PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: LMAO NBA "parity"

ElNono
11-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Remember all that bullshit over the CBA negotiations where players had to take it up the ass so more teams would stop struggling and everyone would be more competitive? :lmao

The east is basically a two horse race, the rest sucks. The west is barely any more competitive (only because OKC and Houston keep getting det whistle, and the Spurs are an injury away from faltering). At most, a 4 horse race there.

Is this the weakest the league has been in a while?

Venti Quattro
11-24-2013, 01:23 AM
The CBA negotiations are only an avenue to show how most NBA front offices are incompetent and stupid.

Aside from that, it's nothing more.

Jacob1983
11-24-2013, 01:35 AM
What are you talking about? We are going to have the Pacers and Bobcats in the Eastern Conference Finals with the Bobcats winning in 7 games. In the WCF, we will have the Spurs beating the Pelicans in 7 games. The Pacers will beat the Spurs in 5 games in the NBA Finals.

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2013, 01:38 AM
There isn't much you can do about parity in basketball, tbh..

The league is probably going to receive a boost from the elite college classes coming in the next 2 years, though..

ElNono
11-24-2013, 01:40 AM
You also have to add Derek Fisher to the "winners" column on that deal, tbh... that under the table deal with the owners extended his career 3+ years, IMO...

spurraider21
11-24-2013, 01:40 AM
its not because of the CBA though. its the lack of tier 1 talent in the league. the lack of true "franchise players." no amount of bargaining can fix that

AussieFanKurt
11-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Remove 5-10 teams from the league

ElNono
11-24-2013, 01:43 AM
its not because of the CBA though. its the lack of tier 1 talent in the league. the lack of true "franchise players." no amount of bargaining can fix that

Well, but the premise for the killer salary cap, lux tax and revenue distribution was that small market teams couldn't compete with big markets, and that with the bigger caps everyone could hire top talent.

If there's a lack of "franchise players", then all that shit was all bullshit and a money grab for owners. I mean, if there's a lack of premium players, then Lebron should be making a fucking fortune. supply-demand.

HI-FI
11-24-2013, 01:44 AM
this. new CBA is better than old one. also doesn't help most of the teams in the East fucking suck and want to drain money from the rest.

Holden_Caulfield
11-24-2013, 01:45 AM
the d league is more entertaining, they all suck equally :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2013, 01:46 AM
- Too many teams in the league

- Too many meaningless regular season games, leading to coasting by certain veteran teams

- Too much recycling of shitty coaches

- There will be a lot of tanking this season and next season

All things considered, the number of contenders isn't any different than usual, tbh..there's generally only 1-2 contenders in each conference, excluding certain years like the 2011 West..

UZER
11-24-2013, 01:58 AM
If more guys stayed in college and developed their game, the nba product would be better with less parity. Instead we get one superstar every 3 years, and good 2 good players per draft. Then other players get the whistles to manufacture their "greatness".

spurraider21
11-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Well, but the premise for the killer salary cap, lux tax and revenue distribution was that small market teams couldn't compete with big markets, and that with the bigger caps everyone could hire top talent.

If there's a lack of "franchise players", then all that shit was all bullshit and a money grab for owners. I mean, if there's a lack of premium players, then Lebron should be making a fucking fortune. supply-demand.
thats true. the only team i can think of that has been fucked my cap problems was OKC because Harden ended up being a cap casualty

Jacob1983
11-24-2013, 02:16 AM
OKC only got fucked because of Harden's greed and ego. He could have been a man and stepped up and continued to play for OKC for a discount.

UZER
11-24-2013, 02:43 AM
OKC only got fucked because of Harden's greed and ego. He could have been a man and stepped up and continued to play for OKC for a discount.

But that's just it, OKC had to make a decision to keep or let him go based on money. Teams like LA just say fuck it, pay him what he wants regardless of how far over the cap we are.

Those teams build super teams regardless of the price tags. Other teams have to be smart with their money or have very unselfish players which is a rarity in todays game.

Jacob1983
11-24-2013, 02:47 AM
NBA players especially the "good" ones act like they are gods. So sad how pro athletes are treated and perceived by society. They are men playing a kid's game for money. Plain and simple.

tim_duncan_fan
11-24-2013, 03:02 AM
NBA players especially the "good" ones act like they are gods. So sad how pro athletes are treated and perceived by society. They are men playing a kid's game for money. Plain and simple.

I HATE when people complain about how much money athletes make. They make that much because everyone in the world wants to watch them play. Besides, our society would be even more fucked up and violent than it already is without the distraction of professional athletics.

Jacob1983
11-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Kobe deserves 30 million a year to play a kid's game 82 times a year?

ElNono
11-24-2013, 03:20 AM
But that's just it, OKC had to make a decision to keep or let him go based on money. Teams like LA just say fuck it, pay him what he wants regardless of how far over the cap we are.

