PDA

View Full Version : Next season bigger contender team

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Which team will be the harder team next year to the Spurs and why..
some options

Suns
Dallas
Houston
Lakers

Pistons
Cavs
Pacers
Miami

FromWayDowntown
07-27-2005, 09:25 AM
some options

Suns
Dallas
Houston
Lakers

One of these teams is not like the others. One of these teams can you tell me which one?

What about Denver? Memphis?

td4mvp3
07-27-2005, 09:25 AM
houston because of their trade and t-mac officially being the man

dallas cuz avery will get a full year and they actually did improve a bit defensively, but terry is still suspect as is dampier

pacers - artest is back, this javescisous guy (however you spell his name) is supposed to be pretty good, oneal won't be injured and sjax is pretty good.

miami - wade is still a force and shaq still has at least a year before crumbling

SpursChampsIII
07-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I think it comes down to Spurs/Rockets, Heat/Pacers/Pistons. I'll pick Spurs over Heat in Finals. If Shaq the Fat is not healthy next year, Spurs over Pacers in Finals.

waly.mg
07-27-2005, 09:44 AM
some options

Lakers

:drunk :drunk :drunk
:lol :lol :lol
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I see the Rockets being the best matchup against the Spurs and giving them a good series. However, I don't see the Rockets getting past Phoenix if they have to face them (still too quick and Houston has no PG still). I also see the Nuggets making some noise especially if they can pick up a reliable shooter or two.

batman2883
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I see the hardest team for the Spurs to face next year will be the Spurs. They are the only team that can beat themselves, we saw it too much this year, when we defeated ourselves, and tell me im wrong for it?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm hesitant to give the Rockets their props. They have under acheived for 2 seasons that I thought they'd be bad ass.

McGrady ain't no winner...book it.

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I am a Rockets fan, so take this for what its worth, but I don't think they underachieved the last 2 seasons. 2 years ago they had talent in Francis and Mobley but they don't fit into a team that is looking to go far and if you have another all-star type of player on the team in Yao. This year, it was an entirely new team, with little else besides the TMac and Yao. They got it going in the second half of the season and did finish 5th in the West. (that is not bad in a good conference) You look at how the playoffs are seeded also, its all out of whack. Seattle should not have been the 3 seed, the Mavs had a much better record, but because the Sonics played in a weak division they got the #3 seed. Now I will be the first person to tell you Houston choked off the first round, but with the addition of an actual PF besides Ryan Bowen, I think they look better and its always a good matchup with the Spurs.

Solid D
07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Pass.

Once free agency signings are completed and we are closer to the 2005-06 season (pre-season), then I'd be able to make an educated guess.

GoSpurs21
07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I am a Rockets fan, so take this for what its worth, but I don't think they underachieved the last 2 seasons. 2 years ago they had talent in Francis and Mobley but they don't fit into a team that is looking to go far and if you have another all-star type of player on the team in Yao. This year, it was an entirely new team, with little else besides the TMac and Yao. They got it going in the second half of the season and did finish 5th in the West. (that is not bad in a good conference) You look at how the playoffs are seeded also, its all out of whack. Seattle should not have been the 3 seed, the Mavs had a much better record, but because the Sonics played in a weak division they got the #3 seed. Now I will be the first person to tell you Houston choked off the first round, but with the addition of an actual PF besides Ryan Bowen, I think they look better and its always a good matchup with the Spurs.Rockets fan = dumb ass loud mouth
at least that's been my experience with them since the 87 season
if Houston lets Howard go then I wont worry about them at all. no way TMac hits that many shots against the Spurs again

SenorSpur
07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
If the Suns decide to retain JJ, which even without QRich, they would basically have their core group intact - I'll pick them.

Otherwise, it'll be either Houston or Dallas.

sa_butta
07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Rockets-Mcgrady will find a way to get his team in the
playoffs again.
Suns-Nash and Amare will be at it again and they will
play better together now that they have one season under
their belts.
Denver-I think Carmelo and company have alot of potential and we will see if they learned anything from last seasons early exit.

Nash to Amare
07-27-2005, 11:13 AM
The Suns because the spurs have no answer for Amare. Kurt Thomas will even out the rebounding advantage the spurs did have. Suns are the toughest. Miami will be the second toughest team.

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
The thing with the Suns is I don't trust Nash. He will have a huge impact once again, but I still remember when they lost 5 straight when he went out. He is getting older and more fragile. I just don't know if he will last, esp. without a viable backup. Barbosa does not seem to be the answer.

