PDA

View Full Version : North Texas drivers asked for blood and saliva at FWPD roadblock

Winehole23
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Some drivers along a busy Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at a police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.

It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.

"It just doesn't seem right that you can be forced off the road when you're not doing anything wrong," said Kim Cope, who said she was on her lunch break when she was forced to pull over at the roadblock on Beach Street in North Fort Worth.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is spending $7.9 million on the survey over three years, said participation was "100 percent voluntary" and anonymous.
But Cope said it didn't feel voluntary to her -- despite signs saying it was.

"I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.
Once parked, she couldn't believe what she was asked next.

"They were asking for cheek swabs," she said. "They would give $10 for that. Also, if you let them take your blood, they would pay you $50 for that."

At the very least, she said, they wanted to test her breath for alcohol.

She said she felt trapped.

"I finally did the Breathalyzer test just because I thought that would be the easiest way to leave," she said, adding she received no money.
Fort Worth police earlier said they could not immediately find any record of officer involvement but police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Peel said Tuesday that the department's Traffic Division coordinated with the NHTSA on the use of off-duty officers after the agency asked for help with the survey.http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/North-Texas-Drivers-Stopped-at-Roadblock-Asked-for-Saliva-Blood-232438621.html

boutons_deux
11-20-2013, 12:55 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219383&p=6956455&viewfull=1#post6956455

Blake
11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
So even though they were offering to pay, it didn't feel voluntary?

were any arrests made?

TSA
11-20-2013, 01:11 PM

were any arrests made?

"I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.

Does that sound very voluntary?

Winehole23
11-20-2013, 01:52 PM

were any arrests made?doesn't matter. the roadblock was inappropriate, even more so if drivers were subsequently targeted for enforcement.

boutons_deux
11-20-2013, 02:10 PM
did anybody see what would have happened if a forcibly pulled over driver refused to participate?

btw, I'm pretty sure the cops had a license plate camera running all the time.

The Reckoning
11-20-2013, 03:38 PM
there are routine breathalyzer checkpoints in Australia where they wave every vehicle off the road. granted there are far less vehicles, but i've grown used to it.

sucks that they do it on sunday mornings to catch people who are hungover. that's pretty stupid.

Blake
11-20-2013, 03:40 PM
doesn't matter. the roadblock was inappropriate, even more so if drivers were subsequently targeted for enforcement.

I was just curious.

Here's an update:

Fort Worth police earlier said they could not immediately find any record of officer involvement but police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Peel said Tuesday that the department's Traffic Division coordinated with the NHTSA on the use of off-duty officers after the agency asked for help with the survey."We are reviewing the actions of all police personnel involved to ensure that FWPD policies and procedures were followed," he said. "We apologize if any of our drivers and citizens were offended or inconvenienced by the NHTSA National Roadside Survey."NBC DFW confirmed that the survey was done by a government contractor, the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, which is based in Calverton, Md.A company spokeswoman referred questions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.An agency spokeswoman sent an email confirming the government is conducting the surveys in 30 cities across the country in an effort to reduce impaired-driving accidents.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/North-Texas-Drivers-Stopped-at-Roadblock-Asked-for-Saliva-Blood-232438621.html

yeah, it sounds more like a few off duty dumbass cops instead of a slick police department trap.

That chick still might have grounds for a lawsuit.

Blake
11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
there are routine breathalyzer checkpoints in Australia where they wave every vehicle off the road. granted there are far less vehicles, but i've grown used to it.

sucks that they do it on sunday mornings to catch people who are hungover. that's pretty stupid.

They do it in San Antonio too.

Blake
11-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Does that sound very voluntary?

The test was voluntary, stupid.

Getting pulled over is a different matter.

angrydude
11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
It's an unlawful stop, they need probable cause to do that, that's all that matters.

I'm sure the govt would say it was just consensual and that the people could leave at any time. But all you got to do is look at New Mexico shooting to know what will happen if you try that when the police pull you over.

TSA
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
The test was voluntary, stupid.

Getting pulled over is a different matter.

Pulled over on what legal grounds?

scott
11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
They do it in San Antonio too.

