PDA

View Full Version : Similarities between Timmy and Kareem

$pursDynasty
11-23-2013, 12:33 PM
My first NBA team was the Magic Johnson "Showtime" Lakers. I dimly remember Dr J and the Sixers before that but that Lakers team was the first I identified with. Later when Magic left the Lakers I realized that it was him I loved not the Lakers themselves but that is another story. On that Lakers team Magic was at first the hot new thing and Kareem was Lion in winter. I had heard the legends of Lew Alcindor and how he was probably the greatest NBA player ever, but by then I knew the guy from the Airplane movies and the guy that would show up on the TV screen with 8 seconds left on the shot clock after the rest of the fastbreaking Lakers had already made like 5 passes. Eventually the team became Magic's but Magic always accorded Kareem the proper respect, he was always 'the Captain." He still contributed though his great days had long since past, and while a shadow of his former greatness, Magic wouldn't have won those rings without Kareem's contribution against those large Celtics teams. Enter todays Spurs, Tony Parker a winner and transcendent PG has taken over the reigns of an all time great franchise from a frontline player that is considered the greatest of all time at his position. It is clearly now Tony's team, but everyone and I mean everyone respects what Timmy has meant to the franchise and still means to the team. Tim isn't just hanging on just for a ring, ala John Salley, he brings something to the Spurs that they will need if they want to win more rings. His inside presence on defense, and his rebounding are much more important to the success of the Spurs than him hitting his outside jumper. At this point TD's points are just icing on the cake, it is the other things he brings to the table that we need in the regular season. As long as he can give us some offense plus his defense and rebounding in the playoffs the Spurs can clinch the overall #1 seed in the playoffs. Yes it will be hard against the better teams but to me there are only 3 teams to whom that applies (Heat, Thunder, Pacers) and two of those teams we only see twice a year. So as for Tim's current shooting woes it isn't to be desired but it isn't the end of the world as long as he stays healthy and brings everything else to the table.

Kool Bob Love
11-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Game 6 And Game 7 proved that the Spurs go as far as Duncan can take us.

Yes Parker and Manu will help them get there. But Duncan puts the Spurs over the top. Like its been since 97.

That's why Kawhi needs to BALL. He's the X-Factor.

Tim GODuncan.:flag: