PDA

View Full Version : This season is all business.

TheyCallMePro
11-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Wow. This team is on a mission. Two big things that are standing out to me thus far:

1) Not just our 10-1 record, but how we got there. I feel like this team has played their guts out every single game this season. Even in the loss to Portland, the Spurs shot 52% and kept coming at them despite Portland shooting a sizzling 57% and playing with a ton of energy in their home opener. The Spurs tried VERY hard to win that game, and almost did, despite everything. I don't think this team ever wants to lose again. I think the Spurs have it in their minds that every loss will be just as painful as game 6 and 7 of the Finals were, which is why they're so determined to not lose this season. I feel like that Portland loss ripped their hearts out. Which is why the Spurs are on a 8 game winning streak right now. This team has become absolutely terrified of losing. Which is a good thing, and fulfilling their desire not to lose probably has a lot to do with my second observation...

2) Pop has already shrunk the rotation. Banes, Ayers, De Colo, Joseph, and Bonner are hardly playing at ALL. I've never seen a team set their playoff rotation so fast...but the Spurs have already done so. The Spurs second unit of Ginobili, Diaw, Mills, and Belli is all but locked in. As well as those guys play together, I can't see any changes being made to the second unit. To the point, the Spurs aren't messing around with playing players that won't be part of the rotation in the playoffs like they've done in previous years. They're all business. Even when the Spurs are up 20 points like they were in the 4th quarter against the Celtics tonight, the bench wasn't emptied until the very last minute of the game. In previous seasons, it would have been emptied at the start of the 4th quarter against such a hapless team. Not anymore. The guys at the end of the bench are never going to even sniff valuable playing time this season. The days of the Spurs gong 14-15 players deep are OVER. This team's only goals appear to be to A) Not lose (ever) And B) Not mess around.

With this mentality and focus, this can be a 70 win team. I think this is shaping up to be the Spurs best year ever. I've never seen this team look more business like, and for the Spurs that's saying something. In a season where half the teams in the NBA will be tanking, and where the Spurs are on a full-out crusade for vengeance with a loaded team full of veterans, this is going to be a fun and wild ride. The only way I can see it ending is with the Championship.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
11-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Agreed. But we always do good in the regular season. We need to be clutch in the finals. It may be Duncan and Ginobili's last run. We need them both to play well to win the title this year.

Arcadian
11-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Exactly... Losing a heartbreaking Finals can be good for a team (if they remain intact).

Are there any statistics on this? How often does a team lose Game 7 of the Finals and win the title the next year?

scanry
11-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Son it's still November.

The Dallas Mavericks started their 2006-07 reg season 0-4 and had a 17, 13, 12, 9, 8 win streak along the way.

Biernutz
11-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Pop is keeping everyone's minutes down, but I was surprised to see Tim,Tony,
Splitter in at the end of the game with a lead that big........He does seem to play
the 2nd team more minutes than I have ever seen. Pop usually tinkers
with the rotations till the rodeo road trip. Our bench is about as good as
I have ever seen it. All the Bonner haters, Pop dressed him down on the bench
after he pulled him out of the game tonight. I would say in was a grade 7 out of
10 pissed off

hyhy
11-21-2013, 03:09 AM
1) Not just our 10-1 record, but how we got there. I feel like this team has played their guts out every single game this season. Even in the loss to Portland, the Spurs shot 52% and kept coming at them despite Portland shooting a sizzling 57% and playing with a ton of energy in their home opener. The Spurs tried VERY hard to win that game, and almost did, despite everything. I don't think this team ever wants to lose again. I think the Spurs have it in their minds that every loss will be just as painful as game 6 and 7 of the Finals were, which is why they're so determined to not lose this season. I feel like that Portland loss ripped their hearts out. Which is why the Spurs are on a 8 game winning streak right now. This team has become absolutely terrified of losing. Which is a good thing, and fulfilling their desire not to lose probably has a lot to do with my second observation...

Seriously? They seem to me to be just coasting and trying out new things.

And our lead wasnt really safe today, thats why the starters were in. they were leading by 20 for like a min, then it became 11 the next min.

Sean Cagney
11-21-2013, 03:38 AM
Agreed. But we always do good in the regular season. We need to be clutch in the finals. It may be Duncan and Ginobili's last run. We need them both to play well to win the title this year.
Duncan did play out of his mind last year and did very good in the finals last year, so we need Ginobili to step up this time honestly. I hate to say that to you but he was the one absent last year not Tim in the finals but I agree. We need both to PLAY WELL, you are right.

Sean Cagney
11-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Son it's still November.

The Dallas Mavericks started their 2006-07 reg season 0-4 and had a 17, 13, 12, 9, 8 win streak along the way.
I agree, they flamed out in round one too, lets not GO THAT ROUTE... Lets just hope for health later and a higher seed, period.
Seriously? They seem to me to be just coasting and trying out new things.

And our lead wasnt really safe today, thats why the starters were in. they were leading by 20 for like a min, then it became 11 the next min.

They have not turned it up yet, nor nearly had to. I agree period.

