one late first round and one second round...FOR NEXT YEAR. They're not even trending well in a non-outstanding 2015 draft.

exstatic
04-07-2014, 11:09 PM
If they want a PG to replace Mills then Elfrid Payton is pretty intriguing... His defensive potential is really enticing... The Harrison twins could push him down to our pick too...

Post Duncan era could be a defensive minded team (like the Pacers) since there's just no (realistic) way to get an all time great big...

So Payton could be part of that next era... Joseph has shown himself to be too timid and limited at this point...

30th pick : Payton
57th pick : it's a bit of a stretch to hope Jaiteh falls that low but who knows
60th pick : Antetokounmpo

That's the kid I really want this year. Think of George Hill, with ACTUAL PG skills, but a broke ass jumper. The kid fills the stat sheet. He's 6'4" and slightly built, but averages 19.3 points/6.3 rebs/5.8 asst/2.3 st. He's 20 years old, but is a Junior, starting college and spending most of his freshman year at 17. He's got 3 years NCAA experience, and is only months older than some of the "freshmen" coming out.

AFBlue
04-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Embiid declared today, adding more talent to the top of the draft.

BackHome
04-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Man this draft is so deep we should be able to get someone who can at least be a good backup player. Some players that the latest mock draft have us taking:

K.J McDaniels- SF - 6'6 - Clemson
Shabazz Napier- PG - 6'1 - UConn
Clint Capela - PF - 6'10 - Switzerland
Jusuf Nurkic - C - 6'11 - Bosnia
Jarnel Stokes - PF - 6'9 - Tennessee
Mario Hezonja - SG - 6'6 - Croatia

SpursDynasty21
04-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I understand the Spurs like to pick international players and stash them, but it would be cool if they can pick someone who can make an impact on the team right away.

jyra
04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Man this draft is so deep we should be able to get someone who can at least be a good backup player. Some players that the latest mock draft have us taking:

K.J McDaniels- SF - 6'6 - Clemson
Shabazz Napier- PG - 6'1 - UConn
Clint Capela - PF - 6'10 - Switzerland
Jusuf Nurkic - C - 6'11 - Bosnia
Jarnel Stokes - PF - 6'9 - Tennessee
Mario Hezonja - SG - 6'6 - Croatia

Capela looks quite intriguing, DX has him projected in the lottery at the moment though.
He is participating in this year's Hoop Summit game, which takes place this Saturday. You can read some write ups on the practices he had so far:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Practice-Day-Three-4441 (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Practice-Day-Three-4441)

Clint Capela (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/)
Weight: 222 lbs.
Height (w/ shoes): 6'11"
Wingspan: 7'4.5"
Standing Reach: 9'2.5”
Hand Width: 10”
Hand Length: 9.6”

-Capela is about the same size as Anthony Davis (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Davis-6236/), who measured 6'10.5" in shoes with a 7'5.5" wingspan at 222 pounds. Its no wonder he ranks among the most prolific shot blockers in France.

Damien Inglis (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damien-Inglis-6428/) and Clint Capela (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/) once again were able to make a few plays on both ends with their athleticism and physical tools. Inglis continues to be a menace defensively, while Capela had a few nice sequences where he was able to make a play protecting the rim before beating everyone down the floor to receive a pass in transition to score. Capela's rawness has stood out at times, as he's clearly still learning the game, particularly in terms of his skill-level, but the glimpses of talent he drops at times thanks to his tremendous explosiveness leaves a great deal of optimism for his future.

Clint Capela (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/) finished a few lobs emphatically above the rim over the course of the day. He doesn't have the highest skill level, but his length, quick feet, and impressive leaping ability allow him to make plays around the rim and on the boards on both ends of the floor, especially when he's dialed in and playing hard.

AFBlue
04-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Inglis has Spurs written all over him...young, athletic, defense-first, French.

Chinook
04-11-2014, 01:40 AM
If by some way Capela falls to the Spurs, it'd be a miracle. But he won't. If Noguiera didn't fall out of the top 20 last year, neither will Capela.

stnick2261
04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
So I think I have my wish list for this draft. I'm mostly going off of what I've read here and at Draftexpress. I'm not sure what order I'd prefer to have them yet. Some of this info may be outdated so if anyone has seen them play, I'd love to hear more.

Draft Mock Position - Name - Playing Position - Height - Wingspan

#28 Elfrid Payton PG 6’4” – 6’7” Wingspan
Good athlete, ball-handler and PnR. Tall which helps with court vision. Defensive minded, long arms and big hands.
Bad shooter and doesn't initiate contact.

#32 Deonte Burton PG 6’1” – 6’6” Wingspan
Most athletic PG in draft. Fourth best scorer and had the lowest turnover rate. Highly efficient in PnR, isolation and transitions.
Streaky shooter. Not a facilitator.

#27 Bogdan Bogdanovic SG 6’6” – 6’11” Wingspan
Manu-esque

#11 Jusuf Nurkic C 7’ – 7’2” Wingspan
Very efficient. Crazy stats.
Low minutes because of youth, foul trouble and conditioning.

#12 Willie Cauley-Stein C 7’ – 7’2.5” Wingspan
Less of a scorer, more of a shotblocker

#13 Clint Capela C 6’11” – 7’4.5” Wingspan
Physically ready (long arms, big hands, terrific athlete). Top rebounder, shot-blocker and finisher.
Thinks he's a SF and relies on shooting

#40 Isaiah Austin C 7’1” – 7’3” Wingspan
Good size and length. Blocks and alters shots at rim. Keeps plays alive with offensive rebounds. Finishes alley-oops. Good shooter (33% 3-pts). Possible stretch-5 position.
Gets pushed around by bigger big-men.

#55 Mam Jaiteh C 6’11” – 7’4” Wingspan

I think that covers who I'd like across the draft board (in case any moves are made)

rascal
04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Forget the draft. You cheered on for the best record, now watch all the good players fly off the board in the draft.

BackHome
04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
If we win the ring it is worth it but this draft is turning out to be the best in the last ten years so we might still get a good role player

yavozerb
04-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Forget the draft. You cheered on for the best record, now watch all the good players fly off the board in the draft.

