PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts: Pelicans @ Spurs 2013.11.25

will_spurs
11-26-2013, 05:10 AM
I noticed that no game thoughts were posted for the last 2 games (Grizz and Cavs), so I thought I'd go for it this time. Maybe we should have some kind of roll call with people volunteering to write some thoughts for different games? That would ensure we get Game Thoughts for every game. This kind of thread is a huge reason why I visit SpursTalk, so I'd hate to see them disappear. Besides, we might discover somebody this way who has a hidden talent for game thoughts and who would contribute them regularly.

Let's keep the Game Thoughts alive!

So... Pelicans @ Spurs. Well, the Spurs destroyed the Pelicans, as was expected. I have not been following New Orleans this year and was surprised to see they had a .500 record when they showed the division standings. They appeared to be a joke of a team to me (no offense). I actually wondered if they have a coach at all, as they don't seem to have any set plays, only isos, and their defensive scheme seems to be "stay with your man for as long as you can". This was disappointing. The NBA is in an even worse state than I thought if the Pelicans are a .500 team. I must assume they only won against other "pick-up" teams.

All in all there was no hope for the Pelicans. Even if a team has superior players, be it in athleticism or talent, but takes only contested shots, it will always lose against a team that only takes open shots... and that was the story yesterday night. The ball movement on the Spurs was impressive.

The Spurs started well with an aggressive TP (always bad news for the opponent) and managed to establish an early lead thanks to a Manu explosion (back-to-back 3s + drawing an offensive foul on the other hand). Sadly the Spurs defense collapsed at the end of the 1st and the 11-point lead shrunk to 3. The Spurs went on another run to start the 2nd quarter and this time managed to keep it, before suffocating the Pelicans in the 3rd. Slaughter is the word that comes to my mind when I think about the 3rd quarter. I think the lead grew to 32. In garbage time (a.k.a the 4th quarter), Pop went for a horrible line-up, which was one Baynes away from the absolute worst line-up the Spurs can put on the floor: Mills-Diaw-Bonner-CoJo-DeColo. Since that lineup would be competing for the 8th playoff spot in the East, it evened things out a bit and the lead went down to 25 for most of the quarter. Had Pop kept his starters on the court(or even a half-decent team), the Pelicans could easily have lost by 50.

Talking specifically about the Spurs, the ball movement was great; the players are still way too clumsy and tentative in general, leading to too many turnovers; our fast break was off last night, confusing speed and precipitation.

http://i.imgur.com/59vC0n4l.png

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/tim_duncan.png

I'm going to look at the glass half full and consider this Duncan's breakout game this year. He had rebounds, blocks and a steal. He defended quite well. He established his presence in the post, scored at a 50% clip, drew some fouls and schooled the Pelicans bigs on a few plays. He also attempted only one jump shot and it looks like the Spurs weren't calling that play at all tonight. That's a positive as far as I'm concerned as I felt there was no point in increasing Duncan's lack of confidence by having him attempt jump shot after jump shot, which then contributed to destroy the rest of his game. He looked a lot more comfortable and confident in his abilities tonight.

A-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/tony_parker.png

Parker set a good tone for this game by being aggressive early on. He was really good in limited minutes, shot well, made all his FTs (worth noting), assisted a lot and bailed his teammates out on a few plays. He still made a few iffy decisions but all in all nothing that affected the game too much. Solid outing.

B+

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/emanuel_ginobili.png

If this is really the new version of Manu, I'll gladly take it. Actually if he keeps playing that well it will definitely be the biggest story for the Spurs this season, ahead of Splitter, Diaw, Kawhi or Mills. He sparked a nice run in the 1st quarter, and played solid most of the time with great shooting (again, worth mentioning). There's always Bad Manu lurking around the corner though. His back-to-back 3s + generating an offensive foul were quickly followed by 2 bad passes and a defensive foul. About those passes, it doesn't matter in such a game, but when the going gets tough and the score is much closer, I really wish he would settle for safer plays. These potential highlight passes are always 50-50 propositions, and can't be relied on. Right now I have the impression Manu plays the same role as Mills last year, i.e. a spark off the bench. The Spurs O definitely surges when he enters the game. All in all a great game by Manu. Hopefully we'll see more of those.

