PDA

View Full Version : i hate car dealerships, their...

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 07:53 AM
...salesmen, and their wives, girlfriends, children, crack dealers, bookies and whoever else they support by leeching off of the general car buying public.

they should be taken out back and shot. then drawn and quartered. then shit on. then burned. then pissed on.

hopefully one day they will have a physician neglect to tell them that they have cancer and then they can die a slow, painful and agonizing death.

fuck 'em.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 07:59 AM
they are pussies if you know how to handle them...

IX_Equilibrium
07-27-2005, 08:00 AM
So I take it you got shafted in your car buying experiance?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
even pussies can get one over on you when they know whats wrong with the vehicle and you dont.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 08:10 AM
that is why when you buy used you hire an independent mechanic to check it over...

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 08:13 AM
some of us dont have the fucking time for that shit. this wasn't joe's used car lot.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
when you think of it... what takes more time.. hiring a mechanic who checks the car out or having to fix one that you already spent money on?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
arguing on the internet with someone who apparently has never had a problem with anything they've bought in their enitre life.

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Give them an opportunity to make it right, and if they don't, start naming names to BBB & media outlets.

ObiwanGinobili
07-27-2005, 08:19 AM
my husband works for a car dealership. but he's not a suit or salesguy.
Suits and salesguys are generally refferes to as having "hands like wet toilet paper".

Solid D
07-27-2005, 08:20 AM
What goes around, comes around. Sorry about your bad experience.

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Wow, I'm impressed with your hostility. So you want them to get the cancer after they are shot, quartered, shit on, burned, and pissed on? Or do you want them to get the cancer before all of that and spend 6-8 months in pain and then take them out back and do all that stuff to them?

Shelly
07-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Depends on the dealership. Higher end car dealerships leave you alone.

Solid D
07-27-2005, 10:55 AM
On second thought, I'd say you probably got what was coming to you. :smokin

Taco
07-27-2005, 11:26 AM
USED CAR?

Go to CarMax there're Great!!!!!

pseudofan
07-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I love car dealerships :) They give me nice new cars....

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 11:31 AM
arguing on the internet with someone who apparently has never had a problem with anything they've bought in their enitre life.

a little planning makes things easier... get a mechanic BEFORE you buy the car and you wouldn't be pissed off dumbass!

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
:lol

Clandestino is the most unsympathetic person I've ever seen in my life.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I always recommend using a third party mechanic to check out a car.

I once helped a friend buy a car and I brought a mechanic I know (which isn't always easy to arrange) to the used lot. He spotted about 6 problems with the car without even driving it around.

I think it cost me a tuneup and my friend a lunch but ended up saving some serious cash.

It's always a good idea to consult a mechanic, even at a "respectable" used car lot.

I agree about hating car dealerships.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Shelly
07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
I love car dealerships :) They give me nice new cars....

me too! it will be here this week. Now we have to figure out what to do with nice old car that's banged up :lol

T Park
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Thats life....

JoePublic
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I know I love the car dealership commercials with Vanessa Macias!!!

Mockity, mock, mock!!!

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
a little planning makes things easier... get a mechanic BEFORE you buy the car and you wouldn't be pissed off dumbass!

well aren't you little miss perfect. we know the type, the guy who's always gotten one over on everyone else and knows how everything works even though he didn't even make it through high school.

shit, you must be a car salesman.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 01:59 PM
well aren't you little miss perfect. we know the type, the guy who's always gotten one over on everyone else and knows how everything works even though he didn't even make it through high school.

shit, you must be a car salesman.

haha, you're a funny little pussy...

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
better than...you.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 02:34 PM
at least i have a working car! :lmao

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
as do i. unlike you i can afford more than one.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 02:49 PM
as do i. unlike you i can afford more than one.

used pieces of shit don't count! :lmao

i could buy like 40 used pieces of shit for the amount my suv and harley cost, but they would still be 40 pieces of shit...

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 02:58 PM
suv + harley isn't jack.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 03:29 PM
...salesmen, and their wives, girlfriends, children, crack dealers, bookies and whoever else they support by leeching off of the general car buying public.

they should be taken out back and shot. then drawn and quartered. then shit on. then burned. then pissed on.

hopefully one day they will have a physician neglect to tell them that they have cancer and then they can die a slow, painful and agonizing death.

fuck 'em.

You can say the same about almost any occupation if you feel wronged in some way.

My boyfriend is a salesman at Ancira Nissan on I-10 & Huebner.

Has it ever occured to you that they do check out the vehicle and it was something they were not aware of? Or maybe it is a new problem....you do relize they cannot see into the future and tell you something was going to happen. Have you given them an opportunity to rectify the situation?

You do relize that a used car is listed "as is" in the vast majority of times before you bought the car.

Do you go to a pawn shop and return a TV because it died?

Where and when did you purchase the vehicle?
What exactly happened to the vehicle to make yoy upset?
Did you ask for a CarFax report?
Did you find information on your purchase before you signed on the line.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Where and when did you purchase the vehicle?

this week.

What exactly happened to the vehicle to make yoy upset?

transmission overhaul. unfortunately the transmission prob wasn't detectable except in the higher gears. test drive was in residential area.

still, this was a seemingly reputable brand dealer.

Did you ask for a CarFax report?

i bought one before i went in. clean as a whistle.

batman2883
07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Where was this?

Man foofida, your teddy bear picture reminds me of that fat guy from Harold and Kumar who made the teradactle noises when they walk into the store.

Clandestino
transmission overhaul. unfortunately the transmission prob wasn't detectable except in the higher gears. test drive was in residential area.

still, this was a seemingly reputable brand dealer.
[/CENTER]

:lmao

you're a fucking idiot!

cherylsteele
Where did you purchase the vehicle?

Have you told them about the problem.

What type of car?
Year?
Make?
Mileage?

You should have taken it out on the freeway....that is your fault....you have that right.

My gut feeling is you aren't telling us something important...like what kind of car and where....is this for a reason? Did you buy a Yugo or something that should never have been built in the first place?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
and you are a monday morning quarterback. congrats.

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
do you have fire/theft insurance? :smokin

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Where did you purchase the vehicle?

texas.

Have you told them about the problem.

yes.

What type of car?
Year?
Make?
Mileage?

late model big 3 suv. low miles.

You should have taken it out on the freeway....that is your fault....you have that right.

My gut feeling is you aren't telling us something important...like what kind of car and where....is this for a reason? Did you buy a Yugo or something that should never have been built in the first place?

nope. this was pretty much a late model vehicle offered by a dealership as being "preowned". some of their marketing material makes it out to be that the vehicles were problem free. i'm a busy man. i work long hours. i don't have time to play car trader like clandestino does from his trailer park.

again, i'd like to thank those of you who have never been screwed over in their life. karma, man. karma.

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
That sucks.

Moral of the story: Buy something with a manual transmission. Less likely to have transmission problems (unless it is a Dodge truck w/ a 5 spd and Cummins Diesel, they have problems keeping the nut in position that holds on 5th gear.) I don't think they are having any problems with the 6 speed.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
and you are a monday morning quarterback. congrats.

Who is this directed to?

If this is to me then......whatever......I was going to give you some ammo to possibly help.

Are you afraid to answer where and what?