Your right...all the good players ALWAYS go early in the draft. :rolleyes

stnick2261
04-12-2014, 11:57 AM
A couple recent drafts:

2012 Tied for Best record... got us pick #30 which we traded away to get rid of Richard Jefferson (worth it)
2011 2nd Best record... got us picks #29 (Cory Joseph) and #59 (Adam Hanga)... it was such a good draft that we took advantage and made a trade of George Hill for #15 (Kawhi Leonard) and #42 (Davis Bertans).
2010 Tied for 9th Best record... got us picks #20 (James Anderson) and #49 (Ryan Richards)

2011 we had the 2nd best record and I LOVED that draft
2010 we had the highest draft pick in a decade and that was a craptacular draft.

I'm hoping this year is like 2011... draft position isn't everything

BackHome
04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
If by some way Capela falls to the Spurs, it'd be a miracle. But he won't. If Noguiera didn't fall out of the top 20 last year, neither will Capela.

Well Noguiera had a lot more hype then Capela has had so it is possible he falls but then again who knows with this Draft?

A question for you if you have a chance to get Capela or KJ McDaniels which one would you draft?

yavozerb
04-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Well Noguiera had a lot more hype then Capela has had so it is possible he falls but then again who knows with this Draft?

A question for you if you have a chance to get Capela or KJ McDaniels which one would you draft?

Personally I go with Capela..Spurs need to start getting depth at the 4 & 5 positions for the post duncan era..

Chinook
04-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Capela easily. Bigs are more valuable. Capela has a higher ceiling. He can be stashed for a couple of years. allowing him to develop on someone else's dime. Most importantly, the Spurs don't need another small wing who isn't a good playmaker and who's a shaky shooter.

Baam
04-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Can't watch the hoop summit live but should be interesting...

Also an interesting quote from DX practice log of team world :

It will be interesting to see if Trey Lyles and Clint Capela can break out of their mini-funk and display more of the promise that made them such highly touted prospects leading up to this event, as neither has looked especially comfortable thus far.

If he has a bad hoop summit Capela could fall a bit...

SpursSerb
04-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Nikola Jokic (19, 209 PF/C) will most likely enter this years draft.He wasn't suppose to,but he made quite an impression on the scouts.He has averaged 11.4 pts & 6.4 rebounds in Adriatic league this season.If the Spurs are lookin international to stash,he might be that player.

http://youtu.be/dcVimNTZNNE

exstatic
04-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Can't watch the hoop summit live but should be interesting...

Also an interesting quote from DX practice log of team world :

If he has a bad hoop summit Capela could fall a bit...

If the Spurs were hot for him, they'd have him skip it. They did with Mahinmi.

ABC
04-12-2014, 11:13 PM
I'd like to see the Spurs get a PF/C prospect, stashed or otherwise. Jean-Charles, Bertans, Thomas, Hanga, and Denmon are either not bigs or small ball bigs only (except maybe Jean-Charles). I don't think Richards counts as a prospect anymore, although if he'd play for the Toros without taking a roster spot, sure. That said, best player available makes sense since most of the above players will never play for the Spurs.

jyra
04-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Hoop Summit Boxscore:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlEF_CTCAAAnU5S.jpg

BackHome
04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Well Yahoo just had an article on Capela so I guess we can forget him..Just want someone who can play defense and can handle the rock we have enough outside shooters.

ABC
04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Jean-Charles had 27 points and 13 rebounds at the Nike Hoop Summit last year, lest we forget.

Baam
04-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Capela's agent must be pissed as this trip could indeed have cost him some money... At the very least it didn't help one bit.

AFBlue
04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Capela's agent must be pissed as this trip could indeed have cost him some money... At the very least it didn't help one bit.

Meh...he measured out really well and got some additional exposure. He was always going to be selected as a long-term prospect, so I doubt a so-so showing during the game is going to sway GMs one way or the other.

Young athletic big oozing with potential...don't see him slipping on draft day.

Baam
04-15-2014, 02:13 AM
DX just updated their mock and he fell from 13 to 18. Kyle Anderson keeps rising, gonna end up in the lottery at this pace... I believe they took out a lot of names out of their mock with players choosing to go back to college and now Payton is depressingly out of reach at 26...

At this point a big move for a slipping Capela may be just as realistic as getting Payton... I don't know... The draft doesn't look quite as good for the Spurs all of a sudden...

99 Problems
04-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Might get Mam Jaiteh at 30.

99 Problems
04-15-2014, 04:27 AM
So I think I have my wish list for this draft. I'm mostly going off of what I've read here and at Draftexpress. I'm not sure what order I'd prefer to have them yet. Some of this info may be outdated so if anyone has seen them play, I'd love to hear more.

Draft Mock Position - Name - Playing Position - Height - Wingspan

#28 Elfrid Payton PG 6’4” – 6’7” Wingspan
Good athlete, ball-handler and PnR. Tall which helps with court vision. Defensive minded, long arms and big hands.
Bad shooter and doesn't initiate contact.

#32 Deonte Burton PG 6’1” – 6’6” Wingspan
Most athletic PG in draft. Fourth best scorer and had the lowest turnover rate. Highly efficient in PnR, isolation and transitions.
Streaky shooter. Not a facilitator.

#27 Bogdan Bogdanovic SG 6’6” – 6’11” Wingspan
Manu-esque

#11 Jusuf Nurkic C 7’ – 7’2” Wingspan
Very efficient. Crazy stats.
Low minutes because of youth, foul trouble and conditioning.

#12 Willie Cauley-Stein C 7’ – 7’2.5” Wingspan
Less of a scorer, more of a shotblocker

#13 Clint Capela C 6’11” – 7’4.5” Wingspan
Physically ready (long arms, big hands, terrific athlete). Top rebounder, shot-blocker and finisher.
Thinks he's a SF and relies on shooting

#40 Isaiah Austin C 7’1” – 7’3” Wingspan
Good size and length. Blocks and alters shots at rim. Keeps plays alive with offensive rebounds. Finishes alley-oops. Good shooter (33% 3-pts). Possible stretch-5 position.
Gets pushed around by bigger big-men.

#55 Mam Jaiteh C 6’11” – 7’4” Wingspan

I think that covers who I'd like across the draft board (in case any moves are made)

Bogdan Bogdanovic is a big time prospect after the euro season he has had. Would like some Euro Spurtalkers to give their opinion of what he can do on D. Also how is Jaiteh looking 12 mths on.

