PDA

View Full Version : Marco vs Danny starting?

jermaine
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
If you want defense you go with Danny? But if you want everything else you go with Marco? I like Marco an I think his shot an his creativity should put him in the starting lineup!

hyhy
11-29-2013, 08:08 PM
We dun need creativity in the starting line up. Its just hero ball there.

Darius McCrary
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
If you want defense you go with Danny? But if you want everything else you go with Marco? I like Marco an I think his shot an his creativity should put him in the starting lineup!

Nah, no way jermaine. Danny has earned his stripes and is our starting SG.
Belli is still unproven and has shown a tendency to chunk bad shots.

freetiago
11-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Marcos playmaking and ballhandling is needed in the bench so we dont get too much Turnobili
Parker will dominate the ball so Marco cant do much with the starters
Danny is the perfect fit playing elite D on point guards so Parker can rest and he hits 3s at consistently one of the best clips in the league

spurraider21
11-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Marco and Manu play so well together on the 2nd unit, I wouldn't change it. With Parker, Duncan (hopefully will maintain what we saw today), Leonard, Splitter, its a perfect fit to have a 3 and D guy like Danny. i don't think a lineup with the other 4 is really in dire need of a creator

Brutalis
11-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Nah. Marco is a better spark off the bench than Danny would be.

exstatic
11-29-2013, 10:24 PM
The reason they got Beli was to HELP GINOBILI NOT HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING FOR THE BENCH. In recent years he's had to create for himself and for the entire bench, and it ultimately wore him out.

Manu really hasn't had a creative running buddy with the second unit since Barry.

Sean Cagney
11-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Nah. Marco is a better spark off the bench than Danny would be.

I agree.

mingus
11-29-2013, 10:30 PM
No because against elite teams Danny is needed defensively in the sl.

chapnis
11-29-2013, 11:18 PM
No need to break up the Patty/Manu/Beli/Diaw bench crew.

look_at_g_shred
11-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Nope. Not for it. Manu and Marco is a deadly duo off the bench!

cd021
11-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Marco was a net negative player last season playing a major role on a top tier Bulls defense (they were still in the top 8 despite plenty of injuries including Deng). Green had a nice net positive. Advanced stats aside, Green is the type of player that needs to start. Putting him on the floor with the best available players to help bring out his best attribute (3pt shooting). He has also shown versatility defensively. Defending PG, SG and even SFs with success.

Marco is a great 20 mpg player off the bench. The type that plays well without ruining the offensive flow. The Diaw, Ginobili, Marco, and Mills rotation is among the best benches the Spurs have had and couple be the best in team history in time.

Russo21
11-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Was hoping Danny would have a breakout season but he's been a tad disappointing. Leave him in the starting lineup though, the bench needs Marco. Danny needs to play with Tim and Tony to get his looks.

temujin
11-30-2013, 06:11 AM
The reason they got Beli was to HELP GINOBILI NOT HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING FOR THE BENCH. In recent years he's had to create for himself and for the entire bench, and it ultimately wore him out.

Manu really hasn't had a creative running buddy with the second unit since Barry.

This.

Baam
11-30-2013, 06:58 AM
I think starting Beli could be smart in the sense that Pop ends up having to start Manu every year in the POs and it ends badly... Marco being a better shooter than the current Manu would be a great fit on paper offensively. The problem is that the defense would take a big hit... Pretty sure Beli can't shut down Steph Curry... Personally I'd do it but only if they then trade Green for someone like Karasev or Snell + picks.

The current formula is not optimal imo : 3 creators off the bench vs 1 in the starting five doesn't make much sense... The bench is weak defensively and the starters are overly predictable...

Start Marco, get Snell and the Bulls picks. You get more creativity in the first unit, a project SG that could defend the great 6th man kind of guards... And picks for the future...

But then only get one "stopper" in the first unit, but arguably at the most important position.