Something tells me you went to a buy here, pay here, bend over place.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Who is this directed to?

not you.

If this is to me then......whatever......I was going to give you some ammo to possibly help.

i appreciate that.

this is a public forum.

i'd just like a place that sold me a car that didn't cost me some coin within a week on a major repair. it's not a matter of affording it, but rather the principle.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Who is this directed to?

it was directed towards me...

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
texas.

yes.

nope. this was pretty much a late model vehicle offered by a dealership as being "preowned". some of their marketing material makes it out to be that the vehicles were problem free. i'm a busy man. i work long hours. i don't have time to play car trader like clandestino does from his trailer park.

again, i'd like to thank those of you who have never been screwed over in their life. karma, man. karma.

You are indulging very little

Texas.....a big place.....what dealership?

Uh....can you be more specific.....do you gone to AutoZone to buy a part and say that?

yes.

What did they say?

this is a public forum.

Does this prevent you from naming dealerships? heck I see lots of posts about restraunts Dept. store and such and they name company names

i don't have time to play car trader like clandestino does from his trailer park.

Did you talk down to the salesman too? Maybe you did deserve what you got. Most of your posts are very much similar to this.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
and i don't know why the dealership who fucked you in the ass should be protected..you suing them?

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
i'm a busy man. i work long hours. i don't have time to play car trader like clandestino does from his trailer park.

again, i'd like to thank those of you who have never been screwed over in their life. karma, man. karma.[/CENTER]

i hadn't even seen this before...

but what is funny, is a transmission problem will cost you more time and money than if you had just paid a mechanic to check it out in the first place!

think!

Shelly
07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Was this a certified pre-owned vehicle?

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM

i hadn't even seen this before...

but what is funny, is a transmission problem will cost you more time and money than if you had just paid a mechanic to check it out in the first place!

think!

Besides some places do if at no charge from what I heard....or they charge a minimal amount.....less $100

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
You are indulging very little

Texas.....a big place.....what dealership?

toyota

Uh....can you be more specific.....do you gone to AutoZone to buy a part and say that?

03 gmc yukon

What did they say?

getting the run around.

Did you talk down to the salesman too? Maybe you did deserve what you got. Most of your posts are very much similar to this.

not at all. even so, don't offer a product that has a major problem and act like it is perfectly fine. dont act like it is "preowned" and that means it's like buying a new vehicle. again, i'd expect this behavior from joe's auto sales, but not from a branded dealer.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
getting the run around.
not at all. even so, don't offer a product that has a major problem and act like it is perfectly fine.

?what? this shit never happens at a used car dealership!

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:00 PM

I honestly don't think Kitty knows....he/she went in to the dealership and said I need a vehicle.....didn't look into it...or do any homework on the purchase....we aren't talking about a mop....a car purchase is not somehting you should do on a "spur of the moment"

Shelly
What would Chevy Tahoe have to say in this matter?

Shelly
I honestly don't think Kitty knows....he/she went in to the dealership and said I need a vehicle.....didn't look into it...or do any homework on the purchase....we aren't talking about a mop....a car purchase is not somehting you should do on a "spur of the moment"

Kitty is Marcus Bryant.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:01 PM

therein lies the rub. it was labelled as being "preowned". the firm's materials specifically make that out to be something other than used and also say those were cars with a 'new car peace of mind'.

it's pretty friggin deceptive.

SpursWoman
07-27-2005, 04:03 PM
I bought a used car once, and I had to call my dad to come jump start it the first night I had it. And we HAD had it check out. I feel your pain. :fro

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:04 PM

i did some homework but, yes, not a lot. the total expense of this truck after repairs won't break me.

still, if you are going to advertise a vehicle as being 'like new' and distinct from run of the mill 'used' as in there aren't problems, then dont put a truck on the lot with a screwed up transmission.

i guess i dont like feeling like ive been taken advantage of. i like to believe that occassionally you can deal with people and get what is represented to you. perhaps the problem is that i work in a professional environment that is non-sales. im not looking to trump someone on a daily basis.

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I also have not enjoyed dealing with Toyota dealerships, at least for a new vehicle. There is a region called "gulf states Toyota" that controls what new cars can be equipped with. Commie bastards.

Chevy Tahoe
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
STOP! Step away from the shitty vehicle! Didn't test drive it, didn't have a mechanic inspect it, etc... You are not smart enough to even drive an SUV. A broken SUV is the perfect vehicle for you! Maybe the AC works, sit in there and just listen to the radio. Maybe I will take you for a cruise later tonight when the sun goes down. This heat is hell on my paintjob!

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:06 PM
toyota

You just don't want anyone to know or something.......most used car dealerships carry all brands...specifically which dealership.....jeez....you must be a 411 user too

getting the run around.

What did they say to constitute the "run around"
When someone is upset...anything can sound like the run around.

Many vehicles carry a limited manufacture's warranty for pre-owned vehicles. Did you inquire about that possibility?

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 04:07 PM
:lol you do realize that a Tahoe is the same as a Yukon?

Chevy Tahoe
07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
therein lies the rub. it was labelled as being "preowned". the firm's materials specifically make that out to be something other than used and also say those were cars with a 'new car peace of mind'.

1 entry found for pre-owned.

pre·owned- adj.

Previously owned or used; secondhand: a preowned car.

Chevy Tahoe
07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
:lol you do realize that a Tahoe is the same as a Yukon?\

But my tranny is good!

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:12 PM
1 entry found for pre-owned.

pre·owned- adj.

Previously owned or used; secondhand: a preowned car.

I was just thinking this.....pre-owned is a fancy way of saying used.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:14 PM

Do you actually understand what you read.......did you pay cash...or will complain about getting stiffed with a crappy dealer loan too?

Why is it deceptive.....many pawn shops have that in the window or on a TV.

i did some homework but, yes, not a lot. the total expense of this truck after repairs won't break me.

Like new.....this does mean it is new......did it also say "as is" in the window....or did just read the big letters on the windshield?

Homework? what kind of homework?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:16 PM

i know, i know. but its "pre-owned" in the industry parlance as in 'certified'...

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Do you actually understand what you read.......did you pay cash...or will complain about getting stiffed with a crappy dealer loan too?

ever hear of "good faith" dealing? i'd like to be able to deal with people who aren't out to screw unsuspecting customers to make a few extra bucks. i mean, come on.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
You got screwed, and you're understandbly pissed. It sucks dealing with businesses that sell you fucked up cars. I feel your pain on that one.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:20 PM
You got screwed, and you're understandbly pissed. It sucks dealing with businesses that sell you fucked up cars. I feel your pain on that one.

finally. someone who gets it. well, there were a few earlier in the thread. sw, swc.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
i know, i know. but its "pre-owned" in the industry parlance as in 'certified'...

Since when?

just because it has different wording doesn't mean anything but make it "look" appealing....like a billboard that has giant letters "Lose Weight"....and you think "what a great deal" before really looking into it....it has always been been buyer beware.....not just in used cars but anything used...from toothbrushes and shoes, to computers and TV's.

Did you find out information such as
service records for the model?
Blue Book value?

What was the conversation between you and the dealer regarding your problem? Did you purchase any after market warranty.

Was it an actual toyota dealer or someone that happened to have used toyota on their lot?