A

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/tiago_splitter.png

I really wonder if getting paid by the Spurs this summer wasn't all the confidence boost that Tiago needed. He's just so much more confident. And I don't think, as has been suggested, that it has that much to do with Duncan's decline. Last night Duncan was playing well and Splitter played exactly the same he's been playing so far this season: not being pushed around any more on D, and solid on O. I'm also bewildered how a guy shooting from the hip can have such a quick release. Maybe he'll play in western movies when his career ends :lol Hard to grade him on the few minutes he had before rolling his ankles, so I'll be generous.

A

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/kawhi_leonard.png

Kawhi was everywhere tonight. He didn't shoot too well but his rebounding was great, he was going hard on fast breaks and keeping the ball alive and moving on other plays. He's also obviously good at stealing the ball, but I hope he won't start confusing that with "appropriate defense", because it isn't. Apart from that, I wish he would always play with so much energy. He tends, as was the case again, to be too passive in the 1st half, for whatever reason.

A-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/daniel_green.png

Green was invisible in the first half. He came alive in the 3rd with a lot of steals but was also making some boneheaded plays, such as shooting a contested three out of an inbound pass with a full shot clock. He's also not particularly helping his teammates, such as when Kawhi was stuck in the corner and Green ran away from him... Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

B-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/boris_diaw.png

Diaw's shot was not falling in the 1st half, but he redeemed himself in the 2nd half. Again, this guy showed that he is one of the most skilled (all-around) players in the NBA. He can literally do everything on a basketball court. For whatever reason in the 3rd quarter the Pelicans decided that leaving him alone in the post was apparently a smart defensive move. They quickly understood that it wasn't. Diaw also had the responsiblity of leading a putrid line-up in the 4th quarter, sadly he didn't take PG duties away from CoJo.

A-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/marco_belinelli.png

I wasn't sold on Belinelli before, but he's really better than Neal. If only because he can recognize a bad shot from a good one. He doesn't hesitate to shoot, but he doesn't hesitate to pass either. I'm glad with the decision-making he exhibited last night. And if he can rack a couple of rebounds and assists, all the better, such as the great connection he had with Bonner on a fast break.

A

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/patrick_mills.png

Mills has become a much smarter player than he was last year. He's really trying to model his game on Parker's, learning when to push and when to be patient--he is a lot more controlled and focused than before. He's definitely grown into the best back-up PG we've had in years. Sadly, that's only true when he plays with players of starting caliber. When playing with the garbage boys, bad habits die hard: ill-advised shots, rushed plays, bad passes, etc. It was really Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. On the other hand, he's not going to play with this kind of shitty line-up in serious games, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

A-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/jeff_ayres.png

The best thing I can say about Ayres is that he "doesn't suck", which is more than I could say of him a couple of weeks ago, and probably more than I could say of some of the end of the bench big men the Spurs had in the past. He's doing his job. Not great, not bad, just doing his job. I'll take that for now.

B

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/cory_joseph.png

Corey Jospeh sucks. As simple as that. Don't be fooled by his garbage time stats line (which can look half decent). As soon as he enters the game, the playbook goes out of the window and the Spurs start playing like the Pelicans. It's suddenly all iso plays, overly optimistic drives to the basket (dude, you're no Tony Parker) and whatnot. Ball movement dies completely. Not only is he trying too hard to impress Pop with "me me me" play, he's also killing opportunities for his teammates by being completely out of sync with the Spurs system. Whatever his qualities as a player, he simply doesn't fit. If there's a player that absolutely has to "get over himself" and start playing within the system, that's him. Mills did it (and is now light years above both CoJo and De Colo), so maybe he can do it as well. Right now there's nothing showing he intends to.

