PDA

View Full Version : Gooden says he's not going anywhere

Kori Ellis
07-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Gooden says he's not going anywhere
BOB FINNAN, Morning Journal Writer
07/28/2005

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14935799&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

WILLOUGHBY -- Cavaliers power forward Drew Gooden heard the whispers like everyone else.

After the Cavaliers agreed on a four-year, $22 million contract with free agent Donyell Marshall on July 19, the league's rumor mill began to churn.

Gossip started that the 6-foot-10, 242-pound Gooden would be traded.

''There were rumors,'' Gooden said yesterday at his basketball camp at Andrews School in Willoughby. ''After talking to Danny Ferry, they are not shopping me around. Teams call and are interested. That's a plus for me because I know that teams want me.''

Ferry, the Cavaliers general manager, agreed that Gooden probably wouldn't be traded.

''He's a part of the team,'' he said. ''(Coach) Mike (Brown) is excited to coach him next year. Drew is someone who can help us.''

Marshall, a top 3-point shooter, is thought of as a bench player by the Cavaliers.

Gooden said he wasn't upset when Marshall was added to the mix.

''I have trust in the organization,'' he said. ''It was a good move for our team. I think everyone sees that.''

He assumes the 6-9, 230-pound Marshall will come off the bench. However, he's not 100 percent sure.

''You never know until opening day and you can get a better feel and see which group plays better together,'' Gooden said.

He said he'd have no problem coming off the bench.

''Whatever it takes for us to win ball games and whatever it takes for me to be here, I'll do,'' he said.

Gooden, 23, was the only Cavaliers player to appear in all 82 games last season (80 starts). He averaged 14.4 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.6 assists. The Kansas product set career highs in almost every statistical category.

Gooden said he's upbeat about the Cavaliers' moves this summer (they also agreed to contracts with center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and shooting guard Larry Hughes).

''I love the moves,'' he said. ''It makes us talented and deep.''

He said he thinks the additions make the Cavaliers a solid playoff contender.

''Potentially, yes,'' Gooden said. ''But I felt we were a playoff team last year. We were one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference.''

The Cavaliers aren't done just yet. They're still in the market for a point guard. The Cavaliers took restricted free agent Marko Jaric to dinner on Tuesday night at Gordon's in downtown Cleveland.

Ferry, assistant GM Lance Blanks, Brown and assistant coach Hank Egan dined with Jaric and agent Bill Duffy. Gooden, also represented by Duffy, said he also attended.

''It was a very positive meeting,'' Duffy said. ''I think he's a perfect fit (with the Cavaliers).''

Duffy was in attendance at Gooden's Blue Streak Sports camp.

The Cavaliers might not have enough cap space to sign Jaric. Unless the cap comes in way over estimates (the Cavaliers were reportedly using a conservative figure of $48.5 million), they'll have to get creative to land Jaric.

''I would say that's accurate,'' Duffy said.

If they can't work out a deal for Jaric, the Cavaliers could turn their attention to Heat point guard Damon Jones.

Kori Ellis
07-28-2005, 11:31 AM
If they can't work out a deal for Jaric, the Cavaliers could turn their attention to Heat point guard Damon Jones.

I think someone is going to end up getting Damon Jones for relatively little money. The Heat have reportedly offered him only 3years/$9M.

Joesteds
07-28-2005, 11:33 AM
I like Gooden in a platoon with Marshall. If the guy can give you 14 and 9 thats pretty damn good. I would keep him unless he starts getting upset over his decrease in playing time that is sure to come. Jaric would probably be a lot better sign than Damon Jones, and they would then have the most versatile backcourt in a long time.

spur219
07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Well Damon Jones is good but 3years for $9mill sounds about right.