Nothing like playing 20 questions....just to help to try to help someone.....i might as be a dentist with all this tooth pulling

Shelly
07-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Damn, Cheryl. You'd be awesome in an interrogation room! :lol

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Damn, Cheryl. You'd be awesome in an interrogation room! :lol

Like I said my boyfriend works at Ancira Nissan on I-10....and have learned some of the ins and outs of how these types of things work.

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Like I said my boyfriend works at Ancira Nissan on I-10

:lol She withheld that little tidbit until MB named names on the dealer!

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
finally. someone who gets it. well, there were a few earlier in the thread. sw, swc.

I am not saying you did or didn't.....I am just trying to get the whole picture so I can help out.....it took two pages of threads for you to say what type of vehcile it was.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:32 PM
well sure. if i wanted to be anal about it then i'd probably end up buying a hyundai or whatever that has a 50 year warranty.

you know, i'd like to go through life while not being paranoid that everyone is out to get me. i guess that'll cost me. but at least in the end i'll have a somewhat richer life than worrying myself to death all the time.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:32 PM
:lol She withheld that little tidbit until MB named names on the dealer!

False...go back and look at my fist post in this thread....it is the 1st thing I stated...it is post #34

Please read EVERYTHNG.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 04:33 PM
No she didn't, she mentoined it in the first line.

I don't like car salesmen. Why? Because the only way for them to make money on any deal is to screw me. If I go in there and demand a certain amount above invoice etc and then work with the rebates, I'm going to get a car at the best possible price and the salesman is going to get jack shit.

In todays day and age, they are out of date.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
here's how it works. someone trades in a vehicle that needs a major repair instead of getting it fixed. dealer sticks it on the used ca...er, "pre-owned" lot and lies in wait.

pretty simple and pretty shitty.

SpursWoman
07-27-2005, 04:37 PM

That's exactly what "pre-owned" means. It sounds more appealing, obviously. They made the switch from "used" a few years ago.... :fro

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 04:38 PM
When you go to certain lots, you also expect the cars they ahve there to be of a certain quality. You don't expect to have a transmission problem on a late model vehicle, but shit happens.

I would think the dealership would accomadate you. YOu should have a 500 mile warranty, most used dealers do.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:39 PM
No she didn't, she mentoined it in the first line.

I don't like car salesmen. Why? Because the only way for them to make money on any deal is to screw me. If I go in there and demand a certain amount above invoice etc and then work with the rebates, I'm going to get a car at the best possible price and the salesman is going to get jack shit.

In todays day and age, they are out of date.

My boyfriend summed it up like this.....

his job is to get into your wallet....and the buyers job is to protect it.....most of the time a litte of both happens....the salesman make a fair commission and buyer is satisified with the price, service, and professionalism of the buying experience.....most people aren't greatly upset if they are treated well....and the price is not always as important as one may always think.

Would got to any store for say a computer and they treat you like scum of the earth...even though the price is good or a restraunt that has great prices but lousy service and ambiance.....the buying experience is very important and greatly underated in any industry.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM

his job is to get into your wallet....and the buyers job is to protect it.....most of the time a litte of both happens....the salesman make a fair commission and buyer is satisified with the price, service, and professionalism of the buying experience.....most people aren't greatly upset if they are treated well....and the price is not always as important as one may always think.

Would got to any store for say a computer and they treat you like scum of the earth...even though the price is good or a restraunt that has great prices but lousy service and ambiance.....the buying experience is very important and greatly underated in any industry. I've been in sales, and I've NEVER taken that approach. I've always taken the approach that my job was to provide my client with the best possible solutions to their situation. I walked into sales situations with people I never knew and told them to stick with or take a different product because it was better for them. My primary goal was never to get into their wallet, and I did quite well commision wise.

Your boyfriend summed up exactly why I hate car salesmen.

And furthermore, if I have to all of the work to protect myself that you and others mentoined above, I am not having a good buying experience. I'm having to fight off someones dick from going in my ass.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
here's how it works. someone trades in a vehicle that needs a major repair instead of getting it fixed. dealer sticks it on the used ca...er, "pre-owned" lot and lies in wait.

pretty simple and pretty shitty.

What dealership?

You could have asked for the invoice on how much they paid for the car. You could possibly have made a better purchase.

How do you really know they didn't check it out? Maybe it was an underlying problem that was undetectable.

I do know that many dealerships actually do a very in depth check of their vehicles before they are put out on the lot.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:44 PM

Would got to any store for say a computer and they treat you like scum of the earth...even though the price is good or a restraunt that has great prices but lousy service and ambiance.....the buying experience is very important and greatly underated in any industry.

i like ambiance that doesn't consist of someone set out to maximize what they take out of my wallet by putting a defective vehicle on the lot and acting like it is 'like new' without any potential major repair worries.

seriously. i didnt even haggle on price. i was not confrontational with the salesman. I did a search of area dealers, thought this would be a good truck from a good dealer and bought it.

SpursWoman
07-27-2005, 04:44 PM
On a lighter note...no one has to worry about getting the big POS I traded in for my current car, they called the junk yard right there to see what they'd give them for it. :lol :lol :oops

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:45 PM
What dealership?

You could have asked for the invoice on how much they paid for the car. You could possibly have made a better purchase.

How do you really know they didn't check it out? Maybe it was an underlying problem that was undetectable.

I do know that many dealerships actually do a very in depth check of their vehicles before they are put out on the lot.

it was detectable once you went into the higher gears for a little bit of time. hell, i don't know if it even would've shown up in a highway test drive.

apparently this wasn't one of those dealerships.

07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Doesn't Texas have some kind of "Lemon Law" for this sort of thing?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Doesn't Texas have some kind of "Lemon Law" for this sort of thing?

for new vehicles, yes.

Billy Cobham
07-27-2005, 04:49 PM
I just bought a new car yesterday. I wish I knew if I really got a good deal. I do like the car though.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
I've been in sales, and I've NEVER taken that approach. I've always taken the approach that my job was to provide my client with the best possible solutions to their situation. I walked into sales situations with people I never knew and told them to stick with or take a different product because it was better for them. My primary goal was never to get into their wallet, and I did quite well commision wise.

Your boyfriend summed up exactly why I hate car salesmen.

And furthermore, if I have to all of the work to protect myself that you and others mentoined above, I am not having a good buying experience. I'm having to fight off someones dick from going in my ass.

Actually it is the dealership that is that way......and you are right many salespeople do that.
What type of sales?
was commission only?

I don't mean to say he takes that approach....he has told me stories of how he switched the train of thought because the buyer was getting a car that was too big or just the wrong one for him......many times sacrificing a couple of hundred dollars to close a deal.....many times he would get what they call a "mini".....the least he can make on a car deal no matter the price. Alot depends on how upside-down the original owner was with the car or what they payed for the car.

He belives that you treat people with respect and the numbers will even out where all parties will be satisfied.

Don't generalize....if one doesn't like the service...leave...it is that simple.....so if you are feeling you are getting "screwed"....leave...if you don't it is also your fault.....if someone keeps hitting you do tell "please. I want some more" no.......you get the hell out of there.

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Try Edmunds.com

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:57 PM
for new vehicles, yes.

That is true......does the vehicle have a manufacture's warranty?