D

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/nando_de_colo.png

If CoJo was bad, De Colo was worse. I usually like him, but he just doesn't seem to get it. And what's with throwing the ball OOB after being put on your ass by an opponent? Right now he's lucky to get 6 minutes when the Spurs lead by 30. And he doesn't even deserve that much. From what he's showing, there's still a loooong way before he can considered to contribute for a NBA team.

D-

Boomersgold
11-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks, Will!

On a different note, we're 13 and 1, and timvp still hasn't made a contribution to these forums?

spurraider21
11-26-2013, 05:25 AM
picking up CoJo's option looks foolish now. he's on the books for about 2 million next year. we also for some reason gave Ayres a 2 year deal.Nando on the other hand is a 1.5 mil expiring contract. Bonner is a 3.9 mil expiring contract. there is a chance these two could pair up and actually help the spurs this year... near the trade deadline

Brazil
11-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks will ! Nice read

TJastal
11-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the well done updates on the game will_spurs, only get to see a spurs game if espn broadcasts, speaking of which they elected to run the heat-cavs game on Wednesday instead of thunder-spurs which really just shows how far their heads are up their assholes and just how much espn sucks in general. Stupid fucks.

hyhy
11-26-2013, 05:42 AM
where bonner? but :toast good job!

and on pop too

Spursfanfromafar
11-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Great read! Thanks. Please keep them coming whenever you can.

Diego20
11-26-2013, 05:50 AM
edited.

will_spurs
11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Manu B? What? Tony turns the ball over more often (this year TP is a turn over machine) and he had two turnovers yesterday. Give Manu an A when he deserves one.

The grade is after the text. Manu got an A.

TJastal
11-26-2013, 05:56 AM
picking up CoJo's option looks foolish now. he's on the books for about 2 million next year. we also for some reason gave Ayres a 2 year deal.Nando on the other hand is a 1.5 mil expiring contract. Bonner is a 3.9 mil expiring contract. there is a chance these two could pair up and actually help the spurs this year... near the trade deadline

I'm not going to complain too much about the Cojo contract, in all honesty it's not a bad idea to have him as a backup in case Parker or Mills goes down for any length of time. I'm thrilled Pop has finally decided on a pecking order and is sticking with it. Not to mention picking the right guy for the job, Mills. :clap

spurraider21
11-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Yeah, the emergence of Mills has been a godsend, though I think it's only been this successful because of the way Manu and Marco are playing on the 2nd unit, taking a lot of the playmaking and offense initiation responsibilities away from Patty.

will_spurs
11-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Yeah, the emergence of Mills has been a godsend, though I think it's only been this successful because of the way Manu and Marco are playing on the 2nd unit, taking a lot of the playmaking and offense initiation responsibilities away from Patty.

This reminds me I forgot to mention something in the game thoughts, but it can be derived from what I say about CoJo: the Spurs offense completely stalls if there's not at least one of Tony or Manu on the floor. So indeed that's a caveat when it comes to Mills, I don't think he could run the Spurs offense without their help. On the other hand it's no surprise that both players who can do it are veterans of the system (and excellent players too).

Diego20
11-26-2013, 06:08 AM
The grade is after the text. Manu got an A.

Yes, my bad. :toast

Chinook
11-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Green absolutely destroyed Gordon last night on defense. For that alone, he deserves praise. However, offensively, he's pressing too much because he's not getting the ball in his spots. He's often wide open but ignored as whoever had the ball chooses instead to throw up a wild shot or make a more difficult pass. He's out of rhythm, and it's causing him to take bad shots. Sort of like what Sean was saying in the postgame.

I also think Ayres has been a good fourth/fifth big recently. As his jump shot continues to recover, his offensive usefulness increases. He's also holding onto rebounds better than he did earlier in the year. He still hasn't found his niche in the second unit. Once he does, I think he'll put up great per-minute numbers. Remember, he seemed on his way toward being a stretch-four last season.