Baam
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM

I like the idea of drafting Jaiteh, seems like a good deal, his stock is low yet he's still a pretty good prospect, great size and wingspan, good rebounder, mobile... Not explosive like Capela but better hands which seems more "spursy"... But if they do draft him they might as well trade down tho given how low he's projected so far... He has been kinda soft this season and really lacks some fundamentals... I don't know what to think tbh, in some ways he seems like a poor man Zbo but then again the main thing with Zbo is his toughness...

BackHome
04-15-2014, 06:59 PM
No way would I touch him in the first or even is the early second to mid range the kid is a LONG terms prospect as in never ever. In the end the most talented player that will be available will be a PG which I don't want but will probably take it and that makes CJ expendable.

exstatic
04-15-2014, 10:17 PM

He might well be available at 58. I guaranteed no one picks him in the first round, including us.

pad300
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Regarding foreign bigs, another name to put on the radar: Walter Tavares

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/walter-tavares

Gigantic, mobile, but raw as fuck... Could be a big time draft and stash.

99 Problems
04-16-2014, 12:50 AM
He might well be available at 58. I guaranteed no one picks him in the first round, including us.

Having had a look at that photo of Mam and that guy referred to as a giant on this site, Mam looks to have put on some serious upper body muscle. Plus he is very young still.

Chinook
04-16-2014, 01:51 AM

What'd you do to him? Spread bad rumors about him?

Captivus
04-16-2014, 06:48 AM
More players are starting to declare...good news.

ABC
04-16-2014, 07:20 AM
What'd you do to him? Spread bad rumors about him?

:lol

jyra
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
RC Buford mentioned in a podcast with Zach Lowe that Dusan Ivkovic, coach of the Serbian national team until last year, is coming over for the Spurs' game against the Lakers. I wonder if that's a sign that the Spurs consider drafting Bogdanovic or Micic. They both played for him at last year's EuroBasket tournament, so he should be able to provide some valuable insight on them.

AFBlue
04-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Anderson and LaVine from UCLA declared today; Anderson is a fringe lottery pick, while LaVine might be available in the Spurs' range. He's young and hyper-athletic. He started off the year on a tear before crashing back down to earth as the season wore on, but he's got some tantalizing potential...could be a steal at the end of the first.

AFBlue
04-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Jabari Parker declared today. He's really the total package and has a very no-nonsense approach to the game. If I had the #1 pick, this would be the guy I'd choose. Hopefully he doesn't end up in career purgatory locations...could see a place like Orlando working out very well for him tbqh.

Richie
04-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I think Josh Huestis could be a possibility for our #57 or #60. 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan, 34% 3 point shooter over the last 2 years

ABC
04-18-2014, 02:50 PM

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

:)

Chinook
04-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Haha indeed. Finally. Other interesting things of note are that Early is listed as a SF as opposed to a PF like he was earlier, that McAdoo is finally back in the top 60 and that several of my choices for Spurs picks have moved up. Jaiteh seems to be in no-man's land, Antetokounmpo is slated just above the Clipper's pick and that Micic would no longer be considered a reach at 30.

The draft will be interesting to say the least.

Baam
04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Jordan Adams chose to return to school... Of the players below our pick I somewhat like Robinson for his upside... Yeah a SF I know but really not many compelling choices around our pick in the latest mock, hopefully the Harrison twins enter the draft... Or we could really end up trading up or down...

Uriel
04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Sports Illustrated recently came out with their Mock Draft 1.0. They have us picking Glenn Robinson III at #30.

30. San Antonio Spurs -- Glenn Robinson III, F, Michigan
Robinson didn't develop into the lottery pick many projected he would this season. But he's a good athlete who had enough breakout games -- including a 20-point performance against Arizona -- for someone to take a chance on him. Robinson will need to improve his perimeter shooting significantly (he regressed to 30.6 percent from three-point range this season) to make it in the NBA.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140417/nba-mock-draft-andrew-wiggins-jabari-parker-joel-embiid/#ixzz2zRNFjTyQ

BackHome
04-20-2014, 03:02 PM
The draft sites are all over the place with players but realistic these are who I would go with:

Semaj Christon - PG - 6'3 - A slasher scorer who plays great defense..
Vasilje Micic - PG - 6'5 - A true PG who knows how to play the pick and roll.

Glen Robison - SF - 6'6 - A good inside scorer, very athletic someone who can take it to the basket. Will need to work with Chip on his outside shooting

Mitch McGary - C - 6'10 (266pds) A strong guy who has a big heart and will leave it all on the court. Great rebounder but will have to spend a year with Chip on outside shooting

Isiah Austin - C - 7'1 (218pds) A decent shot blocker though more upside on altering opponents shots with his height and wingspan- Plays smart but is rail thin

As far as trades I wonder what we could work out with Phil...They have pick 2 and 10 in the fist and pick 32,39,48, and 55 in the second.

TheCerebral1
04-21-2014, 10:49 AM
The draft sites are all over the place with players but realistic these are who I would go with:

Semaj Christon - PG - 6'3 - A slasher scorer who plays great defense..
Vasilje Micic - PG - 6'5 - A true PG who knows how to play the pick and roll.

Glen Robison - SF - 6'6 - A good inside scorer, very athletic someone who can take it to the basket. Will need to work with Chip on his outside shooting

Mitch McGary - C - 6'10 (266pds) A strong guy who has a big heart and will leave it all on the court. Great rebounder but will have to spend a year with Chip on outside shooting

Isiah Austin - C - 7'1 (218pds) A decent shot blocker though more upside on altering opponents shots with his height and wingspan- Plays smart but is rail thin

As far as trades I wonder what we could work out with Phil...They have pick 2 and 10 in the fist and pick 32,39,48, and 55 in the second.

Love both, but prefer Micic personally. He'll fit in very well and looks great on film from what I've seen. I like the idea of Austin, Dinwiddie, Patric Young, McAdoo, Poythress, Darkari Johnson, in the second round. Then you're obvious Spur like guys in Jaiteh, Nurkic, and some others. I've also seen Andrew Harrison fall all the way to the end of the first round. I would love that!

jyra
04-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Very interesting news. He should be another candidate for the 1st round pick. Great length/size (6'8/9 + 7'3 wingspan) for the SF position, French and just turns 19 this year.
Although he seems to be a bit too similar to LJC.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't think he should be considered for anything above the 58th pick. He'd be the worst wing prospect in the team's pipeline. I mean, if the team drafted him in the second, I'd be fine with them bringing him in for a couple of seasons to see if they could develop him, but by no means do I think he'll be the best option at 30.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 11:52 AM

:lol They've reverted the pick back to the Clippers. :bang

By the way, the new mock has the Spurs taking Mitch McGary at 30. Seems like a fine Baynes replacement who could hopefully develop into a solid backup center for the post-Duncan era. I don't know much about him, but I feel that's a fine plan. I'd still prefer drafting a PG and looking for international front-court players (or McAdoo) in the second.