Many car companies do....example I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent.....it was used and came with 6yr/60,000 mile warranty.....I have had no trouble with it barring one dead battery and other general maintainenece

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Try Edmunds.com

Or www.cars.com

Click and Clack are great.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
oh well, fuck it. the bad thing for this dealership is that i have plenty of family and friends in the area and would've recommended the dealer otherwise...

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I just bought a new car yesterday. I wish I knew if I really got a good deal. I do like the car though.

Everyone wants a good deal.....but being satisified with the purchase is important too.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I worked Insurance (health) sales as well as some Annuity sales. And yes, it was commision only. I didn't eat if I didn't sell.

And buying a car involves way too much protecting oneself for me to ever like carsalesmen. They have no motivation to keep my happy as a customer longer than it takes to get me off the lot.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Everyone wants a good deal.....but being satisified with the purchase is important too.
You keep saying that, but what you fail to see is that they are basically the same thing. What about the buying experience is a car salesman going to improve to the point that I don't want the lowest price possible on a vehicle I am purchasing?

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 05:03 PM
oh well, fuck it. the bad thing for this dealership is that i have plenty of family and friends in the area and would've recommended the dealer otherwise...

You never really told what was actually said between you and the dealership....you never even told us which one either.....something tells me you are omitting...on purpose.....vital information....and you are just upset because you did not make a smart purchase

anyone can feel like they are getting the run around if they are upset to begin with.

Did you really tell the dealer or what is really going on?

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 05:15 PM
You keep saying that, but what you fail to see is that they are basically the same thing. What about the buying experience is a car salesman going to improve to the point that I don't want the lowest price possible on a vehicle I am purchasing?

That is not always true.....

Say you see a TV set for a cheaper price at Circuit City.....some $50 cheaper than at Best Buy for the exact same model and make

You go to C.C. for the great price and no one is wanting to get the purchase moving forward. After waiting for a hour with no other customers in the store you finally have a salesperson approach you. They know nothing about the item. You then wait a little while longer for someone who knows something about the TV. after 2 hours you finally get to the paperwork you may have questions and the person knows little about your inquiry. You finally go to the service dept. and they less helpful. four hours later you are finally out the door all for a few bucks. You think to yourself that was a horrible experience. Say you can go to Best Buy for a few extra dollars you can get someone who knows what they are selling, the service dept. answers all your questions. and they even help you get it in your car.

You want to save a few bucks for crappy customer service.
The buying experience at any level is a lost art.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry, but to me the comparison of a 2k (At MOST) television and a 20k vehicle and the purchasing process that goes around each is a horrible analogy.

A company should give me excellent customer service on a vechilce purchase simply based on the amount it is costing me. If the person I'm dealing with needs a couple of hundred dollars more for me to actuallyg et service, I will take my business elsewhere and get that same car and the lowest possible price.

What you are saying just doesn't fly with me.

Billy Cobham
07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Apparently I got a pretty good deal.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry, but to me the comparison of a 2k (At MOST) television and a 20k vehicle and the purchasing process that goes around each is a horrible analogy.

The basic principle is the same.

My father is one that I have considered a miser.....but he would vehemently disagree with you.

He hates car salesmen for the same reasons you do but says the salesman/buyer relationship is just as important.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 05:36 PM
I think it is important, but not when it comes to new cars. He can't tell me anything about the vehicle I'm not going to learn online.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 05:44 PM
I think it is important, but not when it comes to new cars. He can't tell me anything about the vehicle I'm not going to learn online.

I bet he could do something to make you think differently.

You think it is now not important....that is not what you have been saying......imagine if a real salesman were to talk to you.

Mutual repect beteen parties is way underrated.

Lloyd Christmas
07-27-2005, 05:45 PM
traded the van for it, straight uphttp://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/dumb/pics/dumb14.jpg

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 05:53 PM
fact is, dirty little just got fucked hard on a 90/10 basis.. 90% was his fault and 10% was the dealers fault... i bet the salesman even laughed when dude drove off the lot! i know i would've! hahah...

no test drive above 30mph, no mechanic inspection, what the fuck do you expect.. like you've heard many, many times, "if it sounds to good to be true..." :lmao

don't come in here looking for sympathy when you obviously didn't give buying a car enough thought.. you'd think you'd know how to buy a car now since you supposedly have so many!

Shelly
07-27-2005, 06:05 PM
What's nice is when dealers let you take a car home for a few days to see if you like it.

cherylsteele
07-27-2005, 06:38 PM
What's nice is when dealers let you take a car home for a few days to see if you like it.

My boyfriend has done that on many occasions.

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
fact is, dirty little just got fucked hard on a 90/10 basis.. 90% was his fault and 10% was the dealers fault... i bet the salesman even laughed when dude drove off the lot! i know i would've! hahah...

that's because you come from a segment of the population that believes that screwing people over is how you succeed in life. the payment on this thing is just under 5% of my monthly income. i mean, if screwing people over helps the salesman break $30k a year, bully for him, the $ doesn't matter that much to me.

on top of that, at least one person i know was seriously considering buying a toyota. they still may, but it won't be from that dealership. so how exactly does this constitute a 'win' for the dealership?

judging by the response i received in this thread, i'd say most disagree with your view on what went down. also, i'd say most think you are living in the trailer with your cousin cleetus.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I bet he could do something to make you think differently.

You think it is now not important....that is not what you have been saying......imagine if a real salesman were to talk to you.

Mutual repect beteen parties is way underrated. :lol

The point being that I am not going to pay a salesman who is trying to screw me to get his comission becasue of a better sales experience!

You make allusions to products that come with flat prices and try to compare the 2. Cars are usualy on a negotiated price, and the salesman makes money based on how high he can keep the price. The more he sells me the car for, the more he makes.

Thats not the case at a place like Circuit City like you keep alluding too. The salesmen there have no say so on the price and I don't have to haggle a TV price down in order to ensure I get the best deal. Their job is to provide me with service, not to screw me.

The more a carsalesman screws someone, the more he makes! You keep trying to tell me that I'm paying for service, but the service should be just as good regardless of what I pay for the car. If I have to pay extra for your boyfriend to give me good service, he can keep it. I'm paying for a 20 thousand dollar car, good service and his respect should come in the damn glove box.

Shelly
07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
So what's the deal with Gunn's one simple price then?

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 08:04 PM
So what's the deal with Gunn's one simple price then?
You know, I'm really not sure. I don't think their salespeople work on comission though. At least not the way other car salespeople do.

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 08:11 PM
The information available on the Net about vehicles has shifted the power from the dealerships to the consumer. That's because knowledge is power and through the Internet a vast universe of information is readily available. This is good news for dealerships whose operations practice the equitable "one simple price" method.

One simple price is a national automotive trend that eliminates a commissioned sales force. All vehicles are clearly marked with a competitive price and customers enjoy a "no hassle" buying experience.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/1998/09/14/focus4.html

That is from an article written 7 years ago.

I would wager to bet the power has shifted even further into the consumers corner since then.

Useruser666
07-27-2005, 08:18 PM
One Simple Price

Menu Pricing

No Haggle Pricing

All of them are the same. They screw you, the consumer. You can still haggle a "Menu" price. Do some research, go to several dealers, and focus on a certain vehicle before you go shopping. Don't ever buy on the first trip and don't be afraid to make a counter offer.

