PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Top 20 Players Ever List on NBA.com

Phillip
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/magic/cohen-8ball_ranking-top-20-players-nba-history_062413?page=0

I don't know if this was posted or not. Either way, interesting list. At least someone has the brains to realize how overrated Wilt and Russell get by many people.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Wow, maybe the only thing worse than the actual list was the "analysis", tbh:lol..

I would expect more intelligence from a Jew, tbh..

Captivus
11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Kareem is WAY down on that list.

DMC
11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Wow, maybe the only thing worse than the actual list was the "analysis", tbh:lol..

I would expect more intelligence from a Jew, tbh..

Probably took a payment for that ranking tbh

Killakobe81
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I like the way the Lakers are represented but what a HORRIBLE list ...

Magic is my all-time favorite player in ANY sport and I would rather hoop with him then any other player in NBA history ...
But even he admits MJ is the GOAT. You could argue Magic is a better team guy and one of the greatest winners team players ever ... but MJ is the GOAT Magic is a notch behind and Lebron is gaining on them both ...

D-Wade
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Shaq ahead of MJ :lol
Pip even on the list :lol

baseline bum
11-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Shaq over Jordan and Shaq, Kobe, and Oscar over Kareem? :rollin

Arnold Toht
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Solid list.

baseline bum
11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
At least he got Nowitzki over Malone right.

DeadlyDynasty
11-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Looks good to me...flipflop 4 and 2 though.

hater
11-19-2013, 06:11 PM
if he's talking pure dominance over a stretch it's probably

1. Jordan
2. Hakeem
3. Shaq

SpurSwag
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
laughed when i saw magic at #1
closed the site when i saw shaq #2

DPG21920
11-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Caprisun_Man level list right there.

Arcadian
11-19-2013, 06:19 PM
At least someone has the brains to realize how overrated Wilt and Russell get by many people.

Actually, there's a much simpler explanation: recency bias. People have the tendency to favor things that they have experienced recently and can remember vividly over things that they experienced long ago (or never) and are fuzzy in memory.

m>s
11-19-2013, 06:36 PM
"Caprisun_Man" :lmao

to me it's always pretty funny when kirby stan has to do all that stanning just to put kobe "close" to jordan yet still right behind...because they even know how laughable it would be to state otherwise. lol kobe #4 all time, GMAFB. the ranking jordan at 3 part was just subtle trolling.

DAF86
11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
:lol stretch
:lol "interesting"
:lol "brain to understand how overrated Wilt and Bill get by many people"
:lol Only reason he posted this shitty list is 'cause it has Dirk on it

DAF86
11-19-2013, 06:50 PM
if he's talking pure dominance over a stretch it's probably

1. Jordan
2. Hakeem
3. Shaq

Yeah, let's ignore the guy that averaged 50 ppg one season.

Robz4000
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
:lmao Jesus Christ, what a terrible list

TXstbobcat
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Jordan not #1??? Crappy list.

Katherine Robinson
11-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I agree with leaving Wilt low on the list, but that's about it.

Juggity
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Kevin mchale is a top 20 player of all time?

lol wut

ambchang
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
The list is historically bad, but the analysis took it one step further.

To wit:

In fact, most probably don’t have O’Neal amongst the top 10 NBA players of all time.

What? O'Neal is probably on everyone's top ten list. How can he not be?

MJ is unanimously No. 1 on most people’s all-time best list. However, it’s skewed. Jordan was the league’s superhero when NBA television exposure was blowing up in the 90s.

The NBA blew up in the 90s because of MJ.

You can certainly argue that if Kobe played the heart of his career during the 90s instead of MJ, he would be widely categorized as the best player in NBA history.

:lol Kobe wasn't even better than Shaq, by his own admission. And at this point, 3 of the top 4 were Lakers, I guess we don't have to wonder which team is his favourite team.

And if Shaq was #2 and Kobe #4, why could they only win 3 championships together when they played together in their prime? Why would they get beaten by Duncan and the Spurs twice, who was ranked much lower?