TJastal
11-26-2013, 06:35 AM

At the same time, Patty is learning the ropes now that he has been handed the keys, and I can see him only improving in that area as well. Don't forget, it took Parker several years of hardknock lessons to learn how to distribute the basketball and realize that his job as a point guard wasn't just about scoring. Mills really is in a unique position of having a mentor like Parker, whose career path and playstyle are so strikingly similar.

Ultimately, I think Mills is simply the right fit even taking Bellinelli away from the equation because his game complements Manu's the best. This second unit would be strong even without Bellinelli, but with him as icing on the cake they are just tearing things up.

BillMc
11-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Great write up, thanks!!:toast

BillMc
11-26-2013, 07:21 AM
I think Mills has come so far on defense. On offense the arrival of Marco, and playing with a more conservative Manu who often handles the ball, allows Patty to often effectively play shooting guard rather than point. This suits his strengths.

I also love watching Mills do a full court press so often, steal in bounds passes, etc. He's just a pest to the opponent.

Danny's defense was solid last night too.

benefactor
11-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks.

weebo
11-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Major reason the Spurs are playing so well during the first quarter of the season is chemistry. Some teams are just integrating new players, coaches, and/or philosophies. Aside from MB, everyone else (who's been getting significant minutes) has been on this team for at least a couple of years. We'll see around the all-star if this team is for real or not. Also, right now the second unit can compete with any opposing starting unit. Let's just hopes it continues through the end of the season.

Fireball
11-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Major reason the Spurs are playing so well during the first quarter of the season is chemistry. Some teams are just integrating new players, coaches, and/or philosophies. Aside from MB, everyone else (who's been getting significant minutes) has been on this team for at least a couple of years. We'll see around the all-star if this team is for real or not. Also, right now the second unit can compete with any opposing starting unit. Let's just hopes it continues through the end of the season. Well, then the upcoming game against the Thunder will tell us more, because OKC also only has new players like Lamb and Adams to integrate, which is not much of a problem because Durant and Westbrook take all shots anyway ...

elbamba
11-26-2013, 09:44 AM
ITs Mills defense that is keeping him in the games. I should say his improved defense from last year. Cory played great defense last season and really helped the Spurs give Tony some rest in the playoffs. I like keeping him around as insurance. If Mills had not upped his defense, I would prefer Cory.

Mel_13
11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
[B]Let's keep the Game Thoughts alive!

Quality job, will.

:tu

Interrohater
11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Solid job, thanks Will

MarCowMar
11-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Love the gunslinger analogy. Thanks for posting.

Spur|n|Austin
11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Nice post game write-up, Will :toast

Thanks for those contributing these after games since LJ is MIA.

Mugen
11-26-2013, 12:46 PM

I mean you're no PlayNando but this is a solid effort, will.

Whisky Dog
11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Nice write up, good idea about people taking turns just as long as they at least watch the game unlike playnando lulz

EVAY
11-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the write up, Will.

I agree with almost all of your points. Tony was in fact very aggressive starting the game. And not calling the jump shot plays for Duncan is helping everybody, Duncan and Parker included. Parker gets more assists than turnovers when Tim is not shooting jumpers, and Tim gets his confidence back by playing closer to the basket.

Splitter is doing an amazing job this year, and I think we have to give credit to the new 'big man' coach...is it Boylen ( I forget his name)?...but Splitter has never looked this good and the only difference I can see is the addition of the new coach from Houston and Indiana. Any guy who has helped Houston and Indiana's big men is clearly a good addition, and his help to Splitter cannot be denied, imo.

I'm increasingly concerned about Green's inability to handle the ball. One of the reasons that I think that the second unit does so well is that there are several good ball handlers on that squad. Whereas with the first squad, unless Diaw has started for some reason, Parker is the only real ball handler for the starters. In the second squad you normally have Ginobili, Bellinelli and Diaw, which REALLY makes the ball move well.

Bellinelli is so much better than Neal it isn't even funny. Just love the guy. He's not perfect, but he is perfectly better than Neal.

Props to the coaching staff for stabilizing Parker's free throw shooting and only calling plays for Duncan that increase his likelihood of success. If Kawhi wants to touch the ball more, he needs to control himself when he has it, which is sort of iffy nowadays. Sometimes it is beautiful, other times he can screw up the spacing so fast it boggles the mind.

Thanks again for the write up. Great to have you in here.

Cry Havoc
11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I'll give the next game a go.

Rebounds
11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks will_spurs, this is the only thread I've read here today, solid write-up.:tu

TheyCallMePro
11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice write-up man. You can be our official grades from now on! But I have some suggestions.

1) Put the grades to the side of the players. Right now it's too confusing with them being below because they're all mashed together. And make them bigger and in red (kind of like TIMVP did).

2) Give Pop a grade!

Otherwise, great analysis. I'm 100% with you on Cory Joseph. It looks like he's always trying to prove himself when he's out there. He drives in the lane hard and always takes a hard fall with like 1 minute left in the game when were up 30...it's so obvious that he's trying to impress Pop that it's just pathetic to watch.

JMGpp
11-26-2013, 03:07 PM

You did a great job while timvp was sick, I was wondering if you would step up...

(I know, 5 posts.... I´ve being reading for ages)

EVAY
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
This reminds me I forgot to mention something in the game thoughts, but it can be derived from what I say about CoJo: the Spurs offense completely stalls if there's not at least one of Tony or Manu on the floor. So indeed that's a caveat when it comes to Mills, I don't think he could run the Spurs offense without their help. On the other hand it's no surprise that both players who can do it are veterans of the system (and excellent players too).

This is totally true and has been for the last couple of years. But the second team now is so much better because they have so many GOOD ball handlers. No one else (even if they can pass well or dribble well) can run the offensive sets the way Tony and Manu can because they know the system so much better than anyone else. One of the problems with the starters is that other than Tony, there is no good ball handler/dribbler. Everybody cringes when Green or Kawhi starts dribbling very much. Tim has always been a great passer but has never been a good dribbler. Splitter knows enough not to try. Therefore, unless Tony is handling the ball, we stand a good chance of blowing the offensive set with the starters on the floor. It seems to me that everyone in the league has figured that out, and therefore Tony is getting double-teamed and always has the best defender on him now, rather than them being on Tim or Leonard.

When the first substitutions are made and Manu comes in for Green, all of a sudden things start moving quickly because there is more than one ball handler on the floor. Then Tim gets subbed by Diaw and things start moving faster than they do when Tim is on the floor.

11-26-2013, 07:19 PM
This is totally true and has been for the last couple of years. But the second team now is so much better because they have so many GOOD ball handlers. No one else (even if they can pass well or dribble well) can run the offensive sets the way Tony and Manu can because they know the system so much better than anyone else. One of the problems with the starters is that other than Tony, there is no good ball handler/dribbler. Everybody cringes when Green or Kawhi starts dribbling very much. Tim has always been a great passer but has never been a good dribbler. Splitter knows enough not to try. Therefore, unless Tony is handling the ball, we stand a good chance of blowing the offensive set with the starters on the floor. It seems to me that everyone in the league has figured that out, and therefore Tony is getting double-teamed and always has the best defender on him now, rather than them being on Tim or Leonard.

When the first substitutions are made and Manu comes in for Green, all of a sudden things start moving quickly because there is more than one ball handler on the floor. Then Tim gets subbed by Diaw and things start moving faster than they do when Tim is on the floor.
I think Kawhi could be a decent ball handler, just not in traffic. I'd like to see him run a pick n roll or two sometimes tbh.

PlayNando
11-26-2013, 07:20 PM
What's up with Ayres' gum line, tbh?

Cry Havoc
11-26-2013, 09:13 PM
You did a great job while timvp was sick, I was wondering if you would step up...

(I know, 5 posts.... I´ve being reading for ages)

Flattered to be remembered. :) I'll do my best.

TampaDude
11-27-2013, 12:04 AM
What's up with Ayres' gum line, tbh?

