PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Sumlin Signs 6 Year Extension with Texas A&M

Sisk
11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Early rumors are here turned down a big push from USC. What source do you need to get off of this board, Benefactor? I wont force you out with Billy Liucci saying it, but what is it going to take?

benefactor
11-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Formal offer or gtfo.

benefactor
11-30-2013, 04:34 PM
And :lol trying to cite Aggie's lapdog reporter

benefactor
11-30-2013, 04:41 PM
All I can find are rumors tbh...and it those same rumors Gruden is mentioned as well. All smoke, no fire.

Sisk
11-30-2013, 04:42 PM
All I can find are rumors tbh...and it those same rumors Gruden is mentioned as well. All smoke, no fire.

I'll go back and look, but didn't we discuss this? USC isn't going to come out and say they offered him. It will strictly be rumors...

Vito Corleone
11-30-2013, 04:42 PM
USC hasn't offered anyone anything yet, with the losses mounting I doubt he gets an offer from anyone now including the NFL. Not that it matters Chad Morris is primed to take over a top program and should Sumlin leave he is the perfect replacement.

Sisk
11-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Ok...we'll do it like this...if Sumlin leaves for USC, and USC only, you are gone from the CS forum for a year from hire date. If an unaffiliated source(mainstream outlet, i.e. Yahoo, SI, AP) reports that Sumlin did indeed reject an offer from USC then I am gone for a year.

Deal?

There's your post.

Pelicans78
11-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Not even sure what kind of job Sumlin has done at A&M. Manziel is the biggest reason for his success.

KobeOwnsDuncan
11-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Not even sure what kind of job Sumlin has done at A&M. Manziel is the biggest reason for his success.

He is an average coach at best.

Sisk
11-30-2013, 06:35 PM

We weren't supposed to compete in the SEC. We have because of Manziel, Sumlin's system, etc. He's recruited better than any coach in our history.

benefactor
11-30-2013, 08:07 PM
There's your post.
...a post with terms that you agreed to...terms that say he had to reject an offer.

It's like Texas and Oliver Luck. There was heavy speculation/rumors from many legit sources that Texas was targeting him and that he was going to be offered the AD position. However, they never offered him anything and one interview from Patterson and the search was over.

Same with Sumlin and USC. There was speculation they were targeting him and Gruden, but it was all talk and there was no official contact with Sumiln's camp and USC(there obviously would not have been anyway, as the season is still going on). So essentially our bet would have had to happen in the offseason for it to really work out...as that would be the only time we would get any real confirmation of a job offer.

All that said, congrats on locking him up for the next six years.

FkLA
11-30-2013, 08:41 PM
I just can't stop laughing at that selfie avatar, gets me every time...:lmao

Blake
11-30-2013, 09:25 PM
He is an average coach at best.

yeah, not exciting news, not bad news. Just meh.

Vito Corleone
12-01-2013, 02:04 AM
We weren't supposed to compete in the SEC. We have because of Manziel, Sumlin's system, etc. He's recruited better than any coach in our history.

Compete is a subjective word, you play all the games on your schedule but outside of catching Bama sleeping last year, you really haven't competed. This year you lost to all the ranked teams you played with the exception of Ole Miss.

I'd say Missouri is the one that has truly competed since joining. You have gone from top 5 ranking to unranked.

Sisk
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Compete is a subjective word, you play all the games on your schedule but outside of catching Bama sleeping last year, you really haven't competed. This year you lost to all the ranked teams you played with the exception of Ole Miss.

I'd say Missouri is the one that has truly competed since joining. You have gone from top 5 ranking to unranked.

Sumlin is 19-6 at A&M with a Heisman trophy winner, Outland trophy winner, and recruiting top 5 nationally. The team was 6-6 in the B12 the year before he took over. So he lost as many games as the previous team did in one season in his first two in a conference we were supposed to be a bottom feeder in, according to many.

Blake
12-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Sumlin is 19-6 at A&M with a Heisman trophy winner, Outland trophy winner, and recruiting top 5 nationally. The team was 6-6 in the B12 the year before he took over. So he lost as many games as the previous team did in one season in his first two in a conference we were supposed to be a bottom feeder in, according to many.

if only A&M had stayed.