Another center who doesn’t get enough acclaim.

You've been living under a rock or something? Kobe, Lebron and Dwight seeked him out for tutoring. He was widely known to have the best post moves in the history of the league? How the hell was he not getting enough acclaim?

I wasn’t born yet and can only cite research and archived material, but I have always been led to believe that Oscar is the greatest player of his generation.

He then went on to talk about how Russell won more and Wilt was more dominant, so how in the world was Oscar greater?

The only thing that diminishes Kareem was the fact that he never definitively was the best player on any of his championship teams (Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson).

I am SURE he knows the Big O at that point was no where close to his dominant self earlier in his career. He MUST know that KAJ was the clear best player on that Bucks team. He MUST know that KAJ didn't officially hand over the keys to the Lakers until 1986. This is unbelievable that NBA.com would publish an article this shoddily written and clearly by a person with no knowledge of the game.

How would he fair if he was matched up against more recent dominant centers like Shaq, Hakeem and Ewing? Something tells me his stats and reputation as an all-time great would have significantly dropped.

And what is that something? You would have to back up your points, at the very least. Wilt certainly would have scored less, but where did he came in with the half estimate?

In the year MJ played baseball, Pippen averaged a career-best 22 points, almost nine rebounds and nearly six assists.

Grant Hill put up similar numbers for a few years as well, why wasn't Hill a top 10?

If the Doctor played his entire career in the NBA rather than partially in the ABA, he would probably be much higher in the rankings.

Wait, Wilt and Russell's accomplishments were diminished because they played in a different era, and Dr. J should be rewarded for playing in a league that was all scoring and no defense?

Then Jason Kidd over players like Robinson, Barkley, Payton, Stockton, Garnett, and probably a whole list of others.

This was just the worst list I have seen, not even people trying to troll on this site can have a list worse than this.

AchillesHeel
11-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Cohen’s Analysis: You can certainly argue that if Kirby played the heart of his career during the 90s instead of MJ, he would be widely categorized as the best player in NBA history. For a while, Rapist was overshadowed as an all-time great because he played alongside Shaq. But once he captured those two additional titles in 09 and 10, it was unmistakable that Rapist deserved far more respect. Aside from the extra championship, Jordan’s offensive output was a tad more sensational than Kirby’s.

LOL :rollin

horrible

Phillip
11-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Actually, there's a much simpler explanation: recency bias. People have the tendency to favor things that they have experienced recently and can remember vividly over things that they experienced long ago (or never) and are fuzzy in memory.

or it could be the fact that those guys dominated a league where the average centers height was 6'8, and most of the players where white, mediocre athletes, while Russell and especially Wilt were world class athletes.

if anyone seriously thinks that Russell could lead a team to 11 championships, or that Wilt could average 50/20 during an entire season in today's league, words cannot describe the level of stupidity they possess.

Phillip
11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
this list sucks

manu #1
timmy #2
parker #3

MJ a distant 4th

great list faggot :tu

Buddy Mignon
11-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Pippen and Wade shouldn't even be on the list. Kareem at #9 is proof that the author is a moron. I do agree that its tough to choose a player over Magic. Nice to see Zeke get some love. Shaq is boardeline top ten and Duncan has earned a top five... even though he's the owner of the biggest choke job in history. Its time we stop elevating guys like Wilt, Dr. J, Oscar, and Russell just because they were special during their time. Sorry Bird but Kobe and Duncan are better players and have greater legacies and careers.

MJ
Magic
Kareem
Kobe
Jim
Hakeem
Bird
Zeke
Lebron... yes... he's earned it.
Shaq
Shaq

Leetonidas
11-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Shit list. Terrible, just terrible. Does Cohen even watch basketball? Dude doesn't know shit

Captivus
11-20-2013, 12:23 PM
At least he got Nowitzki over Malone right.

Malone, the weak according to Isaiah Thomas.

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/maloneisiah.jpg

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 12:30 PM
The list is historically bad, but the analysis took it one step further.

To wit:

What? O'Neal is probably on everyone's top ten list. How can he not be?