Check out this site for some good info:

www.carbuyingtips.com

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I would go with a set price on the vehicle I wanted. It would be damn close to invoice. There are ways they make money even if they sell the car at invoice.

Has anyone here actually paid MSRP?

violentkitten
07-27-2005, 08:35 PM
i would say focus on pursuing a better career than being a car salesman. if you get screwed by them, sobeit, at least you still aren't doing what they do.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
yeah, i bought from gunn and i paid lower than their "one simple price." they wouldn't budge, i left, went to all the dealerships.. finally someone beat them. i called them back, said i was giving them one more chance, they still said, "sorry, we don't haggle." i said, thanks, i just appreciated their time and how they handled themselves, etc.. hung up, then i was getting ready to buy at a different place.. then gunn called back with a lower offer.. then i talked to world car and gunn at the same time.. finally, world car got pissed off bc they wouldn't go any lower. gunn, said we'll have the paperwork ready for you. i bought from them. plus i wanted a different color, they had to get the car off the truck. it was 8 so they wouldn't be able to get my vehicle ready. they gave me a brand new one to take home until they had mine ready and said don't worry about the mileage... several days later they called me back and i gave them their vehicle back with over 1,000 miles on it... i have since sent them 2 customers..

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
oh yeah, i had done my homework BEFORE i went and knew what i would pay and what i would walk away from..

keyword: B E F O R E

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
it was nissan.. and oh yeah, world car told me to never come back again... 5 minutes later they were calling me telling me they would lower the price.. haha..what the fuck ever... i will never buy from them again.

timvp
07-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Damn, what did you do that they told you to never come back? I'm guessing you just let them know you weren't an idiot.

No I'm guessing he put on his magical cape and flew away with the hot looking sales associate never to return, but always able to correct others in their missteps as he continued living his infallible life.

SequSpur
07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
I just traded in an 02 Audi A4 that had about 25 hp left in it. My fucking lawnmower was faster.

They gave me the full blue book list, I got in a nicer car for a coins more and now pseudo is happy.

Hopefully one of you all tools won't buy my old car, because you will be pissed.

SpursWoman
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
You know, I'm really not sure. I don't think their salespeople work on comission though. At least not the way other car salespeople do.

They don't. My brother was working there when they first started doing that and the pay scale he got put on wasn't enough to support his family so he had to find something else.

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Damn, what did you do that they told you to never come back? I'm guessing you just let them know you weren't an idiot.

they got pissed bc i had done everything(all the paperwork) except hand over the check for the down payment... but then the dude from gunn called and i made them haggle... then they finally got pissed and said they'd go no lower... so, i tore up the contract and walked out.. i said, all you had to do was go lower by 200 bucks..

Clandestino
07-27-2005, 11:12 PM
No I'm guessing he put on his magical cape and flew away with the hot looking sales associate never to return, but always able to correct others in their missteps as he continued living his infallible life.

MI21
07-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Used cars from yards suck. If I'm going to buy used, I buy privately and take my mechanic mate along with me. It is so much cheaper than on a yard.

The one time I bought used from a yard, 3 months later when I took the thing in to have CV Joints looked at the mechanic found out that the measuring points were way out and the car had been in a huge crash. Thank god i managed to sell it on for more than I paid :lol

Fuck the yards, I agree with Kitty.

violentkitten
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
they got pissed bc i had done everything(all the paperwork) except hand over the check for the down payment... but then the dude from gunn called and i made them haggle... then they finally got pissed and said they'd go no lower... so, i tore up the contract and walked out.. i said, all you had to do was go lower by 200 bucks..

damn, all that effort for 200 bucks. impressive.

N.Y. Johnny
07-28-2005, 11:04 AM
yeah, i bought from gunn and i paid lower than their "one simple price." they wouldn't budge, i left, went to all the dealerships.. finally someone beat them. i called them back, said i was giving them one more chance, they still said, "sorry, we don't haggle." i said, thanks, i just appreciated their time and how they handled themselves, etc.. hung up, then i was getting ready to buy at a different place.. then gunn called back with a lower offer.. then i talked to world car and gunn at the same time.. finally, world car got pissed off bc they wouldn't go any lower. gunn, said we'll have the paperwork ready for you. i bought from them. plus i wanted a different color, they had to get the car off the truck. it was 8 so they wouldn't be able to get my vehicle ready. they gave me a brand new one to take home until they had mine ready and said don't worry about the mileage... several days later they called me back and i gave them their vehicle back with over 1,000 miles on it... i have since sent them 2 customers..

GUNN is a great place to buy, i had a similar experience to yours and bought me a Tahoe SUV from there, cheaper than anywhere else i could get one.
I will always deal with them when in Texas and here in San Antonio.
I am thinking about going back to get one of those new Avalanches from GUNN again.

Useruser666
07-28-2005, 11:07 AM
GUNN is a great place to buy, i had a similar experience to yours and bought me a Tahoe SUV from there, cheaper than anywhere else i could get one.
I will always deal with them when in Texas and here in San Antonio.
I am thinking about going back to get one of those new Avalanches from GUNN again.

So I should try buying my next car at Gunnpoint?

Shelly
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

that was baaaaaaaaaaaad

SpursWoman
07-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I want a new car. :depressed

N.Y. Johnny
07-28-2005, 11:32 AM

you can do whatever you want to :spin

buying at gun point that was Gillespie Ford for me :lol

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 11:38 AM
the payment on this thing is just under 5% of my monthly income.

Um, why the hell are you having to make payments on it, then?

Billy Cobham
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I just bought this on Tuesday.

http://www.cadillac.com/images/models/cts/gallery/colorExt2_med.jpg

violentkitten
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
because i dont feel like putting the entire amount in it and i can get a low rate.

anyways, the dealership has offered to make good on it. so apparently good faith dealing is alive and well.

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Good to hear it turned out well for ya, bud. :tu

THAT'S why you don't name the dealer.

cherylsteele
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM

The point being that I am not going to pay a salesman who is trying to screw me to get his comission becasue of a better sales experience!

You make allusions to products that come with flat prices and try to compare the 2. Cars are usualy on a negotiated price, and the salesman makes money based on how high he can keep the price. The more he sells me the car for, the more he makes.

Thats not the case at a place like Circuit City like you keep alluding too. The salesmen there have no say so on the price and I don't have to haggle a TV price down in order to ensure I get the best deal. Their job is to provide me with service, not to screw me.

The more a carsalesman screws someone, the more he makes! You keep trying to tell me that I'm paying for service, but the service should be just as good regardless of what I pay for the car. If I have to pay extra for your boyfriend to give me good service, he can keep it. I'm paying for a 20 thousand dollar car, good service and his respect should come in the damn glove box.

I guess you have never bought a house....you will be really disappointed because you will feel the very same about a realtor.....you never get a set price there.

They way some of you talk you hate anyone anywhere to make a living. You say for them to get another job....what happens if they all do and you want to buy a car? Ever heard of S.O.L.?

Manny you say you sold insurance. I feel the same way about insurance salesmen the you feel about car salesmen. Insurance people are oh so vague about questions you ask about the policy while you are shopping around. Then they never stop calling you.....worse than a telemarketer.

