Gino-Step
11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Just signed for 2 years 49m ....35m more than Manu and more washed up

Boomersgold
11-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Completely agree with you on this one.

Brazil
11-25-2013, 12:31 PM
:cry Manu sacrificed so much.... he did it for the twins... $M 7 per year is almost food stamp nowadays :cry

Mugen
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
:cry Manu sacrificed so much.... he did it for the twins... $M 7 per year is almost food stamp nowadays :cry

:cry Latrell Ginobili :cry

Obstructed_View
11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Spursfan when Manu signs for 2 years after a trip to the finals:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyqlq8I1i01qzngq9.gif

Kobefan when Bean signs for 2 years after a major injury:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IrbuGktVil0/UKa0B0lcLXI/AAAAAAAAAnY/ojhmQpPvFpI/s1600/JonStewart_HappyBunny-gif.gif

exstatic
11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
LA is SO dumb.

BeeGee
11-25-2013, 02:00 PM
The fact that you clowns are mentioning Manu in the same sentence as Kobe, says so much about the delusions of Spurs fans.

27.3 points per game
6.0 assists per game
5.6 rebounds per game
1.4 steals per game
38.3 minutes per game
.463 fg%

Somehow to you slags, this is "washed up". Somehow you believe Manu, who is ALWAYS injured, and can't even give you 10 points per game (.425 fg%) is less "washed up"? Please idiots. Kobe's contract is about more than what he does on the court. He's a global icon when it comes to basketball. Him wearing the uniform means his contract is an easy deal no matter what it is because him wearing the uniform means the Lakers will easily make that money back. Outside of Argentina, the local San Antonio area, and maybe some parts of Spain, Manu Ginobili simply doesn't matter. Do yourself a favor and never compare this role player with ANY legend or icon of the sport. You sound stupid.

exstatic
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
The fact that you clowns are mentioning Manu in the same sentence as Kobe, says so much about the delusions of Spurs fans.

27.3 points per game
6.0 assists per game
5.6 rebounds per game
1.4 steals per game
38.3 minutes per game
.463 fg%

Somehow to you slags, this is "washed up". Somehow you believe Manu, who is ALWAYS injured, and can't even give you 10 points per game (.425 fg%) is less "washed up"? Please idiots. Kobe's contract is about more than what he does on the court. He's a global icon when it comes to basketball. Him wearing the uniform means his contract is an easy deal no matter what it is because him wearing the uniform means the Lakers will easily make that money back. Outside of Argentina, the local San Antonio area, and maybe some parts of Spain, Manu Ginobili simply doesn't matter. Do yourself a favor and never compare this role player with ANY legend or icon of the sport. You sound stupid.
You sound more like you're trying to convince yourself than us.

Kobe will be a shadow of his former self eating up most of your cap this year and for the next two after. They should have ripped off the bandaid, and started over. Kobe would have eventually gotten over it, just like Shaquille did.

It's not show friends, it's show business. Lakers forgot that.

cjw
11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
You sound more like you're trying to convince yourself than us.

Kobe will be a shadow of his former self eating up most of your cap this year and for the next two after. They should have ripped off the bandaid, and started over. Kobe would have eventually gotten over it, just like Shaquille did.

It's not show friends, it's show business. Lakers forgot that.

Exactly. Surprising the Lakers didn't make him come back on the court and play before signing this deal, which is more than EVERYONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE IS MAKING. More than Melo can get if he opts out, more than the Knicks are paying Amare, Dirk, who has the second highest contract, can only get signed for a 5% increase or $23.9mm and he's already stated he'll take less money.

What a pig Kobe is. Can't help but love it. #6 will never happen.

hater
11-25-2013, 02:26 PM
:lol at the ppl hating Laker's move. I'm pretty sure it's the same people that can't even close a business deal with a homeless man.

it's a great business move. Kobe owns china, Lakers will be rich while Kobe is on purple n gold.

will_spurs
11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Can't we just all agree on the fact that BOTH are way overpaid for their production right now.