The NBA blew up in the 90s because of MJ.

:lol Kobe wasn't even better than Shaq, by his own admission. And at this point, 3 of the top 4 were Lakers, I guess we don't have to wonder which team is his favourite team.

And if Shaq was #2 and Kobe #4, why could they only win 3 championships together when they played together in their prime? Why would they get beaten by Duncan and the Spurs twice, who was ranked much lower?

You've been living under a rock or something? Kobe, Lebron and Dwight seeked him out for tutoring. He was widely known to have the best post moves in the history of the league? How the hell was he not getting enough acclaim?

He then went on to talk about how Russell won more and Wilt was more dominant, so how in the world was Oscar greater?

I am SURE he knows the Big O at that point was no where close to his dominant self earlier in his career. He MUST know that KAJ was the clear best player on that Bucks team. He MUST know that KAJ didn't officially hand over the keys to the Lakers until 1986. This is unbelievable that NBA.com would publish an article this shoddily written and clearly by a person with no knowledge of the game.

And what is that something? You would have to back up your points, at the very least. Wilt certainly would have scored less, but where did he came in with the half estimate?

Grant Hill put up similar numbers for a few years as well, why wasn't Hill a top 10?

Wait, Wilt and Russell's accomplishments were diminished because they played in a different era, and Dr. J should be rewarded for playing in a league that was all scoring and no defense?

Then Jason Kidd over players like Robinson, Barkley, Payton, Stockton, Garnett, and probably a whole list of others.

This was just the worst list I have seen, not even people trying to troll on this site can have a list worse than this.
Yeah because Kobe was in his prime in 1999....

idiot

ambchang
11-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah because Kobe was in his prime in 1999....

idiot

And Duncan was in his prime when he missed the layup in 6

idiot

Jordanobili2320
11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
damn, KUSH got this boy making craaaaaaazy lists. This shit is awful lol.

Arnold Toht
11-20-2013, 12:58 PM

idiot

Duncan missed the layup in 7 :lol

ambchang
11-20-2013, 01:07 PM

My bad.

baseline bum
11-20-2013, 01:42 PM

How many times you watched 6 and 7 son?

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 01:52 PM

idiot

Never said he was

Sean Cagney
11-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Shaq ahead of MJ :lol
Pip even on the list :lol

LOL this dude has three Lakers in the top 4, stopped reading there. If you make a list atleast make it somewhat unbiased. That list is a joke.

ambchang
11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Never said he was

So why is winning a losing in and out of prime a concern for Kobe when it isnt' for Duncan?

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 02:11 PM
So why is winning a losing in and out of prime a concern for Kobe when it isnt' for Duncan?
Listen, you said Kobe lost to Duncan twice in his prime. He didn't because he wasn't in his prime in '99. I didn't say anything about Duncan.

ambchang
11-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Listen, you said Kobe lost to Duncan twice in his prime. He didn't because he wasn't in his prime in '99. I didn't say anything about Duncan.

Shaq and Kobe. Shaq was in his prime in 99.

BTW, Kobe had a WS/48 of .130, not all that different from his ws/48 of .145 in 2005 (his prime).

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Shaq and Kobe. Shaq was in his prime in 99.

BTW, Kobe had a WS/48 of .130, not all that different from his ws/48 of .145 in 2005 (his prime).
WS/48 huh

Kobe in his prime: 4-1 vs Spurs

Let's not forget 08

jARS mEsH sEt
11-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Only one that gave me pause was Wade at #17. It's not the most ridiculous thing in the world but I feel like if you gave me an hour to think about it I could think of several players more deserving than Wade for top 20.

Arnold Toht
11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
How many times you watched 6 and 7 son?

More times than I can think of.

skmblz
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Only one that gave me pause was Wade at #17. It's not the most ridiculous thing in the world but I feel like if you gave me an hour to think about it I could think of several players more deserving than Wade for top 20.

an hour? seconds!

