PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Olajuwan says Howard needs more schooling :lol

Indazone
11-19-2013, 05:34 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/11/19/olajuwon-the-teacher-reaches-out-to-nigerian-youth-and-dwight-howard/

VIDEO: NBA stars seek out Olajuwon to learn the secrets of post play (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/01/21/hakeem-olajuwon-dream-teacher.nba/index.html)
Many years before he became mentor to the stars, teaching the fine art of his post moves to the likes of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard (among others), a young Hakeem Olajuwon was a Nigerian student who found answers on the basketball court. “The game was introduced at my school and I learned it from scratch,” Olajuwon said. “I learned about the rules and how to play basketball and I also learned about work ethic, teamwork and communication. Those are tools that are part of a successful life in or out of sports.”
The Hall of Famer was speaking Tuesday from Nigeria, where he was helping to launch a basketball initiative for youth. Even from half a world away, though, Olajuwon was thinking about the struggles of his current pupil, Howard, who he mentored in the offseason after the big man signed a four-year, $88-million free agent contract with the Rockets, Olajuwon’s former team.
“The truth is that I can’t wait to get back to Houston to do more work with Dwight,” said Olajuwon, who left Houston in early October to return to his home in Amman, Jordan and has been keeping track of his pupil on TV. “I wish he was doing a better job.
“Dwight has always been athletic and aggressive and he still is. But when I watch him, what I see are opportunities that he is missing. When he gets the ball, he seems to be taking his time to decide what move to make, where he should go.
“There should not be a delay for Dwight. He must be able to make a faster recognition of the situations and react immediately with a go-to move. You must move right away before the defense has a chance to set up. You must be the one making the first move so that you can force the defender to always be the one reacting.
“I thought we were doing a good job with this when we were working together over the summer and at the start of training camp. But what I see now is that when Dwight gets in competition, he has a tendency to go back to all of his old habits. He’s just doing all of the things that he did before. He needs a reminder.”
Olajuwon plans to return to Houston prior to the NBA All-Star break in February and will remain in Houston through the end of the season and the playoffs.
“Maybe if I am there with him all of the time we can reinforce new habits and make it all feel natural,” Olajuwon said.
Olajuwon, who was a .712 shooter on free throws through his 18-year NBA career, has cringed long distance while watching Howard make a career low .531 from the foul line this season.
“I think this is where a confident routines comes in,” Olajuwon said. “It’s not just putting in hours and hours of work. It’s getting a solid routine and staying with it. With Dwight right now, I think it’s more mental. Sometimes you just have to let it go. Don’t think. Don’t hesitate. Just trust your routine and let it go.
“I won’t say that you can’t ever win a championship as a big man if you don’t shoot free throws well, because Shaq did it four times. But it can be a deciding factor, so you want to fix it.”
Olajuwon, fellow countryman and former NBA player Obinna Ekezie and WNBA champion Swin Cash have joined with the NBA, WNBA, Africare and ExxonMobil to announce the launch of Power Forward, a youth engagement initiative that will use basketball to develop health, leadership and life skills.
The program is being introduced at 10 public and private high schools in Abuja, Nigeria, and will engage 300 students, evenly divided between boys and girls.
Olajuwon, Ekezie and Cash joined 100 youth participants on the court for a series of basketball drills. Basketball is Nigeria’s second-most popular sport with increased interest at the grass-roots level, following the national team’s first-ever qualification for the 2012 Olympics. More than 20 current and former players with Nigerian descent have played in the NBA, more than any other African country.
“When I was growing up, I knew nothing about the NBA,” Olajuwon said. “We couldn’t see games. They weren’t on TV. My goal in playing basketball was to get a scholarship to attend college in America and the rest of my professional career just happened.
“These kids today are from a different generation. They didn’t know me from personal experience. But they did their homework on the Internet. I was surprised to know how much they learned. They are full of energy and enthusiasm and the goal of the Power Forward program is take that energy and channel it into ways that can make productive lives. This is a way that politicians, corporations and educators can unite to get the most out of the next generation.”