Plus, it means the Lakers will remain irrelevant for at least a couple more seasons. And I have to ask: what's wrong with that?

cd98
11-25-2013, 03:16 PM

27.3 points per game
6.0 assists per game
5.6 rebounds per game
1.4 steals per game
38.3 minutes per game
.463 fg%

No doubt Kobe is a better player than Manu and deserves to make more money. The comparison isn't dollar for dollar. It's more that Manu, over the course of his career, has accepted less money to ensure that the Spurs could keep the big three and surround themselves with talent to keep the team competitive. Kobe hasn't shown he is willing to do that. He makes a ton of money, and has made a ton of money on and off the basketball court. Now he's definitely made the Lakers a ton of money too, which is why they are overpaying him based on his skills/age. The problem with overpaying him, though, is that it limits what you can do to improve the team. Their ceiling for the rest of the Kobe years is a lower tier playoff team, if that. I'm assuming Kobe comes back from his injury and can resume what he has averaged over the last couple of years. It could be that he comes back at less than that. Which makes LA a non-playoff team. I guess they are banking on being bad enough to get high draft picks.

bklynspursfan
11-25-2013, 03:44 PM

BeakersBro
11-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Smart teams don't pay for past performance, but for future performance over the life of the contract.

Signing Kobe for this much will continue to cripple the Laker's rebuilding schedule. No max free agent is going to want to play next to a washed up Kobe.

Hope you like 8 seeds and first round exits as a reach goal....

Obstructed_View
11-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Can't we just all agree on the fact that BOTH are way overpaid for their production right now.

Kobefan admits nothing! The only reason he didn't get 30 million is because he can't run full speed.

Blue Duck
11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
There is no comparison between Manu and Kobe. Manu has been a polarizing figure in this forum and a compelling one to say the least. There are Manu haters and Manumaniacs, and there seem to be very few in between. Me, I love the guy, and I'm extremely appreciative that he is a spur. Many of the haters forget that he, more than either of the two remaining members of the big 3, was the catalyst that fueled this teams success from 2008 to 2011 and was the best Spur on the floor in 2012 when the Thunder sent the team packing. Conversely, Kobe gets way too much credit for his team's success and not enough of the blame for their failures. A phenomenon fueled mainly by the sycophant beat writers and analysts that cover this sport and refuse see him for all of his flaws. Such flaws that have damned his team to mediocrity in all of the years that he did not have another superstar to shoulder the burden of the heavy lifting, as well as the blame. kobe has always been about Kobe. This is the same guy who held his team hostage by refusing to shoot during a critical game against division rival Phoenix one year, cuz he couldn't take a little criticism over the fact that he is the ultimate black hole on offense. The same guy who had a very public meltdown on the airwaves (wah wah) because the team wasn't submitting to his every demand, and the same guy whose first instinct was to throw Shaq, his teammate directly in front of the proverbial on-coming bus when he got himself into trouble. He is a constant distraction in the locker room and a devisive force. On the court, he has never been able to find the balance between scoring and distributing, a skill that seems so effortless to Manu, yet one that has been so elusive to Kobe. Sure, he can score, but so can Melo. In fact, I see a ton of similarities between these two "super stars". Kobe vs. Manu.........No comparison, only contrast; thank god. go spurs

Skull-1
11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
There is no comparison between Manu and Kobe. Manu has been a polarizing figure in this forum and a compelling one to say the least. There are Manu haters and Manumaniacs, and there seem to be very few in between. Me, I love the guy, and I'm extremely appreciative that he is a spur. Many of the haters forget that he, more than either of the two remaining members of the big 3, was the catalyst that fueled this teams success from 2008 to 2011 and was the best Spur on the floor in 2012 when the Thunder sent the team packing. Conversely, Kobe gets way too much credit for his team's success and not enough of the blame for their failures. A phenomenon fueled mainly by the sycophant beat writers and analysts that cover this sport and refuse see him for all of his flaws. Such flaws that have damned his team to mediocrity in all of the years that he did not have another superstar to shoulder the burden of the heavy lifting, as well as the blame. kobe has always been about Kobe. This is the same guy who held his team hostage by refusing to shoot during a critical game against division rival Phoenix one year, cuz he couldn't take a little criticism over the fact that he is the ultimate black hole on offense. The same guy who had a very public meltdown on the airwaves (wah wah) because the team wasn't submitting to his every demand, and the same guy whose first instinct was to throw Shaq, his teammate directly in front of the proverbial on-coming bus when he got himself into trouble. He is a constant distraction in the locker room and a devisive force. On the court, he has never been able to find the balance between scoring and distributing, a skill that seems so effortless to Manu, yet one that has been so elusive to Kobe. Sure, he can score, but so can Melo. In fact, I see a ton of similarities between these two "super stars". Kobe vs. Manu.........No comparison, only contrast; thank god. go spurs

What success???

Blue Duck
11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Exactly, they were not serious contenders during those years, but they were still very, very good. So the success I'm referring to is the fact that they were able to at least, stay relevant during that time frame, as opposed to falling off of the cliff. People forget how much of an impact he made, just keeping this team afloat, or, at least, somewhat relevant because they seemed to be in the midst of a slow decline during those years.

