PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts - Spurs vs. Celtics

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Game at a Glance
Facing a young Celtics team that was coming off of a blowout loss to Houston, the Spurs were noticeably spry to begin the game. After a long rest following the Utah game, it looked as if the time off allowed for renewed focus on defense and offensive execution for the Starting Five…it was short-lived. Once again, the bench unit was called on to gain separation, and once again they delivered.
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/box4.jpg

Player & Coach Grades

---------------
Tony Parker
http://www.spurstalk.com/tp12.png
From his first touch of the ball, Tony was looking to get the offense moving. After a few nice feeds to Timmy, and Tiago in the paint, Parker then switched to going to work on Avery Bradley with mixed results in the 1st quarter. After reentering the game in the 2nd, TP found his groove. Whether he was running off of picks or slashing to the basket, Tony was too much for the Celtics’ lockdown defender to handle and it set the tone for the rest of the evening. On defense, the night was a mixed bag but after letting Bradley knocked down a few open jump shots in the first half, adjustments were made and it was smooth sailing after.
Final Grade: A

---------------
Tim Duncan
http://www.spurstalk.com/td12.png
The Big Fundamental opened the game with a thunderous dunk and a 4-0 run, and after that not too much else. For a minute there I let myself think “This is the night he breaks the slump” but it was wishful thinking. At this point, I’m beating a dead horse by talking about his struggles on both ends of the court. On defense, Tim contributed mightily to Jared Sullingers 19-17 game after letting Derrick Favors post a similar stat line. Noticeably frustrated by his struggles, and sporting a fresh black eye, Timmy plodded his way to another bad night while having trouble finishing at the rim and hitting open jump shots. The good news? His jump shots are now clanking off of the back of the rim now that his lift is a bit improved.
Final Grade: C-

---------------
Tiago Splitter
http://www.spurstalk.com/ts12.png
Tiago Splitter posted yet another solid performance. The aspect of his game sticking out most right now ,is his confidence in moving through the offense and finding the ball in the spots he wants it. Nice finishes around the basket, a few more excellent passes on the interior, and of course the wall he is throwing up in the paint when on defense.

---------------
Kawhi Leonard
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/kl.png
Kawhi Leonard may have stuffed the stat sheet, but he is still not playing his best basketball. Once again he came out lacking fire on the Defensive side of the ball, and found himself repeatedly one step behind Jeff Green. In the first half, he had three chances to put the ball on the floor or handle it in the open court, and all three times ended in near turnovers as he almost traveled once, had to force up a bad shot on the other, and throw a desperation pass to get out of the last. For the first time in his young career, he was noticeably upset with the officiating and allowed it to show in his play. After Pop took him out and presumably chastised him, The Hand showed up in the 2nd half and destroyed the Celtics on offense with his 3pt stroke and penetration, and caused all kinds of havoc on defense with his long arms and hustle in the passing lanes. I suspect we'll see a consistent upswing in effort over the next week as the Spurs take on the rival Grizzlies and Thunder.
Final Grade: B

---------------
Danny Green
http://www.spurstalk.com/dg12.png
Much like Kawhi, Danny Green had a largely uninspiring first half, only to come in and light it up in the 2nd half. Danny's 3's helped spark the run that put the game out of reach for Boston and had no hesitation when the ball found his hands. You'd like to see him hold the likes of Jordan Crawford to a few less points, but his offense made up for his shortcomings on D.
Final Grade: B-

---------------
Manu Ginobili
http://www.spurstalk.com/mg12.png
Leading the 2nd unit in the fight to inject energy and effort into the game, Manu was the ultimate floor general. His two-man game with Boris Diaw is something to behold right now. I've been watching the Spurs for a long time, and I can't remember two guys with such a feel for one another that produced plays as exciting as these two have over the first couple of weeks to start to season. Manu also managed a couple of vintage finishes at the rim, one of which he went through 3 Celtic defenders and David Blained the ball around Jeff Green. His drives to the basket were going so well, that he only had to shoot one 3, and the way this season has gone from downtown for Manu, that was great to see.
Final Grade: B+

