PDA

View Full Version : Which Atheists celebrate Christmas & Thanksgiving on here?

xmas1997
11-27-2013, 02:22 PM
And if you do, then what is your excuse when you sit at the dinner table and say Grace with your families, parents, etc.?
Just curious.
No offense meant.
I could care less if you're a believer or a nonbeliever.

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2013, 02:24 PM
And if you do, then what is your excuse when you sit at the dinner table and say Grace with your families, parents, etc.?
Just curious.
No offense meant.

:lol....by the way check this out it is pretty funny...but totally misleading and out of context

A_a6RjR_AHY

clambake
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
it wasn't always called christmas.

clambake
11-27-2013, 02:34 PM
and what does thanksgiving really have to do with religion?

Blake
11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Just curious.
No offense meant.

It gets awkward when I tell them I'm God and not all of them are getting into Heaven.

Big Douche
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I f you believe in A.D. you don't have that problem.

Blake
11-27-2013, 07:14 PM

sure you do, creationist.

DMC
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Just curious.
No offense meant.

We don't say grace. Funny how you think everyone's household is like yours. I never saw Thanksgiving in the Bible.

DMC
11-27-2013, 07:20 PM

lol.. the timeline featuring AD being created 525 years after it supposedly happened. Great logic MIT.

Proxy
11-27-2013, 07:22 PM
I just do it with them. Not a big deal imo

The Gemini Method
11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
DMC with the holiday goods...

Susan Boyle
11-27-2013, 10:33 PM
lol.. the timeline featuring AD being created 525 years after it supposedly happened. Great logic MIT.

Do you even know what A.D. stands for? Great logic UTSA

DMC
11-27-2013, 10:59 PM
For you, A Dumbass

I didn't attend UTSA.

Susan Boyle
11-27-2013, 11:03 PM
For you, A Dumbass

I didn't attend UTSA.

You still didn't answer the question. And sorry about the UTSA comment is it GED?

DMC
11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
You still didn't answer the question. And sorry about the UTSA comment is it GED?

Just assume I know more than you. You'll be safer that way.

Blake
11-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Mouse putting puppet show on

monosylab1k
11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanksgiving is a secular holiday and Christmas isn't a Christian holiday.

symple19
11-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanksgiving is a secular holiday and Christmas isn't a Christian holiday.

This

It has pagan roots. Christians usurped it :lol

Jacob1983
11-28-2013, 01:33 AM
You can be thankful for something without being religious. I'm sure atheists are thankful for some stuff.

phyzik
11-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Just curious.
No offense meant.

As an atheist, no offense taken at all. I respectfully stay quiet and just don't "include" myself with their silly wishing ritual. I don't berate them or denigrate them for their beliefs, even though it is obviously silly to me (they probably know I'm thinking it though). Now... if they want to question me about it and try and preach to me, I'm all hands on deck and will use their own book to make them look silly... but so far it's live and let live. Honestly, I'm itching for them to try and "convert" me tomorrow. I only came out openly as an Atheist to my family at the beginning of 2013 but they (my Aunt and Uncle) have a gay son (my cousin) so I doubt they will challenge me. Nevermind the fact that I can pretty much cite verses from the bible from memory where as they hardly have even read their own holy book (as it is with most "Christians").

Having said that, Thanksgiving has NOTHING to do with religion AT ALL... and Christmas is a PAGAN Holiday, not the birth of Christ as you were probably led to believe growing up. The church CHANGED Christ birth date to coincide with the Pagan holiday of the winter solstice to help indoctrinate pagans into the Christian belief system.

You have to ask yourself, if the Church is willing to LIE about something as important as the birth date of Christ.... What else are they telling you that is complete bullshit? (hint: pretty much everything).

DMC
11-28-2013, 01:40 AM
You can be thankful for something without being religious. I'm sure atheists are thankful for some stuff.

After I read your posts, I am thankful for a LOT of shit.

Eli Sunday
11-28-2013, 02:24 AM
I just do it with them. Not a big deal imo

I want my money back, Daniel.

Proxy
11-28-2013, 03:38 AM
I want my money back, Daniel.

http://www.goldposters.com/posterimages/3543209-bowling-pin.jpg

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Just so you know, I am not advocating religion here. And again I am not meaning any offense whatsoever.

I was eating lunch at Bill Millers yesterday while picking up a Dutch Apple pie and some giblet gravy and saw a typical family sit down to eat. The first thing they did was grab each other's hands and say Grace before they started eating. I know many families who do this, and some who are very offended if they don't.

