PDA

View Full Version : Do The Spurs Haze the Rookies?

BanditHiro
11-17-2013, 01:37 AM
There is seems to be a huge movement stirring about phasing out bully/hazing out of professional sports after the Incognito incident, so i was just wondering do the Spurs participate in the age old tradition? Never pay attention during the off-season so that why i ask.

DJR210
11-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah, they just don't storm out and cry about it.

mute
11-17-2013, 01:51 AM
I've heard from some people (with knowledge of the situation) that Parker got rode hard by Popovich his rookie year in 2001, not sure if that's just some tough love by a tough coach or some legit "hazing". Same with Tiago (from other sources), he didn't play much his rookie year either. I think it's sort of like a 'rite of passage' before getting significant minutes as a first year player.

Man In Black
11-17-2013, 03:17 AM
The Parker thing ain't hazing. It's donuts your entire rookie year and ball-retrieval if you screw up. That means all the players throw balls in the arena, all in different parts and he has to get every ball. That happened for Manu his rookie season.

td4mvp2k
11-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Bully and hazing are not da same btw... And ya spurs do haze but dont do wat incognito has tbh

Obstructed_View
11-17-2013, 05:04 AM
If someone cries because he has to go get donuts then maybe he shouldn't be playing pro sports.

http://youtu.be/iYl8i3iHY6E

Baam
11-17-2013, 05:05 AM
There is seems to be a huge movement stirring about phasing out bully/hazing out of professional sports after the Incognito incident, so i was just wondering do the Spurs participate in the age old tradition? Never pay attention during the off-season so that why i ask.

Pretty sure the Spurs rookies only have to carry the bags and buy donuts.

eric365
11-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Actually the spurs vets are protecting and supporting the rookie.
IIRC Bowen and Malik Rose explained how they bought suits for a rookie, Parker how he helped Nando when he came in san antonio
Many times we heard about a vet helping the rookie find a house etc...

If you have all that and you just have to buy donuts, I'd like to be hazed

barakz21
11-17-2013, 08:33 AM
As far as I know, it's bag and donuts, as Baam and the other posters said..

$pursDynasty
11-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Heck Timmy hazes everyone from rookies to SJax, but he also has their backs, the ultimate big brother on the team.

davidbowie
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Tony porks the rookies gf's

baseline bum
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
In David Robinson's interview with Dan Patrick he said the rookie hazing was just bringing donuts and carrying the vets' bags.

Proxy
11-17-2013, 11:15 AM
I've heard from some people (with knowledge of the situation) that Parker got rode hard by Popovich his rookie year in 2001, not sure if that's just some tough love by a tough coach or some legit "hazing". Same with Tiago (from other sources), he didn't play much his rookie year either. I think it's sort of like a 'rite of passage' before getting significant minutes as a first year player.

GHill and Kawhi got plenty of playing time their rookie years.

Man In Black
11-17-2013, 11:37 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/magazine/vol5no25ginobili.html

It's late morning in San Antonio and stomachs are growling on the SBC Center court. Spurs rookies are required to bring the team three dozen doughnuts -- glazed, chocolate glazed, raspberry -- to every home-game morning shootaround. After coming through for the team's first five games, Manu mistakenly thought it was fellow rookie Devin Brown's turn.

At Duncan's behest, the players heaved the practice balls into the stands for Ginobili to collect as punishment. "When Tim told everybody to get a ball and circle up, I thought they were going to throw them at me," Ginobili says. "But I deserved it. I was hungry too."

barakz21
11-17-2013, 02:19 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/magazine/vol5no25ginobili.html

:lol At Manu thinking they were gonna throw balls at him, and :lol At evil Tim. Good story, thanks for sharing it kababayan!

PlayNando
11-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Pop hazed Tony because he is an Anti-French Nationalist.

sananspursfan21
11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
In David Robinson's interview with Dan Patrick he said the rookie hazing was just bringing donuts and carrying the vets' bags.

Thats what I've heard about every nba team. Donuts and bag carrying. And i think it was jrue holiday saying they made him carry a hello kitty backpack everywhere they went, nothing really exciting

DapDaGenius
11-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Did the donuts thing start when Boris joined the team?

Libri
11-17-2013, 09:46 PM

I'm sure Blair loved to bring the donuts.

exstatic
11-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Yeah, but he had to buy 5 dozen just to make sure that 3 dozen made it to practice.

apalisoc_9
11-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I've got an Inappropriate joke In my mind about this thread but....

Biernutz
11-17-2013, 11:20 PM
I recall Blair saying he had to bring doughnuts. As fat as he was as a rookie
you have to guess he sampled a few to make sure they were safe to eat.

look_at_g_shred
11-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Tony porks the rookies gf's
Hahahahahahah

hater
11-19-2013, 12:33 AM
:lol davidbowie beat me to it

let's see.. the rookies are forced to have daily 1 hour dialogue sessions with Kawhi :lol

McGusto55
11-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Damm donuts sound good..tbh

Sean Cagney
11-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Pop hazed Tony because he is an Anti-French Nationalist.

But he has Boris on the team too man! He can't be that anti.

Sean Cagney
11-19-2013, 02:08 AM

I bet he DID NOT bring some..... Some found his tummy.

PlayNando
11-19-2013, 02:20 AM
But he has Boris on the team too man! He can't be that anti.
Pop was reluctant with Boris. He oppressed him in his first two years. but now that Pop is finally letting him play his style and giving him minutes, Boris is beginning to thrive.

Pop oppressed Boris by playing that red headed stepchild Bon Bon over him.

Sean Cagney
11-19-2013, 02:21 AM
Pop was reluctant with Boris. He oppressed him in his first two years. but now that Pop is finally letting him play his style and giving him minutes, Boris is beginning to thrive.

Pop oppressed Boris by playing that red headed stepchild Bon Bon over him.

I hate Bonner, I will restrain myself there........ FUCK HIM.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-19-2013, 11:59 AM
I hardly doubt there is unprofessional hazing by the Spurs. Pop, their trainer, DRob, etc, in short alot of the Spurs staff our ex-military guys, so I am sure they hard on them to produce players with hardcore mentalities who don't fold under pressure as oppose to pussies.