07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Has anyone been?

Any tips?

What are the 'do not miss' things...

What should i watch out for...

thanks in advance. :tu

MannyIsGod
07-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Watch out for spit while at the bottom of the Sears Tower.

samikeyp
07-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Geno's East for Chicago style Pizza.

angel_luv
07-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Sears Tower was fun! Was that you I hit, Manny? Sorry! = )

Magnificent Mile is good if you want to shop!

Also I didn't get to go, but I saw some people on a "gangster run" bus tour who seemed to be having a great time.

Dos
07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
it's been a long time since I was there...... but this time of year it's going to be humid as hell... and not every place has air conditioning... so expect to sweat it out if it's humid....

tekdragon
07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Chicago rocks.

Must see:
Navy Pier (hopefully they'll have an event going on...usually live music, etc. A tourist destination, but hey, you're a tourist)
the Magnificent Mile downtown (unlimited bars and clubs...highly recommended: the Underground Wonderbar - one of the hottest blues clubs I've been to. Small place with big soul)
Eat pizza. Seriously. Keep an eye out for a by-the-slice place called "Chi-Town Pizza"
I don't know if you're a nightclub guy, but there's a Crobar in Chicago. If you like dance music at all, Crobar is a world class club.

Buy a day pass for the L. It'll get you anywhere you want to go for the whole day, and it's less than $5.

JoePublic
07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Check out a Cubbies game!

Bandit2981
07-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Ed Debevics, its a pretty cool place to eat

jalbre6
07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Chicago rocks.

Must see:
Navy Pier (hopefully they'll have an event going on...usually live music, etc. A tourist destination, but hey, you're a tourist)
the Magnificent Mile downtown (unlimited bars and clubs...highly recommended: the Underground Wonderbar - one of the hottest blues clubs I've been to. Small place with big soul)
Eat pizza. Seriously. Keep an eye out for a by-the-slice place called "Chi-Town Pizza"
I don't know if you're a nightclub guy, but there's a Crobar in Chicago. If you like dance music at all, Crobar is a world class club.

Buy a day pass for the L. It'll get you anywhere you want to go for the whole day, and it's less than $5.

Wrigleyville and the Gold Coast are a lot of fun, too. Most bars stay open till like 4:00 or so.

ElMuerto
07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Watch your back....

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
wow. this is great. thanks for all this tips. :tu :smokin

Watch your back....

i've wondered about this as well.

should i get a crockodile dundee knife to carry on my back?

or maybe i could take mouse and keep him in a backpack to keep me posted. :lmao

T Park
07-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Someone already said it, but Wrigley Field.

If you want to experience america or at least a piece of americana, an afternoon game witha beer at Wrigley is IT.

Havent been in a while, but, you cant go wrong if you stay in a nice hotel downtown, its a weird town no question.

Solid D
07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
wow. this is great. thanks for all this tips. :tu :smokin

i've wondered about this as well.
should i get a crockodile dundee knife to carry on my back?

or maybe i could take mouse and keep him in a backpack to keep me posted. :lmao

:lol

Enjoy your trip. In recent years, I've only been there in the winter and they have great eateries and pizza joints there. I have always wanted to see a game at Wrigley Field. When I was a teenage kid and we visited Chi-town, our family went to (old) Comiskey for a White Sox game because the Cubs were on the road. ' Never having gone to Wrigley would fall into the Regrets category.

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Zak - is this a vacation? How did you decide to go to Chicago?

spurschick
07-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I was born there, but have never been back. Let me know how the trip goes!

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 12:47 PM
yeah i'm basically going up for two weeks, take a couple classes, and explore/party while trying not to get into too much trouble. wifey is not scheduled to come with, but i fear she may find a way...:lmao

i'm using all my vacation time, but i'm 2 days short, so i'm contemplating calling in sick from up there, or maybe just feign ignorance to the fact.

Solid D
07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Zak - is this a vacation? How did you decide to go to Chicago?

Yeah, what happened...did the Levee break?
signed: Robert Plant

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
take a couple classes

Classes in what, if I may ask?

Have a great time - I would definitely go to a Cubs and/or WhiteSox game if I were you - I've been to both there. I can't give many recommendations on clubs, etc because I haven't been there in many years. But the pizza is good and it's a fun town.

B.AlMighty
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
yeah i'm basically going up for two weeks, take a couple classes, and explore/party while trying not to get into too much trouble. wifey is not scheduled to come with, but i fear she may find a way...:lmao

i'm using all my vacation time, but i'm 2 days short, so i'm contemplating calling in sick from up there, or maybe just feign ignorance to the fact.

If you are taking some classes why isn't your employer covering the costs?

And keep your receipts so you can write it off.

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Classes in what, if I may ask?