AFBlue
04-21-2014, 01:00 PM

By the way, the new mock has the Spurs taking Mitch McGary at 30. Seems like a fine Baynes replacement who could hopefully develop into a solid backup center for the post-Duncan era. I don't know much about him, but I feel that's a fine plan. I'd still prefer drafting a PG and looking for international front-court players (or McAdoo) in the second.

McGary seems too risky because of his injury history. He had a great tourney run a couple years ago, but he hasn't really shown the consistency to be a reliable pick.

yavozerb
04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
McGary seems too risky because of his injury history. He had a great tourney run a couple years ago, but he hasn't really shown the consistency to be a reliable pick.

at #30 I would gladly take mcgary, however I think he ends up back at school instead of draft.

ABC
04-21-2014, 01:22 PM

:downspin: I'm assuming he used an old template for the mock or something similarly accidental. Or he's trying to torment you.

If they can find a decent center at 30, that would be great, NCAA or international. That's definitely my hope. It's such a low pick though, just finding any player good enough to play in the NBA would be a win.

I think I remember Bruno saying that teams use a tier system when they approach the draft. If a player is in a higher tier than other available players, they go with that player regardless of need. It's only when players are in the same tier that position is taken into account. I'm sure it's not a hard and fast rule, even when teams do use that method.

I think I'd only want a draft and stash PG at 30. I don't think they've given up on Joseph and he's only 22. Even if they aren't able to re-sign Mills, I think a vet PG makes more sense for next year in case Joseph flames out.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
:downspin: I'm assuming he used an old template for the mock or something similarly accidental. Or he's trying to torment you.

If they can find a decent center at 30, that would be great, NCAA or international. That's definitely my hope. It's such a low pick though, just finding any player good enough to play in the NBA would be a win.

I think I remember Bruno saying that teams use a tier system when they approach the draft. If a player is in a higher tier than other available players, they go with that player regardless of need. It's only when players are in the same tier that position is taken into account. I'm sure it's not a hard and fast rule, even when teams do use that method.

I think I'd only want a draft and stash PG at 30. I don't think they've given up on Joseph and he's only 22. Even if they aren't able to re-sign Mills, I think a vet PG makes more sense for next year in case Joseph flames out.

Well the advantage of a big PG like Micic is that he can play multiple positions. So if the team were to sign a vet backup PG, then Micic could be depth at both guard spots. I don't think the Spurs will sign a vet backup, though, even if Mills leaves. I think they would have tried to do so this season if they were going to, as they had no idea Mills was going to be as good as he has been. With Ginobili and Beli in the fold for the next season, I think the team will be fine with defender like Joseph. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PG depth chart of Parker, Joseph, Micic and Denmon next season, or maybe I would just prefer it.

Captivus
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Would you trade all 3 picks for a #25 pick next year?
Assuming the Spurs are not the best team next year...maybe they package those 2 picks (idk...#25 and #26) and get the #15 next year.
Would you do that if possible?

AFBlue
04-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Very interesting news. He should be another candidate for the 1st round pick. Great length/size (6'8/9 + 7'3 wingspan) for the SF position, French and just turns 19 this year.
Although he seems to be a bit too similar to LJC.

It doesn't surprise me after how well he measured out at the Hoops Summit. He didn't have the performance LJC did, but his measurables, youth and defensive potential make him a definite possibility.

I'd put the early odds on him being the first round pick for the Spurs...foreign, young developmental project and teammate of LJC.

I also think LJC is a PF long-term, while Inglis' future is at SF.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Would you trade all 3 picks for a #25 pick next year?
Assuming the Spurs are not the best team next year...maybe they package those 2 picks (idk...#25 and #26) and get the #15 next year.
Would you do that if possible?

Huh? You can't predict who will have the 25th pick in 2015 yet.

Even if I could, I wouldn't. This is a deep draft class, and the 30th pick this season is worth about what the 25th pick is next year, and that doesn't even account for having to wait a whole year. Then you factor in two seconds which may yield some value eventually. I wouldn't. I can't say if I'd trade the 2015 25th and 26th picks for the 2015 15th pick yet, because I have no idea how the draft board for next year will break down.

Captivus
04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Huh? You can't predict who will have the 25th pick in 2015 yet.

Even if I could, I wouldn't. This is a deep draft class, and the 30th pick this season is worth about what the 25th pick is next year, and that doesn't even account for having to wait a whole year. Then you factor in two seconds which may yield some value eventually. I wouldn't. I can't say if I'd trade the 2015 25th and 26th picks for the 2015 15th pick yet, because I have no idea how the draft board for next year will break down.

The reasoning behind my scenario, is that next year draft is key for the Spurs, otherwise they end up being mediocre until they tank for a lottery pick...or...trade up in the draft starting NOW. Maybe TD and MG get injured next year and the Spurs get the #15 pick regardless.
Also, the talent increases exponentially in the draft, the difference between a #30 and a #20 is not equal to the difference between #10 and #1 pick.
Just a thought...

yavozerb
04-21-2014, 02:02 PM
#25 pick is not going to help the spurs much more than #30 pick. Now moving a player Like green (ala george hill) to move up to 15-20 may be an option since next season will be the last yr in his contract but moving picks for other picks just dont seem like a good option to me

Baam
04-21-2014, 02:08 PM
It's an headache to try to find the best way to handle the end of the Duncan era... The answer will probably be a mix of draft and FA... Maybe the FA will be someone gettable/somewhat under the radar like a Stephenson while the draft is the best way to get the next big (Capela?)...

Wouldn't rule out a big trade with the Suns who need both a wing and a center (Green and Splitter)... The Spurs draft Capela and free some cap space to sign Stephenson...

Baam
04-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Anyway the closer we get to the end of the Duncan era, the more likely they are to take a chance and make a significant move...

Richie
04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
It's an headache to try to find the best way to handle the end of the Duncan era... The answer will probably be a mix of draft and FA... Maybe the FA will be someone gettable/somewhat under the radar like a Stephenson while the draft is the best way to get the next big (Capela?)...