Those teams build super teams regardless of the price tags. Other teams have to be smart with their money or have very unselfish players which is a rarity in todays game.

The new luxury tax makes all teams have to be smart with their monies. The days of the Knicks or Lakers being way, way over the lux cap are over with this CBA. I don't care how much money they make, the penalty is incredibly expensive and it gets spread out to the teams that don't hit the lux cap. The new 'twist' is now to lure talent at half the price because they're chasing a ring, and the really talented superstars taking paycuts so they can make superfriends teams (IIRC, both Lebron and Bosh didn't get the full max).

The player salary cap and new revenue distribution only ensure that owners that made terrible decisions about their rosters still cash in.

ElNono
11-24-2013, 03:22 AM

He makes the Lakeshow, the NBA, ESPN and Nike a shit ton of money. If he would be a baseball player where there are no caps, he would easily collect way more than that. Same for Lebron.

It's not what they do, it's the revenue they bring (marketability, etc)

Clipper Nation
11-24-2013, 03:30 AM

Maybe if Clay Bennett didn't move the team out of Seattle, he could have been able to afford full price....

PlayNando
11-24-2013, 04:00 AM
Yes, he does.

Jacob1983
11-24-2013, 04:48 AM
I just don't get why players can't be humble and put aside their own greed and ego for the sake of their team. Kobe is a great player but 30 million is too much.

chief keef
11-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Someone doesn't understand basic economics. Kobe's worth to the NBA and the Lakers is much, much more than 30 million.

baseline bum
11-24-2013, 10:15 AM
He makes the Lakeshow, the NBA, ESPN and Nike a shit ton of money. If he would be a baseball player where there are no caps, he would easily collect way more than that. Same for Lebron.

It's not what they do, it's the revenue they bring (marketability, etc)

Yep, Kobe would be on an A-Rod contract. LeBron too.

baseline bum
11-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Always cracks me up when right wingers complain about niggas making cash in sports but then defend the bankers and their golden parachutes.

ElNono
11-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Yep, Kobe would be on an A-Rod contract. LeBron too.

Agreed. David is not amused though...

http://ionetheurbandaily.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/david-stern-worried.jpg

DPG21920
11-24-2013, 01:51 PM
The only way to improve parity (which even this wouldn't do it all) would be to change up the draft. For teams that miss the playoffs, the best record should get the most ping pong balls. It would keep teams from tanking, and help teams that are on the cusp of the playoffs land cheap top flight talent if they draft well to take that next step.

Rogue
11-24-2013, 08:01 PM
That's just because some "good" teams failed to live up to their expectations like NY and Brooklyn, and last season's Lakers of course.

resistanze
11-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Always cracks me up when right wingers complain about niggas making cash in sports but then defend the bankers and their golden parachutes.

banderas.gif

Chinook
11-24-2013, 11:47 PM
ElNono I would say there's actually more parity now. It's just parity of opportunity instead of talent. We're big-market teams having to cut costs or at least greatly limited in how much they can spend to improve. The fact that the league is being dominated by three small-market teams (and Miami) this season shows that. When we see the Nets, Knicks and Heat break up next year, it will be even more evident that teams with loads money but dumb front offices can't buy their way to championships anymore.

ElNono
11-25-2013, 12:11 AM
ElNono I would say there's actually more parity now. It's just parity of opportunity instead of talent. We're big-market teams having to cut costs or at least greatly limited in how much they can spend to improve. The fact that the league is being dominated by three small-market teams (and Miami) this season shows that. When we see the Nets, Knicks and Heat break up next year, it will be even more evident that teams with loads money but dumb front offices can't buy their way to championships anymore.

I'm not sure I agree. All those three small-market teams were basically put together with the old CBA, and they already had a fairly good control of their monies. The only team with a somewhat consistent success rate at throwing gobs of money at talent and actually winning were the Lakers. The Knicks are a prime example of that strategy going awfully wrong for a long, long time. If anything, the real purpose of such a punitive luxury tax is to stop owners from hurting themselves, at the expense of paying less for talent. Ultimately, the Nets are an attempt to pull a Miami and build another "superfriends" team. In a way, I'm glad is not working.

It's a complex topic, there's a lot of things in play. But when you only see 4-5 teams out of 30 having a real shot, then it's not really different than the previous CBA. When it comes to addressing parity, it looks like utter failure.

Chinook
11-25-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure I agree. All those three small-market teams were basically put together with the old CBA, and they already had a fairly good control of their monies. The only team with a somewhat consistent success rate at throwing gobs of money at talent and actually winning were the Lakers. The Knicks are a prime example of that strategy going awfully wrong for a long, long time. If anything, the real purpose of such a punitive luxury tax is to stop owners from hurting themselves, at the expense of paying less for talent. Ultimately, the Nets are an attempt to pull a Miami and build another "superfriends" team. In a way, I'm glad is not working.