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
LOL this dude has three Lakers in the top 4, stopped reading there. If you make a list atleast make it somewhat unbiased. That list is a joke.
Lakers had a lot of good players. A normal list might have MJ at 1, then Kareem and Magic at 2/3, then a case can be made for either Shaq or Kobe at 4. Not that big of a stretch. The three lakers in the top 4 is not the problem. Pippen and Mchale making the top 20 is what's bad tbh.

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Lol at least Wade has a case for top 20, a small one, but a case. Pippen and McHale have no reason to be close to their spot.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
That list was more horrible than any other list I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty bad ones on this forum.

He needed desperately to explain why he was ranking people the way he was, but no, instead in his analysis, he made himself sound completely oblivious to the game of basketball.

Brunodf
11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
You can say whatever excuses u want about Russell championships and Wilt stats, but facts are facts, Wilt is the only one to ever average 50 ppg and Russell won 11 championships, they were the best players of their generation and both should be ranked in the top 5 tbh

Phillip
11-20-2013, 07:22 PM
You can say whatever excuses u want about Russell championships and Wilt stats, but facts are facts, Wilt is the only one to ever average 50 ppg and Russell won 11 championships, they were the best players of their generation and both should be ranked in the top 5 tbh

thats pretty narrowminded, and quite stupid to be frank

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 07:25 PM

What about the great George Mikan?

ambchang
11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
WS/48 huh

Kobe in his prime: 4-1 vs Spurs

Let's not forget 08

Shaq was 3-2, Kobe's 1-0. We don't count 2nd bananas.

Brunodf
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Shaq was 3-2, Gasol 1-1. We don't count 2nd bananas.
Fixed

nowhereman523
11-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Gimme Moses over Wade 7 days a week

ambchang
11-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Lakers had a lot of good players. A normal list might have MJ at 1, then Kareem and Magic at 2/3, then a case can be made for either Shaq or Kobe at 4. Not that big of a stretch. The three lakers in the top 4 is not the problem. Pippen and Mchale making the top 20 is what's bad tbh.

No case can be made for Kobe in the top 5, he's a stretch for top 10. Shaq would have a very tough time cracking the top 5.

Jordan, magic, KAJ as top 3
Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem and Moses in the next tier
Lebron closing in fast on the next tier with a very remote chance of joining the top 3
Wilt, Russell and Oscar some where in there depending on your view of the old times.
That's top 12.

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 08:40 PM
No case can be made for Kobe in the top 5, he's a stretch for top 10. Shaq would have a very tough time cracking the top 5.

Jordan, magic, KAJ as top 3
Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem and Moses in the next tier
Lebron closing in fast on the next tier with a very remote chance of joining the top 3
Wilt, Russell and Oscar some where in there depending on your view of the old times.
That's top 12.
It's very easy to make a case for Kobe in the top 5.

"He's a stretch for top 10"......:lmao

No Kobe in your top 12? Strong IQ

Arcadian
11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
(thinks about it for a second)

Kobe's not in my top 10 either. I take Lebron and Julius Erving over him, tbh.

Deuce Bigalow
11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
(thinks about it for a second)

Kobe's not in my top 10 either. I take Lebron and Julius Erving over him, tbh.
I'd take both those players too over Duncan if I was staring a team tbh

DAF86
11-20-2013, 09:26 PM
or it could be the fact that those guys dominated a league where the average centers height was 6'8, and most of the players where white, mediocre athletes, while Russell and especially Wilt were world class athletes.

if anyone seriously thinks that Russell could lead a team to 11 championships, or that Wilt could average 50/20 during an entire season in today's league, words cannot describe the level of stupidity they possess.

Well their greatness resides on being World class athletes on that Era, being ahead of their time. You can't compare players from different eras but you can compare the level of dominance of said players in their respective eras. That's why Russell and Wilt should be on everybody's all-time top ten list, probably top five too.

ambchang
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Tough to make a case for Kobe over any of the players in my list. Would like to hear your viewpoints on it.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2013, 10:13 PM
if kirby is top5 for being 2nd bananas for 5 of his rings...wheres fkn horry or kerr on that list?

