PDA

View Full Version : Clippers ESPN: Where does CP3 rank among all-time NBA PGs?

Venti Quattro
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
1. Is Chris Paul the greatest point guard since Magic Johnson?

Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: I'll go further and say he's the greatest point guard since Oscar Robertson. Ring counters might disagree, but when you start examining Paul's numbers, they're outrageous. If his knees hold up and he can hang a red-and-blue banner in Staples Center, that will become more than just a minority view held by stat heads.

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: It's incredibly difficult to say with any certainty, but yes, with John Stockton having the greatest argument. When comparing numbers to Stockton, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Steve Nash and the like, it's not as obvious. But when you consider how complete Paul's game is, he has the best case.

Ramona Shelburne, ESPN Los Angeles: He could be, but it's hard to elevate him over guys like Jason Kidd and Steve Nash at this point in his career. I think Paul will tell you the same thing, too. Any discussion of his place in history ends rather quickly these days, as he's the first to point out he's never taken his team past the second round of the playoffs, and that's the only measure that matters. On pure ability and talent, I'd give CP3 the nod over Kidd and Nash, though.

Ethan Sherwood Strauss, TrueHoop: Yes, and more people would recognize this had Paul's early career happened almost anywhere besides the NBA Siberia that is New Orleans. He's actually never been the same since injuring his knee in 2010, and while Paul's not quite so quick as he was in the past, he remains the best point guard going by a comfortable margin. For some advanced stats backup, Paul actually boasts three seasons of better PER and more win shares than Magic's best.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Headed that direction for sure. He has emerged as the clear-cut best point guard in the game at a time when there are quality point guards almost everywhere you look, and he can change the game defensively. Even as the biggest Steve Nash devotee on the staff, I know my guy's limitations. CP3 has the whole package.

2. Will CP3 surpass Oscar Robertson in the all-time point guard rankings?

Arnovitz: There are few things harder in sports than juxtaposing the careers of two NBA point guards across historical eras. Robertson was 6-foot-5, while Paul is 6-foot-nuthin' in a much bigger league. Robertson led the league with a true shooting percentage of 55.5 percent as a rookie. Paul's 56.3 mark this season would be his lowest since his sophomore season. The demands of the position have changed, but if Paul can stay healthy and win in June, he could pass the Big O.

Gutierrez: No. Robertson had eye-popping numbers for his first nine seasons, including the incredible triple-double average (a healthy triple-double at that, with 30.8 points, 11.4 assists and 12.5 rebounds). When it comes to well-rounded players, not even CP3 can hang with that. And we don't even know what would've happened with a 3-point line.

Shelburne: Having grown up in Los Angeles when it seemed like every night Magic Johnson was either breaking one of Oscar's records or challenging it, I have an appreciation for the Big O that I think many younger folks don't. Supremely athletic at 6-5, 220 pounds, Robertson was the LeBron James of his era. He's the first and probably the last person to average a triple-double over the course of an entire season (1961-62). So honestly, I just can't elevate CP3 to that level yet.

Strauss: The public will probably never get behind that one. Robertson has such an advantage in that he played at a fast pace and branded "averaging a triple-double." I do believe that Paul will end up the better player, relative to the competition of his era.

Stein: I give him a chance, sure, since I'm a believer in the Kevin Garnett doctrine of "anything is possssssssibullllllll!" But I have to say that it does bug me that CP3's odds here would be boosted by the fact that so many of us never really saw the Big O. It's tough for Robertson to get his due from the fans of today and future generations because there's so little footage available to remind us how good he really was. It was gratifying to see the Big O end up No. 2 in our all-time point guard rankings in 2006, but let's be honest: How many voters had actually ever seen him? That was all done on numbers. We all have a fair idea of how Bob Cousy played, but it's a shame we can't say the same about the Big O.

3. Could CP3 surpass Magic Johnson as the No. 1 point guard of all time?

Arnovitz: His numbers already surpass Magic's at this juncture of their respective careers. The answer to this question hinges upon the value you place in hardware when evaluating careers.

Gutierrez: No, unless Paul brings three or four championships to Los Angeles. Among the many remarkable accomplishments in Magic's career, his shooting percentage stands out to me. Without much range, Magic didn't shoot lower than 52 percent in a season until his ninth year in the league. And with his career cut short because of his HIV status at 31 years old, he missed an opportunity to pile on at least three more years of elite-level play.

Shelburne: When he was traded here in 2011, I had this very thought. Maybe it's because Los Angeles has been so starved for a charismatic leading man at the point guard position ever since Magic retired. Maybe it's because that first year when he and Blake Griffin founded Lob City reminded a lot of people of the Showtime Era. But again, we come back to the issue of championships. Magic's got a whole hand full of rings. CP3 is still searching for his first.