Yeah, really...guy's got some serious gummage!

TacoCabanaFajitas
11-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Awesome job, I was going to start back doing them after my vacation ends next week but maybe I'll let you and CryHavoc take over a while. It's time consuming as hell to watch the games and possessions multiple times a week and post in a timely manner. A weekly rotation may not be bad. Team effort!

heyheymymy
11-27-2013, 01:20 AM
another vote for cryhavoc, he has really sharp takes.

Vash StampedE
11-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Great grades!

MVPCues
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Here are my takes... on the player pics.

Timmy: Man, I probably shouldn't stay out so late at this age.

Tony: Yeah...I'd hit that.

Manu: Man, I have a perfect smile!

Tiago: OK...I might have this shit figured out.

Kawhi: Meh.

Green: Pucker up!

Boris: Live long and prosper.

Marco: Things are looking up!

Mills: I'm trying to smile...

Ayres: I got your smile right here baby!

Corey: Man...I'm never gonna get to play.

Nando: I have no clue...so I will just smile.....do you think my head is too small for my neck?

will_spurs
11-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reactions to the Game Thoughts, they definitely aren't easy to write. On the other hand it forced me to watch the game in a much less casual way. I still have difficulties assessing each player's personal influence on D. I usually rather consider D as a whole, unless one player really gets burned time and again.

Good point. Tony, Manu and Boris are the ball handlers. Kawhi isn't bad but sometimes gets too excited. Green should never have the ball in his hand if it's not to shoot or immediately pass it around.

1) Put the grades to the side of the players. Right now it's too confusing with them being below because they're all mashed together. And make them bigger and in red (kind of like TIMVP did).

2) Give Pop a grade!

1) yes, the way I did it was messy.

2) I forgot Pop and Bonner. Bonner is a known quantity at this stage: as long as he doesn't get 20 minutes of PT I'm ok with him on the floor. And I'm not sure there's really any worth giving Pop a grade in this kind of game. He was on auto pilot all the way.

Good! Let's see if we can establish a proper rotation faster than Pop :)

I mean you're no PlayNando but this is a solid effort, will.

I'm like Manu: trying to stay humble and realistic, and to play within my limitations :D

Cry Havoc
11-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reactions to the Game Thoughts, they definitely aren't easy to write. On the other hand it forced me to watch the game in a much less casual way. I still have difficulties assessing each player's personal influence on D. I usually rather consider D as a whole, unless one player really gets burned time and again.

Something that helps me on this front is that I have the game up in one monitor and a notepad up on the other. I type as I watch the plays and then I have a nice synopsis of some of the more minute aspects of the game when it's all said and done. Easier to focus on individual player performances that way instead of trying to remember everything over the course of a game. It definitely makes me more attentive, especially when the other team has the ball.

Good point. Tony, Manu and Boris are the ball handlers. Kawhi isn't bad but sometimes gets too excited. Green should never have the ball in his hand if it's not to shoot or immediately pass it around.

It should be said however that this offense is not designed to operate on isos. Ball handlers are nice, but if we have someone who can get into the lane, even if it's using a post-entry pass rather than a dribble drive, that's the catalyst for everything else. When things are going well we don't need a lot of handles on the court because everyone on the Spurs is a good passer, and that's more than enough to win 55+ games this year. Boris also commands much less respect than Duncan even at this stage, so while the ball might move more, the defense won't really think about sagging if Diaz is near the paint. At least with Duncan they still have to do the, "Wait, is he too old or should I be collapsing on h--SHIT, my man is open."

will_spurs
11-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Something that helps me on this front is that I have the game up in one monitor and a notepad up on the other. I type as I watch the plays and then I have a nice synopsis of some of the more minute aspects of the game when it's all said and done. Easier to focus on individual player performances that way instead of trying to remember everything over the course of a game. It definitely makes me more attentive, especially when the other team has the ball.

I watch the game on replay anyway, so at least I can pause it from time to time. Otherwise I just scribble down a few notes on my computer during timeouts and game breaks.