Second City Classes (http://www.secondcity.com/?id=training-education/training/chicago), just to meet some people, have some fun, try to learn something. :tu

JoePublic
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Second City Classes (http://www.secondcity.com/?id=training-education/training/chicago), just to meet some people, have some fun, try to learn something. :tu

WTF!? Has the "Mouse" bug bit ya?

spurschick
07-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Wow, that's awesome! You'll have a blast! I'm sure that those in the group will show you around, get you drunk, etc. :drunk

SWC Bonfire
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Maybe they'll teach you the Farley "fall down on the table" move. :lol

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Maybe they'll teach you the Farley "fall down on the table" move. :lol

It would be an honor. :tu

Kori Ellis
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM

That's cool. When is your trip?

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Do not miss their performance of Saturday In The Park. It's a classic.

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
i leave on the 7th, back on the 20th. :tu

i checked the cubs sched and there is a monday night vs cinci and sat/sun games vs st louis. i should sit in the outfield stands right? i heard that's where it gets rowdy??

Solid D
07-27-2005, 01:15 PM
The Cubs/Cardinals games might be a tough ticket to come by...just a guess.

JoePublic
07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
i leave on the 7th, back on the 20th. :tu

i checked the cubs sched and there is a monday night vs cinci and sat/sun games vs st louis. i should sit in the outfield stands right? i heard that's where it gets rowdy??

You got it bro. The outfield bleachers is the place to really enjoy the Cubbies.

Oh, and you know they have lovely Cub fans out in the bleachers.

jalbre6
07-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Old Style and 'dogs at Wrigley. I'm jealous.

Jekka
07-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Probably not your thing, but if you get bored enough to check out some art, the Chicago Art Institute downtown really is a great museum.

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Probably not your thing, but if you get bored enough to check out some art, the Chicago Art Institute downtown really is a great museum.

i can appreciate anything stoned. i may very well check it out, thanks. :smokin

Jimcs50
07-27-2005, 01:34 PM
That's cool. When is your trip?

August 7th?

Classes start on the 1st.

nevermind...I see some start on the 8th.

angel_luv
07-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Your trip sounds really great! I hope you have a wonderful time! = )

mouse
07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
let me know if you see a silver 1977 toyota celica with 82nd airborn patch glued to the rear bumper, Tell the owner you know why the gas tank only holds 6 dollars worth of gas, :smokin

Make sure you try a Chicago red hot and a dripping wet Italion beef sandwich.
go to Rush street and party at mothers, it's underground and you might run into some Bears players having a late night drink, I ran into Singleton back in the 80s,

If you see any Gangs make sure your hand signs are Forks down, The latin Kings will have your back. tell them your an old friend of Blue eyes, make sure you eat some of the food in the latin side of town around Armitage st, Those Ricans know how to make a mean pork chop, Sorry brah, but your going to have to leave your south beach diet at home :smokin

Do me a favor and bring back a news paper that has all the comedy clubs, back in 1985 I counted at least 15 clubs and bars that have open mics, hell even san antonio had 5 clubs doing comedy back in the 80s

make sure you take pictures so we know your not really at Brat Camp somewhere.

Shelly
07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Do not miss their performance of Saturday In The Park. It's a classic.

Did you think it was the 4th of July or something????

hunter-thereckoning
07-27-2005, 01:39 PM
pimpo always talks mess about chicago

samikeyp
07-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Zak....just talked to a co-worker who is from Chicago...she says Giordano's is actually better than Geno's East for Chicago style pizza. She says that Geno's has become more touristy and the local prefer Giordano's. Enjoy.

mouse
07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Trust me this man knows his Food ^ :smokin

tsb2000
07-27-2005, 01:44 PM
If you can get a ticket to the Cubs / Cards game, it's a must! The NFL preseason will be going on in August, you should check to see if you could get into a Bears game at Soldier Field. Also, try to get over to Lou Malnati's Pizza (http://www.loumalnatis.com/). They're all over Chicago. It is the best pizza anywhere! :)

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
that's alot of pizza to try. i'll just have to be brave and try them all...a couple times...just to be sure.

mouse
07-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Just make sure you remember your roots :lmao

http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/BigSnack-Rules.jpg

samikeyp
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Trust me this man knows his Food

true...I never met a pizza I didn't like. :)

Guru of Nothing
07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
If you get wasted and somehow find yourself near the Wisconsin state line (near Kenosha) check out The Brat Stop (http://www.bratstop.com/live_music/event_schedule.htm).

It's a live music venue, and a cheese and bratwurst shop. Many times I loaded up on beer and got reeled into the brat and cheese shop by the free samples they offered on the way out the door. Used to tick my friend off when he'd find a strange package of meat under the seat of his truck a week or two later.

mouse
07-27-2005, 11:49 PM
^ RACK!

Hey BigSnack? how do we know your going to Chicago and not some sort of Fat farm?

will you take pictures?

Charlie
09-22-2005, 03:38 AM
No Pictures?

Triumph
09-22-2005, 03:59 AM
No Pictures?

okay, okay...i have the cd's in san antonio, i'll have my mother in law send them over and i'll upload and share...:tu gimme a few days...