Baam
11-30-2013, 07:05 AM

No the reason was to have another Manu in case the tosb sucks too much and needs to be benched. We saw against OKc that there's isn't many minutes for 3 SG against the most dangerous team in the West... And the last two years the problem wasn't with Manu off the bench, Spurs got eliminated with Manu starting...

jermaine
11-30-2013, 08:27 AM
What about in crunch time? Who plays Manu, Green, or Marco? Each has a strong case!

TrueSpursFan
12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
So what do y'all still think? Would pop move Danny to the bench and move Marco to the starting lineup? I'm curious because I'm gonna get one of those SuperSub Bros. shirts and am wondering if it will be a waste if Marco becomes a starter.

exstatic
12-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Marco's worst game as a Spur was the single game he started at PHO.

TXstbobcat
12-21-2013, 12:24 AM
I like Marco as a spark off the bench.

TheGoldStandard
12-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Marco off the bench all day but Danny looks like a real scrub this season. Flashes here and there of who he was last year but starting to slide back into mediocre player who bites on every pump fake.

Kidd K
12-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Rather than throw Danny Green under the bus, it'd be a lot better to get behind the guy and hope he can recapture the magic of last season where he was excellent. Let's stop being crybabies for a second and admit that we wouldn't have even gotten to games 6 and 7 without Danny Green last season. He was carrying a very large offensive load and was very efficient at that.

We need both guys, and I'm in agreement with those that say Green and Belinelli work best in their current roles. We need Green to play a bit better and not to just keep shitting on him and hope Pop stops playing him in favor of a guy who's not going to be playing tons of minutes per game anyway. What we're getting out of Bel is about the maximum we're ever going to. No reason to fuck with that hoping to get even more.

Darkwaters
12-21-2013, 02:35 AM
What about in crunch time? Who plays Manu, Green, or Marco? Each has a strong case!

You play the hot hand. Things like this aren't always pre-determined.

Baam
12-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Starting Marco allows to trade Green for a SF, that'd make the team way more balanced...

Baam
12-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Marco and Manu play so well together on the 2nd unit, I wouldn't change it. With Parker, Duncan (hopefully will maintain what we saw today), Leonard, Splitter, its a perfect fit to have a 3 and D guy like Danny. i don't think a lineup with the other 4 is really in dire need of a creator

Well it's going to change since it won't fly in the POs...

Raven
12-21-2013, 08:43 AM

that is so wrong and cancerous.

Chomag
12-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Something Pop never does. Pop> hot hand

jermaine
12-21-2013, 09:58 AM
After watching more an more of Manu with Marco, I dont want him to start anymore. In order to play with Tony who have to stand an shoot. Manu is a waaaaay better passer, which Marco needs. I vote no start for Marco. Plus I like those Super Subs shirts. : )

timmy2003
12-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Agree. Danny excels in defense, Manu in playmaking and Marco in his shooting ability

wildbill2u
12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't agree about Green being a great defender. He'll show flashes of defensive skills and then wander around lost at times. Just like his shooting, he isn't consistent.

And his ball handling continues to be bush league. Give him the ball with any responsibility to bring it up court or even make moves in the offense and he looks like a deer in the headlights.

Without the pressure of starting, He might actually thrive off the bench as a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. I'm sure Pop is also looking at the box stats and wondering what he is doing on the court as a starter.

Raven
12-21-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't agree about Green being a great defender. He'll show flashes of defensive skills and then wander around lost at times. Just like his shooting, he isn't consistent.

And his ball handling continues to be bush league. Give him the ball with any responsibility to bring it up court or even make moves in the offense and he looks like a deer in the headlights.

Without the pressure of starting, He might actually thrive off the bench as a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. I'm sure Pop is also looking at the box stats and wondering what he is doing on the court as a starter.

among those who played enough, Danny Green has the 2nd defensive rating in the league, behind Tiago and ahead of Hibbert. And that is despite defending for two (which is why you see him flying around so often).

Johnny RIngo
12-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Green definitely makes an impact on defense:

Defense: Pts per 100 Poss:

On Court: 92.1
Off-court: 104.4
Net: -12.3

That's really, really good. On the flip side, his On/Off numbers on offense have been horrendous but his defense is legit.