PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck for Boy Scouts

sa_butta
07-28-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/28/scouts.jamboree/index.html

Hundreds of Boy Scouts fall ill from heat

(CNN) -- A Boy Scout National Jamboree marred by the deaths of four people weathered another blow Wednesday in Virginia when about 300 Scouts and adults suffered symptoms resulting from the 100-degree afternoon heat, a spokesman for the organization said.

Thousands of Scouts had gathered in Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia, for the opening ceremonies, which were canceled because of "heat-related health concerns" and the threat of severe thunderstorms.

The heavy rain, accompanied by lightning, also forced President Bush to postpone his planned speech to the Jamboree. The speech was rescheduled for Thursday evening, the White House said.

The Jamboree has drawn more than 42,000 Scouts and their leaders to the Army installation about 75 miles south of Washington.

"We are deeply concerned for every person affected by the heat, and we sincerely hope they are back on their feet and back to enjoying the Jamboree soon," Scout spokesman Gregg Shields said.

"The overriding concern is always safety," he said. Shields said Jamboree participants were given bottles of water and sprayed with water because of the heat and humidity.

Scout leaders plan to meet Thursday morning to determine how to handle that day's events, according to Shields. Updates will be posted at www.bsajamboree.com.

Most of those affected by the heat were treated on site, many at the Army base's Wilcox Camp, Shields said.

More than 30 people were taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg and Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond, spokesmen at those hospitals said.

No one had been admitted as of late Wednesday.

Dr. Tom Ryan at Mary Washington said patients taken there were treated for minor symptoms such as cramped muscles, excessive sweating, rapid heart beat, dizziness, nausea and general weakness. None of them suffered from the more serious illness of heat exhaustion, he said.

Some people still were being treated late Wednesday, Mary Washington spokeswoman Kathleen Allenbaugh said.

Authorities in surrounding communities told CNN that numerous ambulances, including military helicopters, were dispatched to the Jamboree, which is held every four years.

On Monday, three Scout leaders from Alaska and one from Ohio were electrocuted when a tent pole they were installing struck an overhead power line.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said he expected Bush to talk about the accident during his remarks.

ObiwanGinobili
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
uhm.....they didn't pack up and go home after those 4 guys died??
dear lord.

PREDICTION:
Tommarow's headline will be:
"Boyscout National Jamboree Whipped out by Freak Tsunami"

Shelly
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
My next door neighbor's son is at that Jamboree. Hopefully, he wasnt' in the area where those people died.

cmc$purs
07-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Why werent they prepared for this ?
just wondering

SWC Bonfire
07-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Imagine that, having to drink water when it's hot? The horrid conditions they must endure!

Maybe if they weren't sitting in front of their video games in A/C all day they would be better equipped. I know I'd rather be outside right now instead of at my desk.

sa_butta
07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
I guess boy scouts are not what they use to be.

bigzak25
07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
you want to see bad luck? :lol

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/WTF/MichaelJacksonBoyScouts.jpg

TheTruth
07-28-2005, 09:53 AM
^ :lmao