Wouldn't rule out a big trade with the Suns who need both a wing and a center (Green and Splitter)... The Spurs draft Capela and free some cap space to sign Stephenson...

We aren't signing Stephenson under any circumstances. Even if we had the cap space, the spurs don't need another wing in the post Duncan era, we need a defensive big man.

Spurs need to go all out for Marc Gasol, I think he's attainable, perfect fit and we'll have cap space to sign him while keeping our important role players next summer.

Richie
04-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Anyway the closer we get to the end of the Duncan era, the more likely they are to take a chance and make a significant move...

I think the opposite. We have Kawhi for likely 6 more years and Parker should retire a Spur. Rushing in to a bad contract (like $65m/5yr for Stephenson) would hamstring us horribly. RC and Pop won't rush in to a bad contract just because Timmy is retiring

Baam
04-21-2014, 02:48 PM
It's not about rushing, it's about seizing the best opportunities... Everyone seems to have tunnel vision on Gasol (when we have zero Spanish player on the team), Aldridge who said he'd like to play in a big market when he almost forced an exit with Portland and Love who already pledged loyalty to the Lakers...

The point is getting a young guard may turn out to be the best plan of action... Instead of chasing impossible signings and setting ourselves up for failure...

Why would Aldridge leave a great young guard like Lillard to play in another small market with a tosb like TP... Maybe you have to take it one step at a time and get the young guard of the future first...

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:12 PM

I wouldn't trade Splitter for Capela straight-up. No way I add Green to that mix. Adding Stephenson probably seals the Spurs as the worst team in the division for 2015 on.

Baam
04-21-2014, 03:14 PM
458329605641093122He's finishing the season strong so he's probably right to do that... And if he does stay in the draft then that'll mean he got a great promise in the meantime...

ABC
04-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Well the advantage of a big PG like Micic is that he can play multiple positions. So if the team were to sign a vet backup PG, then Micic could be depth at both guard spots. I don't think the Spurs will sign a vet backup, though, even if Mills leaves. I think they would have tried to do so this season if they were going to, as they had no idea Mills was going to be as good as he has been. With Ginobili and Beli in the fold for the next season, I think the team will be fine with defender like Joseph. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PG depth chart of Parker, Joseph, Micic and Denmon next season, or maybe I would just prefer it.

Would definitely rather see them draft a guard that can play either position than another PG only. That's why I liked the idea of De Colo (his actual play was another story).

It doesn't surprise me after how well he measured out at the Hoops Summit.

DX has his Hoop Summit weight at 240 :wow

Baam
04-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Stephenson is incredible, 5 triple doubles this season, he's just starting to get it together, make him work with Chip on his shot and you have a monster in the making... Lol at Stephenson making any team worse than they are, on the other hand that's what Splitter did in the Finals...

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
It's not about rushing, it's about seizing the best opportunities... Everyone seems to have tunnel vision on Gasol (when we have zero Spanish player on the team), Aldridge who said he'd like to play in a big market when he almost forced an exit with Portland and Love who already pledged loyalty to the Lakers...

The point is getting a young guard may turn out to be the best plan of action... Instead of chasing impossible signings and setting ourselves up for failure...

Why would Aldridge leave a great young guard like Lillard to play in another small market with a tosb like TP... Maybe you have to take it one step at a time and get the young guard of the future first...

Aldridge will be 30. He won't be looking for a young guard to growth with. He'll be looking for the best supporting cast he can get. If Portland doesn't make tangible progress soon, the Spurs will look be the more attractive location. Proven role-players, a former fMVP sidekick and the best third wheel this side of Miami. Not to mention a HoF head coach. Not saying LA would be guaranteed to choose the Spurs over Portland, but I am saying it wouldn't be hard to figure out his reasoning if he did.

What does the Spurs lack of Spanish players have to do with anything? There aren't many Spaniards in the league. If anything, Gasol would feel more comfortable with his front-court mate also speaking Spanish in Splitter. I'm not a huge Gasol fan anyway, but I don't think that's an impossible signing. What I do think is an impossible signing is Stephenson. I'd rather the team try to pry Hayward from Utah for the max than even throw the MLE at Lance, and I don't want Hayward at all.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Stephenson is incredible, 5 triple doubles this season, he's just starting to get it together, make him work with Chip on his shot and you have a monster in the making... Lol at Stephenson making any team worse than they are, on the other hand that's what Splitter did in the Finals...

:lol Lance was terrible in the playoffs last year outside of two games where he shot a freakishly high FG% (for him). He's barely a plus player when you look at advanced stats. He was pretty much Green's equal after the All-Star break this season. I don't know where you're getting this idea that he's great or even worth the baggage he brings.

Baam
04-21-2014, 03:40 PM
He's arguably the best Pacers at this point... And he completely took Wade out of the series in the ECF...

He can pass, defend, rebound and dribble... Pretty much everything... That's what I like...

AFBlue
04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
DX has his Hoop Summit weight at 240 :wow

From the article on player measurements...

-Inglis looks like a grown man at first glance, and the 18 year old Frenchman lives up to that impression on paper. No small forward in our database that weighs 240 pounds or more has a wingspan on par with Inglis's. His closest match physically may beLeBron James, who stood 6'8 in shoes and weighed 245 pounds with a 7'0.25" wingspan before the 2003 draft. Inglis's wingspan is the same as that ofRudy GayandKawhi Leonard. The young small forward is a unique physical specimen.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2zYUPm5qS
http://www.draftexpress.com

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:43 PM
He's arguably the best Pacers at this point... And he completely took Wade out of the series in the ECF...

He can pass, defend, rebound and dribble... That's what I like...

Yeah, he's arguably the best player on a team that has a 16-15 record since the All-Star break. He's the best player on a team that was drubbed by the Hawks two games in a row. You don't see anything wrong with that?

Baam
04-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Sure it's a concern but Hibbert's meltdown is so brutal it's hard to draw any conclusion...

Interesting stuff on Inglis...

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah, back on topic. Inglis is interesting. If the Spurs think he has real potential, they shouldn't worry that they have so many wings in the pipeline already. But I just don't see him making sense unless the draft breaks down in the worst way for the Spurs. I can totally see Philly taking him at the top of the second, though. They have plenty of picks to burn on players like this.