So why don't people in all industries get a better job? It is because people what something for nothing.

bigzak25
07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
nice looking ride there mr. bill. :smokin

glad you got it straight kitten. :tu

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I guess you have never bought a house....you will be really disappointed because you will feel the very same about a realtor.....you never get a set price there.

Typically 6% of the purchase price paid by the seller (which means you're paying for it)... but who says you have to deal with a realtor? I lucked out on mine and bought it straight up from the owner, no agents involved.

Shelly
07-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Typically 6% of the purchase price paid by the seller (which means you're paying for it)... but who says you have to deal with a realtor? I lucked out on mine and bought it straight up from the owner, no agents involved.

Yeah, but I've also heard a lot of bad things about FSBO, so it goes both ways.

Timvp hates doctors and chooses to live with foot pain...:lol

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 03:42 PM

No, I've never bought a House. Realtors do a lot more than carsalesmen do. A House purchase is also usually way more than a car purchase. A realtor is a licensed proffesion, as well. I feel more confident that the realtor I'm talking to knows what they are doing.

But hey, in the end, I may hate them as well.

They way some of you talk you hate anyone anywhere to make a living. You say for them to get another job....what happens if they all do and you want to buy a car? Ever heard of S.O.L.?

I don't need to go to a carsalesman to buy a car. How exactly am I going to be SOL? Your boyfriend sells cars, he doesn't make them.

Manny you say you sold insurance. I feel the same way about insurance salesmen the you feel about car salesmen. Insurance people are oh so vague about questions you ask about the policy while you are shopping around. Then they never stop calling you.....worse than a telemarketer.

Your entitled to your opinion. I work with a wholesaler now and we provide great customer support to agents who sell as well as the policyholders they write them for.

So why don't people in all industries get a better job? It is because people what something for nothing.
I don't get what your point is. But it is obvious you're on the defensive because of what your boyfriend does.

You can sit there and defend him all you want (and I'm not even saying he needs defense) but I still don't feel I need a carsalesman and I won't purchase my next vehicle with one.

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah, but I've also heard a lot of bad things about FSBO, so it goes both ways.

Well, I had a good experience mainly because I have known the owner all my life, she set a fair price and I accepted, and her brother and nephew are reputable developers (yes, there are some :lol) and had the necessary legal paperwork on hand.

DrRich
07-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Your entitled to your opinion. I work with a wholesaler now and we provide great customer support to agents who sell as well as the policyholders they write them for.

Sorry, no such thing in the insurance business!! :lol Most policy holders don't have a clue whether their insurance is any good or not. They just go buy what the rep says. The majority of my patients still think their dental insurance is supposed to take care of everything. :rolleyes Not even close to reality. What's worse when we inform them of their policy limitations, they act as if we're the bad guys!! :rolleyes

Sorry wasn't this threar about how VK got jobbed, my bad for going off on a tangent! :lol

Shelly
07-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Sorry, no such thing in the insurance business!! :lol Most policy holders don't have a clue whether their insurance is any good or not. They just go buy what the rep says. The majority of my patients still think their dental insurance is supposed to take care of everything. :rolleyes Not even close to reality. What's worse when we inform them of their policy limitations, they act as if we're the bad guys!! :rolleyes

Sorry wasn't this threar about how VK got jobbed, my bad for going off on a tangent! :lol

I have Humana dental and my dentist happens to be on my plan and they pay for everything. Not that I have any problems, though. That may make a difference. All I pay for is fluoride.

But I guess if I need crowns and the like, they wouldn't pay as much?

DrRich
07-28-2005, 04:39 PM
I have Humana dental and my dentist happens to be on my plan and they pay for everything. Not that I have any problems, though. That may make a difference. All I pay for is fluoride.

But I guess if I need crowns and the like, they wouldn't pay as much?

See you have a pretty good idea of your insurance, but you would not believe the amount of people that come in not expecting to pay anything at all for major treatment! When we tell them the are responsible for 50%, they tend to get really upset...."What do you mean that's all my insurance pays for?" Sometimes it is actually quite funny to listen too. Luckily my financial coordinator is very good at handling those types of situations. Dental Insurance is very confusing especially if you have a PPO or DMO.

The funniest situation occured a few years ago when I was just starting out. A lot of my elderly patients had Secure Horizons which was a supplement to their Medicare which does not offer dental benefits. One day, just out of the blue, SH stopped offering dental benefits as part of the MC supplement. SH informed their patient in the newsletter which none of them apparently read. They would get so pissed at us when we told them that they no longer had any dental benefits. They would yell at us for "not accepting their insurance anymore" We would smile as we informed them that we didn't drop their insurance; it was their insurance that dropped them! :lol

Shelly
07-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Dr. Rich

My deductible on dental is $50. When I first started going to my dentist, I had to pay it. It's probably been 5 years since I have. My dentist never bills me for it. Is it because I'm such a loyal patient? :lol

I know I pay for the 2nd set of bite xrays, and I THINK I had to pay for part of a filling, but that was years ago, so I don't remember. I know my insurance pays for seals on the kids' teeth.

DrRich
07-28-2005, 05:08 PM
You may have had to pay the deductible at one time especially if it was a new policy for you and your family. Most times, the deductible only apllies for basic or major work. Exams and x-rays are considered diagnostic and cleanings are considered preventive , both of which do not fall under basic or major treatment. Therefore, you usually only have to pay a deductible if you have fillings or crowns etc. done.

Who knows may be your dentist is just a nice guy. However, don't let that get around because I have seen cases like this where the dentist waives the deductible for a patient. But later when the patient became unhappy and reported the dentist to the insurance company. Failure to collect the deductible constitutes insurance fraud and carries a pretty hefty fine/penalty.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I disagree with you, DrRich. I've worked for 2 different companies in the health insurance business - once as an angent and currently in support of reps that deal with agents. My current employer does things that go way beyond anything else I've seen in the industry, and as an agent my clients had everything broken down to them in good detail. They didn't always know what their coverages were, but I was always available to explain it to them.

Expecting a person to know exactly what their policies contain is reaching. These things are usually huge and have special exemptions for a bunch of things. Dental policies are simpler, but they are also usually an afterthought and add on to health insurance. Hell, as an agent I didn't always know the answer to a clients question regardless of how well I knew my products but I would always find them a correct answer.

PS So many people get their policies through employers and never have an agent to get in contact with. Unless the company is large, they usually don't have anyone in the human resources department to turn to either. And calling the carrier directly is probably going to get you a call center, and we all know how great the standard of call center customer service is. I think that is another reason why so many people are ignorant of what their policies cover.

GoldToe
07-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Didn't Humana just lose a lawsuit?...which they are appealing of course.

cherylsteele
07-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't need to go to a carsalesman to buy a car. How exactly am I going to be SOL? Your boyfriend sells cars, he doesn't make them.

And you don't have to go to a realtor to buy a house either. A realtor doesn't make the house, they sell them and put them on the market.

You are implying I am wrong regarding insurance salespeople...and I have had first hand experience with horrible customer service with insurance companies.

Used cars from yards suck. If I'm going to buy used, I buy privately and take my mechanic mate along with me. It is so much cheaper than on a yard.

MI21...I have no problem with that....I bought my car a couple of years ago from an individual....I do disagrre to an extenent that used cars from yards suck.....it depends on which lot you go to. A buy here pay here lot generally has junk for way too much money.....where places like Carmax and Ancira, and other lots have higher quality used cars.

