PDA

View Full Version : Devin Brown Starting

clubalien
07-27-2005, 09:54 PM
channel 29 news @9 reported that recently TWO teams have heated up intrest and one team said he would be a starter going into season/camp forget which

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I have a strong feeling that Devin will stay in SA.

timvp
07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
He said yesterday that Denver wants him.

C Camby
PF Martin
SF Carmelo
SG Devin
PG Miller/Boykins

That's a nice lineup. Point guard through power forward have strong, physical players.

The Spurs need to keep Devin. Hopefully they realize that before it's too late.

clubalien
07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
it is possible his agent is just trying to get spurs to give money
can anyone think of teams that woudl be willing to have him as a starter

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Devin is only a restricted free agent. So SA can match any offer if they want. I have a feeling they will.

timvp
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Spurs sound they may let Devin walk for any amount over the minimum. IMO, that isn't smart business.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Unless they know something about his back that we aren't privy to.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Unless they know something about his back that we aren't privy to.

Oh yeah, good point. Forgot about possible long term affects from the back injury.

SpursChampsIII
07-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Spurs management has made many sound decisions over the last few years...I suspect they'll keep Devin if it's worth their while.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 10:07 PM
If Devin is given a chance to start he should sign the contract.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 10:09 PM
If Devin is given a chance to start he should sign the contract.

Really?!?!??!?!? :lol

JUUOT
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM
this nugget team could be pretty mean. i think spurs can do well without devin. however it is never pleasant to know good talent is going to competition.

could we hope better for devin? being a starter for a title contender would be huge for him. If he has the opportunity he shoud take it this would be huge for his career

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Really?!?!??!?!? :lol
If the Spurs offer him a fair contract he signs it, even if a team were going to offer the same contract and a chance to start.

Dre_7
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
If the Spurs offer him a fair contract he signs it, even if a team were going to offer the same contract and a chance to start.

I know. And I am glad he is loyal. I was just agreeing with you. He should take the oppurtunity to start. That seems like a no brainer to me. But, then again, I aint in the NBA, so I will never know how it is.

Solid D
07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
I love watching Devin and I hope the Spurs can sign him, but I will point out that he and Malik had 2 of the worst +/- numbers on the team.

exstatic
07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Carmelo at the three? I thought his frail ass wanted to only play SG? BTW, timvp, 'Melo is NOT a strong physical presence. I don't get to catch you out very often. :lol

JsnSA
07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
For some reason I don't think the Spurs will be willing to pay too much for Devon right now.

I think the back issue may worry them some.

The Spurs usually are not the type of team to gamble by overpaying players who are injured...nor are they in a position to need to gamble.

Until that back is sorted out...paying much over the minimum just might be gambling in the spurs eyes. Remember how much a pain Dave was with his messed up back. The talent Devon posseses wont matter if he cant play due to his back flaring up.

Thats why they didnt sign Speedy to an extension before he became a FA (he always seemed to be hurt)...and thats why they won't give Devon a larger contract than other teams might be willing to.

Of course this all comes down to the true nature of his back...which I have no idea about. Maybe the Spurs do believe he is ok...which makes my post pointless.

timvp
07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Carmelo at the three? I thought his frail ass wanted to only play SG? BTW, timvp, 'Melo is NOT a strong physical presence. I don't get to catch you out very often. :lol

In theory he is. He plays a lot of the time on the block and makes a living out of scoring on smaller/weaker opponents.

But put a Bowen or Hassell on him to match his size and strength and he'll shrivel up.

clubalien
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
denver wanted manu before

timvp
07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
I love watching Devin and I hope the Spurs can sign him, but I will point out that he and Malik had 2 of the worst +/- numbers on the team.

True for the regular season. But in the 2004 playoffs versus the Lakers, Devin's +/- was off the charts high.

[/shakingtheghostsofthreadsofthepast]

:smokin

Twisted_Dawg
07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
......Denver has Spurs envy........

TheWriter
07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
and devin is really 6'2"

He's not 6'2. He's 6'4 max.

I've met the guy before.

baseline bum
07-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I like Devin, but not for a high price. With Barry and Ginobili locking down the 2-spot and Parker at the point there's not going to be many minutes for Devin. Barry still has 3 more years on his deal, and his performance from the Phoenix series on shows he's the more valuable player. The Spurs can't be paying anything remotely close to the MLE for a guy who will get spot minutes. I'd rather have Robinson back for a couple of years if it can be done. Having a talented guy like him deep on the bench is big for this team, but I think he's too good to be in the Spurs price range and the team can't give him enough minutes to justify the money they'll need to pay to bring him back.

baseline bum
07-27-2005, 10:47 PM
True for the regular season. But in the 2004 playoffs versus the Lakers, Devin's +/- was off the charts high.

[/shakingtheghostsofthreadsofthepast]

:smokin

I'm curious. What was the Turkish Vagina's +/- in that series? He was like a white Steve Smith if you glued a stupid look to his face and added a double-jelly-roll gut.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I played ball with a guy last week who could have given Devin a good run.

I guess you'd of had to have caught a lot of UTSA games to really appreciate his talent. Anything over the minimum is too much money.

TheTruth
07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm curious. What was the Turkish Vagina's +/- in that series? He was like a white Steve Smith if you glued a stupid look to his face and added a double-jelly-roll gut.
:lol

SequSpur
07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Devin's back is fine. If the Spurs are putting out bad press or just not saying shit, I would sue their asses for 100 million.

Old School Chic
07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Devin Brown Is a good player, just needs more minutes.

I think he will stay In SA.

Mr. Body
07-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I like Devin a lot and wish him luck where ever he goes, but watching him I never get a sense he's a game changer. That goes with his relatively bad +/- numbers. He always looks the most outside the Spurs system, perhaps because he looks for his shot so much. The games he does very well in are blow-outs, though, of course, he helps put them out of reach. But there were some costly plays for him during the season, including the final, needless turnover against Houston that gave McGrady the chance to nail his final three pointer that one game. If he had deflated the ball, the game would have been over.

I like him a lot. He's a fine player, but he's already 27 or so, so it just about the player he'll always be. He's nice to bring off the bench and fits a role well for the Spurs. But he's not somebody to overpay for and, in the end, I'm not so sure he's starter material. Better than Dermarr Johnson or whoever else Denver has at SG, though, that's for sure.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2005, 01:40 AM
It will be a very bad move if the Spurs let Devin go.

Mr. Body
07-28-2005, 02:07 AM
It will be a very bad move if the Spurs let Devin go.

I disagree. It would be a mildly bad move.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2005, 02:10 AM
How easily we forget his impact on games when Barry was sucking..

whottt
07-28-2005, 02:28 AM
I think I was the one that lead the "Devin is over-rated" brigade...

But that doesn't mean I don't want him on the team or think he's a bad player.

He's a good player, he just hasn't learned how to be a role player yet.

He's the best scorer we have off the bench. Neither Barry or Horry are scorers...they are good offensive players but they are not scorers. Devin is a scorer and he defend and rebound as well.

Our bench and 2g/SF rotations look ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddd ddd without Devin.

Barry and Bowen are both in their mid 30's and Manu is 28...

Barry may have been healthy last season, but traditionally he hasn't exactly been what I could call a durable player...last year was a good year for him healthwise...and Manu needs(and will continue to need) x amount of games off due to wear tear.....That leaves 34 year old Bruce Bowen as our most durable guy...and he's got the toughest job on the team. And Bowen and Barry have both seen their best days IMO.

Devin might be over-rated by Spursfans at this point(IE he's not the second coming of Michael Jordan, or even Malik Rose)...but the team needs him and he just needs to adjust his game to being a role player to be a key contributor on this team with a major impact.

The Spurs need to resign him and not get stupid with this....even if they keep LJIII...he's not the scorer Devin is. Without Devin our bench has zero scoring punch and we lose our best bench perimeter defender.

Sign the kid up...he wants to be a Spur and he took less to be here. We're going to need him more in the coming years than we did this year.

whottt
07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
How easily we forget his impact on games when Barry was sucking..

He had zero impact on games when Barry was sucking...he wasn't a game changer, as Mr Body mentioned...I pointed this out many times during the season and it was a trend that stayed the same throughout the playoffs...when Barry got minutes our offense rolled people...when he didn't it sucked and we lost, and it didn't matter what he scored. Devin's minutes made no difference and neither did his points....and I was saying this before the playoffs.

IF our offense was sucking Devin never changed it...

But...he has the ability to do it once he realizes that this isn't UTSA or the NBDL where he was the best player on the team...Devin is used to being a star, not a role player. and he didn't really know how to be one, even last year...and that's why he didn't have an impact on the team during his big scoring games.

But he can change that and I think he will...he just needs to not try and be the whole f'n show while Duncan and Manu are out there on the court...and he does often try to put on a show when he is out there...irrespective of the rest of the teams struggles...

timvp
07-28-2005, 02:40 AM
If the Spurs let him go for less than $2M a year, I'd say it's a mistake.

