PDA

View Full Version : Sonics to meet with Vlade next week; may be talking trade

ducks
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Sonics to meet with Vlade next week; may be talking trade

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

The Sonics will sit down with Vladimir Radmanovic early next week in Seattle in a meeting that will ultimately define their relationship with the restricted free agent.

The sides have frequently been at odds regarding his role as a reserve forward and pursuit of a long-term contract since Seattle selected him 12th overall in the 2001 draft.

After being denied an extension last year, Radmanovic averaged 11.8 points and 4.6 rebounds and was a candidate for the NBA's sixth man of the year award before suffering a regular-season ending stress fracture in his right fibula.

Seattle has extended him a multi-year offer with a yearly salary between $6 million and $7 million. Still, it's far less than the five-year, $47 million deal that Bobby Simmons will reportedly receive from Milwaukee and the three-year, $24 million deal that Kwame Brown is expected to receive from the Los Angeles Lakers.
Both forwards were drafted in 2001. Last season, Simmons produced better averages (16.4 points and 5.9 rebounds) than Radmanovic, but Brown (7.0 and 4.9) didn't fare as well.

"My motto all along has been to remain cautiously optimistic," said Radmanovic's agent, David Bauman. "We haven't had much movement yet, but that doesn't mean we won't."

Radmanovic, who is vacationing in Serbia and Montenegro, is scheduled to return to Seattle on Monday and speak with general manager Rick Sund and president Wally Walker on Tuesday.

The Sonics are unable to comment on player negotiations until the new collective-bargaining agreement is ratified, but it appears the team is prepared to have Radmanovic sign a one-year tender worth $3.2 million.

By doing so, the 6-foot-10 forward will become an unrestricted free agent next season and the Sonics will save between $3 million and $6 million, which they can spend on restricted free agents Ronald Murray, Reggie Evans and Damien Wilkins.

Bauman declined to comment on the likelihood of pursuing a sign-and-trade deal, although that scenario remains a possibility.

One league source said yesterday the Sonics have had several discussions with teams about trading Radmanovic and Murray in separate deals, although it's unclear if Seattle is initiating the talks.

The Sonics have maintained since free agency began that their first priority is re-signing their players, including Ray Allen, who agreed to a five-year, $80 million deal. Unrestricted free agents Jerome James and Antonio Daniels, however, will not return.

Note

• Former Atlanta center Predrag Drobnjak, who played two seasons with the Sonics, will not return to the NBA next season and has agreed to a $3 million to $4 million deal with a team in Vittoria, Spain, according to Bauman, who is his agent. Drobnjak is expected to sign the contract next week.

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

ObiwanGinobili
07-28-2005, 01:36 PM
from your title i thought you meant Divac.

spur219
07-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Rasho for Radmonovic. Seattle needs a center.

Gino2882
07-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Radmanovic would be a nice 3 in SA.

boutons
07-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Rad wants to start, he won't start in SA.

ICE3000
07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Dont ever call Radmanovic Vlade again

ducks
07-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I got the title from the article

Dre_7
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Rad wants to start, he won't start in SA.

Why couldnt he? Hes a 3 right?

Bowen could come off the bench.

Kori Ellis
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Dont ever call Radmanovic Vlade again

That's what he's called in Seattle. Divac doesn't have exclusive rights to the name Vlade.

Dre_7
07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Starters:
Parker
Manu
Rad
Timmy
Nazr

Bench:
Barry
Bowen
Horry
Brown and/or Dogg

Very nice!!

ace3g
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Why couldnt he? Hes a 3 right?

Bowen could come off the bench.

because bowen still has 1 or 2 more good years left in him, I was thinking the same thing though when I first saw this article that the spurs can trade rasho for radmanovic, I think their salaries would equal each other after if the sonics would sign him to the amount stated in the article

but I dont know how good of a defensive player radman is; I do know he can shoot the 3, but defense comes first and how old is he again

Dre_7
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
because bowen still has 1 or 2 more good years left in him, I was thinking the same thing though when I first saw this article that the spurs can trade rasho for radmanovic, I think their salaries would equal each other after if the sonics would sign him to the amount stated in the article

but I dont know how good of a defensive player radman is; I do know he can shoot the 3, but defense comes first and how old is he again

With Bowen getting older, commin off the bench might be better for him.

ace3g
07-28-2005, 09:23 PM
another thing you would have to worry about if the spurs made that trade rasho for radman is the injury radman suffered last season right before the playoffs

timvp
07-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Radman would be a horrible fit in SA. He doesn't defend and wants to start. Throw in the huge contract and it'd be a nightmare.

Just say no.

Kori Ellis
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Two in fold, Vlad next?

FRANK HUGHES; The News Tribune

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5071628p-4622373c.html

On the eve of announcing the signing of Ray Allen, and with point guard Rick Brunson also soon to join the fold, the Seattle SuperSonics continue contract negotiations with forward Vladimir Radmanovic in hopes of signing the four-year veteran to a long-term deal.

Allen will be available at a news conference this afternoon to discuss his five-year, $80 million deal that could include another $5 million in incentive bonuses, though those incentives are difficult to achieve.

Brunson, a serviceable journeyman who will back up starter Luke Ridnour, will sign a contract this weekend, according to a source. Brunson, who has been with six teams in nine seasons – including two stints apiece with New York, Portland and Chicago – will sign a one-year, $1 million deal. It will be the first guaranteed contract of Brunson’s career.

He played in 80 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season, averaging a career-high 5.5 points and 5.1 assists.

The Radmanovic situation is a bit more tenuous. The Sonics are offering a six-year deal that, with incentives, could be worth as much as $42 million.

Citing the five-year, $47 million deal signed by Bobby Simmons, who left the Clippers to go to Milwaukee, Radmanovic’s side is asking for another $1.5 million per season, giving him a six-year, $51 million deal.

Radmanovic flew to Seattle from Serbia-Montenegro and his agent, David Bauman, came in from his Washington, D.C., home to meet with Sonics owner Howard Schultz, CEO Wally Walker and general manager Rick Sund over the past few days.

Negotiations will continue today.

If the Sonics do not increase their offer, Bauman said it is likely Radmanovic will sign a one-year tender offer worth $3.2 million, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent next season. Radmanovic has until Sept. 15 to sign the one-year tender.

“Vladimir’s first choice is to be here, which is why he flew in from Belgrade and will miss the first week of training for the national team,” Bauman said. “We are hopeful we are going to get a deal, but it is too early to say what it is going to be.”

The Sonics would like to get a decision from Radmanovic so they can move forward in attempting to sign their other free agents.

Most notably, they need to sign a center to replace the departed Jerome James.

The Sonics have had discussions with Vitaly Potapenko, though they are asking Potapenko to take a significant pay cut from last season’s $6 million salary. They also have brought in DeSagana Diop, who had a lackluster four seasons with Cleveland, where he averaged 1.6 points.

Rescueone
08-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Starters:
Parker
Manu
Rad
Timmy
Nazr

Bench:
Barry
Bowen
Horry