I also saw some Thanksgiving and Christmas movies where they did this also. So I was wondering how many of you deal with it.

Most know Christ's birthday was sometime around March, but still most Christians celebrate it at Christmas anyway, and celebrate Thanksgiving as a Christian holiday to give thanks to God for all their blessings.
Whether this is good or not good, is probably not the issue. The real issue is do they try to cram it down your throats, or do they allow you the respect and freedom to believe or disbelieve, or just "be", as you choose?

How do other religions deal with this?

And what if you are visiting a family for one of these dinners and they practice this type of open worship before they eat, how do you cope with it?
Does it ever cause friction or discord? Do you see them as being ignorant, or are you tolerant, or do you feel it is an invasion of your particular feelings, or do you take a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" stance, or do you deal with it in an entirely other way altogether?

And what about those of you who believe strongly that God should be acknowledged at these get togethers, how do you cope with others disbelief? Do you allow people the freedom to believe or disbelieve as they wish, or do you impose your own beliefs on them, or do you take offense?
Just curious.

monosylab1k
11-28-2013, 07:35 AM
"when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Funny, because that's what most Christians do on Dec 25th as they get together to worship Sol Invictus.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Funny, because that's what most Christians do on Dec 25th as they get together to worship Sol Invictus.

How astute of you.
:lol
But there's nothing wrong in that either.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
We usually don't say Grace, but I have no problems if you do, or even if you want to do it here at my house.

Alex Jones
11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Just assume I know more than you. You'll be safer that way.

What about the others reading? Should they assume because you avoid to answer questions your smarter than them also?

Alex Jones
11-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Mouse putting puppet show on

Why not fix your strings so can join the fun also?

Expert
11-28-2013, 07:17 PM
What about the others reading? Should they assume because you avoid to answer questions your smarter than them also?

Absolutely.

Alex Jones
11-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Absolutely.

I never understood how you can be so inteligent and yet not be able to comb your own hair, for some reason that always bothered me.

Expert
11-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I never understood how you can be so inteligent and yet not be able to comb your own hair, for some reason that always bothered me.

Intelligent

Susan Boyle
11-28-2013, 09:41 PM
He's smart alright but can he sing?

Blake
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Why not fix your strings so can join the fun also?

I prefer to talk to other people than put socks on each hand and have them high five each other

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I prefer to talk to other people than put socks on each hand and have them high five each other

Ah ah, Blake, you have posted many times that you enjoy trolling people, rather than just talking.
And your posts attest to this fact.

Blake
11-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Ah ah, Blake, you have posted many times that you enjoy trolling people, rather than just talking.
And your posts attest to this fact.

You have a tough time with the English language.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:26 PM
You have a tough time with the English language.

If you say so.
Just repeating what you have posted to me many times when I asked why you like trolling rather than discussing an issue.

Blake
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
I say so.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
I say so.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you are Blake Almighty.

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 04:20 AM
He's smart alright but can he sing?

Strong too.......

Strong smelling, that is.

johnsmith
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Strong too.......

Strong smelling, that is.

Wow.

You may as well make a "not" joke.

Example:

Xmas, you're so funny..........not!!!!!

DJR210
12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Wow.

Example:

Lol, reminds me of that scene from Borat.

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow.

Example:

So, are both the same person?
Because you both read much the same, echo each other's comments, and laugh at your own ignominious excuses for jokes.
It'll be curious to see who this johnsmith is in real life at the GTG, that is, if and only if he has the balls to go.

leemajors
12-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Why do you think they are the same person?

exstatic
12-04-2013, 09:48 PM

They both question and disagree with him, therefore, they must be the same person.

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Their posts seem to say the same things in the same way most of the time.

leemajors
12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
They both question and disagree with him, therefore, they must be the same person.

basically.

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 10:48 PM

So why even ask me?
Just write the script and have me read it.
Or better yet, just converse with yourselves, fabricate your own reasons, and read them yourselves.

DJR210
12-04-2013, 10:54 PM

Per par. That's what this idiot and his friends do. I've been accused of being everyone from Clipper Nation, to most recently I think it was johnsmith or someone, I can't remember.

You would be better off going back upstairs, save yourself while you still can.

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Per par. That's what this idiot and his friends do. I've been accused of being everyone from Clipper Nation, to most recently I think it was johnsmith or someone, I can't remember.