If Devin gets an offer around MLE money, you congratulate him and wish him well.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-28-2005, 03:03 AM

Actually Melo is a pure three which is why he has been compared to Bernard King so often. Basically they are/were not swing players, they were 3s who had no other position. Height and post up ability but not enough quickness to guard twos on the perimeter, not enough range or speed to play the two and not enough bulk or strength to play the four. There is not enough middle ground for a player like Anthony to play anything else but the three.

whottt
07-28-2005, 03:04 AM
If the Spurs let him go for less than $2M a year, I'd say it's a mistake.

If Devin gets an offer around MLE money, you congratulate him and wish him well.

I don't think Devin is going to get more than 2 million a year...

But I am starting to get the feeling that the Spurs think they can get another NBDL guy project who might be more durable and Devin won't be missed...

I think that's a mistake...I think that puts us back where we were last year.

I expect Devin to be the main guy off the bench this year...Everyone thinking Barry is going to put up better numbers at the age of 34 is on crack...he didn't put up any different numbers in game 7 than he did 70 other times...he just got to run the point...and I guess his body language was different. He's not going to change that much and he's 34 years old.

Devin OTOH...can hit open shots(something a lot our shooters struggle with at first)...he's got all the skills and IMO this is going to be the year he puts it all together and becomes our main 6th main...over Barry and over Horry.

I don't think it's a good idea to take on another project...and my gut feeling is that the Spurs are going to do something like that...they are going to bring in an inexperienced project for 700K a year or something like that...

Our bench will be weak if we do that IMO...we'll spend the entire year with a guy learning the team, and we'll have to rely on Barry for bench scoring when Pop gets pissed at the guy for not knowing the team...it won't work.

Just resign Devin and leave one less question mark.

I really don't like the approach the Spurs are taking towards their back up SF positions...we have serious age and depth issues there...and the Spurs look like they are trying to fix it on the cheap.

I don't want to do the 2001 Spurs all over again...where our team is old and our old guys all wear down in the playoffs...that sucked and was my worst experience as a Spurfan.

ducks
07-28-2005, 08:38 AM
spurs are a class act and if devin wants playing time they might just let him walk

ObiwanGinobili
07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I'd hate to see him leave San Antonio.
But if he gets offered a great oppurtunity in Denver and Spurs arn't willing to match... then I hope he takes it and I wish him luck.
After his injury I was really worried that his career might sputter and die right there..... so I'm very happy for him that he's getting all this offseason attention.

I'd just hope that SA fans give him a good cheer when he steps on our court in another teams colors... kinda let him know we always love him.

NZHayden
07-29-2005, 07:48 AM
if i was devin, i would stay at the spurs, but being a spurs fan i suppose i would say that lol

spvrs
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I love devin and think it will hurt the spurs if we don't have him (despite the fact that we didn't have him in the playoffs). He's a moma's boy and loves SA so he'd be a guy that I guess we could sign under his 'market value'.

if we got him for 3 years at a little over 2 per that would be sweet.

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Any team that outright wants to take him from the Spurs has to offer him a starting salary above the MLE. Barring that, if they want to play a game of chicken with the Spurs, then they will have to come with a lengthy offer at or near the MLE.

Frankly, I don't see that. I think the Spurs have done what they can to keep his price low by casting plenty of doubt on his ability to be the player he was before the injury.

I do not believe the Spurs want to lose Devin. They know they cannot win in a bidding war for him because a team with the cap room can outbid them. A team like Denver may make a run at him, but since all they have is the MLE then they would have to give him a long term offer to try to dissuade the Spurs from matching. Maybe that works, but undoubtedly the Spurs would keep them tied up for a week while deciding whether or not to match. That's a week the Nuggets could spend pursuing other free agent(s) with their MLE.

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 11:40 AM
In re Devin's value to the Spurs...

If he hadn't injured his back he would've been the 1st swing off the bench in the postseason and not Barry last season. He's the total package in a Spur role player and backup shooting guard. Barry's performance in the postseason was not convincing enough. Barry is nearing the end of his career while Devin has plenty of years left, assuming his back is fine.

Also, I think it's worth it to the Spurs (within reason) to keep him off a team like the Nuggets.

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Also, I think it's worth it to the Spurs (within reason) to keep him off a team like the Nuggets.

Devin going to a division or conference foe would be a bad scenario for the Spurs.

spvrs
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Any team that outright wants to take him from the Spurs has to offer him a starting salary above the MLE. Barring that, if they want to play a game of chicken with the Spurs, then they will have to come with a lengthy offer at or near the MLE.

can and will are very different things. No way spurs pay 3 million per for Devin... even starting above 2 million I doubt it