.....what might have been......

Sisk
12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
if only A&M had stayed.

.....what might have been......

Glad we didn't.

Michael Jordan.
12-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Sumlin is average. And will look even moreso when Manziel leaves. Nice job A&M.

Blake
12-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Glad we didn't.

that chick fil a bowl with Aggy vs Duke is gon be awesome.

DesignatedT
12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
yeah, not exciting news, not bad news. Just meh.

Kingsbury :lmao

Michael Jordan.
12-01-2013, 02:36 PM
:lol giving an extension out of fear he was leaving for the Texans.

Blake
12-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Kingsbury :lmao

ok

benefactor
12-01-2013, 03:29 PM
:lol giving an extension out of fear he was leaving for the Texans.
This probably had more to do with it than USC tbh.

Vito Corleone
12-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Steve Alfred 2.0

DMX7
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM

He didn't recruit Manziel and the buzz of playing in the SEC isn't going to last forever. Sumlin is looking more and more like an incredibly average coach the more we see him.

Sisk
12-01-2013, 11:27 PM
He didn't recruit Manziel and the buzz of playing in the SEC isn't going to last forever. Sumlin is looking more and more like an incredibly average coach the more we see him.

Would Manziel have won a Heisman playing in Sherman's system?

Vito Corleone
12-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Sherman was a below average coach when it comes to running a offense, but he is proving to be a much better coach on the defensive side of the ball.

So far Sumlin has proven he is a great offensive mind, there is no doubt about this, but I don't see anything that tells me he is any good on the defensive side.

I think the Mike Leach comparisons are spot on, and that isn't completely a bad thing, Steve Spurrier is in the same boat he won a title with Bob Stoops as his DC.

But until he hires a quality DC he isn't going to win Jack in the sec.

Sisk
12-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Sherman was a below average coach when it comes to running a offense, but he is proving to be a much better coach on the defensive side of the ball.

So far Sumlin has proven he is a great offensive mind, there is no doubt about this, but I don't see anything that tells me he is any good on the defensive side.

I think the Mike Leach comparisons are spot on, and that isn't completely a bad thing, Steve Spurrier is in the same boat he won a title with Bob Stoops as his DC.

All of that bs and you didn't answer the question.

Blake
12-02-2013, 12:48 AM

If he can fool the dolphins into drafting Tannehill, I don't see why not.

Blake
12-02-2013, 12:54 AM

Sumlin took over for Briles, a Leach protege that had Hologerson as OC, another Leach protege, while keeping kingsbury on as OC at A&M.

There's definitely Leach semen in there.

Vito Corleone
12-02-2013, 01:17 AM
All of that bs and you didn't answer the question.

There is no answer to that stupid question, for all we know Sherman might have led the aggsy to an undefeated season this year since he has proven to be a much better defensive mind than Sumlin.

You want me to say no, but the truth is we don't know, what we do know is that the rules of the game are to win, not win individual awards. Winning individual awards are nice but winning games is what coaches get paid to do.

aggsy will never stop being aggsy.

Twisted_Dawg
12-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Sumlin took over for Briles, a Leach protege that had Hologerson as OC, another Leach protege, while keeping kingsbury on as OC at A&M.

There's definitely Leach semen in there.

Sumlin is an incredible recruiter and so far a good CEO HC. But anybody watching ATM this year could see serious problems in the offensive game plans, play calling and offensive adjustments which in my view are largely attributable to the OC Clarence McKinney. Now we will see if Sumlin has that cold blooded Jimmy Johnson type of ruthless decision making and replaces McKinney with a different OC. It was a damn shame we did not see Johnny run the zone read this year or any option pitches.

And speaking of the Leach Air Raid offense, I'm not so sure it can be successful against the big SEC powers. Looks great against SMU, Sam Houston State, but not so good against the big powers. If Sumlin can't see his offense needs some tweaking by running more, they are doomed for more failure. I can't stand that offense when they team is in the red zone and is not able to put the QB under center, or has 3 and 2 and has the QB back in the spread.

Blake
12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
And speaking of the Leach Air Raid offense, I'm not so sure it can be successful against the big SEC powers. Looks great against SMU, Sam Houston State, but not so good against the big powers. If Sumlin can't see his offense needs some tweaking by running more, they are doomed for more failure. I can't stand that offense when they team is in the red zone and is not able to put the QB under center, or has 3 and 2 and has the QB back in the spread.