GoodOdor
11-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Good business move tbh.

DJR210
11-25-2013, 05:35 PM
LMFAO 25 Million a year. Fucking greedy son of a bitch.

Enjoy your cast of D-league all-stars and 2nd/3rd tour of duty losers, LA fans. Expect to sign Mark Madsen, Medvedenko, and Smush Parker for next season.

Blue Duck
11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Both teams had their reasons for making their respective deals, and I hate to Kobe bash, that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. It's just that some of the stuff he's done in the past I've found to be self-serving and at the expense of his own team. I hate that. And, I've never been enamoured with these volume shooter types. Sorry, but to truly appreciate Manu's game, you can't be some Lakerfan, who just looks at stats, you have to be someone who watches this team (spurs) on an on-going and consistent basis. He is the type of player that get the most out of all of his teammates, including undewhelming draftees and signings such as Blair and Jefferson. All of his teammates love playing with him. I don't believe the same could be said for Kobe.

His mistakes often times are due to the fact that he sees things on the court that his teammates don't, meaning he sees a window or an opening that a less instinctive player will miss, thus resulting in a turnover. And when this happens, he typically erases his own mistake on the other end. Just saying that rather than make guys like Blair and Jefferson and Neal, etc etc better, Kobe would have these guys terrified to shoot for fear that they may draw his wrath. Rather than work with what he has, Kobe would rather bitch about what he doesn't. They're jus extreeeeeeeemly different. My apologies to any Laker fans on this board, it is truly not my intention to offend anyone or talk trash.

SupremeGuy
11-25-2013, 05:54 PM
405045834867167232:lmao

Obstructed_View
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM

27.3 points per game
6.0 assists per game
5.6 rebounds per game
1.4 steals per game
38.3 minutes per game
.463 fg%

If only Kobefan knew it was a team game. When's the box score parade?

Marrow
11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
with that extension the lakers have effectively boarded up their title window...

DMC
11-25-2013, 06:48 PM
I agree with Hater, it's a business move. It has nothing to do with winning games. NBA is first and foremost a business. Kobe gives the team an attraction, and a facade of trying to return to glory. It's either that or pay a couple pseudo stars collectively the same money and get maybe a few more wins, but lose your ass in revenue because anyone in LA who wants to see scrubs can just go watch Sacramento play.

Brazil
11-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Of course it's a business move, spurs did also a business move with Manu contract but the spurs way

Brazil
11-25-2013, 06:51 PM
M

Marrow
11-25-2013, 07:17 PM
business move or not...there is no better business than winning

hater
11-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Of course it's a business move, spurs did also a business move with Manu contract but the spurs way

truth firebombing

baseline bum
11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
$48.5 million over two years for a cripple who runs HOF bigmen out of town :lol

Cklbmk
11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I think its a stretch to call Dwight HoF already

Obstructed_View
11-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I think its a stretch to call Dwight HoF already

Not even remotely a stretch. If he dropped dead tomorrow, he'd almost certainly get in.

exstatic
11-25-2013, 10:36 PM

This contract probably runs out the third one in Gasol.

will_spurs
11-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Exactly, they were not serious contenders during those years, but they were still very, very good. So the success I'm referring to is the fact that they were able to at least, stay relevant during that time frame, as opposed to falling off of the cliff. People forget how much of an impact he made, just keeping this team afloat, or, at least, somewhat relevant because they seemed to be in the midst of a slow decline during those years.

This is a thread about Manu. Why are you talking about Parker!?

Boomersgold
11-26-2013, 03:53 AM

It's an NBA player's nightmare to play with Kobe. Think about it for a second. Every loss will be blamed on you regardless of how poorly Kobe played. If you play hard in a loss where Kobe shoots 7/28 and has 5 turnovers, it's still your fault the Lakers lost because Kobe still ended up with his 20 points. It's a lose-lose situation because no matter what happens, Kobe'll get a free pass from the media and any blame will be on his teammates.

Fireball
11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
I did not even know it was possible to pay a player this much per year ... wow

will_spurs
11-26-2013, 05:22 AM
I did not even know it was possible to pay a player this much per year ... wow

His current salary is $30M a year, so he's actually taking a 20% paycut (but is still going to be the best paid player in the NBA).