WalterBenitez
07-27-2005, 12:05 PM
2005-2006

Suns > Sonics > Dallas > Houston

Miami > Pacers > Pistons > Bulls

td4mvp3
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
The Suns because the spurs have no answer for Amare. Kurt Thomas will even out the rebounding advantage the spurs did have. Suns are the toughest. Miami will be the second toughest team.
the suns just seem to be built around scoring, and while i haven't looked into it, kurt thomas hasn't struck me as a big scoring type. plus, isn't he undersized in the west to play duncan? of course amare will be a monster, but then, so what? he was a monster all through the playoffs, look where it got him because the rest of his team could be shut down. i was thinking of starting a thread asking if amare/duncan would be the next chamberlain/russell saga of an individual talent being trumped in the big game by a better team. and of course nash is bound to breakdown, continues to suffer defensively (our non-all star pg stuck with the league mvp points-wise, i believe) and is getting up in age. for some reason, i think phoenix took a step back this year and will continue to mirror the mavericks' current evolution.

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 01:18 PM
2005-2006

Suns > Sonics > Dallas > Houston

Miami > Pacers > Pistons > Bulls

I can't agree with your West standings. I do think the Suns will be better than the other three, but I don't see Seattle having it this year. Ray Allen isn't in a contract year anymore. No more AD. No Jerome James. Maybe no Danny Fortson. (All that means no bench) And Dallas has done nothing to improve this off-season, and no matter how you feel about Stromile Swift, he is still an improvement at PF no matter what. I would put mine.

Suns > Houston > Denver > Dallas

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Mavs-- would probably be the Spurs biggest competition in the West, simply because I expect them to get better under Avery and with some defense.

Suns--As we've shown, Nash and Amare can score all they want, but we can still beat them

Nuggets--I think they will steal one of the higher seedings from Houston or a 4th seed

Rockets--They still don't have a good PG, they basically have Yao, Mcgrady and a mish-mash of players that are not quite yet reliable role players--at least not enough to become a serious contender. Swift is a good addition, but they also lack a lot in experience department as well.

Golden State--I expect them to be the surprise team next season, much like the Sonics were last, and take the 7th seed away from the Grizz.

Lakers--I expect them to be the 6th seed in the West. Kobe will probably have an MVP like season, Odom may find his niche. PJ will work with what he has.

Sacramento--They'll make the first round....not a serious contender by any means

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh yea, and if you think the Sonics will have the same "sucess" they had last season, you're nuts!

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Suns???

They lost QRich, and now it looks like JJohnson will be gone. Even if they do keep him, they have no bench!

Im not afraid of the Suns. At this point in the offseason, Houston looks like they will be better than the Suns.

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
I do think the Suns will be better than the other three, but I don't see Seattle having it this year. Ray Allen isn't in a contract year anymore. No more AD. No Jerome James. Maybe no Danny Fortson.

And maybe no more Radmanovic, no more Reggie Evans, no more Potapenko, no more Flip Murray. They haven't come to terms with any of their FA's except Ray. I think they might suck.

Jimcs50
07-27-2005, 01:51 PM
In order:

1.Pacers (This team will win over 60 gmes)

2. Houston (Swift will make them better)

3.Detroit (But they will not get to Finals, because of Pacers)

4. Miami (Same as above)

5. Suns (if Joe Johnson returns)

Dex
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
One of these teams is not like the others. One of these teams can you tell me which one?

:lmao

Nice. Goin' old skool with it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
A lot of teams look to be a lot better. . .at least on paper.

If the Suns lose JJ I think they'll slip.

A healthy (and non-suspended) Pacers team could make a lot of noise in the East.

I think the Nets will be back as well. The East should be a lot of fun to watch.

My East right now looks like:

1. Miami
2. Indy
3. Detroit
4. New Jersey
5. Cleveland

But, as Solid said, ask me at the end of free-agency.

Dos
07-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Pacers lost reggie I wonder how that will play late in the game for them, who will be there go to guy.

Pistons if they can keep from going sheed mental I think they might be the same but slightly less off their game.

Suns if still have to buy into defensive rebounding not sending 3 or 4 players back for a fast break oppurtunites.

Heat depends on shaq's and zo's health at the end of the season...

rockets I still think they are a point guard away.. but I don't know if they have picked up anybody through free agency.

sonics just lost too much in the offseason.. no depth off the bench..

nuggets still kind of scarey but again I think ego issues might eventually get into the mix of the team chemistry.

dallas losing finely is going have an effect overall leadership wise..

those are my thoughts, I could be totally wrong...

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 02:09 PM
I have to apologize with all of you people... I wrote "Lakers"...
It was an horrible deja'vu (Pardon my french Tony)
:) :) :D

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
In the East:

1)NJ
2) Pistons
3)Miami--didn't they lose Dooling? He was a big help off their bench
4)Indy
5)Sixers (and I'm being a homer here)
6) Cavs

East is shaping up to have a lot of good teams.........

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 02:21 PM
I think the Bucks will be better than Philly. Sorry 1Parker1.

Banks91
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
forget both philly and bucks, they are not goin anywhere. There are only 5 legit

championship contenders, and they are Spurs, Suns. Pistons, Heat and Wolves.

Minny will be back to contending this year, last year was an off year. Duncan is my

favourite player and im pretty sure there are plenty KG haters here, but lets be real.

They will be 50+ team again

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
How in the hell will Minnesota be better? What have they added to get better?