You must do you homework and shop around and not just jump on the the car the "looks" good. It may look good but it may well be a total lemon. Bringing a mechanic freind or someone who knows a bit about car shopping is a good thing....even my boyfriend likes it because those deals go smoother than the others.

You can sit there and defend him all you want (and I'm not even saying he needs defense) but I still don't feel I need a carsalesman and I won't purchase my next vehicle with one.

If you feel you can make a good car purchase on your own or with a little help from those around I have no problem with that at all....I did the same when I bought my car.

Just don't lump all car salespeople in on catageory. Not all are trying to rip you off....some are.....and many tiems it is the dealership wanting that and not the salesperson. I am certain you are in the minoroty about not buying from a car lot.....many people feel if they are treated with respect and feel they get a fair price they have no problem with dealerships.

scott
07-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Maybe this has been covered (I skipped the last 2 pages) but if it's a 2003 with low miles... it should still have some of the original factory warranty on it. Transmission should be covered under that.

Is this post about the finacial inconvience, or the trouble of going through the warrant process?

Clandestino
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
damn, all that effort for 200 bucks. impressive.

no, that was an extra 200 off the thousands i'd already negotiated off the price.

Clandestino
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
also, i wonder if violent kitten learned about doing his homework BEFORE making a large purchase....

Clandestino
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
and never anwer them when they ask, "what do you want your payments to be?"

MannyIsGod
07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, carsalesmen will KILL you with the payments line.

Although I agree that most of the time anyone with good credit should not be doing dealer financing, the 0 percent deals they had going on for awhile were unbeatable. You weren't going to go to a bank and get that kind of a deal so in those situations I think it is a good idea to go with a financer like Arcadia or GMAC.

Shelly
07-29-2005, 09:32 AM
My husband always checks some online leasing website (can't remember the url). Anyway, when we bought our F150, Ford lowered their payment to match it.

On a side note, my husband came home with his new car last night. They let him have it without signing any papers. But we're also an extremely loyal customer which I'm sure had a lot to do with it.

DrRich
07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
I disagree with you, DrRich. I've worked for 2 different companies in the health insurance business - once as an angent and currently in support of reps that deal with agents. My current employer does things that go way beyond anything else I've seen in the industry, and as an agent my clients had everything broken down to them in good detail. They didn't always know what their coverages were, but I was always available to explain it to them.

Expecting a person to know exactly what their policies contain is reaching. These things are usually huge and have special exemptions for a bunch of things. Dental policies are simpler, but they are also usually an afterthought and add on to health insurance. Hell, as an agent I didn't always know the answer to a clients question regardless of how well I knew my products but I would always find them a correct answer.

PS So many people get their policies through employers and never have an agent to get in contact with. Unless the company is large, they usually don't have anyone in the human resources department to turn to either. And calling the carrier directly is probably going to get you a call center, and we all know how great the standard of call center customer service is. I think that is another reason why so many people are ignorant of what their policies cover.

I will agree with you concerning the employers perspective. Most of my trouble lies in the fact that most policy holders are victims of crappy insurance that their employer purchases in order to cut cost.

My main beef is the customer service, or I should say lack of, that we as providers get. We are the "enemy" and they could really careless about the information the give us! To illustrate this point, one day in my office, three of us called an insurance company three seperate times to verify insurance coverage on the SAME patient, and eahc of us where given three DIFFERENT coverages. Now, tell me how that constitutes good customer service.

Didn't Humana just lose a lawsuit?...which they are appealing of course.

Yeah they just lost one a couple days ago on the medical side. Aetna lost one on the dental side aboout a year and half ago! Most of which went to the plaintiff, the ADA. The class action suit involved so many dentists that the award wasn't all that much so most ended up donating it back to the ADA.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2005, 09:50 AM
That Humana lawsuit put the nail in the coffin for the HMO.

DrRich
07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
That Humana lawsuit put the nail in the coffin for the HMO.

That would be nice but I think they have way too much money towards lobbying. Some politician will propose a law to protect them. Or even worse, this could lay the ground work for socialized medicine :pctoss

violentkitten
07-29-2005, 05:07 PM
what the big cat learned is that if you remind a firm about the value of their reputation locally you tend to get your ass kissed.

:)

as for large purchases, only a house or company warrants being anal about.

and no, it wasn't an 03 yukon. it was a slightly earlier model and it was not covered under a manufacturer's warranty.

N.Y. Johnny
07-29-2005, 10:29 PM
What do you guys think about that "Employee Price" bullshit the dealerships are all running now?
probably just another crock of shit huh?

MannyIsGod
07-29-2005, 10:35 PM
The prices are good. But everything said in this thread still holds. Buyers really have power right now because dealers can't move cars worth a damn at the moment. They'll do anything to sell you a car right now.

Faccia di Angelo
07-29-2005, 10:39 PM
and never anwer them when they ask, "what do you want your payments to be?"
wow. I learned that the other day.
So how do you counter that line? What do you say in response?

Bishop Ryan- You sound like someone who knows what he's talking about. I need someone like you to come with me on my shopping experience :lol
I'm actually in the process of looking for a new car. I'm a first time buyer and don't have a clue about what to do. I wish I had my sister here in town to
help me out cause she's real good at things like this. The first piece of advice she gave me was, "don't buy" when I told her I was gonna go looking and I almost made that mistake last weekend. I almost bought a car at Ingram Park Nissan but walked away from it. They had the purchase order in front of me and told me just sign but I just didn't feel right. My cousin actually works there and he told me they are real agressive there. And they definitely were. They looked so pissed off at me when I told them it still wasn't what I wanted. They said, why? Its the payment amount you wanted..The total cost doesn't really matter in the end. Its just a number. It's the payments that matter. My cousin would tell me that too. But I think the total cost does still matter somehow. And the length of time. I could tell they were angry but I didn't really care. It was funny seeing that guy storm out of there when I insisted. It was nerve wracking to me. To them its a couple hundred maybe thousand dollars, we're talking about thousands of dollars for me. Thats a big purchase I don't want to take lightly.

How should I research exactly? What am I looking for? I was reading in posts about how you should do the financing. I asked for a loan once from my bank (I bank with you Foofida! Firstmark CU) and they denied me, would asking for a car loan be different?
I have "good" credit. I qualified on my own but they still asked if I could get a cosigner to get a lower interest rate. I don't know how all that works :(

Does anyone know about this fleet pricing thing? My mom supposedly can get the fleet pricing at a local dealer here in town because she works for the district. They have a partnership with the dealer to offer its district employees fleet pricing and I don't know if that would be better than going to another dealer.

I just don't want to end up getting screwed. Everyone tells me because I'm a girl they are going to take me for a fool and also cause I'm a first time buyer. I want to be a smart informed shopper instead. Any advice would be SOOO appreciated.

MannyIsGod
07-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Actually, I think the employee discount isn't off MSRP. But I could be wrong.

But either way, the employee discount is much better for cars that are going to run more expensive. 30% off of a 30k car is going to come in below invoice.

MannyIsGod
07-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Faccia, what kind of vehicle with what options are you looking for? There are plenty of sites online that will give you the invoice cost of a vehicle. That is where you need to start negotiating from. THe MSRP is absolute SHIT.