---------------
Boris Diaw
http://www.spurstalk.com/bd12.png
The rise of Boris Diaw continues. There isn't much more you can say about his game right now that hasn't been said over the last couple of weeks. He continues to pound the ball inside on smaller defenders, and put on a Mimi-Hakeem show when a bigger guy is hounding him in the post. His shot is on from every spot of the floor, and his work with Ginobili is worth the price of admission...or League Pass, whichever. Boris was a little loose with the ball, but overall he was solid once again. If Tim Duncan isn't able to find his groove by April (I'm 50/50 on this) I am all for moving Boris into the starting lineup and seeing how things work out.
Final Grade: B+

---------------
Marco Belinelli
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/mb.png
Marco didn't get a ton of run last night, but in his 17 minutes he managed to produce a quick 9 points on 4-7 shooting. He is almost perfect this year when shooting after coming off of a screen, and you can almost guarantee the ball is dropping before it leaves his hand.

---------------
Patrick Mills
http://www.spurstalk.com/pm12.png
Patty has been much better in directing his energy on both ends of the floor this year, but last night not so much. He checked into the game at a point when the Celtics defense was being gashed by the Spurs passing and penetration, and bailed the Celtic D out with forced jump shots from the outside early in the clock. He pestered the Celtics with his defense, but found himself lost on a few possessions and didn't contribute much on either end of the floor, other than a couple of missed corner 3s. He'll bounce back
Final Grade: C-

---------------
Jeff Ayres
In limited action, Jef Ayres checked in and got to work contesting shots. In 8 minutes, he was able to force 3 Boston misses at the hoop and one very ugly jumper of his own from the wing. He's made one shot from outside of 5 feet this year, and looking at his shooting form, I have no hope for that to improve this year.
Final Grade: C+

---------------
Matt Bonner
The Red Mamba returned to action and looked surprisingly spry running around the floor. His rhythm was a little off from deep, but he did make his last attempt. Going forward, he is more than likely to take the majority of Ayres' minutes.
Final Grade: INC

---------------
The Garbage Time Team
I was going to delete this section since only Cory Joseph got any action, and it was for only 1 minute. Cory Joseph changed my mind with his play during that one minute. Whether he is trying to impress Pop or rack up some numbers in the box score, the results have been comical this year. Joseph entered the game with time winding down and managed to fall down again going to the bucket, and almost cause a backcourt violation when he inexplicably refused to pass the ball to three wide open teammates. Let us pray that Mills is able to stay healthy for the full year.

---------------
Pop
http://www.spurstalk.com/gp12.png
Pop seems to have come to the realization that to this point in the season, yanking the starters is the only way to bring life to the offense. He wasted no time getting the bench unit into the game when things started to bog down and stagnate with the first team in, and once again the bench came through with a great performance. I never thought I would say it, but I was glad Matt Bonner was able to log some minutes and improve the spacing on the floor once Ayres went to the bench.

---------------
Offense
After a troublesome 1st quarter, the team found its rhythm and began to pick apart the inexperienced Celtics with crisp passing and excellent drives to the hoop. Splitter, Diaw, Parker and Ginobili made their living in the paint last night, and it paid off in the 2nd half with the team catching fire from deep and burying the Celtics with a barrage from beyond the arc led by Danny Green. Duncan had another horrendous night from the field, but it appears he is tinkering with his jump shot and release point, hopefully it begins to pay off and the team can really hit their stride to open games.
Final Grade: B-

---------------
Defense
After a Utah game that saw the Jazz front line keep things close because of their work inside, the Celtics used Jared Sullinger to attack Tim Duncan and keep the game close in the first half. When Spurs defenders attempted to help Duncan out, they were punished by Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, and Jeff Green draining open shots and keeping the Celtics in it until the half. Once play resumed in the 3rd quarter, Leonard and Green came out of the locker room determined to make the Celtics work and effort paid off. Leonard's active hands were contagious and the Spurs forced the Celtics into 17 turnovers on the night, most of which resulted in easy fast break points and another game decided well before the final buzzer sounded. The Spurs, especially Tim Duncan, will get a bigger challenge inside when they face Marc Gasol and Randolph in the next game.
Final Grade: B

I'm going to miss the next couple of games since I will be out of town, so I hope somebody else can throw something together so I don't miss out on too much!

spurs10
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks Mr. Fajitas!

