PDA

View Full Version : Are you "detached" from the war in Iraq?

Jelly
07-27-2005, 09:00 PM
I was visiting some friends of mine in California and they were talking about how America has mostly forgotten about our troops in Iraq; that most Americans are simply not interested in what's going on over there and that we, as a nation, are largely detached from the situation. They also made the point that they didn't know one person serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. (I told them it would help if they actually knew someone in the military, but what are you gonna do with some people?)

Anyway, I hold the opposite view. I feel very aware, even a little wrapped up in, the war in Iraq, even though I'm not close friends with anyone who is over there right now. I live in the Washington area where the war is on everyone's minds. I was in Texas recently where I saw plenty of symbols people still care (yellow ribbons, flags, Support Our Troops stickers etc). But in California, I saw nothing to indicate that our troops in Iraq was an issue many people cared about.

So, what about you all? How connected or detached do you think ordinary Americans are to this situation in Iraq?

Jimcs50
07-27-2005, 09:04 PM
We could care less...it is all too obvious.

The headlines on every newspaper prove my point.

The Iraq war is on page 12-14 now, rather than page 1.

Lloyd Christmas
07-27-2005, 09:08 PM
i only read the Rhose Island Slut

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2005, 09:18 PM
I have family over there, but I still don't keep up with it. I just get angry about the situation. I just hope they all come back alright.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I have family over there, but I still don't keep up with it. I just get angry about the situation. I just hope they all come back alright.
Same here. Hard to keep up with it when the only news printed is the bad stuff.

JohnnyMarzetti
07-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Wasn't "Mission Accomplished"?

In all seriousness I think about the War in Iraq and Afghanistan everyday and will continue to do so until our men and women come home.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
I still think about the troops and pray for them almost every day.

Jelly
07-27-2005, 10:22 PM
It helps if you read some of the military blogs. There are some great ones. I used to read a guy named CBFTW, who starting writing a great blog called "My War: Fear and Loathing in Iraq". His blog was fantastic. Very unpretentious and even though it was filled with grammatical errors and mispellings, the guy was a great writer! He started getting a huge audience and now has a book coming out called "My War - Killing Time In Iraq". He got in trouble with his command and had to take the blog down, but check out the book if you want to hear some truly engrossing stories. The guy's name is Colby Buzzell. So there. I've done my part to plug this great new author.

http://books.monstersandcritics.com/archive/bookarchive.php/My_War%3A_Killing_Time_in_Iraq/3799

spurschick
07-27-2005, 10:32 PM
He started getting a huge audience and now has a book coming out called "My War - Killing Time In Iraq".

I noticed it in Barnes & Noble today, but didn't know the whole story. I may go back and get it now.

Jelly
07-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I noticed it in Barnes & Noble today, but didn't know the whole story. I may go back and get it now.

Spurschick,
maybe that was a different book you saw in Barnes & Noble. This book doesn't come out until October, but I think it will definitely be worth the read.
His blog was completely addictive. Unfortunately, he's had to take most of his writing down, but here's a link to his website:

http://cbftw.blogspot.com/

btw... it stands for Colby Buzzell Fuck This War

Swishy McJackass
07-27-2005, 11:38 PM
What war?

iminlakerland
07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Your friends in california may have forgotten about the war, but believe me they do not speak for all californians.

Vashner
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Really it's just a bunch of idiots blowing themself up or shooting police...
There is no real big ground combat.. short of some of the sweep operations.

It's mostly wait till something blows up or something is spotted..

Nbadan
07-28-2005, 03:57 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/bigbug.jpg

With sheeet like this crawling around over there, we need to get these boys home!

Solid D
07-28-2005, 06:22 AM
How can you be detached if you notice the news on a daily basis? The war in Iraq is really extended beyond the borders of Iraq. Islamic terrorist bombings are the way the war is fought against the US and its allies. The war is not just about Iraq. There were terrorist acts going on for decades, well before the war in Iraq, but let's face it...a lot of the war against the US, Brittain, and other forces involved in stabilization efforts in post-Saddam Iraq is not being fought by Iraqis.

I wonder what people outside of Great Brittain think the recent bomb disaster in London was all about. Are they detached and apathetic about that? The theatre or battleground for this war is not just in Iraq, and I'm sorry but it's not just reported in the back half of the newspapers in the US.

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 08:14 AM
No, I have a friend over there now, and one that will probably go once he is cleared from his injury.

Samurai Jane
07-28-2005, 08:15 AM
My brother, step-brother, and very good friend are all over there. I have another step-brother that will be joining them. I pay close attention to whats going on over there. I signed up for the DoD news alerts and everytime I open my email it reminds me of the reality over there and it drives home in my heart the sacrifices that are being made on all our behalfs. Even if you don't agree with the premise of this war, every single troop over there and their families deserve our support 100%.

God Bless Our Troops!!!

Hook Dem
07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Wasn't "Mission Accomplished"?