Clandestino
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Faccia di Angelo]wow. I learned that the other day.
So how do you counter that line? What do you say in response? [/b]

i tell them straight up. i don't worry about the payment. let's work on the final price. what are you going to sell me this exact car for? write that down on your card. i want one offer... your lowest one first. i dont have a lot of time to play the "let me go see my manager again." and also, i never even talk about price or anything like that until i know i like the car. i just take my time test driving and checking it out.. and you can test drive the thing as long as you want and anywhere you want..

and yeah, your sis is right, don't buy the first one you look at.. that is what the card with the price is for.. .even if you love it, take the card, and go look at least 2 other cars and try to negotiate down from that price... get the card, then call the 2 others and give them chances to go lower... even if they don't make a high commission on the sale, they will be ok with it, bc they still get a unit moved...

and ingram park is the the dealership that told me never to come back.. i think i said it was world car earlier... but yeah, they are total assholes... and remember, at anytime before you actually hand over the final check/money/sign the last paper, you can walk away and owe nothing.. they will try to say, "did you not sign this paper, etc?" you just say, "sorry, but i changed my mind."

oh yeah, the reason the payments don't matter is because they can set them up for 6 or even 7 years.. you will have a low payment, with a high interest rate, but end up paying like $20,000 for a $14,000 car.. they will give you the highest interest rate possible for you payment range with the longest time frame...

but yeah, like manny said, the first thing you need to do when you are ready to buy is know the car you want.. you will then go online and find out what you should pay.. once you get to the dealership you will how jacked up the price is...

Faccia di Angelo
07-31-2005, 01:20 AM
well guys, I took the advice and went to see my bank first thing this morning to apply for a loan. I scored! I qualified for one, although it wasn't a lot :( Or at least not enough to get a new car like I hoped. Unless its a Kia maybe. lol I had been looking into possibly getting a Focus but even the most basic stripped down ones are kinda pricey. Anyone know any cheap new decent cars out there? I'm probably gonna try looking at used ones, and see what I find. Is that a whole other ball game? lol
Car shopping, what a bloody headache.
Thanks so much for the advice and help guys! I'm really learning a lot about all this.

Clandestino
07-31-2005, 09:26 AM
well guys, I took the advice and went to see my bank first thing this morning to apply for a loan. I scored! I qualified for one, although it wasn't a lot :( Or at least not enough to get a new car like I hoped. Unless its a Kia maybe. lol I had been looking into possibly getting a Focus but even the most basic stripped down ones are kinda pricey. Anyone know any cheap new decent cars out there? I'm probably gonna try looking at used ones, and see what I find. Is that a whole other ball game? lol
Car shopping, what a bloody headache.
Thanks so much for the advice and help guys! I'm really learning a lot about all this.

you can still see what the car dealership offers in terms of financing. maybe they can hook you up with a low interest rate or cash rebate. many sites online offere calculators that you type in the interest rate vs taking the cash rebate and see which offer is best...

NASHville
07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Always get your own financing. Most of the time you'll get a better deal especially if don't have great credit of if you are black or hispanic.

Useruser666
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Again, I tell anyone here that any questions about buying or leasing a car go here first:

www.carbuyingtips.com

It has everything you need to know, including payment calcualtors, links to warrenty sites, and loan sites.

I recommend First Mark www.firstmarkcu.com for car loans. Dealer financing for the most part is a trap. The zero percent interest rates are a joke because hardly anyone can qualify for them. You have to have perfect credit to get them, and if you have THAT perfect credit you can probably just pay cash for the car out right.

Faccia di Angelo
07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Nice site User. I'm gonna check it out.
Thats my bank, Firstmark! why do you recommend them?
My rate is going to be around 8% I believe. Hope thats still decent.

If I see what the dealer still has to offer in terms of financing they still have to pull my credit report right? I hate that. I don't like anyone pulling my report unless absolutely necessary. In the past month its been done about 4 times. I'm dropping points here. I asked my cousin for a copy of the report he pulled on me when I went to his dealership. ( I know they're not supposed to though)

Useruser666
07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Also, DO NOT TRUST THESE DEALERS!!!

Red Mcombs

Northside Ford (Owned by Red Mcombs)

Gillespe Ford

I have personally seen them try and rip people off. I have also heard some of the horror stories that people have experienced with them.

Red Carpet financing is a TOTAL RIP OFF!!! You will be screwed raw if you sign a deal with Red Carpet Financing. You have been warned!!!

Useruser666
07-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice site User. I'm gonna check it out.
Thats my bank, Firstmark! why do you recommend them?
My rate is going to be around 8% I believe. Hope thats still decent.

If I see what the dealer still has to offer in terms of financing they still have to pull my credit report right? I hate that. I don't like anyone pulling my report unless absolutely necessary. In the past month its been done about 4 times. I'm dropping points here. I asked my cousin for a copy of the report he pulled on me when I went to his dealership. ( I know they're not supposed to though)

*% is kinda high. Is it for a used car? That would be about right then. Firstmark is good beacuse they give you a low fair rate. I have just paid off my truck with them. I got 4.25% for 48 months. You will be so much better off having you financing already taken care of BEFORE you go to the dealer. That way they can't use it to screw you later. Always negociate the final price of the vehicle first. Never negociate monthly payments, a trade in, or financing UNTIL you know what the vehicle you want costs!!! In fact don't even talk about anything else but the final price until you know it. Don't tell them you have a trade in until they tell you the price. Tell them you're not worried about financing until you know what the vehicle costs.

The best tool is a folder filled with info from websites or other dealer quotes that you can take with you to other dealers. Print out the costs of all the options and packages for the vehicle you want. www.edmunds.com is good for finding out dealer cost and MSRP for such things. That way dealers can't overcharge you on options or added equipment if you know what it should cost. They can't screw you because you have the info right there in your hand. If some added equipment is on the vehicke you want, but you don't want it, don't pay for it!!! Either have them get a vehicle that is perfect for you or tell you don't want to pay for it. There was a truck I wanted that had a 6 disc cd changer on it that was an extra $300. I didn't want it, so I told the dealer that. He offered to discount the truck $300 because I didn't want it.

The bottom line is negociate. Don't be afraid to ask for a lower price. Worst thing is they say no. And NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a car on the first trip to the dealer. Who cares if the dealer says it will be sold, there are always other cars out there. The dealer will know that you can't be pressured and you'll have the upper hand.

Shelly
07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Another good site is here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/analysis/calculators/leasebuy.html

You can figure out payments if you want to lease or buy

Faccia di Angelo
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Northside Ford? That was my first choice because they were in my banks friendly dealer network and the dealer the district my mom works for has a deal with to offer lower prices to its employees. Figured they might offer a better deal. Damn.

Yeah, I was hoping to get a new car but now it looks like its gonna be used. For the amount I was approved for its gonna be hard to find a new one.
My sis said the same thing about the financing beforedhand. At least I know what I can spend and will stick to that. It won't be as frustrating.

MannyIsGod
07-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Red Carpet is the biggest scam of all time. I would never reccomend anyone do it. And as Chris said, avoid anything with Red's name associated with it. They tend to be the worst.

MannyIsGod
07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Good advice, Chris.