PDA

View Full Version : United States of America

DAF86
11-28-2013, 03:13 AM
That's your country's name, use it. Don't steal my Continent's name. Thanks.

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Suck our North American cock, I'm not gonna say 9 syllables. Although I do say "the U.S." almost all the time so this thread isn't aimed at me

Trainwreck2100
11-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Don't know many americans that call our country South America

lefty
11-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Ummmmmmurikaaaaaaa

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Is it really an issue one way or the other?

I always say I am Texan first, American second, US of A third, for what it's worth.
After all, Texas was a Republic, it's own country, before it became a State.
Thus it is the only State allowed to fly its flag at the same level as the USA flag, and allowed to split up into four States if so desired, as well as allowed to legally secede from the Union if it wanted to, among other things.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Don't know many americans that call our country South America

My continent is America, tbh. That's how was tought to me. And I suppose your Continent is America too or else I don't understand your Country's name. Why not named it "United States of North America" is you don't consider to be part of all America?

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Because there wasn't already a United States of America that required more specificity. It would've been retarded

DAF86
11-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Because there wasn't already a United States of America that required more specificity. It would've been retarded

But, if you consider yourself to be part of the Continent "North America" not the Continent "America", why the hell would you call your country "United States of America"? Shit just doesn't make sense.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 03:10 PM
But, if you consider yourself to be part of the Continent "North America" not the Continent "America", why the hell would you call your country "United States of America"? Shit just doesn't make sense.

Don't see the dispute.
North America is part of all of the Americas in the whole continent. The USA is in North America, as is Mexico and Canada.
And argument could be made that Mexico is part of Central America, but it is all the continent of America, North, Central, and South.
Where's the dispute?
:lol

m>s
11-28-2013, 03:12 PM
The USA won't even exist in its current state in 10 years, moot argument

DAF86
11-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Don't see the dispute.
North America is part of all of the Americas in the whole continent. The USA is in North America, as is Mexico and Canada.
And argument could be made that Mexico is part of Central America, but it is all the continent of America, North, Central, and South.
Where's the dispute?

That's another thing that makes me cringe when I hear it: "The Americas". What the fuck is that? :lol

That's some shit you invented so you can keep yourself calling "America". When Colombus came here he named the whole thing "America" not "Americas".

resistanze
11-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Suck our North American cock, I'm not gonna say 9 syllables. Although I do say "the U.S." almost all the time so this thread isn't aimed at me

Surprised you don't call it 'Middle Earth' tbh

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 03:34 PM
That's another thing that makes me cringe when I hear it: "The Americas". What the fuck is that? :lol

That's some shit you invented so you can keep yourself calling "America". When Colombus came here he named the whole thing "America" not "Americas".

Don't blame me, I didn't name it such. That was done ages ago.
The continent of America is made up of three areas, North, Central, and South.
Common simple 3rd grade geography.

DeadlyDynasty
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
We have a history of stealing things and improving them. Deal with it.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Don't blame me, I didn't name it such. That was done ages ago.
The continent of America is made up of three areas, North, Central, and South.
Common simple US 3rd grade geography.

Fixed, tbh.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Fixed, tbh.

You had best reread my post.
Just because you changed my words in your quote does not make it so.
That is 5th grade tactics.
Geez, more conditioned ignorance going on here.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 03:52 PM
You had best reread my post.
Just because you changed my words in your quote does not make it so.
That is 5th grade tactics.
Geez, more conditioned ignorance going on here.

I'm telling you that in some other countries that North, Central and South America ditinction as different Continents isn't made.

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Because it's shorter you stupid chud. They didn't need to get that specific. You should've understood that from my last post.

And to your other obsession about what constitutes a continent, Europe definitely shouldn't be considered one. In this country we use North and South America because they're only connected by a point that's smaller than Rhode Island (not even connected anymore)

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Because it's shorter you stupid chud. They didn't need to get that specific. You should've understood that from my last post.

And to your other obsession about what constitutes a continent, Europe definitely shouldn't be considered one. In this country we use North and South America because they're only connected by a point that's smaller than Rhode Island (not even connected anymore)

Except for the insult, this is a very rational post IMHO.

DMC
11-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Columbus didn't name the continents. That was done by a map maker. South America is actually a subcontinent on the American continent.

The Reckoning
11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
lol any other country in america thinking they're relevant other than the US.

it's american, not estadounidense, puto.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 07:28 PM
lol any other country in america thinking they're relevant other than the US.

it's american, not estadounidense, puto.

But is it puto and not faggot?

DAF86
11-28-2013, 07:33 PM

If the folks that named your country had a problem with long things they wouldn't have given it the retarded long ass name they gave it, tbh.