BackHome
04-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Looks good but they have him playing PF which he won't make it in the NBA....

ABC
04-21-2014, 05:24 PM
-Inglis looks like a grown man at first glance, and the 18 year old Frenchman lives up to that impression on paper. No small forward in our database that weighs 240 pounds or more has a wingspan on par with Inglis's. His closest match physically may beLeBron James, who stood 6'8 in shoes and weighed 245 pounds with a 7'0.25" wingspan before the 2003 draft. Inglis's wingspan is the same as that of Rudy Gay and Kawhi Leonard. The young small forward is a unique physical specimen.

:tu

exstatic
04-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Is Inglis even draft eligible this year? He's still only 18.

exstatic
04-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Looks good but they have him playing PF which he won't make it in the NBA....

You think? He's 6'9" 240.

ABC
04-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Is Inglis even draft eligible this year? He's still only 18.

Draft picks have to turn 19 during the calendar year of the draft to be eligible. He'll be 19 in May.

raybies
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
has inglis declared?

ABC
04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
has inglis declared?

[QUOTE=jyra;7258177]458271817988595712

Richie
04-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Inglis looks like a great candidate. Probably not there at 30 but he sounds like a great prospect and we could leave LJC in France to continue to rehab from his ACL tear.

ABC
04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Not much chance Inglis would play for the Spurs next year if they draft him. He's only averaging 5 points in 15 minutes in French Pro A play this year. He's a decent prospect, but he's still a couple years away.

raybies
04-22-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking isaiah austin at 30.

yavozerb
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Non Euro realistic players I am hoping are around at #30 in order: (not players we know will be gone already)
1.Napier (Would be a great replacement for Mills if he goes elsewhere)
2.Mcgary (Guy has spurs written all over him and would be great in backing up Tiago with same kind of skillset)
3. Glenn Robinson (Good size and I think could improve on his outside shooting to fill back up 3 spot)

AFBlue
04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking isaiah austin at 30.

Won't ever gain the requisite weight to be an effective post player on either side of the ball. He also doesn't have the mentality to dominate the way his length and skill set suggest he should.
He's still very young, but I think it's more likely he busts than succeeds.

BackHome
04-22-2014, 07:18 PM
My pick is Semaj Christon PG - Xavier - 6'3 - The guy is only 20 years and has a quick first step is athletic as hell on offense and defense. He is already good and still has major upside as far as him being better on his outside shooting. I would rather draft a player that can start with the second unit day one with potential then getting someone with potential who may not even make it in the d- league.

Brazil
04-23-2014, 10:56 AM

about Inglis, just found that on Yahoo page: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/france-s-damien-inglis-to-enter-nba-draft-003531152.html

Richie
04-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Won't ever gain the requisite weight to be an effective post player on either side of the ball. He also doesn't have the mentality to dominate the way his length and skill set suggest he should.
He's still very young, but I think it's more likely he busts than succeeds.

Agree. I wouldn't take him at 30 but with his eyesight problems (he's legally part blind) I think there's a chance he's available at 57 where I'd roll the dice

Richie
04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Not much chance Inglis would play for the Spurs next year if they draft him. He's only averaging 5 points in 15 minutes in French Pro A play this year. He's a decent prospect, but he's still a couple years away.

If he can shoot the NBA 3 around 40% consistently (39% last year in France ) he would be able to contribute right away with his NBA ready body.

Chinook
04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
How does Inglis compare to Jan Vesely a few years ago?

AFBlue
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
about Inglis, just found that on Yahoo page: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/france-s-damien-inglis-to-enter-nba-draft-003531152.html

Article says he debuted at #32, but he's actually #38. I think he might be a riser on draft night, but he's probably still a late first round pick.

AFBlue
04-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Agree. I wouldn't take him at 30 but with his eyesight problems (he's legally part blind) I think there's a chance he's available at 57 where I'd roll the dice

With many of the high-upside bigs opting to return to college (see: Kentucky bigs), I think Austin will see his stock improve significantly as we approach the draft. I expect him to be a first round pick when all is said and done...just don't want it to be the Spurs who take him.

Uriel
04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Chad Ford of ESPN has the Spurs picking Jarnel Stokes in his 2014 NBA Mock Draft 4.0.

Jarnell Stokes
San Antonio Spurs (62 - 20)
COLLEGE: Tennessee
HT: 6-8
WT: 250
POS: PF

Analyisis: Stokes might be undersized, but he's a great rebounder and has the strength to create space. The Spurs have found places for players such as him in the past. And don't forget, though he might be a junior, he's still just 20 years old.

raybies
04-24-2014, 08:47 AM
considering that the three positions of need for the spurs are back up pg, back up sf , and back up big they most likely would go for one of these positions, yet they could go for a sg if its a player they can stash or develop for a year.

for pg napier would be awesome but we do have patty and cory. a lot depends on how patty does in these plawords cause I think cory has 3rd string pg locked up for the foreseeable future. if not napier Burton might work.

as for sg bogdanovic and lavine fit the bill. and since we have ginobili and belinelli for next year maybe a project player would work since these minutes are gobbled up.

immediate sf would be Robinson or antetokounpo. this role would really be 5-10 minutes or more with injuries so I could see this going to a fa . rob more offensive and anteto defensive. I really am high on anteto. could see him being a Bruce bowen if we can get him to focus. with a 2nd though. then there's inglis. a young French prospect how can we resist. if the spurs are high on him then they have to pick him in the first cause there's no way he lasts to the bottom of the second right ?

now with bigs there's mcgary, stokes, and austin. most likely the spurs just resign baynes and bonner but if not baynes than mcgary might work and if not bonner than Austin. now I can tell some aren't as high on Austin as I am but let me tell why. I really think he could be a productive player in the system. although not as tough or strong as we would like he is long and a rim protector. I see him as a pf . he could also play pick and pop much like Duncan does at the top of the key. he's also from Texas.

my rankings would be napier, lavine and austin for domestics in that order and inglis, bogdanovic, and antetokounpo for foreigners.

raybies
04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
add Patrick young and jokic to the list. Florida Sr. seem to do well in the nba . could be a late round steal. also like kane .

AFBlue
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Chad Ford of ESPN has the Spurs picking Jarnel Stokes in his 2014 NBA Mock Draft 4.0.

Interesting...hadn't really considered him. I would hesitate to draft a player with one great skill and so many question marks, but if the Spurs think he can develop into a more well rounded player then it might be a solid choice.