Strauss: No, I can't go that far. Shorter point guards only have so many years, and sadly, Chris Paul will be past his prime fairly soon. He won't have time to challenge Magic's incredible playoff success. Also, Magic's size allowed for a versatility that transcended the point guard position.

Stein: There's a five-ringed gap between them now, and there is no way that can be overlooked. The conversation about the Big O, despite everything I just said in his favor, isn't complete until we mention that he didn't win his one and only ring in the NBA until he hooked up with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Milwaukee in his early 30s. So let's make sure we don't forget to mention the fact that CP3 has never had the supporting cast to be in the championship conversation until this season to keep this fair ... but let's slow down, too. Magic has set the bar pret-tay, pret-tay high.

4. Do you think a championship and/or MVP award should be required for CP3 to be considered the greatest point guard ever?

Arnovitz: This is one of the great debates in sports, whether we're talking about point guards, starting pitchers or quarterbacks. Evaluations of individuals should be just that -- individual.

Gutierrez: Yes. The best player at any position has one or both of those on his mantle (for argument's sake: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Magic). You have to be dominant enough to win at least an MVP, if not a title or two. It's essentially an unwritten prerequisite.

Shelburne: I do. That may not be fair to him because, as Tom Haberstroh puts it, "As far as NBA teammates go, Johnson came into the league with a basketball in one hand and a silver spoon in the other." But that's just how the greatest players are measured. I don't think CP3 needs to win five titles to stand next to Magic or Oscar. But he's gotta get at least one. That's the entrance ticket.

Strauss: Yes, he's got to get at least one of the two, and probably both. People still lean on [Allen] Iverson's MVP when defending his legacy and they still lean on championships when touting Isiah's [Thomas]. Paul will need a traditional marker of success to help his case.

Stein: 100 percent yes. Like it or not, championships especially (and MVP awards, too) are factored into any of these debates, more so in basketball than any other North American team sport. CP3 has to play by the same rules and, knowing how competitive he is, I'm sure he wants to be judged by the same tough standards as everyone else.

5. Where will CP3 likely end up on your all-time PG rankings?

Arnovitz: Longevity and durability count, so it's hard to project where a 28-year-old point guard is going to finish his career. But if you peek at Paul's file, the list of similarity scores (the players throughout history his record most resembles) includes Robertson, Magic, Jerry West and John Stockton. If Paul doesn't experience a precipitous falloff in the next decade, he'll have them all beat.

Gutierrez: Third, behind Magic and Oscar, and just ahead of Isiah Thomas, who gets the benefit of those two titles. Paul is only 28, which probably means another four to six years of putting up similar numbers and chasing rings. When he's done, it'll be hard to argue he's not top three at his position.

Shelburne: He can be in the top 5 if he never wins a title or MVP award, but no higher. That's actually saying a lot, though. What's interesting about Paul is that he's not the biggest, quickest, fastest or strongest. He really has no standout physical gift that elevates him over his peers. It's his intelligence, toughness and savvy that make him stand out in what's become something of a golden era for point guards. Now, if he gets that ring, everything changes.

Strauss: He could retire today and be second behind Magic in my estimation. That's likely where he ends up for me. Stats aside, I've never seen a point guard so effortlessly control the flow of a game. He always evoked a sense that he's moving time and space with his mind out there. It's been (and remains) a special experience.

Stein: Magic. The Big O. Isiah. Stockton. Cousy. That, in case you've forgotten, was ESPN's top five back when we ranked the all-time greats in '06. Without team success or multiple MVPs a la Nash, it's going to be hard for him to get any higher than No. 6 because, well, just read those five names again. The guys sitting in the next five slots ain't slouches, either: Frazier, Kidd, Archibald, Nash and Payton. So CP3 is going to need some big-time team success, with a dash of individual success of the highest order, to nudge any of those guys aside. The good news? I'd also say he's got some serious bonus points looming in his future if he can be the guy who breaks through to take the Clippers all the way to the promised land.

RD2191
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

spurraider21
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I'd take him over Stockton or Kidd. Not sure about Isaiah though. It's also really hard to evaluate Nash on these lists

StrengthAndHonor
11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Statistically, yes CP3 is without a doubt the best PG of all time. I think people are really overlooking how great Paul is. I know he doesnt get the credit he deserves because he's a shameless flopper but it's hard to argue with numbers. He's perhaps the most efficient PG in NBA History, or logged one of the best seasons ever by a PG (2008 IIRC)

In terms of intangibles? Chris is definitely not there and I don't think he'll ever get there with his window closing soon, I know he's relatively young but he's definitely past his prime. Isiah, Magic, Oscar and maybe even Nash are ahead of Paul in my All Time list.