Darius McCrary
11-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Lots of win in this thread from O_V, per usual, tbh

tbh

TampaDude
11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Enjoy a few more years of mediocrity, Laker fans. :lol

99 Problems
11-26-2013, 07:09 AM
L.a going from average to basketball 3rd world. Nothing coming out of there for a few yrs, at least end of Duncan era now.

timmy2003
11-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Lakers will suck for the next two years :lol

Fireball
11-26-2013, 08:36 AM
His current salary is $30M a year, so he's actually taking a 20% paycut (but is still going to be the best paid player in the NBA). Poor Kobe :lol

CGD
11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
I agree with Hater, it's a business move. It has nothing to do with winning games. NBA is first and foremost a business. Kobe gives the team an attraction, and a facade of trying to return to glory. It's either that or pay a couple pseudo stars collectively the same money and get maybe a few more wins, but lose your ass in revenue because anyone in LA who wants to see scrubs can just go watch Sacramento play.

Yes, but it more than that, specifically the lakers just signed a multi-billion dollar cable deal. The NBA wins when the Lakers are generating buzz, and that's that. Old Kobe is better business than a product featuring Nick Young and Gasol.

therealtruth
11-26-2013, 06:26 PM
If the Lakers were really loyal they would have kept Shaq.

kobexxx
11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
how many rings did kobe have compared to Manu? or even Duncan?

lefty
11-26-2013, 09:55 PM
how many rings did kobe have compared to Manu? or even Duncan?
As an alpha male ?

none

cd021
11-26-2013, 10:35 PM
with that extension the lakers have effectively boarded up their title window...

So we've officially outlasted both Laker championship teams. Thats pretty amazing.

BillMc
11-26-2013, 10:53 PM
As an alpha male ?

none

I'd say Kobe has 2 as the main guy. Revisionist history seems to forget that Shaq was the best player on those first 3 teams. You hear a lot of Laker fans (actually Kobe fan boys) who dismiss or discount Shaq. Shaq was in his prime in those 3 and the best player in basketball. The general media who somehow want to put Kobe ahead of Shaq on the all time list are mistaken.

But Kobe was the best player on the last 2 and should get credit for it. Pau was the difference maker, the final piece, coming to the Lakers, but it was Kobe's team. He was definitely the alpha dog on those titles.

Juggity
11-26-2013, 11:04 PM
But Kobe was the best player on the last 2 and should get credit for it. Pau was the difference maker, the final piece, coming to the Lakers, but it was Kobe's team. He was definitely the alpha dog on those titles.

I'll give him credit for 2009, but not 2010.

6-24 in game 7 of the finals are not FMVP/team leader numbers

TampaDude
11-26-2013, 11:06 PM
I'll give him credit for 2009, but not 2010.

6-24 in game 7 of the finals are not FMVP/team leader numbers

Perkins won that game for the Lakers by getting hurt and not being on the court. Even then, Artest bailed out Kobe at the end.

ElNono
11-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Told you Manu's deal was a bargain... :hat

DAF86
11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Told you Manu's deal was a bargain... :hat

Don't know if a bargain but definitely not the robbery everybody in here was crying for.

Obstructed_View
11-27-2013, 03:17 PM
It's an NBA player's nightmare to play with Kobe. Think about it for a second. Every loss will be blamed on you regardless of how poorly Kobe played. If you play hard in a loss where Kobe shoots 7/28 and has 5 turnovers, it's still your fault the Lakers lost because Kobe still ended up with his 20 points. It's a lose-lose situation because no matter what happens, Kobe'll get a free pass from the media and any blame will be on his teammates.

Further evidence of the above is that Lakers fans are going to expect Pau Gasol to take a massive pay cut to allow the Lakers to sign a big-name free agent, and will then be labeled "selfish" or "not a team guy" when he balks about it.

Obstructed_View
11-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Lots of win in this thread from O_V, per usual, tbh

tbh

If you have a problem with Dwight Howard being a lock for the hall of fame, take it up with BBR:
http://www.basketball-reference.com//leaders/hof_prob.html

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Manu sacrificed so much...namely, 2 more Spurs LOBs

Darius McCrary
11-28-2013, 02:22 AM
If you have a problem with Dwight Howard being a lock for the hall of fame, take it up with BBR:
http://www.basketball-reference.com//leaders/hof_prob.html

1) i wasn't being facetious
2) i was referring to your comments on page 1

Skull-1
11-28-2013, 02:27 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

ElNono
11-28-2013, 02:33 AM

How many did Bean sacrifice while running Shaq outta town, tbh? 2004 for sure... 05, 06?

Obstructed_View
11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
1) i wasn't being facetious
2) i was referring to your comments on page 1

1) whoops and I apologize. Should be less thin skinned. Happy Thanksgiving.