Brazil
11-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks taco for the writting, overall solid thoughts.

Regarding Tim, I noticed people saying Tim struggles just on O, he is coasting etc... but for me he is, as pointed out in the write-up, struggling on both end of the floor. On D it is obviously less visible but it remains concerning, his P&R defense in particular seems too significantly worst than last year.

Too soon to draw any conclusion but concern is clear, let's hope his chest trouble is explaining good part of it.

Spur|n|Austin
11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Solid write up again, thanks TacoC :tu

Budkin
11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Ok I'm about ready to wave the white flag on Ayres. I've been trying to give him time, but he's just not a good player. At all.

spurspokesman
11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Good thoughts, I'm digging the revamped version of Diaw. He always had it

Baam
11-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the read. I'm watching the game right now and Manu looks good maybe even better than his grade but man Tim looks like a scrub, I can't believe it... His main weapon is bailout calls at this point...

will_spurs
11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Tim's jump shot is really not falling. After the dunk everybody was hyped, and you could hear everybody catching their breath when he attempted his first jump shot only to sound like an arena-sized deflated balloon when it clanked off the rim again. And yes, young & athletic centers are destroying him on D. I was also surprised to see Tim on the floor during most of the 4th, when the game was already out of reach, especially knowing that Diaw could easily have replaced him. Not sure what was going on or why Pop kept him in the game.

Splitter's rebounding has really improved, especially defensive rebounding. I noticed that the opponents seem to have noticed that the Spurs are lethal in the fast break, and tend to fall back on D quicker than they maybe used to. This eases up the situation for defensive rebounding.

Diaw is just great right now. I really hope he plays the same in the playoffs.

Manu seems out of his funk, more in control. Hopefully this stays the same as well.

And the 2nd half version of Kawhi, especially at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, makes me think Pop is holding him back.

EVAY
11-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I agree with most of the reactions so far, including the concern with Tim. Sullinger really really made him look bad too often last night, and his (Tim's) frustration with his shot not falling is contributing to the technicals he is getting. I don't know what it is that is going on with him, but it really needs to get fixed fast. He is not coasting. He is frustrated. Hopefully the coaching staff can put something together.

I agree with will_spurs that the next game will be a much tougher test for the Spurs. Right now I'd have to say that we won't beat them if Tim continues to play like he has been.

Finally, I was also perplexed when Tim played in the fourth while Tony sat. It is almost as though Pop is hoping that if he just plays enough, he will get himself out of his funk. Hasn't worked so far, obviously.

heyheymymy
11-21-2013, 05:31 PM
And the 2nd half version of Kawhi, especially at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, makes me think Pop is holding him back.

you mean like pop is only giving an unfettered green light to kawhi in certain situations, ie the 3rd Q last night? because i could see that being the case.

DMC
11-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Is 4-0 really a "run"?

DMC
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
We are once again feasting on shitty teams and teams playing shitty basketball. The fact that the Celts hung with us for most of the night last night is a testament to the fact that we aren't playing great. Tim needs PEDs or something.

11-21-2013, 06:44 PM
you mean like pop is only giving an unfettered green light to kawhi in certain situations, ie the 3rd Q last night? because i could see that being the case.
He went off in the third quarter of another game too. Maybe he's fired up after halftime.

Kyuui-Musikq
11-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Tim's jump shot is really not falling. After the dunk everybody was hyped, and you could hear everybody catching their breath when he attempted his first jump shot only to sound like an arena-sized deflated balloon when it clanked off the rim again. And yes, young & athletic centers are destroying him on D. I was also surprised to see Tim on the floor during most of the 4th, when the game was already out of reach, especially knowing that Diaw could easily have replaced him. Not sure what was going on or why Pop kept him in the game.