Venti Quattro
11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd take him over Stockton or Kidd. Not sure about Isaiah though. It's also really hard to evaluate Nash on these lists

For me:

1. Magic
2. Isiah

tho.

Where do you see two point guards kiss each other's cheeks before every jump ball and then proceed to kill each other for 48 minutes. Only them

DAF86
11-21-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm all for advanced stats and giving more importance to indivdual performances over team accomplishments to compare individuals but this is just too much hype for a guy which level of game decreases every year on the playoffs.

RsxPiimp
11-21-2013, 08:18 PM
This is why I take advance statistics with a grain of salt. Analysis on stats is the biggest fallacy in modern sports.

I remember ESPN ranking Wade's 2006 NBA Finals as the greatest performance in league history :lol

DAF86
11-21-2013, 08:24 PM
This is why I take advance statistics with a grain of salt. Analysis on stats is the biggest fallacy in modern sports.

I remember ESPN ranking Wade's 2006 NBA Finals as the greatest performance in league history :lol

You take advance statistics with a grain of salt 'cause they don't favour Kobe, tbh.

RsxPiimp
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
You take advance statistics with a grain of salt 'cause they don't favour Kobe, tbh.

Let's not turn this into a Kobe thread, there's plenty of that already and quite frankly the topic is beaten to death. Its a known fact that Kobe's an inefficient scorer throughout his career. He won his way, so I'll leave it at that.

So, yeah, I still take it all with a grain of salt. No one is going to convince me that Paul is better than Magic, Isiah and Oscar.

Arcadian
11-21-2013, 08:33 PM
He's the best PG since Jason Kidd in his prime. That's the farthest I'll go.

lefty
11-21-2013, 08:53 PM
For me:

1. Magic
2. Isiah

tho.

Where do you see two point guards kiss each other's cheeks before every jump ball and then proceed to kill each other for 48 minutes. Only them

Ditto

PlayNando
11-21-2013, 08:56 PM
TP9 >>>>>>>>>>> CP3, tbh. TRUTH.

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2013, 09:22 PM
As a regular season PG, he could be the greatest of all-time, tbh..at worst, he's in the top 3 IMO..

He's a good playoff performer, but not great..he generally outplays his opponent or at least plays him to a draw, tbh..the black eye on his playoff resume is deferring to Pargo in the biggest game of his career, but that Hornets team had little offensive firepower once Bowen switched to Peja and eliminated him from the series..

Overall, Magic is the only PG that is clearly better than him, tbh..I'd probably take Isiah over him due to playoff pedigree, too..he's a lot better than Ason Kidd or Gary Payton..he's more difficult to stop than Stockton and a better all-around player than Nash, I'd take him ahead of those 2 guys by a bit, but I could see a good argument for Stockton..Oscar Robertson played antiquated basketball, tbh..

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2013, 09:31 PM
wtf no mention of the glove? he locked this fool down

callo1
11-21-2013, 09:40 PM
That was great, I needed a good laugh.

Guy hasn't won a thing and is considered a GoAT pg? :rollin

Holden_Caulfield
11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
stat whore, too much flash not enough bling

TXstbobcat
11-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't think he is even top 5 all time.

apalisoc_9
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Top 15-20, IMO

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Winning is a team accomplishment, obviously..

If a player constantly choked in big games, like Karl Malone, for instance, or didn't make his team better, like Carmelo, then I'd understand the criticism, but Paul generally does show up in big games, at least compared to other PGs, tbh..

Venti Quattro
11-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Winning is a team accomplishment, obviously..

If a player constantly choked in big games, like Karl Malone, for instance, or didn't make his team better, like Carmelo, then I'd understand the criticism, but Paul generally does show up in big games, at least compared to other PGs, tbh..
I get your sentiment, but we still haven't had a CP3 game to erase the ghost of Jannero Pargo, tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Jannero f*cking P:lolrgo - Big Ghaz

DMC
11-21-2013, 11:09 PM

No way I take him over prime Kidd.

DMC
11-21-2013, 11:10 PM
That was great, I needed a good laugh.

Guy hasn't won a thing and is considered a GoAT pg? :rollin

Charles Barkley never won a ring either.

Venti Quattro
11-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Charles Barkley never won a ring either.

And that's why Tim Duncan is the GOAT PF.

Killakobe81
11-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Lol Paul is amazing but not in the class of Isiah or Magic.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2013, 12:09 AM
lol did you watch the game today against okc, clown causes a flag1 foul and flops....seriously cant wait till someone has had enough of this clown and gives him a dose of his own medicine

best players dont need to rely on flops to beat another player, thats difference between goats and sheeps...cp3 = sheep

DMC
11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
And that's why Tim Duncan is the GOAT PF.