In all seriousness I think about the War in Iraq and Afghanistan everyday and will continue to do so until our men and women come home.
You need new material Johnny!

bigzak25
07-28-2005, 10:05 AM
i'm praying for our soldiers. i have not forgotten them. but i admittedly am not paying as close attention as i once was...hopefully the vast majority of our men and women over there come home safe and soon. :tu

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 10:07 AM
FYI, if you're sending over some care packages, don't forget the "Listerene" (Jack Daniels in a listerene bottle.) :lol

Hey, if they're old enough to get shot at, they're old enough to have a drink.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Food for thought:

Top Stories on Yahoo

* 9 More Arrested in Botched London Attacks AP - 27 minutes ago
* Record Rains Kill More Than 500 in India AP - 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
* IRA Ending Longtime 'Armed Campaign' AP - 57 minutes ago
* DaimlerChrysler CEO Schrempp to Resign AP - 4 minutes ago
* Nearly 433,000 Watch NASA Launch Webcast AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:58 PM ET

Most Popular Stories.

* Researcher Measures the Gases Cows Emit AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:51 PM ET
* The quest for a whiter shade of pale Chicago Tribune - Wed Jul 27, 9:40 AM ET
* Foul-mouthed British parrot banished by embarrassed keepers AFP - Tue Jul 26, 3:36 PM ET
* Gluten-Free Market Goes Mainstream AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:14 PM ET
* House Gives Bush Narrow Victory on CAFTA AP - 33 minutes ago

You tell me what Americans care the most about.

Solid D
07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Your premise is based on "most Americans" using Yahoo... now isn't it?

Most on-line news sources and many newspapers including the local paper had an article about Rumsfeld making a surprise visit to Iraq and an article about the London Bombing suspects on the front page.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I would venture to say that more people read news on yahoo and google than via newspapers in this country. But thats just my gut feeling.

Either way, I think it is rather obvious that the Iraq War is not nearly on the minds of America the way it was. Bombings are a daily occurence and they get stuck behind other newer stories.

Just the way I see it.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
BTW, I made no premise. I posted something from Yahoo and didn't even give my opinion about them.

Solid D
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Food for thought:

Top Stories on Yahoo

* 9 More Arrested in Botched London Attacks AP - 27 minutes ago
* Record Rains Kill More Than 500 in India AP - 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
* IRA Ending Longtime 'Armed Campaign' AP - 57 minutes ago
* DaimlerChrysler CEO Schrempp to Resign AP - 4 minutes ago
* Nearly 433,000 Watch NASA Launch Webcast AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:58 PM ET
Most Popular Stories.

* Researcher Measures the Gases Cows Emit AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:51 PM ET
* The quest for a whiter shade of pale Chicago Tribune - Wed Jul 27, 9:40 AM ET
* Foul-mouthed British parrot banished by embarrassed keepers AFP - Tue Jul 26, 3:36 PM ET
* Gluten-Free Market Goes Mainstream AP - Wed Jul 27, 9:14 PM ET
* House Gives Bush Narrow Victory on CAFTA AP - 33 minutes ago

You tell me what Americans care the most about.

I'm not really disagreeing with the data posted, Manny. You're cool...but I was saying "your premise" because of the closing comment (in bold above), "You tell me what Americans care the most about."

I'm saying, well...Americans using Yahoo, at least.

I agree that there are a lot of people using on-line news sources and that's why I referenced on-line as well as newpapers in my comments regarding Rumsfeld.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 11:43 AM
gotcha!

mookie2001
07-28-2005, 12:41 PM
i think about iraq many times a day

spurschick
07-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Spurschick,
maybe that was a different book you saw in Barnes & Noble. This book doesn't come out until October, but I think it will definitely be worth the read.

Went back today and it was a different book called Basrah, Baghdad, and Beyond... thought it was the one you were talking about. :oops

cherylsteele
07-28-2005, 07:51 PM
There is a war in Iraq??? :D

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2005, 08:25 PM
I was visiting some friends of mine in California and they were talking about how America has mostly forgotten about our troops in Iraq; that most Americans are simply not interested in what's going on over there and that we, as a nation, are largely detached from the situation. They also made the point that they didn't know one person serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. (I told them it would help if they actually knew someone in the military, but what are you gonna do with some people?)

Anyway, I hold the opposite view. I feel very aware, even a little wrapped up in, the war in Iraq, even though I'm not close friends with anyone who is over there right now. I live in the Washington area where the war is on everyone's minds. I was in Texas recently where I saw plenty of symbols people still care (yellow ribbons, flags, Support Our Troops stickers etc). But in California, I saw nothing to indicate that our troops in Iraq was an issue many people cared about.

So, what about you all? How connected or detached do you think ordinary Americans are to this situation in Iraq?

The Most Americans Watch TV and Most TV is War Coverage forum.

Spam
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
http://www.bradmesser.com/cartoons2005b/AttnSpan.gif