You would be better off going back upstairs, save yourself while you still can.

And this is your patent schtick, you fabricate your own excuses, and then try and turn it so that the one who disagrees with you is somehow doing something wrong or idiotic.
You do this all the time, constantly.
It's boring, it fails every time, and you only end up making a worse fool of yourself.
Do you like making a fool of yourself?
If so, then are you are a glutton for punishment, a pure masochist?
No one can help you with that, even if they wanted to.

johnsmith
12-05-2013, 12:42 AM
And this is your patent schtick, you fabricate your own excuses, and then try and turn it so that the one who disagrees with you is somehow doing something wrong or idiotic.
You do this all the time, constantly.
It's boring, it fails every time, and you only end up making a worse fool of yourself.
Do you like making a fool of yourself?
If so, then are you are a glutton for punishment, a pure masochist?
No one can help you with that, even if they wanted to.

You of all people should t complain about people doing the same thing over and over again

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 05:09 AM
You of all people should t complain about people doing the same thing over and over again

Me of all people?
It's not me going around getting down on people for wanting to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow Spurs fans at a GTG.
That, my good sir, pretty much describes you.
Because some of us decide we would like to have some "real" fun, instead of more useless drivel on a meaningless web site like you do, that apparently burns you up to the point you have to belittle us and the GTG.
You tell me which is more pathetic.
Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

RandomGuy
12-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Just curious.
No offense meant.

1) Just because one has stopped buying into the superstitious origins of a holiday doesn't mean that one can't enjoy a tradition and spend a day enjoying one's family.

2) It's generally polite.

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
1) Just because one has stopped buying into the superstitious origins of a holiday doesn't mean that one can't enjoy a tradition and spend a day enjoying one's family.

2) It's generally polite.

That is basically the same approach I take, and what I would expect most on here to do, except for the trolls that is.
I was wondering what the more radical ones did, or at least the ones that come off as being radical and obtuse on this site.

Blake
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Me of all people?
It's not me going around getting down on people for wanting to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow Spurs fans at a GTG.
Because some of us decide we would like to have some "real" fun, instead of more useless drivel on a meaningless web site like you do, that apparently burns you up to the point you have to belittle us and the GTG.

You whining about being belittled is more pathetic

Bill_Brasky
12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
xmas doesn't take it seriously. don't worry.

The Gemini Method
12-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I was raised in Catholic/Buddhist/Atheist household. We celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas like no other! Guess it wasn't all that big of a deal and so religion had little influence to the holidays we were allowed to celebrate.

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
You whining about being belittled is more pathetic

No whine here, just the facts, ma'am.

xmas doesn't take it seriously. don't worry.

How right you are!

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I was raised in Catholic/Buddhist/Atheist household. We celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas like no other! Guess it wasn't all that big of a deal and so religion had little influence to the holidays we were allowed to celebrate.

Only one part of our family was deeply religious and we rarely celebrated there, but family reunions could be a little awkward sometimes.
Having been raised Catholic was never really a problem as they were never really strict, not like our Baptist family members were.
We also had a few atheists scattered here and there, but apparently blood is thicker than religious beliefs because no one on either side was offended.
Hell, there are more people on this ridiculous site who get butthurt with the slightest provocation than any of our family ever did, and these people here are strangers who don't know shit from shinola.
Go figure.

Blake
12-05-2013, 06:51 PM
No whine here, just the facts, ma'am.

How right you are!

fact is you're whining.

but you'll play it off that the rest of the forum has the reading comprehension problem, not you.

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 06:55 PM
fact is you're whining.

but you'll play it off that the rest of the forum has the reading comprehension problem, not you.

No, the fact is you apparently don't know when someone whines because if you did then you would stop whining about it and look to yourself a bit more instead of judging others so much.

Blake
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
No, the fact is you apparently don't know when someone whines because if you did then you would stop whining about it and look to yourself a bit more instead of judging others so much.

I'm not whining or judging. I'm just pointing out your whining, which is in fact by definition whining.

I'm also not telling you to stop. Whine all you want.

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm not whining or judging. I'm just pointing out your whining, which is in fact by definition whining.

I'm also not telling you to stop. Whine all you want.

How can you tell someone to stop something they aren't doing? That makes no sense unless you are making it up or whining yourself.
If so, then you are the one who needs to stop, so tell yourself to quit whining, unless you don't want to quit whining.
If that is the case, then by all means keep whining about someone imaginary whining.

johnsmith
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Me of all people?