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
forget both philly and bucks, they are not goin anywhere. There are only 5 legit

championship contenders, and they are Spurs, Suns. Pistons, Heat and Wolves.

Minny will be back to contending this year, last year was an off year. Duncan is my

favourite player and im pretty sure there are plenty KG haters here, but lets be real.

They will be 50+ team again

Who have the gotten in FA's? Spree and Cassell are still old nobody's.

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I think the Bucks will be better than Philly. Sorry 1Parker1.

Way to rain in on my parade. :depressed

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 02:38 PM
In the East:

1)NJ
2) Pistons
3)Miami--didn't they lose Dooling? He was a big help off their bench
4)Indy
5)Sixers (and I'm being a homer here)
6) Cavs

East is shaping up to have a lot of good teams.........

NJ #1? They still don't have an inside presence, especially on defense, and they still don't have a consistent shooter. I would let VC and Jefferson shoot 3s all day. If you are gonna put six on there, I would put maybe the Celtics on there. Weak division and they have good young talent.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Here is my list of the top 5 teams in each conference.

West
1. Spurs
2. Rockets
3. Mavericks/Suns (cant decide yet)
5. Denver

East
1. Pistons
2. Heat
3. Pacers
4. Bucks
5. Cavs

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 02:45 PM
NJ #1? They still don't have an inside presence, especially on defense, and they still don't have a consistent shooter. I would let VC and Jefferson shoot 3s all day. If you are gonna put six on there, I would put maybe the Celtics on there. Weak division and they have good young talent.

No inside presense? Didn't they just land SAR? No consistent shooter? Well, if one of the big three are having an off night.......Carter, RJ, or Kidd can more than make up for it. They will def be in the top 3.............Nets are going to be a whole lot better next season.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Kidd is NOT a shooter!!

1Parker1
07-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Kidd is NOT a shooter!!

Dude can score when he wants. He may not be a Tmac or a Kobe shooting wise, but he can give up 15-17 a season....along with 7-9 assists.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Dude can score when he wants. He may not be a Tmac or a Kobe shooting wise, but he can give up 15-17 a season....along with 7-9 assists.

Here, lemme edit your post for you: Dude could score when he wanted. He may not be a Tmac or a Kobe shooting wise, but he could give up 15-17 a season....along with 7-9 assists.

I honestly dont think he has it anymore. Age and injuries have caught up with him. Its too bad. He was the best PG in the NBA for a while. Lets see if he can stay healthy. Him and Half-Man-Half-A-Season make great teammates.

FoxMulder
07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
The East isnīt so weak

Pistons and Miami will do it again
And then the Pacers if they donīt wrestle in some game

New Jersey doesnīt have a real frontcourt...
Ditto to the Bulls, and Celtics

And Cavs can be the great surprise next season...

Joesteds
07-27-2005, 04:47 PM
No inside presense? Didn't they just land SAR? No consistent shooter? Well, if one of the big three are having an off night.......Carter, RJ, or Kidd can more than make up for it. They will def be in the top 3.............Nets are going to be a whole lot better next season.

SAR is not a precense down low. He is a big and slower 3 but he has the size to play at the 4. He is kind of a tweener I thought. And he is good offensively and will get his numbers, but there is no way he or Kristic can stop Shaq, Wallaces, or Jermaine O'neal. They might be the 4th best team in the east if they stay healthy.

SpursChampsIII
07-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Only one problem with your theory...Suns have no answer for Spurs. Hey lame-brain, did you noticed that the Spurs pretty much let Amare do what he wanted? 4-1 is a fucking rout, so don't come in here and talk Amare shit. You better worry about replacing Joe Johnson, because if they match him for the max contract, they will be in cap hell.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Way to rain in on my parade. :depressed

Yeah but if Philly ends up being better, you can always bring that back up in my face. :)

TexasAggie2005
07-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Here, lemme edit your post for you: Dude could score when he wanted. He may not be a Tmac or a Kobe shooting wise, but he could give up 15-17 a season....along with 7-9 assists.

I honestly dont think he has it anymore. Age and injuries have caught up with him. Its too bad. He was the best PG in the NBA for a while. Lets see if he can stay healthy. Him and Half-Man-Half-A-Season make great teammates.

Re-edit: Dude COULDN'T score when he wanted to. Kidd has tossed up so many bricks, I don't know how anyone calls him a shooter..... Anyone can put up 15 a game when they take that many shots.

Serious contenders for the title next year:

San Antonio - obvious

Phoenix - They're less of a contender this year if anything, they're turning away from the fast break style game and possibly losing pieces.

Detroit - I think they'd like to prove they don't need Brown. They still have the same talented core and McDyess seemed to find his old self.

Miami - Heat would've been in the Finals this year if they could've stayed healthy. Dwayne Wade gets another year to improve.

Possible contenders:

Indiana
Denver
Houston

Overhyped:

Cleveland
Milwaukee
New Jersey