Btw, Chad's logic of "they've done it before" is bogus. Blair was a projected lottery pick with elite production that was a solid value pick at #37. Chances are the Spurs will have better value at a higher need position available when they draft at #30.

AFBlue
04-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Another interesting guy declared today in Spencer Dinwiddie from Colorado. He can do a little bit of everything...score, distribute, rebound, and defend. He tore his ACL earlier this year, so obviously he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. But as we face Manu retiring, the Spurs will need another backcourt player focused on distributing and playmaking. Dinwiddie may be a good value pick at the end of the first.

He's listed as the #25 pick in the 2015 draft on DX right now, so it'll be interesting to see where he debuts when the next listing comes out since he's now officially in this draft.

BackHome
04-24-2014, 11:35 PM
After watching the first two games of the Mav's all I want is a player that can handle the rock without turning the ball over. Also want a player who hates to loose and takes it as an insult and who doesn't mind mixing it up on the court we need some "Nasty" attitude in who ever we pick.

eDizzle20
04-25-2014, 08:02 AM
The nice thing with this draft is that it is deep at the PG position, which is one the Spurs need help with. I personally prefer Payton or Christon due to their athleticism and length even though their shooting is pretty raw.

rascal
04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Sports Illustrated recently came out with their Mock Draft 1.0. They have us picking Glenn Robinson III at #30.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140417/nba-mock-draft-andrew-wiggins-jabari-parker-joel-embiid/#ixzz2zRNFjTyQ

Forget about it. The Spurs don't get athletic American players. Think foreign stash.

BackHome
04-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Draft Net has us taking a PG - Semaj Christon....would be happy with that pick.

raybies
04-25-2014, 05:02 PM
deandre daniels would be a great pick up. id put him on the top of my list.

AFBlue
04-25-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't know why the Spurs would go with a PG. Even if they lose Mills, they still have CoJo under contract for the next couple years.

I think there are more pressing needs at SF or in the frontcourt.

BackHome
04-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Probably if they go for the most talented player it will be a PG if the go for need then any other position. Having CoJo as your second string PG is the same as saying "We going to tank for lottery pick" next year.

Don't get me wrong I would still be happy with Glen Robinson, Mc Daniels, or even Mitch Mc Gary if his back checks out. What I really want though is to do a trade with someone --Green/CoJo ..

AFBlue
04-25-2014, 07:20 PM
By the way, McGary declared today after he failed a drug test and likely would have sat out part or all of next season. I'm not sold on him because of the injury concerns, but I'm sure his unceremonious exit from college ball doesn't help his stock.

yavozerb
04-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Probably if they go for the most talented player it will be a PG if the go for need then any other position. Having CoJo as your second string PG is the same as saying "We going to tank for lottery pick" next year.

Don't get me wrong I would still be happy with Glen Robinson, Mc Daniels, or even Mitch Mc Gary if his back checks out. What I really want though is to do a trade with someone --Green/CoJo ..

The spurs have cojo under contract for 1 more season only. He has gotten better each season as a spur so they need to decide if he can keep the upward trend going. Cojo is only 22 yrs old, only 1 yr older than say christon, so age is not a factor in my opinion. I do not think any the pg's who will be around are any better at scoring than cojo and cojo is head and shoulders better than them on the defensive end. I have also heard about size being a factor in drafting these pg's, cojo is 6'3, so again not a step up in my book. If winning now is a factor then cojo being the spurs system is a huge plus instead of a brand new rookie learning the system and learning the nba lifestyle. With that said I either want to see a college big or frontcourt player like Mcgary or robinson, followed closely by euro draft and stash player with best player availble on that front.

AFBlue
04-25-2014, 08:51 PM
The spurs have cojo under contract for 1 more season only.

Not true. Both he and Kawhi have qualifying offers in 2015 as restricted free agents. If no one offers him a contract, or if he so chooses, he can sign the one year tender and be fully unrestricted the following year.

I know your post was pro-Joseph, but I wanted to make sure you had his contract situation right.

yavozerb
04-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Not true. Both he and Kawhi have qualifying offers in 2015 as restricted free agents. If no one offers him a contract, or if he so chooses, he can sign the one year tender and be fully unrestricted the following year.

I know your post was pro-Joseph, but I wanted to make sure you had his contract situation right.

Understood. But he is still a FA, restricted or unrestricted, he is free to do what he wants to do as a player. A qualifying offer does not gurantee he will be a spur after the following season, that is all i am saying.

AFBlue
04-25-2014, 10:46 PM

I get "best player available", but hopefully there are multiple players in the same tier available and the Spurs can draft the best player at a need position.

As for Joseph, I think he's an effective backup PG. He may not be an explosive scorer, but he's a decent all-around player. I'm confident the Spurs could lose Mills and keep on course with CoJo.

AFBlue
04-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Understood. But he is still a FA, restricted or unrestricted, he is free to do what he wants to do as a player. A qualifying offer does not gurantee he will be a spur after the following season, that is all i am saying.

It's not guaranteed, but the Spurs ultimately control whether he stays or goes after next year.

Darkwaters
04-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I know he has flaws, but I want Antetokounmpo

AFBlue
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I know he has flaws, but I want Antetokounmpo

It's crazy that with his size, length, athleticism and overall potential (especially defensively) he's considered a mid-late SECOND round pick. That just goes to show how unbelievably deep this draft is, especially at that hybrid forward position. Here's a list of all the potential SFs with the ones in Spurs draft range (first or second) highlighted. Pretty crazy...

Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Dario Saric
Doug McDermott
James Young
TJ Warren
Kyle Anderson
Jerami Grant
KJ McDaniels
Rodney Hood
Cleanthony Early
DeAndre Daniels
Glenn Robinson
Damien Inglis
LaQuinton Ross
Thanasis Antetokuonpo
Josh Huestis

Baam
04-26-2014, 01:23 PM
The problem with SFs is do they want to add any more player at that position when you already have Bertans and especially Jean Charles at SF, that'd be the third SF they'd pick in the first round in a row (Kiwi, Livio, ?)...

And there's also a whole lot of PG but I'm not really impressed with any of the semi realistic choices aside from Payton...