Tbh, your schtick has changed so many times on here I can't keep up...first you were neutral guy, then you weren't, then you were GTG guy, then you were "I don't take this serious" guy, and now you're "I'm above all this" guy.

You come off as condescending and dumb...which isn't a good combo. If I wanted to be told how to act, I would prefer it come from a guy that has more then a 10th grade education and a 6th grade sense of humor.

Just keep organizing your GTG, stop trying to sound smart (you sound like Mike Tyson circa 1994), and pick one "thing" on here.

Oh, and I'll save you some time: no, I'm not coming to the GTG that will never happen.

:lmao

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Tbh, your schtick has changed so many times on here I can't keep up...first you were neutral guy, then you weren't, then you were GTG guy, then you were "I don't take this serious" guy, and now you're "I'm above all this" guy.

You come off as condescending and dumb...which isn't a good combo. If I wanted to be told how to act, I would prefer it come from a guy that has more then a 10th grade education and a 6th grade sense of humor.

Just keep organizing your GTG, stop trying to sound smart (you sound like Mike Tyson circa 1994), and pick one "thing" on here.

Oh, and I'll save you some time: no, I'm not coming to the GTG that will never happen.

:lmao

Then I'll be more than happy to expunge you from the list.
Your loss.
Odd you mention Mike Tyson because I was going to say the same thing about you.
Must be an affliction of yours. Whatever, I can't help you with it. You'll have to tackle that all on your own.
And speaking of lame humor, well, that is easily summed up in one word, "johnsmith".
Sorry to be so blunt about it, but sometimes that is the only way to get it through some rather dense headed individuals.
But don't stop trying on my account, I'm quite sure someone in this universe will find you amusing.
Actually, now that I consider it, I find you amusing, just barely.
Keep looking for that writer too. That will cut down on how foolish you are making yourself look.
Oh, and good luck.

Blake
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
How can you tell someone to stop something they aren't doing? That makes no sense unless you are making it up or whining yourself.
If so, then you are the one who needs to stop, so tell yourself to quit whining, unless you don't want to quit whining.
If that is the case, then by all means keep whining about someone imaginary whining.

by definition, you're a whiner.

Keep whining that you're not. :tu

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 10:29 PM
by definition, you're a whiner.

Keep whining that you're not. :tu

Who's definition, Blake Almighty's?
I'm not whining that I'm not.
I'm telling you that I'm not.
Big big difference.
But you seem to enjoy "whining" that I am, even though you are in denial about it.
That's ok.
Keep working on it, you're bound to eventually get it right, the odds may be stacked against you, but all it takes is one hit.

johnsmith
12-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Then I'll be more than happy to expunge you from the list.
Your loss.
Odd you mention Mike Tyson because I was going to say the same thing about you.
Must be an affliction of yours. Whatever, I can't help you with it. You'll have to tackle that all on your own.
And speaking of lame humor, well, that is easily summed up in one word, "johnsmith".
Sorry to be so blunt about it, but sometimes that is the only way to get it through some rather dense headed individuals.
But don't stop trying on my account, I'm quite sure someone in this universe will find you amusing.
Actually, now that I consider it, I find you amusing, just barely.
Keep looking for that writer too. That will cut down on how foolish you are making yourself look.
Oh, and good luck.

LOL!!!! Tbh, no one throws out the "I know you are but what am I" with the frequency that you do.

You even said this time, "I was totally gonna say that".

Sure you were guy, sure you were.

xmas1997
12-05-2013, 11:27 PM
LOL!!!! Tbh, no one throws out the "I know you are but what am I" with the frequency that you do.

You even said this time, "I was totally gonna say that".

Sure you were guy, sure you were.

No, really, I was! :lol
I had it all planned out.
In fact I thought of it months and months ago.

Blake
12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Who's definition, Blake Almighty's?
I'm not whining that I'm not.
I'm telling you that I'm not.
Big big difference.
But you seem to enjoy "whining" that I am, even though you are in denial about it.
That's ok.
Keep working on it, you're bound to eventually get it right, the odds may be stacked against you, but all it takes is one hit.

whine[ hwahyn, wahyn ]verb (used without object)

2. to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way:*He is always whining about his problems.

Blake
12-06-2013, 09:56 AM
....that apparently burns you up to the point you have to belittle us and the GTG.

:cry poor xmas getting belittled

xmas1997
12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
:cry poor xmas getting belittled

Are you a belittler?