HI-FI
11-21-2013, 03:41 AM
It's hard to believe we are 10-1. The team seems bored and discombobulated at times, like they want to fast forward to the playoffs, or maybe that's my own mindset. It's like they are doing rope a dope with teams, and then just turning it on towards the end and knocking them out. Strange and interesting season so far.

ezau
11-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Spurs are winning even though it seems like they're just trolling teams for two to three quarters.

sexinthatsx
11-21-2013, 04:10 AM
It's hard to believe we are 10-1. The team seems bored and discombobulated at times, like they want to fast forward to the playoffs, or maybe that's my own mindset. It's like they are doing rope a dope with teams, and then just turning it on towards the end and knocking them out. Strange and interesting season so far.

Pop is just trying out rotations like he does every season, except he started tinkering early this season as opposed to previous seasons where he tinkered towards the middle of the season.

SpursFan86
11-21-2013, 04:39 AM
Exactly... Losing a heartbreaking Finals can be good for a team (if they remain intact).

Are there any statistics on this? How often does a team lose Game 7 of the Finals and win the title the next year?

One instance that specifically comes to mind is the Bad Boys Pistons. They lost in 7 games to the Showtime Lakers in '88, and then the following year they swept the Lakers.

Although that was a bit different. The Pistons were pretty young, while the Lakers were wearing down after their run of dominance in the '80s. Also, Magic Johnson got injured in Game 2 and ended up missing the rest of the series.

Maybe LeBron will get injured and we'll sweep the Heat in the Finals this year:lol

hyhy
11-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Spurs are winning even though it seems like they're just trolling teams for two to three quarters.

Yea, that exactly how it feels like. not "playing their guts out" every game

Proxy
11-21-2013, 05:15 AM
If I were to be as optimistic as possible, I'd say the team is successfully pacing themselves by design (hopefully).A lot of these games have felt like the team plays down to their competition for three quarters. I wouldn't call that "playing their guts out." Strength of schedule is in the lower half thus far. How much can anyone take from the first 11 games of the regular season though.

10-1 is a great start for the top seed, so that's nice.

Baam
11-21-2013, 06:28 AM
We played several tanking teams, Philly, Utah, Boston,... Let's not get too excited just yet especially with the Duncan situation being what it is...

racm
11-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Spurs aren't playing their best ball but they can go into playoff gear for one quarter to win.

tbh I want this team to look more like the 2001 Lakers than the 2007 Mavs.

TampaDude
11-21-2013, 08:10 AM
The Spurs will win another :lobt2: this season. Book it.

wildcardX
11-21-2013, 08:51 AM
The season is still young and the Spurs have not played any of the top teams other than Portland and Golden State(without Curry). There's still a lot of work to be done but I guess that goes for every team. We will see where they stand once they've played OKC, Clips, Pacers, Rockets, and Heat.

SpursIndonesia
11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
IMHO, with home court advantage, LOB trophy was ours last year, and the team know it ....

rascal
11-21-2013, 09:52 AM

You booked a title last year so stop it.

philldafunk
11-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I think they want to just skip to the finals, and I don't blame them. Nobody in the West is fucking with us, so where's the motivation? Barring any major injuries :knocks on wood: we will be back in the finals.

Russ
11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Two little words -- Home Court Advantage (okay three).

They had it in '05 and won for that reason. They did not have it last year and lost. Simple as that.

This team needs it to go all the way and that's the way they're playing.

Blue Duck
11-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Duncan needs to go to the foul line, allot. That's the best way to get your touch/ rhythm back. Also, please bring back that beautiful, unstoppable, bank shot at the elbow (1997-2004). That's your shot, man!!!!!!! Has any other player ever just completely abandoned their " signature" shot this way???? Frustrating. Go Spurs

TDomination
11-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Two little words -- Home Court Advantage (okay three).

They had it in '05 and won for that reason. They did not have it last year and lost. Simple as that.

This team needs it to go all the way and that's the way they're playing.

Bingo!

If we had game 7 on our home court last year against the Heat, we win. Plain and simple. Two evenly matched teams decided by homecourt. We need that home court and spurs players know it. Manu knew it going into the Finals last year saying he really wished they had homecourt.

We need every win we can get, no matter how ugly. This team can win it all this year, they just need to be healthy.

rascal
11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Just beating up on all the teams they should, weak sisters of the league. People still get excited about the regular season?

DesertSpur50
11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Just beating up on all the teams they should, weak sisters of the league. People still get excited about the regular season?

I guess you'd rather not have a season at all? Yeah, cause that's real exciting.:rolleyes

Dex
11-21-2013, 06:04 PM

I've noticed the same thing. It's like the Spurs will look mediocre for most of the game, but still keep wraps on their opponent. Then, they'll go on one or two little streaks, and next thing you know the game is well in hand.

11-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I've noticed the same thing. It's like the Spurs will look mediocre for most of the game, but still keep wraps on their opponent. Then, they'll go on one or two little streaks, and next thing you know the game is well in hand.
Hopefully it's just a coasting thing. Going against a competent team, they need to play well for at least three quarters, not just a few outbursts of greatness

BatManu20
11-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Not if we play Miami again, who I think comes out of the East. If we play another team and we're healthy, I like our chances. But Duncan has to start playing better if we're going to get there. Long season ahead.

racm
11-21-2013, 08:18 PM

The only other teams I've seen do this are OKC, Indiana, and Miami.