I have no obsession, tbh. In my country and most of others America is considered one Continent, in the US this is not the case. I know that. And why shouldn't Europe be considered a Continent? Who are you to decide what constitutes a Continent?

baseline bum
11-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I have no obsession, tbh. In my country and most of others America is consider one Continent, in the US this is not the case. I know that. And why shouldn't Europe be considered a Continent? Who are you to decide what constitutes a Continent?

No one gives a shit what you learn in Mexican schools tbh

Rogue
11-28-2013, 08:58 PM
what US is to america is similar to what England is to the Britain Island imho.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:02 PM
If the folks that named your country had a problem with long things they wouldn't have given it the retarded long ass name they gave it, tbh.

I have no obsession, tbh. In my country and most of others America is considered one Continent, in the US this is not the case. I know that. And why shouldn't Europe be considered a Continent? Who are you to decide what constitutes a Continent?

The statement in bold is wrong in so many ways it isn't even funny.
Most in the US call it the United States. We don't even bother with the America part, and especially so on mailing addresses, which is where it is used most often.
A typical address would be:
Mr. Blah blah
1234 Blah Blah St.
San Antonio, Tx. Zip code
U.S.

And military names also reflect this such as the USS Enterprise, etc.

The only one with an obsession appears to be you, sorry.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:11 PM
I was talking about how we don't separate the Continent in North, Central and South down here and the dude goes on a tangent talking about mail adresses. :lol

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I was talking about how we don't separate the Continent in North, Central and South down here and the dude goes on a tangent talking about mail adresses. :lol

What I said applies to that too.
We in the US say we are the United States of America, not the United States of the Americas (plural), nor the United States of North America. And most of the time we don't even use the "of America" part.
This whole thing is all in your mind only.
Sorry to be so frank, and pop your bubble.
It is what it is.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:19 PM
What I said applies to that too.
We in the US say we are the United States of America, not the United States of the Americas (plural), nor the United States of North America. And most of the time we don't even use the "of America" part.
This whole thing is all in your mind only.
Sorry to be so frank, and pop your bubble.
It is what it is.

How many Continents are there in the World?

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 11:20 PM

If you wanna combine both Americas as 1 continent then Europe is nowhere near its own continent, it's just a peninsula. I'm sorry your country and others are so confused.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:23 PM

I give up, how many?
I'm waiting for the punch line.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:24 PM
I give up, how many?
I'm waiting for the punch line.

Srsly, I want you to answer the question the way it was tought to you so I can explain you what I'm trying to say.

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 11:25 PM

We're taught 7

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
If you wanna combine both Americas as 1 continent then Europe is nowhere near its own continent, it's just a peninsula. I'm sorry your country and others are so confused.

Nobody is confused son, some places is tought one way, some the other.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:30 PM
We're taught 7

We're taught 6. That's what I was trying to say xmas1997. Nothing more, I don't know what you were getting, tbh.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Wait. Where does Central America end up on this 7 Continents division? :lol

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:33 PM
It's been awhile, but I used to love geography so bear with me I may miss one.

1. North America
2. South America
3. Europe
4. Asia
5. Australia
6. Africa
7. Antarctica
Did I get them all?
Isn't this what you were taught too?

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:36 PM
It's been awhile, but I used to love geography so bear with me I may miss one.

1. North America
2. South America
3. Europe
4. Asia
5. Australia
6. Africa
7. Antarctica
Did I get them all?
Isn't this what you were taught too?

Nope.

1-America
2-Europe
3-Asia
4-Oceania (Australia)
5-Africa
6-Antartica

Where does Central America go in your list?

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Wait. Where does Central America end up on this 7 Continents division? :lol

Central America is nothing more than the central geographic region of the Americas.
That is what we were taught. Just as North America is the northern region of the Americas and South America is the southern region of the Americas.
America is actually two continents, but an argument could be made that it is just one. An equal argument could be made that Europe is not a continent but part of Asia.

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Central America is nothing more than the central geographic region of the Americas.
That is what we were taught. Just as North America is the northern region of the Americas and South America is the southern region of the Americas.
America is actually two continents, but an argument could be made that it is just one. An equal argument could be made that Europe is not a continent but part of Asia.

So the countries in Central America form part of no Continent?

CubanSucks
11-28-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm saying it makes zero sense to consider Europe, a small peninsula on the biggest piece of land on Earth, as a continent, yet you combine 2 huge land masses that WERE only connected at a point around 50 miles long (Panama Canal). I don't care what you were taught, but do you see my point?