Maybe someone like Dinwiddie, a 6"6 combo guard could be a good option... He's has several red flags or he wouldn't be that low but hey it is what it is... I want a ball handler/playmaker with good defensive potential... Elfrid Payton, Dinwiddie, maybe Micic...

raybies
04-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Agree with Baam. If pg is not really a position of need than sf would be about the same. We have 3 small forwards in the pipeline already. We just need to go for best player available. Picking George Hill led to Kawhi Leonard and Davis Bertans. If we can find a player that can be a rotational player with starter potential than thats what we should be looking for.

Tony Parker is most likely going to retire a Spur but a back up that could take his place in the event of a departure would be on the list. Danny Green is here but his contract is up in 2015 as well as Marcos so a sg spot is available for the right pick. Small forward is pretty well stocked with Leonard taking the bulk of the minutes so any pick here that has starter potential could be traded down the road. And that leaves the big spot which Timmy could leave open at any time.

I could see Shabazz Napier with the potential to be a starter for pg and there's Micic, Zach Lavine and Bogdan Bogdanovic as the sg, Deandre, Robinson, or Inglis as the 3, and Austin, Young, Jokic, or Mcgary as the bigs for the 1st round pick.

For the second, Antetokounpo, Kane, Mcadoo but these most likely go draft and stash.

smaka
04-26-2014, 03:04 PM
deandre daniels would be a great pick up. id put him on the top of my list.

I agree, I think he is "Spurs" type of guy. I thought he was returning to UConn, though.

AFBlue
04-26-2014, 06:32 PM
The problem with SFs is do they want to add any more player at that position when you already have Bertans and especially Jean Charles at SF, that'd be the third SF they'd pick in the first round in a row (Kiwi, Livio, ?)...

And there's also a whole lot of PG but I'm not really impressed with any of the semi realistic choices aside from Payton...

Maybe someone like Dinwiddie, a 6"6 combo guard could be a good option... He's has several red flags or he wouldn't be that low but hey it is what it is... I want a ball handler/playmaker with good defensive potential... Elfrid Payton, Dinwiddie, maybe Micic...

LJC is a PF, but I take your point. I think a facilitating combo guard or mobile big are better fits, but I could still see the Spurs going with a SF given Kawhi's versatility to play/defend three positions.

AFBlue
04-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Another interesting guy declared today in Spencer Dinwiddie from Colorado. He can do a little bit of everything...score, distribute, rebound, and defend. He tore his ACL earlier this year, so obviously he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. But as we face Manu retiring, the Spurs will need another backcourt player focused on distributing and playmaking. Dinwiddie may be a good value pick at the end of the first.

He's listed as the #25 pick in the 2015 draft on DX right now, so it'll be interesting to see where he debuts when the next listing comes out since he's now officially in this draft.

Debuted at #47, probably due to question marks around how he'll recover from the ACL tear.

AFBlue
04-26-2014, 09:05 PM
I agree, I think he is "Spurs" type of guy. I thought he was returning to UConn, though.

Entering per Woj on Twitter yesterday. I would embed the tweet, but I don't know how.

AFBlue
04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
And there's also a whole lot of PG

Truth is, there's a whole lot of everything in this draft. Combo guards that can score and facilitate...LaVine, Bogdanovic, Payton, Micic, Dinwiddie, Clarkson, Marble. The athletic bigs...Capela, Payne, McGary, Austin, Klimenko, Young, Powell, Jefferson, Birch, McAdoo.

BackHome
04-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah this draft is so deep it is hard to figure out who goes when

rascal
04-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Agree with Baam. If pg is not really a position of need than sf would be about the same. We have 3 small forwards in the pipeline already. We just need to go for best player available. Picking George Hill led to Kawhi Leonard and Davis Bertans. If we can find a player that can be a rotational player with starter potential than thats what we should be looking for.

Tony Parker is most likely going to retire a Spur but a back up that could take his place in the event of a departure would be on the list. Danny Green is here but his contract is up in 2015 as well as Marcos so a sg spot is available for the right pick. Small forward is pretty well stocked with Leonard taking the bulk of the minutes so any pick here that has starter potential could be traded down the road. And that leaves the big spot which Timmy could leave open at any time.

I could see Shabazz Napier with the potential to be a starter for pg and there's Micic, Zach Lavine and Bogdan Bogdanovic as the sg, Deandre, Robinson, or Inglis as the 3, and Austin, Young, Jokic, or Mcgary as the bigs for the 1st round pick.

For the second, Antetokounpo, Kane, Mcadoo but these most likely go draft and stash.

Napier won't be a good NBA player, too small.

raybies
04-27-2014, 01:50 PM
another baller just entered. Jordan adams. he should fall close to our first so more likely hood we walk away with a solid prospect.

BackHome
04-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Through draft or free agency we have to get a backup PG who can keep there dribble alive and create for other players. (Semaj Christon- Vasilje Micic). We then need to get rid of Danny Green he is OK as a backup but he is not close to starting material (Adam Hanga) not sure if he is good enough to replace him but I know he can dribble and not turn the ball over.

AFBlue
04-27-2014, 10:03 PM
another baller just entered. Jordan adams. he should fall close to our first so more likely hood we walk away with a solid prospect.

Good news. He seems to be one-dimensional, but it's a dimension the Spurs tend to covet; shooting. I think in the least it adds another prospect to this already deep group.

Captivus
04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Nurkic:
Nbadraft has him at #34
Draftexpress at #11

jyra
04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Player profile:
http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1478/kristaps-porzingis/

Another interesting option, projected to be the 23rd pick by DX. Pretty impressive that he is 18 and already getting regular minutes for an ACB team. Also can't hurt to have another Latvian to go along with Bertans.

raybies
04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Players I could see falling in the draft, Capela, Grant, Mcdaniels, Porzingis , Hairston , Payton , and Payne . but of all these I would like Payne or Porzingis. Don't know much about Porzingis but from what I seen he's a young with potential.

our serbian ties might lead us to a bogdanovic, micic, and jokic which of whom are Serbs.

Richie
04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
The more I read, the more I like Inglis. 6'9 240 with a 7'3 wingspan and shooting nearly 39% from 3 with the kid still only 18.

smaka
04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Nurkic:
Nbadraft has him at #34
Draftexpress at #11

11 is too high for him...

AFBlue
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM
It should be noted the International prospects can still withdraw if this is the first draft they've declared for. I guarantee some are just declaring for the exposure and to get a gauge on their draft stock. It's good they're in for now, but it likely won't stay this way.