Phillip
11-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Well their greatness resides on being World class athletes on that Era, being ahead of their time. You can't compare players from different eras but you can compare the level of dominance of said players in their respective eras. That's why Russell and Wilt should be on everybody's all-time top ten list, probably top five too.

depends on what kind of list we are talking about.

if its a top 10 list for career accomplishments, absolutely.

if its a top 10 list for best basketball players ever, they have no business being in there.

Phillip
11-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Gimme Moses over Wade 7 days a week
yeah where the hell is Moses on this list? he has no business being behind Pippen, McHale, Dirk, Malone, or Wade.

DAF86
11-20-2013, 10:37 PM

There's definitely at least 10/13 guys that have a case for being over Kobe in the all-time list, only homers like you can think that Kobe not being on a top ten all-time list could be laughable.

Sean Cagney
11-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't have Shaq at #4 all times nor Kobe but they are top ten. I have a problem with 3 in the top four but I agree with you on the other two, no doubt that is a joke! Pippen is not top 20 all times and Mchale surely is not. Magic is high though and Kareem no doubt, have no problem but MJ at where he is at on the list is laughable. Wade is not on there IMO either, no he is not top 20 all times.

Rogue
11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
yeah where the hell is Moses on this list? he has no business being behind Pippen, McHale, Dirk, Malone, or Wade.
Dude's tenure as a rocket must have counted against his legend imho.

barbacoataco
11-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Crazy list. MJ #1 is obvious. Kareem should be much higher. Really you have to distinguish between career and peak value when comparing players. Duncan had a better more productive career than Shaq, but in terms of peak value Shaq is slightly higher.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't think any player that couldn't win MVP + Finals MVP in the same season can be argued in the top 8-9, tbh..

It's the pinnacle of dominance in the NBA..

Leetonidas
11-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Kobe has a legit argument for top 10 and is a lock in the top 12 but there is no way he is top 5 all-time. Only deluded Lakerfan thinks this. Be happy that you guys have 2 players almost unanimously ranked as top 3 all-time with Shaq somewhere in the 6-10 range. Stop blindly trying to prop Kobe up, dude has numerous stains on his legacy and missed the playoffs in his prime. He is at least #12 all-time, why is that not good enough for Lakerfan?

DMC
11-21-2013, 12:15 AM

If you look at the greatest Finals performances of the past 30 years, Wade is up there with the best. Guess who isn't?

DMC
11-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Crazy list. MJ #1 is obvious. Kareem should be much higher. Really you have to distinguish between career and peak value when comparing players. Duncan had a better more productive career than Shaq, but in terms of peak value Shaq is slightly higher.

Prime Tim was a PF unlike prime Shaq. Two different roles, different areas on the court, and had they played together we'd still be counting peats.

jARS mEsH sEt
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
If you look at the greatest Finals performances of the past 30 years, Wade is up there with the best. Guess who isn't?

Which one are we talking about? Anything other than '05-'06 I presume?

DeadlyDynasty
11-21-2013, 08:06 PM
The author knew what he was doing and got the desired respons(es)...if he would've come out with another 1. Michael, 2. Magic, 3. Russell list everyone would've yawned and moved on.

His one saving grace is keeping that bible-beating, playoff-choking coat-tailer off the list.

RsxPiimp
11-21-2013, 09:24 PM
That article had potential but it quickly went south when Shaq was ranked ahead of Jordan. I can see a case for Magic but Shaq has no business sitting at # 2. But we all know the writers intentions are crystal clear. It was made to create buzz and attention.

Moving on, Kobe's not a Top 5 player. I supported Kobe through thick and thin, but he's a # 8 at best but is more likely a Top 10 IMO. His lack of Regular Season MVP hurts him, true but I don't think it should be counted against him. Shaq absolutely dominated his era but he never took more than 1 MVP throughout his career, Nash has 2. You get the point. But during Kobe's absolute peak, he won back to back scoring titles, Back to back Final MVP's and Championships and an Olympic Gold Medal, that 5 year run was fruitful, it totally removed a few figurative monkeys from his back. His peak was never the strongest, but there's no shame in that because it was a great success.