Arcadian
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
OK, so on the one hand, yes we have played shitty teams.

On the other hand, if there are this many shitty teams in the NBA, what does that say?

I mean, for fuck's sake, there are only three or four teams that have any chance at the title this year.

:lol Diluted fucking league

:lol Not complaining because my team is in the top tier

Kool Bob Love
11-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Good write up.

10-1 is okay tho. Nothing to be happy about. 10-1 to start the playoffs this year would make me Jizz.

Enjoying the ride tho.:toast

racm
11-21-2013, 10:37 PM
But we would better if we played Leonard 40 mpg.

Southwest Texas Fan
11-21-2013, 11:12 PM
But we would better if we played Leonard 40 mpg.

I wonder why he isn't logging in heavier minutes?

DesignatedT
11-21-2013, 11:59 PM
It really does feel like the team has a chip on their shoulder. Nobody seems to be having fun out there :lol Very little smiles this season. All business.

KL2
11-22-2013, 12:08 AM
It's too bad Duncan looks done, SA isn't winning anything without him playing like he did last year. I doubt SA even gets out the west.

TrainOfThought5
11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Our bench is about as good as
I have ever seen it. All the Bonner haters, Pop dressed him down on the bench

after he pulled him out of the game tonight. I would say in was a grade 7 out of
10 pissed off

tell me MOAR!!!

ElNono
11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Looking good, but the impending gnsf meltdown over a loss is inevitable, tbh

mclinejr
11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
They're winning games, which is all we can really ask for right now. I have a feeling Memphis is going to give us a good run for our money tonight, though.

The_Coyote
11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
OK, so on the one hand, yes we have played shitty teams.

On the other hand, if there are this many shitty teams in the NBA, what does that say?

I mean, for fuck's sake, there are only three or four teams that have any chance at the title this year.

:lol Diluted fucking league

:lol Not complaining because my team is in the top tier

Is it truly diluted because of the "Big Three in a Big Market" thing that's been all the rage since Allen, Garnett, and Pierce took their talents to Boston? Or is it just a factor of the retardedness of 75% of NBA GMs and owners? I mean, there are more talented athletes in the NBA than in any time in its history, but it seems like all but six or seven teams know how to put the right pieces together.

Regardless I'd have to agree with you about the amount of shitty teams in the NBA lowering the overall competition. I just wouldn't attribute it to shitty players.

hater
11-22-2013, 03:03 PM
oh they will hit a wall sooner of later

It's all mental with the Spurs this season. they are just still in shock from the biggest collapse in human history. The only one who is dealing with the grief is Duncan at the moment. He has a psych major and will be the first one to fully get over it. The rest of the Spurs including Pop will eventually come to the realization of the magnitude of the collapse and lose it.

this team if healthy has the tools to go back to the Finals. It's all mental for them this season.

Arcadian
11-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Is it truly diluted because of the "Big Three in a Big Market" thing that's been all the rage since Allen, Garnett, and Pierce took their talents to Boston? Or is it just a factor of the retardedness of 75% of NBA GMs and owners? I mean, there are more talented athletes in the NBA than in any time in its history, but it seems like all but six or seven teams know how to put the right pieces together.

Regardless I'd have to agree with you about the amount of shitty teams in the NBA lowering the overall competition. I just wouldn't attribute it to shitty players.

Right, I was talking about shitty teams, not shitty players.

As for why it is this way? Probably because all the best players want to play together, so the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Just like the global economy. Instead of the 1% ruling class of the economy, we're talking about a few basketball teams as the ruling class of the NBA. I guess it's just some fucked up aspect of human sociology.

But yeah, having smarter GMs couldn't hurt.

Brutalis
11-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Without reading all the replies we haven't exactly had the toughest schedule to start. Also, it appears we play to the level of our competition then go on a run late in the game and close teams out. Not complaining but then again I see a lot of room for improvement.

Kawhi is playing great. Spurs fans have put too much pressure on him to score this season but he does so many things that doesn't register in the box score. How he alters shots and forces teams to adjust to his aggressiveness is working out well for us.

I believe the Spurs are "all business" every year... this franchise doesn't operate with any other plan than a championship year end and year out. It's not just cause we choked the Finals over the summer.

TheyCallMePro
09-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Bump for my genius take this past November.

Obstructed_View
09-26-2014, 07:11 PM
I really thought "All Business" was going to be a good nickname for Kawhi. I really hope "sugar K" doesn't stick.

buttsR4rebounding
09-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I really thought "All Business" was going to be a good nickname for Kawhi. I really hope "sugar K" doesn't stick.

I'm not a fan either, but I saw an interview when he was asked about he said something to the effect that it was better than The Claw or The Hand. Sugar K actually is the type of nickname that would appeal to the masses. And since Shaq claims creation he'll always be pushing KL on the tube. Good for things like All-Star appearances and yearend awards (on the margin).