CuckingFunt
11-28-2013, 11:46 PM

Central American countries are considered part of the North American continent.

xmas1997
11-28-2013, 11:47 PM

It is considered a subcontinent.
The countries in the southern most isthmian portion of North America known as Central America are:
1. Belize
2. Costa Rica
3. El Salvador
4. Guatemala
5. Honduras
6. Nicaragua
7. Panama

DAF86
11-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm saying it makes zero sense to consider Europe, a small peninsula on the biggest piece of land on Earth, as a continent, yet you combine 2 huge land masses that WERE only connected at a point around 50 miles long (Panama Canal). I don't care what you were taught, but do you see my point?

Sure. I was just saying how I was taught.

xmas1997
11-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Sure. I was just saying how I was taught.

You were not taught that the Americas were actually two continents, or rather two continents and a subcontinent?
Are we talking university level here, or what?

DAF86
11-29-2013, 12:24 AM
You were not taught that the Americas were actually two continents, or rather two continents and a subcontinent?
Are we talking university level here, or what?

lol son. For YOU it's two Continents, down here it's just one. In most parts of Europe is also taught America as only one Continent, probably in most part of the World, tbh.

xmas1997
11-29-2013, 12:25 AM
lol son. For YOU it's two Continents, down here it's just one. In most parts of Europe is also taught America as only one Continent, probably in most part of the World, tbh.

You're shitting me, right?

DAF86
11-29-2013, 12:27 AM
You're shitting me, right?

Don't know if serious, tbh. :lol

xmas1997
11-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Don't know if serious, tbh. :lol

Why would the worlds academic community be split like that?

DAF86
11-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Why would the worlds academic community be split like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Now I understand all your weird rants. You were lost as fuck as what I was trying to say. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2013, 12:32 AM
United :lol

xmas1997
11-29-2013, 12:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Now I understand all your weird rants. You were lost as fuck as what I was trying to say. :lol

After doing a bit of research I just found out that most Spanish speaking countries say it is just one continent, whereas most English speaking countries consider it to be two.
That is fucking weird that they can't make a decision on something this major.
I think I agree that America is just one continent though even though the Panama Canal cuts into two these days.
I still don't see why Europe is considered a continent.
It should be called Eurasia.
I do understand Oceanica though.

The Reckoning
11-29-2013, 01:22 AM
lol non-americans not educated about the continents. no wonder you've been in a constant state of civil war since el spaniards pulled out of the shithole known as non-USA america. you don't deserve to be called AMERICANs, much less united.

DAF86
11-29-2013, 02:37 AM
lol non-americans not educated about the continents. no wonder you've been in a constant state of civil war since el spaniards pulled out of the shithole known as non-USA america. you don't deserve to be called AMERICANs, much less united.

Yeah, you're the only ones that got it right. The rest of the World is wrong.

DAF86
11-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Just like with the inches measurement system. Is so much more precise and makes so much more sense than the metric system.

DeadlyDynasty
11-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Just like with the inches measurement system. Is so much more precise and makes so much more sense than the metric system.
Yup, I'll give you this one...everything in medicine is based off the metric system and drug calcs used to be a pain in the ass for me tbh.

Katherine Robinson
11-29-2013, 03:55 AM
The entire continent of South America has a smaller GDP than the top 3 states of the US (economic ranking). The US is America on the world stage and thusly its residents are called Americans by people around the world.

CubanSucks
11-29-2013, 04:46 AM

Let's not get into that please. And like DD said, it's not as if we don't use the metric system for everything that actually matters

Samuel Eto'o
11-29-2013, 01:28 PM
This thread is worse than Manu's playoff performance since 07

DAF86
11-29-2013, 02:19 PM
This thread is worse than Manu's playoff performance since 07

That's almost as bad as any professional team from Dallas right now.

DMC
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM

In modern English, Americans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans) generally refers to residents of the United States; among native English speakers this usage is almost universal, with any other use of the term requiring specification.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_%28word%29#cite_note-Wilson-1) However, this default use has been the source of controversy, particularly among Latin Americans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Americans), who feel that using the term solely for the United States misappropriates it.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_%28word%29#cite_note-Mencken-2)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_%28word%29#cite_note-Gage-3)

This makes me wonder why they choose the name "Latin America" instead of just "America".

You can bet your sweet Manu loving ass that if you were abroad and someone accused you of being an American, you would deny it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Surprised you don't call it 'Middle Earth' tbh

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM

:lmao "we don't separate the continent"

I guess China and France are both in the same "Eurasia" continent :lol

DAF86
11-30-2013, 02:38 PM
:lmao "we don't separate the continent"

I guess China and France are both in the same "Eurasia" continent :lol

We do separate Europe and Asia.

m>s
11-30-2013, 03:05 PM
grade school geography education must be shit in argentina tbh..needs more nazi refugees in order to uplift that country

DAF86
12-01-2013, 09:59 PM
grade school geography education must be shit in argentina tbh..needs more nazi refugees in order to uplift that country

I think in Germany is taught the same way as down here, tbh.