While the advanced statistics never much favored Kobe, it is his relentless desire to be the best and his mental toughness to come through in the most difficult of circumstances that warrants his place in the top 10 of all time. There's a reason why his peers, contemporaries, scouts, GM's and reputable Sports publications (ESPN, Sports Illustrated) named him player of the decade.

I'm well aware of his deficiency, particularly in his shooting selection which has been the achilles heel of his career (no pun) but he also has a couple of historical landmarks and surpassed the accomplishments by some of the greats that came before him to compensate that. Kobe belongs in Top 10 list, if you grew up in this era and you fully don't appreciate his work, or ignore the best basketball minds that rewards him for being one of the best, then you're not being honest to yourself.

DAF86
11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
1-Jordan
2-Wilt
3-Magic
4-Bird
5-Kareem
6-Russell
7-Lebron
8-Shaq
9-Duncan
10-Hakeem

There you have ten players better than Kobe off the top of my head. If I do some research I'm sure numbers will suggest that guys like Moses Malone and Oscar Robertson should be ahead of him too.

D-Wade
11-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Which one are we talking about? Anything other than '05-'06 I presume?

'11 against the Mavs when Lebron went MIA.

DAF86
11-21-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.sporcle.com/games/RadShadow/mvp-and-finals-mvp-in-the-same-season

Add Russell, Wilt and Robertson to this list and you have your top 13.

Deuce Bigalow
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
SImple google search of top 10 alltime...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/Top-10-players-in-NBA-history

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Wilt
7. Oscar
8. Kobe
9. Shaq
10. Duncan

http://www.hoopsmanifesto.com/articles/basketball/top-10-nba-players-of-all-time.html

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Wilt
7. Shaq
8. Kobe
9. Duncan
10. Oscar

Denial, it aint just a river in Egypt

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Why are people posting lists from other fans, tbh?:lol..

Any list that doesn't include comprehensive advanced stats is antiquated, tbh..

ambchang
11-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Lol. Fox News.

Brazil
11-22-2013, 11:09 AM

http://www.hoopsmanifesto.com/articles/basketball/top-10-nba-players-of-all-time.html

Deuce Bigalow :lol

yeah no... kobe is not in my top 10 either

DAF86
11-22-2013, 04:35 PM

I know those lists suck 'cause they have Kobe ahead of Duncan and Shaq. I saw those three play and I know that Kobe is the lesser player of the bunch.

Deuce Bigalow
11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
I know those lists suck 'cause they have Kobe ahead of Duncan and Shaq. I saw those three play and I know that Kobe is the lesser player of the bunch.
Oh really?

Robert Horry, who played with all of them, said Kobe was the greater player.

Dirk Nowtzki, who's been in the league for 15 seasons, called Kobe the greatest player in the last 15 years.

Dwyane Wade also called Kobe the greatest player of this era.

BUMP
11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Wait, Duncan has 4 rings?

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh really?

Robert Horry, who played with all of them, said Kobe was the greater player.

Dirk Nowtzki, who's been in the league for 15 seasons, called Kobe the greatest player in the last 15 years.

Dwyane Wade also called Kobe the greatest player of this era.

:lol Robert Horry said this while vying for a job with the Lakers..

Dirk said Kobe is the number 1 player in terms of scoring and style, which I agree with..

Lebron has said Duncan is the best player of his generation, too..

It doesn't really matter, though, NBA opinions are mostly meaningless, now that we have access to all the tools the scouts/coaches have and we realize how wrong 99% of their analysis is:lol..such as Magic Johnson(a top 5 player of all-time) and Jalen Rose admitting Bill Simmons(a fan that never played sports) was correct about Rudy Gay and they were completely wrong..

The only people that still use NBA opinions for their arguments are old people and members of Al-Quobe, tbh:lol..listening to a former player analyze the NBA is very difficult, most of them are very fortunate to be winners of the genetic lottery..

