PDA

View Full Version : Super Zips --- Where Does Yours Rank?

symple19
11-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Interesting map from WashPo http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2013/11/09/washington-a-world-apart/

This map highlights in yellow the nation's Super Zips — those ranking highest on income and college education. The largest collection of Super Zips is around Washington, D.C.

27713 = 81

What's funny is that you can see the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill triad on the map (green/yellow) surrounded by the blues of all the redneck/backwoods counties. You can also easily pick out the bad parts of cities, often right next to a zip that ranks very high (My zip is next to the worst zips in Durham, which rank as a 57 and 61. Cary (a super zip) is a two minute drive from where I live in Southpoint and ranks 98 (home to a large part of the research triangle)

The zips around DC are striking. lol a 95 with a median income over 100k right next to a 13 with a median income of 34k. NE/SE are absolute shitholes :lol

symple19
11-15-2013, 07:16 AM
from the article:

Although the wealthiest Americans have always lived in their own islands of privilege, sociologists and demographers say the degree to which today’s professional class resides in a world apart is a departure from earlier generations. People of widely different incomes and professions commonly lived close enough that they mingled at stores, sports arenas and school. In an era in which women had fewer educational and professional opportunities, lawyers married secretaries and doctors married nurses. Now, lawyers and doctors marry each other.

symple19
11-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Some sociologists think the trend is isolating well-to-do Americans from the problems of the poor and the working poor, and impeding upward mobility that has long been part of the American dream.
“So much of opportunity in America depends on what sociologists call social capital,” said Stephen Klineberg, a Rice University sociologist. “Who you know. Who’s willing to invest in your skills.”
As the affluent become more isolated, the working class and the poor become confined “to communities where no one has a college education and no one has connections to the world,” Klineberg said. “The social capital that’s so necessary for upward mobility is more difficult to come by than it was in the old days when there was broad-based prosperity.”

CubanMustGo
11-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Interesting. Where I live now is a 92, where I grew up (and still have family) is 8.

symple19
11-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Probably should have put this in the political forum

CubanMustGo
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, you're unlikely to get any kind of intelligent discussion going in the wasteland now known as the Club, unless all the "gotta have the last word" types hijack the conversation.

symple19
11-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, you're unlikely to get any kind of intelligent discussion going in the wasteland now known as the Club, unless all the "gotta have the last word" types hijack the conversation.

lol, true

ChumpDumper
11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Current ZIP: 84

Hometown ZIP: 35

High school ZIP: 5

lol

CuckingFunt
11-15-2013, 01:54 PM
All of my zips feel wrong. I think I've lived in too many mixed up neighborhoods in my life.

My current zip includes the garden district, a shitload of multi-million St. Charles mansions, and is one of the highest in the New Orleans metro area, but is only a 68. Whereas the zip code I grew up in (a small and economically diverse city that all shares one zip) is crazy high despite my former neighborhood still being ghetto as hell. About the only ratings I've found that match up with my experience of the area are San Rafael and Albany, CA, which are both in the Bay Area and are both rated in the 80s.

mrsmaalox
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Where I live now 97, where I grew up 76.