PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Who's the most overrated defender in the league?

AussieFanKurt
11-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Who's that guy who always gets called a top class defender but really isn't

:wakeup

Splits
11-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Used to be Kirbs, but that all went to shit last year when he was so severely exposed even KSPN couldn't ignore it.

Id guess I'd have to say fat Gasol just because he won DPOY but mostly because of his team and black coach. Oh and I'm bitter Tim didn't win it.

Brunodf
11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Fat Gasol/ CP3/ Deng

RsxPiimp
11-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Probably Paul George, especially now that he's in the spot light. Every block, steal, defensive stop will be shoved down our throat by ESPN.

HarlemHeat37
11-23-2013, 02:46 PM
1. Iman Shumpert
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Corey Brewer
4. Joakim Noah
5. Nic Batum

spurraider21
11-23-2013, 03:14 PM
^Solid list, though I don't think Noah should be there. He's constantly hurt though I guess that still counts

CitizenDwayne
11-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Joakim Noah

How so? Other than that, I agree.

Danny Green maybe? By some people around here, at least.

hater
11-23-2013, 04:05 PM
tony allen. nigga cant stop a statue these days

Calispursfan11
11-23-2013, 04:06 PM
The fact that people still consider KG a defender is overrated. He's actually just a traffic cone at this point.

AussieFanKurt
11-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Haven't watched much Memphis but when I have I've never thought Tony was that good. Might just be off nights doe

look_at_g_shred
11-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Josh Smith

JamStone
11-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Tony Allen is a good defender who gets away with a crapload of dirty shit. He gained some hype defensively when he played with Boston, and for some unimaginable reason, officials still often give him a pass on clutching and grabbing despite him actually being just a scrub. He gets away with way more than Bowen used to. He is a good defender though, but I'd definitely agree he's overrated. He'd probably get lit up much more if officials called all of his clutching and grabbing.

I think KG benefited a lot the last season or two when Doc decided to give him more minutes at center. There, he didn't have move as much, could concentrate on rebounding, and the center position in general in the NBA is pretty weak offensively. I haven't watched many Nets games this year, but assuming he's playing more PF next to Lopez, I'd imagine he's struggling more especially with the way more and more PFs either are very mobile off the dribble or stretch defenders out to the three point line or both.

I never thought Rondo was that great a defender. Same with CP3.

A guy not mentioned who could make the list except he missed most of last season and isn't talked about much is Anderson Varejao. A great hustle guy and an effective defender. But he just throws his body around wildly and that's his defense. He was starting to get recognition for his defense the last couple seasons. After getting injured and playing for Cleveland, he obviously doesn't get talked about much. But he's really just a hack.

TheCultOfPersonality
11-23-2013, 07:10 PM
The only thing that Tony Allen really excel at on defense was one on one defense. He's not good at everything else. The guy ball watches and loses his man on defense allowing back door cuts or wide open 3s. He also leaves shooters wide open for absolutely no reason for him to do so. This is how guys like Jodie Meeks for example are able to light up Tony Allen on defense.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Nationally, Chris Paul. Locally, Dejuan Blair. Mav fan loves seeing steals in the box score.

Rogue
11-24-2013, 12:00 AM
hate to say it but gotta admit my nigga blair has always been overrated defensively by fans outside of the Spurs fan base. You only need to have him play on your team to know how horrible his defense is imho, even if he ever plays any D.