Johnny seemed to do just fine last year with Kliff. South Carolina is doing well with the fun and gun lite.

OU and UT stop Tech every year because they have 5 star team defense speed/power vs 3 star offense.

DMX7
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Johnny seemed to do just fine last year with Kliff. South Carolina is doing well with the fun and gun lite.

OU and UT stop Tech every year because they have 5 star team defense speed/power vs 3 star offense.

So does K-State, but they manage to stick it to UT almost every year.

Blake
12-03-2013, 03:40 PM
So does K-State, but they manage to stick it to UT almost every year.

yeah, Snyder is one hell of a coach that really gets his guys to focus on all facets of the game.

Funny thing there is that Leach always seemed to stick it to Snyder.

djohn2oo8
10-18-2014, 04:34 PM
:lol

benefactor
10-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Sumlin is average. And will look even moreso when Manziel leaves. Nice job A&M.
Looking like a pretty big truth nuke atm.

PublicOption
10-18-2014, 04:43 PM
He is trying to get fired.

Jack Hould
10-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Quality bump.

Clipper Nation
10-18-2014, 04:54 PM
:cry "he played us for 5 mill per year"

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2545904

djohn2oo8
11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
:lol

DesignatedT
11-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Sumlin is fine but there needs to be some changes on the staff. Most people including aggies expected a down year this season. The SC win was fools gold as they are horrible but that's the only thing that prompted the hype earlier in the year.

DesignatedT
11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
:cry "he played us for 5 mill per year"

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2545904

I truly feel sorry for you. We take up so much real estate in your head that all you do every day is browse our message boards :lol. So sad.

Clipper Nation
11-16-2014, 07:16 PM
I truly feel sorry for you. We take up so much real estate in your head that all you do every day is browse our message boards :lol. So sad.

That was literally four weeks ago and took minutes to find.

DMX7
11-16-2014, 07:41 PM
The question is "does Charlie Strong find a way to steal all of the Aggy recruiting momentum and leave Aggy stranded in the SEC without the blue chip recruiting victories its been coasting to the last two years?".

DMX7
11-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Also, if Aggy isn't good next year, then when is it ever going to be good?

Blake
11-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Also, if Aggy isn't good next year, then when is it ever going to be good?

Or if even if Aggy is good next year, will it be good enough to beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ol Piss, Piss St and Arkansas.

:cry but at least we aren't in the Bevo 12 :cry :cry :cry

DesignatedT
11-17-2014, 02:33 PM
:lol tech

Blake
11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
:lol tech

Would have been an easy win for aggy this year.

it's finally starting to sink in what life in the SEC means, isn't it

DesignatedT
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM
The SEC is great :tu Thanks for your concern. Wouldn't even think about being in another conference.

Blake
11-17-2014, 05:35 PM
The chick fil a bowl makes you happy as long as you're reppin det SEC.

Lol whatever :lol

Avante
11-17-2014, 05:37 PM
The chick fil a bowl makes you happy as long as you're reppin det SEC.

Lol whatever :lol

Always bugging others, sheesh~~~~~~~~

Blake
11-17-2014, 05:46 PM
:cry someone is talking junk on a messageboard:cry :cry :cry

Avante
11-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Just own it then guy, ok? Cool this stupid..."I don't bug everyone"...because yes you do, ok?

Blake
11-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Just own it then guy, ok? Cool this stupid..."I don't bug everyone"...because yes you do, ok?

Oh cool. More whine.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2014, 06:49 PM

You seem to really enjoy following Blake around and humping his leg, Old Faggot.

Avante
11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Oh cool. More whine.

Stop bugging everyone, ok?

Avante
11-17-2014, 06:54 PM
You seem to really enjoy following Blake around and humping his leg, Old Faggot.

Anyone talking to you little guy, ah...nope...so shut up..ok?

Blake
11-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Anyone talking to you little guy, ah...nope...so shut up..ok?

keep making this personal instead of staying on topic. It improves Spurstalk.

djohn2oo8
11-27-2014, 10:54 PM
:lmao