But you wouldn't put KG ahead of Barkley even though KG has a ring.

Venti Quattro
11-22-2013, 12:47 AM
But you wouldn't put KG ahead of Barkley even though KG has a ring.
The other guy is the round mound of rebound and the other one is a bitch

DMC
11-22-2013, 12:48 AM
The other guy is the round mound of rebound and the other one is a bitch

But KG has a ring. If Barkley had rings, would he be better than Duncan? Isn't the fact that Duncan is the full package the reason he has the rings in the first place?

So then it's probably not that he has rings, but that he has ability, and that got him rings.

AchillesHeel
11-22-2013, 12:53 AM
CP3 ain't better than Stockton, cmon man... Even debatable against Payton, who led a team to a Finals and took MJ to 6 games and his worst Finals performance.

CP3 is a great regular season PG, but I can't put him in the same category and Oscar and Magic, who dominated their era far more than CP3 has dominated his.

Top 5 all-time PG no doubt, but not close to the top 2 until he leads a team to a Finals appearance.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2013, 03:15 AM
if its magic, oscar, stockton, payton, kidd

how is cp3 top5?

AchillesHeel
11-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Skill-wise, CP3 is a top 5 all-time PG. Never even mentioned Kidd, just said you could put Payton over CP3 because he led a team to a Finals.

Kidd is overrated. Career 50%TS? He's one of the best passers and defenders, but he wasn't a scorer like other all-time great PGs. Never even shot 45% from the field for a season..

Thebesteva
11-22-2013, 03:39 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao
Best emoticon ever

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2013, 04:23 AM
even if you remove kidd or dont have kidd in ur top5, that means isiah thomas gets bump into the top5

so how is cp3 going to crack into that list?

Rogue
11-22-2013, 04:39 AM
I think CP3 is slightly above the likes of Isiah and Payton but well below the class of Jason Kidd and Magic imho. Kidd's weakness is obvious, he's a mediocre shooter in the long range (though his 3pt % improved dramatically in his latest years) but the prime Kidd was such a beast at the defensive end that no one else could match, like you could assign him to defend players of any position from PG to C. And Kidd's on-court vision also has to be the best of all PGs who have ever played this game, even with Magic included.

RsxPiimp
11-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Prime Isiah would embarrass CP3, just sayin :lol. If Isiah isn't such a horrible GM/Human being, he'd be higher In everyone's list. Jordan's charm on the media completely destroyed Isiah honestly. I'm not saying Isiah is a saint but Jordan's really no better, he just happen to be a much more charismatic player that took advantage of the situation by making the Pistons and Isiah especially look like villains.

We all have different opinions, but I can never pick a flopper over someone who played basketball the right way.

LkrFan
11-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Magic
Big O
Zeke
Stockton
Parker
Kidd
Nash
Gary Payton
Mark Jackson
Chris Paul

He's top 10 IMHO. :tu

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2013, 04:50 AM
I love how NBA fans seem to ignore Gary Payton's severe playoff failures, just because of his 1 run to the Finals:lol..

One of the more overrated players I've seen, probably the most overrated HOF PG next to Kidd, tbh..

AchillesHeel
11-22-2013, 04:52 AM
I love how NBA fans seem to ignore Gary Payton's severe playoff failures, just because of his 1 run to the Finals:lol..

One of the more overrated players I've seen, probably the most overrated HOF PG next to Kidd, tbh..

Everyone has their fair share of fails. Your boy Lebron is the best example :lol, tbh.

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Except Payton's highs aren't special or comparable to the most elite players, certainly not special enough to negate his massive failures..

People like Payton because he's from the 90s and ran his mouth:lol..

LkrFan
11-22-2013, 04:56 AM

What about CP's playoff failures? They won 56 games just last year. Results? 1st round exit per par tbqh. :lol

At least the Glove locked players down - without flopping. GP is more accomplished than CP. Not to mention he has over 3,000 more assists. ;)

UZER
11-22-2013, 06:21 AM
ESPN over hyping someone from one of their favorite markets per par.

CP3 is great, but not Isaiah / Magic take your team to another level great.

Splits
11-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Magic
Big O
Zeke
Stockton
Parker
Kidd
Nash
Gary Payton
Mark Jackson
Chris Paul

He's top 10 IMHO. :tu

i hate agreeing with your kind, but that's a solid list.

Killakobe81
11-22-2013, 07:27 AM
i hate agreeing with your kind, but that's a solid list.

Not bad but Paul is greater than action Jackson ...