I agree with most of the reactions so far, including the concern with Tim. Sullinger really really made him look bad too often last night, and his (Tim's) frustration with his shot not falling is contributing to the technicals he is getting. I don't know what it is that is going on with him, but it really needs to get fixed fast. He is not coasting. He is frustrated. Hopefully the coaching staff can put something together.

I agree with will_spurs that the next game will be a much tougher test for the Spurs. Right now I'd have to say that we won't beat them if Tim continues to play like he has been.

Finally, I was also perplexed when Tim played in the fourth while Tony sat. It is almost as though Pop is hoping that if he just plays enough, he will get himself out of his funk. Hasn't worked so far, obviously.

Tim's offensive game when he's not knocking down the 15-20 footer is pretty one dimensional. I think him playing in odd segments of the game is just a strategy right now for him to work out some quirks that his game is suffering from. At this point I think it might be purely mental. With all the things that are going on in his personal life it's bound to seep into himself on the court.

will_spurs
11-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Either Pop asks Kawhi to be more assertive and aggressive all the time, and Kawhi doesn't do it because he has the Diaw-syndrome; or it's the reverse.

Jordanobili2320
11-22-2013, 09:18 AM
solid write up, thanks!

Prime Time
11-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok I'm about ready to wave the white flag on Ayres. I've been trying to give him time, but he's just not a good player. At all.
:nope We're 11 games into the season. Ayers has shown he's capable of being a solid role player, and he has all the techniques that every Spur requires to make an impact - mid-range shooting, hustle, and length. Spurs were obviously interested in him for a reason.

But he is what he is. A 4-year Power Forward who just signed with the most complex system/coach of all basketball. Surely it's a little too early to claim him useless.

Also.. what's with all the fear on ST? We're 10-1 despite half of our players coasting. Imagine once they start playing with a playoff mindset.

DBMethos
11-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Nice writeup.

With the way he's going, would it be possible for Boris to win Most Improved Player...again?

will_spurs
11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
:nope We're 11 games into the season. Ayers has shown he's capable of being a solid role player, and he has all the techniques that every Spur requires to make an impact - mid-range shooting, hustle, and length. Spurs were obviously interested in him for a reason.

If you think Ayres is a decent mid-range shooter then we haven't been watching the same games. I'm not even sure he scored one basket from farther than 3ft this year.

Actually, let's check...

http://i.imgur.com/ZbKZLNl.png

Prime Time
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
If you think Ayres is a decent mid-range shooter then we haven't been watching the same games. I'm not even sure he scored one basket from farther than 3ft this year.

Actually, let's check...

http://i.imgur.com/ZbKZLNl.png
Well yeah, he's not shooting well this year. Neither is Tim Duncan, and we all know he's a good jumpshooter.

Not saying Ayers is ANYTHING near Duncan (Obviously) but he has shown a nice touch around there from a past. It's a bit pre-mature to act like he's a failed project.... 12 games into the season lol

If he sucks around January/February, then alright I'll bite.

will_spurs
11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not saying Ayres is a failed project. He seems to be learning his place and contributing well, be it screens, dunks, assists. But a good mid-range shooter he is not, at least this season.

mrjap2x
11-23-2013, 08:01 AM
What happened to Cory Joseph?

He had a very good summer with Team Canada, so I'm surprised he is that bad now.

Rogue
11-23-2013, 09:13 AM
The Spurs, especially Tim Duncan, will get a bigger challenge inside when they face Marc Gasol and Randolph in the next game.

good news is you won't face the big inside challenge of Marc Gasol next game since dude has torn his ACL, according to rumors downstairs. Good writing overall, insightful takes, but I think the author might be a bit too harsh on Duncan. Duncan is still the anchor of this team on both ends of the floor despite his statline. He's probably already saving for the playoffs and he has every reason to do so when the team is 11-1 in the regular season by far.

will_spurs
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
good news is you won't face the big inside challenge of Marc Gasol next game since dude has torn his ACL, according to rumors downstairs

Gasol tore his ACL against the Spurs...