I have Kobe in the top 10, btw, just saying..it's difficult for me to put a player in the top 10 when he has never won MVP and Finals MVP in the same season, but still, I respect Kobe that much..

ShowtimeFan
11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
1-Jordan
2-Wilt
3-Magic
4-Bird
5-Kareem
6-Russell
7-Lebron
8-Shaq
9-Duncan
10-Hakeem

There you have ten players better than Kobe off the top of my head. If I do some research I'm sure numbers will suggest that guys like Moses Malone and Oscar Robertson should be ahead of him too.

I'd take Kobe's longevity over Shaq and Hakeem, Kobe and Duncan are pretty much even, and I can't yet rate Lebron's career over Kobe's (it's coming though), but I agree that top 5 is ridiculous for Kobe.

ShowtimeFan
11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Any list that doesn't include comprehensive advanced stats is antiquated, tbh..

This statement probably sounds funnier to me after a long work week than it normally would, but I can't help picturing HarlemHeat as Steve Urkel with suspenders and all.

monosylab1k
11-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Duncan too low, Kobe too high, Shaq ahead of Jordan :lmao.

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2013, 06:26 PM
IMO:

Peak(which is the more important list, tbh)

1. Dad Killer 91-93
2. Shaquille O'Neal 2000-2002
3. Wilt Chamberlain 1967
4. Lebron James 2012-present
5. Hakeem Olajuwon 1994-1995
6. Kareem Abdul Jabbar 1970s
7. Tim Duncan 2002-2003
8. Larry Bird 1986
9. Magic Johnson 1987
10. Bill Russell 1965(the only impressive Russell season IMO)

Career
1. Dad Killer
2. Abdul-Jabbar
3. Aidsic Johnson

BUMP
11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Peak(which is the more important list, tbh)

Agreed I always hated the longevity shit.

Let's say you have two people, the first guy's name is Harlem the second guy's name is Bob.

Harlem goes into med school with a 4.0, graduates in the top 5% and goes on to become a doctor making $289,000 a year. But then....he dies a year later.

Bob works at McDonald's for 40 years and amasses $500,000 during his lifetime, which is more than Harlem makes in his lifetime and racks up a lot of Employee of the Month awards.

Who's the smarter/better employee?

that's why it doesn't make sense to use the longevity argument. In 20 years when me and my son are circlejerking and talking to each other around the campfire, if he asks me who the best player I ever saw play was, I'm gonna tell him it's who was better at his peak.

in my humble opinion

BUMP
11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
so in conclusion I agree with the author that Shaq is a top 3 player of all time by my analysis. However, he's definitely not better than Jordan and the retarded idea that Jordan was hyped up due to the '90s' or whatever is ridiculous.

Who else could win three titles in a row, retire for two years then come back and win three more titles in a row?

m>s
11-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Agreed I always hated the longevity shit.

Let's say you have two people, the first guy's name is Harlem the second guy's name is Bob.

Harlem goes into med school with a 4.0, graduates in the top 5% and goes on to become a doctor making $289,000 a year. But then....he dies a year later.

Bob works at McDonald's for 40 years and amasses $500,000 during his lifetime, which is more than Harlem makes in his lifetime and racks up a lot of Employee of the Month awards.

Who's the smarter/better employee?

that's why it doesn't make sense to use the longevity argument. In 20 years when me and my son are circlejerking and talking to each other around the campfire, if he asks me who the best player I ever saw play was, I'm gonna tell him it's who was better at his peak.

in my humble opinion

hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif
hnsulonbutcher.gif

hnsulonbutcher.gif

BUMP
11-22-2013, 07:41 PM
cellbioonOT.gif

gnsf0946
11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I usually went with longevity over peak but when you think about it Duncan hasn't been putting all time great stats for several years now but "those don't count cause he's old, however him putting mediocre stats makes him a better player overall" makes no sense. Only thing about longevity is to see who's game was based on fundamentals and who's on pure athleticism which doesn't mean a lot when talking top 10 lists