Huh? Never heard of a Sobriety Checkpoint in San Antonio, and my understanding is that Texas' interpretation of the US Constitution makes these checkpoints illegal.

Blake
11-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Huh? Never heard of a Sobriety Checkpoint in San Antonio, and my understanding is that Texas' interpretation of the US Constitution makes these checkpoints illegal.

Ah yeah, you're right.

SAPD Deputy chief recently went to state legislature asking for permanent dwi checkpoints.

Blake
11-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Pulled over on what legal grounds?

that's the question

m>s
11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
fucking commies

Capt Bringdown
11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Drug tests by the state, a big no-no.
But if employers demand that you piss in a cup, is this also a baddie in libertarian-land?

Just wondering, for it seems that libertarians concern for freedom and personal liberty typically don't extend to the workplace.

m>s
11-20-2013, 07:59 PM
the idea is that you choose to work for that employer, if you don't want to be drug tested you don't have to work there. it's not a constitutionally enumerated right to work at a particular employer, the right to travel without restriction however is.

Capt Bringdown
11-20-2013, 10:39 PM
the idea is that you choose to work for that employer, if you don't want to be drug tested you don't have to work there. it's not a constitutionally enumerated right to work at a particular employer, the right to travel without restriction however is.

Ahh yes, the idea of bourgeois "freedom."

m>s
11-20-2013, 10:59 PM
i'm not debating one side or the other i'm explaining the idea to you since you asked the question

Jacob1983
11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Where are Obama loving liberal koolaid drinkers on this shit? This shit is happening under Barry's watch.

Biernutz
11-21-2013, 01:27 AM
NSA reading your E-Mails and listing to your phone calls.
EPA wanting catalytic converters on your B-B-Q pits.
NHTSA road blocks to collect DNA samples for a data base for future fishing trips.
What is next, cholesterol roadblocks to see if you had a bacon cheeseburger for lunch.
Yup! this is the transparency they talked about ......
I feel safe now.....Nanny is in the house
move on nothing to see here....move on...move on

Nbadan
11-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Where are Obama loving liberal koolaid drinkers on this shit? This shit is happening under Barry's watch.

Actually, its happening under Governor Goodhairs watch...but that doesn't make the punditry...

Biernutz
11-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Actually, its happening under Governor Goodhairs watch...but that doesn't make the punditry...

Is the NHTSA run by the state of Texas? Last time I look it
was the Feds. It was a DWI survey on Friday at lunch time?
By a NHTSA contractor with Police departments not knowing
anything about this?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/news/local/Some-North-Texas-Drivers-Stopped-at-Roadblock-Asked-for-DNA/232447441

Jacob1983
11-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Obama is the president. It's his fault. Blame him now.

Nbadan
11-21-2013, 02:16 AM
NHTSA contractor

Thanks Obama

:lol

Biernutz
11-21-2013, 02:22 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/19842.jpeg

ErnestLynch
11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
But if it takes JUST ONE drunk driver off the road it's all worth it. Right ?

Winehole23
11-23-2013, 03:00 AM
But if it takes JUST ONE drunk driver off the road it's all worth it. Right ?you've got it backwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone%27s_formulation

boutons_deux
11-23-2013, 09:58 AM
But if it takes JUST ONE drunk driver off the road it's all worth it. Right ?

yes, but your hypothetical is worthless.

More practically, 0.05 with arrest and license suspension for FIRST violation as federal law would instill appropriate climate of fear (including what arrest and license suspension would do to recurring auto insurance costs), dissuasion, and save 1000s of lives/year.

btw, while mentioning climate of fear, on the average day of 5-day work week, 22 people received fatal injuries on the job in 2012. America is still the fricking primitive Wild West.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cftb0268.pdf

mouse
11-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I actually have no problem giving cops anything they ask for. Hell I am willing to even take a dump in a cup if needed.

Some of you act like your email,phone calls,and DNA is so private. Face it times are changing soon babies born will have all the info already downloaded in a massive computer along with the three tracking devices that are secretly implanted.

Stop worrying about what you can't stop..can you stop GMO's in your food? Can you stop the IRS from lancing your taint?

the answer is no.....so stop all the bitching and use your limited time and energy stock piling Ammo and ramen noodles.

KN4V6Tcr4zg