It's a complex topic, there's a lot of things in play. But when you only see 4-5 teams out of 30 having a real shot, then it's not really different than the previous CBA. When it comes to addressing parity, it looks like utter failure.

I think what makes it different is that any team can build like Indiana. New York could decide tomorrow to completely change their front office and focus on building a winning system. It may or may not work, but it was always an option. Not every team can build like the Lakers did. And now, they can't either. If Philly, Orlando, New Orleans or Detroit win out on Wiggins, they could be the next powerhouse. There probably won't be another Miami for a long time.

It also greatly narrows windows for title teams, as OKC and soon Indiana can attest to. So we're won't see another Spurs for an even longer time.

ElNono
11-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I think what makes it different is that any team can build like Indiana. New York could decide tomorrow to completely change their front office and focus on building a winning system. It may or may not work, but it was always an option. Not every team can build like the Lakers did. And now, they can't either. If Philly, Orlando, New Orleans or Detroit win out on Wiggins, they could be the next powerhouse. There probably won't be another Miami for a long time.

It also greatly narrows windows for title teams, as OKC and soon Indiana can attest to. So we're won't see another Spurs for an even longer time.

What I think is really going to happen is this CBA is going to be gutted once the economy props up a bit again, and the excuse of "teams not making enough money" dries out. Also disagree about not being another Miami. There will always be a FA market, and players willing to sign for less to chase a ring or earn more in endorsements. It's actually the problem with too-stiff salary caps. The uncapped outside-the-court earnings get more value, and those are much, much larger on big markets. There's not going to be an even playing field as long as that's around.

Jacob1983
11-25-2013, 01:52 AM
The NBA has the least amount of parity of the 4 pro sports in North America.

DMC
11-25-2013, 02:06 AM
If you disagree with capitalism, that's fine, but then your stance is that the billionaire owners should get more of the or that federal regulations should be imposed on ticket prices and merchandising prices.

It's supply and demand. There's one Kobe, and a hundred million be@ners in LA who worship him. You do the math.

Cry Havoc
11-25-2013, 02:30 AM

The NBA is the sport with the least amount of players in the game at the same time, and hockey is the only one that's close. Hockey is a much less star-dominated sport by nature, so that's not really a fault of the CBA.

The last 10 years of the NBA have been dominated by Duncan, the big markets, and a ridiculously potent Detroit team. Again, difficult to control that, and the NBA has done what they can to prevent teams like the Lakers from going 30 million over the cap on a yearly basis.

Need a hard cap. That's the logical next step to more parity. Or just make the luxury tax even more prohibitive and FORCE the smaller market teams to spend the revenue they receive.

irishock
11-25-2013, 02:44 AM

Don't look now but the MLB is slowly starting to get there despite no salary cap.

HI-FI
11-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Don't look now but the MLB is slowly starting to get there despite no salary cap.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened quicker when Red Sox, Yankees et al can just spend whatever they want.

ElNono
11-25-2013, 03:43 AM
If you disagree with capitalism, that's fine, but then your stance is that the billionaire owners should get more of the or that federal regulations should be imposed on ticket prices and merchandising prices.

It's supply and demand. There's one Kobe, and a hundred million be@ners in LA who worship him. You do the math.

I think these arbitrary caps are futile if the endgame is to even the playing field. I think Lebron, Kirby et all should be truly part of a capitalist system and get paid what they're really worth, salary-wise.

Venti Quattro
11-25-2013, 04:25 AM

He deserves more than the $90 million for the revenue he generates for the league and his sponsors. Same for global icons like Jordan, LeBron, Messi and Ronaldo. Their salaries are negligible in comparison to the revenue they generate for their club, league and sponsors.

DMC
11-25-2013, 09:00 AM
I think these arbitrary caps are futile if the endgame is to even the playing field. I think Lebron, Kirby et all should be truly part of a capitalist system and get paid what they're really worth, salary-wise.

So are you suggesting that teams be forced to pay a player more even if the player will settle for less? Doesn't that fly in the face of a free market system? I see no reason to punish a player for being a high value player by restricting his ability to play for less elsewhere. Sure it's gaming the system, but franchises need to become attractive destinations for players. League parity isn't nearly as important as free market. Who cares about a bunch of teams with players you don't know or like who just got moved around because their stats are being used to balance the field?

Or, are you saying that the cap should be lifted and these guys should be able to capitalize on their demand, basically gathering their rosebuds while they may? That's what I think you're saying. If that's the case, the wealthiest teams will have all the talent and there won't be any real league. There has to be a limited amount to work with in competition. It's their ability to manage that amount the most efficiently that should make the difference. Spending your way to a ring is a Yankees concept, and though it's not always worked in baseball, in basketball I think it would.

Rogue
11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
A free market would trip the league of the power to rig games which's the real reason why they'll never implement a real free market in NBA imho. Teams all have to act as their puppets no matter rich or poor, big or small