Killakobe81
11-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Grantland had some interesting perspective on Howard and Houston click here (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9997968/the-rockets-approach-nba-finals-worthy) for article.

When Houston trades Asik, it might be on Howard alone to prop up the Rockets' defense.

He can still do that. The Lakers were very good defensively when Howard played, and he looks springier than he did last season, when he dealt with back and shoulder issues. He's a deterrent at the basket, and he still has the speed to corral a pick-and-roll 20 feet from the hoop and sprint back to challenge a shot at the basket. Houston opponents are shooting just 55 percent in the restricted area this season, the sixth-stingiest mark in the league, and one that would have ranked second last season, per NBA.com.4

But he's not the same terrifying force he was in Orlando in 2011 and 2012, and that is most obvious on the offensive end. To be blunt: Howard's post game is dead, or at least on life support, and if it doesn't recover, the Rockets run the serious risk of wasting a dozen possessions per game in order to keep the big fella happy. Howard has shot 20-of-60, or 33 percent, on post-up attempts this season, per Synergy Sports. That would have ranked 88th out of 92 players who recorded at least 75 post-up plays last season. :( He has turned over the ball on an astonishing 24 percent of his post-up chances this season, per Synergy. That would have ranked last among those 92 players last season.

This is not a startling trend. Here are Howard's post-up numbers for the preceding three seasons:

2010-11: 50.6 percent shooting, 14.5 percent turnover rate

2011-12: 49.9 percent shooting, 13.6 percent turnover rate

2012-13: 44.5 percent shooting, 18.2 percent turnover rate

Killakobe81
11-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Not sure why people were thinking it is ALL about being "salty" if you watched Howard in LA he turned over the balla t almost a 20% rate on post-ups shot < 45% and shot less than 60% Ft's ...

Again I wanted him back for his defense ... but he was NOT worth a max deal and did not want to see the offense run through him ... at ALL.

Michael Jordan.
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
-1000 points for being a Rocket fan and can't spell Olajuwon.

Arcadian
11-19-2013, 06:15 PM
No amount of schooling can ever teach that faggot how to post up.

Killakobe81
11-19-2013, 06:29 PM

He had a post-game, a limited one in his Magic days ... it seems hhe has regressed and it's not ALL back related. Mentally he seems "weaker" and the sad thing is (no hating) a lot of it is on him.

92 Shoot em up
11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
lol this fucking scrub couldn't dominate Bargnani in the post

92 Shoot em up
11-19-2013, 06:48 PM

I bet he could make a point blank layup with the Championship on the line...... unlike that dick in the booty ass nigga in ur sig.

Leon Black
11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
I bet he could make a point blank layup with the Championship on the line...... unlike that dick in the booty ass nigga in ur sig.

:lol

Leon Black
11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2818167/duncanmiss.gif

LkrFan
11-19-2013, 07:31 PM

:lmao

But he's not the same terrifying force he was in Orlando in 2011 and 2012, and that is most obvious on the offensive end. To be blunt: Howard's post game is dead, or at least on life support, and if it doesn't recover, the Rockets run the serious risk of wasting a dozen possessions per game in order to keep the big fella happy. Howard has shot 20-of-60, or 33 percent, on post-up attempts this season, per Synergy Sports. That would have ranked 88th out of 92 players who recorded at least 75 post-up plays last season.
This is with him actually trying to fit in with the Rox. Last year, it was clear he was dogging it and waiting for The Escape! from LA (and high expectations bestowed upon Laker fans).

Dream can't change that jackass. After 10 years, he is what he is: glorified Daddy Chandler. Pathetic! :lol

LkrFan
11-19-2013, 07:34 PM

:rollin :lmao :rollin

Stabula
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dwight-Howard-Free-Throw-Airball-Fail.gif

Stabula
11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/819752568.gif

bdictjames
11-19-2013, 09:27 PM
I will feel bad for Howard once that athleticism wears off.

Red Hawk #21
11-19-2013, 10:50 PM

:rollin

Arcadian
11-20-2013, 01:42 AM

Point blank layup =/= sideways floating hook shot with a defender flying at you. Try again, faggot.

whitemamba
11-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Point blank layup =/= sideways floating hook shot with a defender flying at you. Try again, faggot.

damn bro you mad?

Stabula
11-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Battier is 6'8 and was hardly "flying at" Duncan. Refer to the gif.

Rogue
11-20-2013, 09:59 AM
dude's schooling is enough for him to live a smart life in Houston imho, given the average brain level of that city which's piss poor

AchillesHeel
11-20-2013, 10:14 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1357165/confused-o.gif

ambchang
11-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Qd8mGzGK1Uc

RsxPiimp
11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Grantland had some interesting perspective on Howard and Houston click here (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9997968/the-rockets-approach-nba-finals-worthy) for article.

When Houston trades Asik, it might be on Howard alone to prop up the Rockets' defense.

He can still do that. The Lakers were very good defensively when Howard played, and he looks springier than he did last season, when he dealt with back and shoulder issues. He's a deterrent at the basket, and he still has the speed to corral a pick-and-roll 20 feet from the hoop and sprint back to challenge a shot at the basket. Houston opponents are shooting just 55 percent in the restricted area this season, the sixth-stingiest mark in the league, and one that would have ranked second last season, per NBA.com.4

But he's not the same terrifying force he was in Orlando in 2011 and 2012, and that is most obvious on the offensive end. To be blunt: Howard's post game is dead, or at least on life support, and if it doesn't recover, the Rockets run the serious risk of wasting a dozen possessions per game in order to keep the big fella happy. Howard has shot 20-of-60, or 33 percent, on post-up attempts this season, per Synergy Sports. That would have ranked 88th out of 92 players who recorded at least 75 post-up plays last season. :( He has turned over the ball on an astonishing 24 percent of his post-up chances this season, per Synergy. That would have ranked last among those 92 players last season.

This is not a startling trend. Here are Howard's post-up numbers for the preceding three seasons:

2010-11: 50.6 percent shooting, 14.5 percent turnover rate

2011-12: 49.9 percent shooting, 13.6 percent turnover rate

2012-13: 44.5 percent shooting, 18.2 percent turnover rate

salty :lol

Arnold Toht
11-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Oh, my god.

Arcadian
11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Battier is 6'8 and was hardly "flying at" Duncan. Refer to the gif.

Meh, these things are always harder than they look. You could argue that by his standards it's a relatively easy shot - but I'm just saying it was not lol-worthy as some people claim it was. It was a very missable shot.

And to answer some other guy's question, Howard certainly would have missed it. If Duncan makes that shot 9 times out of 10, Howard makes it 1 time out of 10.

Arcadian
11-20-2013, 02:19 PM

damn bro you mad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Killakobe81
11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
salty :lol

I did not write the article only posted it ...I'm not even a stat guy. It just confirmed what I saw last year ...and it hasnt gotten much better even though he is healthier and supposedly happier.

I already stated I dont care if Im called salty, I want see him fail miserably this year. I dont hate the Rox but will root against Howard til he retires ...

RsxPiimp
11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
I did not write the article only posted it ...I'm not even a stat guy. It just confirmed what I saw last year ...and it hasnt gotten much better even though he is healthier and supposedly happier.

I already stated I dont care if Im called salty, I want see him fail miserably this year. I dont hate the Rox but will root against Howard til he retires ...

I was being sarcastic KK.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2013, 11:56 PM
dream disown d12 just like d12 disown his 5 bastard children, what goes around comes around, nothing to see here....

Thebesteva
11-21-2013, 12:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=legm6YaKxkQ

AchillesHeel
11-21-2013, 12:56 AM
inb4 rocketfans come in defending "but but but Dwight was efficient vs Mavs :cry"